• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Dangertrout

I am currently triple hunting in X, Pearl and SS. nothing yet.
anyone else ever notice when you have a bad day it just makes the shiny hunting more irritating?
It just feels like my game are hellbent on making my bad day worse.
Almost over the odds in Pearl. I think I'll probably focus on it tonight and see if the hunt DOES go over

Nakashima

@Crimson Penguin: Haha, 210 is indeed not a lot, but once youve been spoiled, anything feels more than it is =3 Hope something shines for you soon! Also, OMG REMAKES \o/

@Shao-May: I'm always terrified of attacking the wrong thing if theres more than one target. Not just in hordes, even in in double encounters. Im bad lol

@HunterMetroid: Welcome to the thread! ^^ Personally, I dont like every hunt being the same. RE is a nice break from hatching or SR'ing, and it adds an extra bit excitement for me personaly.

@ChaoticInverse: 26k.. .darn thats bad. Dont give up!

@Missingno. Master: Congrats on the Horsea! Beatiful shiny =]

@Shadowkrow: Hope something shines soon!
----------

I just got to 460 SR's in my tepig hunt, moving real slowly.. but I just dont have that much time to focus on it. Hoping it'll shine in the next week or 2, cause imma have to step away from it for 10 days after those two weeks.. Real life and all that jazz.

Still pondering to buy an extra system to hunt on.. why do they have to be so expensive here compared to in the states.. BLAH. No, companies, changing the $ to € is not a conversion. -.-

MDS777

The name's Riley
Congrats to everyone on their recent shinies.

I just hatched #750 for Charmander, still no shiny, and my box is now full. Time to release the Charmader to make room for more.

Good luck everyone. Especially ShadowKrow, DangerTrout, ChaoticInverse, ShaoMay, Keane, and Supremacy :)

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Congrats to everyone who has gotten a shiny since my last post many weeks ago, and especially congrats to maldoror on Ducklett, Shao-May on Zubat, and Missingo. Master on Horsea! I read everyone's shiny adventures even though I only make my own posts when I have shinies to report or to answer questions.

And today, I have two shinies to report! First up in Swinub, who I actually hatched several weeks ago and I am just now getting around to posting about because I've been extremely busy finishing up the school year. I hatched her very early on in my trade request because she has a Naughty nature, which fortunately isn't the worst - at least it raises Attack instead of lowering it. She hatched in a Dream Ball with 3 IVs and 3 egg moves: Icicle Crash, Stealth Rock, and AncientPower. Here are some pictures of her!

[IMG300]http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/emstauss/IMG_2355_zpsbb8e7cb2.jpg[/IMG300]

[IMG300]http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/emstauss/IMG_2354_zpsef763f27.jpg[/IMG300]

Did you guys know that Swinub has FEET??? Because I sure didn't until I used Pokemon Amie.

And my second shiny is an RE that I found just now in the Friend Safari when I was trying to catch a female HA Dusclops. I was mindlessly REing and I heard the shiny sound, and I looked down, and see SHINY LAMPENT! I was really excited because I love shiny Litwick/Lampent/Chandelure. I caught this girl in a Luxury Ball. What's really depressing, though, is that my Impish syncher worked on her, even though it hadn't been working on any of the Dusclops I found. So she has an Impish nature, which is really depressing, especially because she also has IVs in Special Attack and Special Defense. *sigh* I want a Chandelure for my competitive team at some point, and having shinies that could be competitive but aren't because of nature or something bugs me, so I'll consider trading her for another shiny if someone wants her. Let the requests start rolling in!

[IMG300]http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/emstauss/IMG_2367_zps1c0ec469.jpg[/IMG300]

Thank you everyone for your congrats :) You're all so sweet.

Congrats to Varanus on your Swinub and Lampent and good luck everyone on your hunts! I have a lot of things to go after (playing through HeartGold again, which naturally has a LOT of legendaries available for SRing!) but next on my agenda for SRing are probably Latios in Black2 and Ho-Oh when I get to him.

TheGreaterLucario

Well, here I go. After the revelation that in X/Y, Mewtwo and the Legendary Birds are NOT Shiny Locked, I'm going to try and SR for a Shiny Zapdos. Wish me luck everyone!

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Well, here I go. After the revelation that in X/Y, Mewtwo and the Legendary Birds are NOT Shiny Locked, I'm going to try and SR for a Shiny Zapdos. Wish me luck everyone!

But they are locked..

Keyblade_Cub

Been MIA for a few days on this thread, so Congrats to every one that's gotten Shinys since my last visit.

Well since my last post I finally encountered a Shiny Nidoran and it was the male which is what I wanted. I trained him to learn Helping hand. So CH 1/2 ?

[IMG139]http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b541/Numbur11/31A509CB-6A15-4663-973D-7644823F236F_zpsvlnyqecx.jpg[/IMG139]

[IMG139]http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b541/Numbur11/89763862-7F19-4808-94DF-7A2D5461FF8C_zpsbzdbplqh.jpg[/IMG139]

After that I was still MMing for a Skitty. I never ever use Skitty and out of the list of CH Pokemon I chose Skitty as May's Pokemon. I was really determined to get this darn Shiny. Finally after 1,732 EGGS... I hatched one today and didn't even notice it.

