• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Jessara

Shiny Hunter
The shiny moltres in the pic that was posted looks cool, I'll have to hunt one on one of my games someday. Congrats on all of the new shinies, people! Also thanks to those who commented/said congrats about my shiny caterpie.

I kind of guessed this could of happened but didn't expect it to, last night I had just finished watching Frozen on bluray and the credits had just ended. I had been REing during the entire movie then suddenly a bright yellow caterpie appeared! He is the second one I've gotten from this hunt ad appeared 31 game hours after the first one. Just a little question, which one would you keep as a caterpie and which one would you evolve?

Caterpie #1: Male, sassy nature

Caterpie #2 Male, hardy nature

[IMG139]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/Anakari/My%20Shinies/photo104_zps2bf582c1.jpg[/IMG139][IMG139]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/Anakari/My%20Shinies/photo105_zpscd22ee7d.jpg[/IMG139][IMG139]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/Anakari/My%20Shinies/photo106_zpsaa9b5f76.jpg[/IMG139]

Despite getting a double, I will continue looking for a shiny scatterbug in the forest :) Good luck to you all with shiny hunting.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
There should be a petition or something asking GF to STOP shiny-locking the legendaries >.< Not being able to SR them shiny takes part of the challenge (or the fun, however you look at it) away.

Anyway, round 3 for pachirisu is over and again the pink electric squirrel proves elusive. I just finished my in-game daily running around and am about to begin round 4 egg collection. I'd've been well into egg collecting already, except that I spent the afternoon playing Titanfall instead of pokemon.

I've also decided on my next MM after pachirisu. It's gonna be audino. Yes, I am going to breed a purple audino. I want one in Black 2 but finding a wild one is Not Easy. So I'm gonna breed for it instead. It learns Helping Hand so it'll count for CH.

There should be a petition or something asking GF to STOP shiny-locking the legendaries >.< Not being able to SR them shiny takes part of the challenge (or the fun, however you look at it) away.

This is why I don't really care if people hack shiny legendaries as long as that's the only thing... all the more power to them, honestly. I really hate the shiny locking thing. It's so silly. I mean, I guess it's okay with the box legendaries, but the rest of them? No thanks.

Congrats to Dangertrout on your Venomoth, Muk and Seviper, MultiDarkShadow777 on your Charmander (awesome!), Zivinolette on your 50 billion Poliwhirls :p, ShinyMisty on your Murkrow and Klefki (so cute! I want one!), Jessara on your Caterpie, and anyone else I've missed! Forgot to mention that I'm actually trying to get a shiny Caterpie myself through MM :) Just something kind of easy as a break since it doesn't have any egg moves and hatches so quickly.

Good luck to everyone on your hunts :)

PokeLads

So, I have been an off and on lurker of these forums for years and have recently become interested in Shiny Pokemon. I may have missed it on the first page but can someone explain to me what 'Shiny Locking' means.

Thanks guys!

StrykerX7

TRUMPETS BE PRAISED
So, I have been an off and on lurker of these forums for years and have recently become interested in Shiny Pokemon. I may have missed it on the first page but can someone explain to me what 'Shiny Locking' means.

Thanks guys!

A "shiny locked" Pokemon is a Pokemon that can't be legitimately shiny. An example of this would be Arceus.

taufik386

hello
i'm new here
first, i want to congrat everyone who get shinies

btw, this morning (i live ini Indonesia) i don't know why, i just want to breed some combees.
and then only just 14 eggs, i hatched a shiny one. and it's female.

LopunnyBunny

: Please Shine
A "shiny locked" Pokemon is a Pokemon that can't be legitimately shiny. An example of this would be Arceus.

Actually, Arceus is not shiny locked. "Shiny Locked" legends weren't introduced until Gen 5. There a number of videos of people SR(ing) a Live Shiny Arceus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQozeNPc23g

Congratulations on any shinies since my last post. :)

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Gratz to Kelv on Dratini and Growlithe, Super Pichu Chan on Latias, maldoror on Ducklett, varanus_komodoensis on Swinub, Keyblade_Cub on Skitty, Ajduk on Trapinch x2, MultiDarkShadow777 on Charmander, ShinyMisty on Klefki, Jessera on Caterpie, taufik386 on Combee, and everyone else!