[IMG139]http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b541/Numbur11/61748247-751C-48FB-80F1-F142ED9D3158_zpsufo29jfv.jpg[/IMG139]

It was so hard to tell sometimes. I looked at one and it didn't look shiny. But I looked through the party of some of the eggs I hatched and noticed and and shouted "I GOT IT." CH 2/2 ?
I also ended up finding a Shiny Paras in someone's safari the other day.

This is the first time doing a community hunt so I've very happy to be apart part of it along with everyone else.

So now that I completed it.... how do I get put on the "Completed Hunts" list?

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
When I encountered psyduck it did sparkle like normally, yes. I've been wondering about something sort of similar though, as occasionally a horde will show only 3-ish of the pokemon, and I've been worrying that if a shiny appears on the periphery it will be hard to spot... does anyone know if this is a possibility?

I chase quite a few hordes after shinies, and I can tell you that even if the screen is zoomed in on the middle three of the horde and the shiny is on the very end, yes it does still sparkle normally and the screen dims. I make a point of ALWAYS keeping the sound on so I can hear it, too. It's more irritating for pokemon like wingull, which shows shininess by green stripes instead of blue, and it takes some squinting and waiting for the POV to change before you can spot the green (I know this from entirely too much personal experience with shiny wingulls in hordes). Most of the time you can at least catch the very edge of the sparkles on the side of the screen. Even if you can't, the way the screen dims when the sparkles go off is a major giveaway that you got a horde shiny.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I was looking for a Hitmontop on the GTS and what do I find? A shiny Hitmontop. And what was he/she desiring? An Eelektross. Wow...you must be really generous or really desperate to do that. And this is coming from "Trade your Mew for my Magikarp" GTS. And it also happens today I find out that the Gen III remakes are coming out.

WINNING!

eiger

Shiny Hunter
I do have a question. Why do people go for the RE, when MM would be the more "reliable" method, given you can choose the Pokemon and its nature, rather than risking finding the wrong Pokemon and having to continue your hunt for who knows how many hours?

Personally I also prefer MM. I make it alot harder by MMing untill I find the Perfect 5IV shiny. With Froakie I hatched 2 shinies before hatching the correct one.

supersmew

Let me heal your ⓗ♈ʒ
*evil laugh* I'm back! Big blanket congrats to the people who've obtained a shiny in my long absence.

So whilst I've been on - off the forums I've been hunting Hawlucha with MM and Wartortle, Octillery and Frogadier in the Friend Safari. I also had my hand at trying Sweet Scent, but I think I prefer normal REing, having to go to my Combee's moves just feels off. On the topic of the new remakes coming up, when they are released I'll continue hunting Groudon. Maybe it'll actually shine! *ha ha* That's a lie and I know it.

Ajduk

Hatched a shiny Trapinch after 25 eggs.
It was ok...jolly, 5 IV, but lacking speed. So I decided to keep him and
to hatch the rest of my eggs. 100 eggs later, a SHINY JOLLY 6 IV TRAPINCH hatched!!!

Dangertrout

So now that I completed it.... how do I get put on the "Completed Hunts" list?

You wait for me to wake up and read your post :p
If I don't add you after a day or two, you send me a message because I was probably busy and didn't see your post.

edit - Last night I found a shiny Venomoth is FS, and today a shiny Muk. Still no Seviper >.<
The Muk is kinda neat though, hidden ability + 5% hold item
Now if something could just shine on this Pearl game....
(I have 4 systems in front of me right now... I feel silly >.<)

edit 2 - Ha!! Shiny Seviper is mine!

Last edited:

TheGreaterLucario

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Really? People on here before have said that they aren't.

I doubt they've said that for a very long time, as i believe most have known for months now, or at least the frequenters here have known for months that Mewtwo and the Birds are Shiny locked on Pokemon X/Y.

Sad as it is, there's no evidence to show otherwise.

They aren't,they just HAVE to be shiny on the first encounter,so you have to save before you first see it,if it's not shiny then try again

They are. It's been known for months that they are shiny locked. You cannot SR for any Shiny Legendaries in Pokemon X/Y. If you could then someone somewhere in the world would have had a legitimate Shiny Mewtwo or Shiny Bird by now.

Last edited:

shinyclauncher1234

the shinyclauncher12
Really? People on here before have said that they aren't.

They aren't,they just HAVE to be shiny on the first encounter,so you have to save before you first see it,if it's not shiny then try again

shinyclauncher1234

the shinyclauncher12
Sorry if you guys haven't seen it but on a Japanese forum (not sure what it's called don't speak jap) there was a kalos native shiny zapdos........

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Everything I've seen about the legends in X/Y says they are shiny locked.

Same here. Until someone on this thread (because I trust you guys :p ) posts a picture of them battling a shiny Mewtwo or bird on Gen VI, I'm going to assume they're shiny-locked.

Sorry if you guys haven't seen it but on a Japanese forum (not sure what it's called don't speak jap) there was a kalos native shiny zapdos........

There's also a new XY cheating device that allows you to hack shininess into shiny-locked Pokemon. The number of shiny Xerneas and Yvetal I've battled on PSS makes me sick. I've also battled people with Diancie, which hasn't even been released yet.