Just a little question, which one would you keep as a caterpie and which one would you evolve?

Caterpie #1: Male, sassy nature

Caterpie #2 Male, hardy nature

Sassy isn't that great for Butterfree, so I wouldn't evolve that one. Btw, that forest is EVIL! I got Weedle, Panpour, and two Caterpies before I decided to try route 2 for Scatterbug, which I then got on the first phase there. So I think you should try your luck there if you get tired of hunting in that forest. Good luck :]

-------------

After ~4.5k encounters, shiny #6 for my badge quest appears!

Pretty quick hunt! Weepinbell was definitely one of the things I wanted from this route so I'm very pleased. The nature is Bold which isn't too bad; it'll just be a special attacker then. This Weepinbell appeared just in time too, since fairy is the next gym the poison typing well be pretty helpful. My next target, will of course be Rotom! I just have to wait until Tuesday to hunt it. Till then, I'll be hunting Spritzee, which is at 2,150 eggs! It's been awhile since I've had a MM hunt go this far but no way I'm giving up! Challenge accepted you troll bird!

Good luck everyone. :]

Twilit Dragoon

*omnious thunderstorm*
Hello everyone, congrats to new shinies(Caterpie, Weepinbell, Klefki on this page, and to everyone else I didn't list, as there are too many since my last post). EDIT: oh and the Charmander/Murkrow I see from typing this post.

A lot has happened since my last post. The store I was working at decided to shut down so I lost my job. I had to spend the better part of a week helping tear down the store(packing up everything, they even took the cupboards, microwave and mini fridge from the break room!) and I have bruises EVERYWHERE xD. Shiny hunting is going to be back in full swing for the summer, then I need to look for work again.

~

Well yesterday, I didn't feel like playing Y, so I decided that I was going to play HeartGold again. The plan was to go beat the Elite 4, but I remembered that I needed to catch Ho-oh first, so what better way to do so than to SR for a shiny one? I had a good feeling about this hunt for some reason, as none of my Ho-oh hunts tended to go over 200 SRs(first appeared at TEN resets and the second at 104). I was busy talking to a few friends in chat, when all of a sudden, after 269 SRs:

Shiny Ho-oh! I heard the sparkles ring out and when I glanced down at my DS screen, there it was in all is golden glory!

The plan was to catch it in a Heal Ball, but after running out of them, and Ho-oh was steadily losing its moves, I did the best thing and threw the Master Ball.

I was totally surprised by this hunt, I wasn't expecting it to shine as fast as it did, but I'm so happy with this shiny. He has a Naughty nature and some of the best IVs I have had with shiny legends: 5/20/25/27/22/23, all of them but one were in the 20 range!

I love the shinydex
Naughty nature
Trainer ID

Decided to either name him Suzaku or Zhuque, and after asking for votes, Zhuque won :).

I'm playing through the game now, training up the shinies in my party so I can take on the E4! Here's hoping another shiny will decide to pop out of the woodwork, cause this Badge Quest game is still kicking!

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
Congratulations on all the recent shinies!

After getting my shiny starter and getting my first badge, I've moved to Route 32 in SS to RE. Hopefully I can get a Wooper, although a pink Mareep would also be nice :) I've done 1,841 REs so far - still got a way to go until I reach the odds.

Good luck to everyone still hunting!

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Hi guys! Congratulations on the latest shinies since my last post (which brings back!), they are amazing! :D

*sigh*... I don't like posting too much when I have nothing to report, but I guess I'll have to do it if I want you to know that I am well alive.
Nothing shone since April 18th's Shiny Pumpkaboo, unfortunately for me. If we discount XY shinies, I'd be in a month-drought at the moment. At over 80 in-game hours for both Magnemite and Shaymin, which brings my numbers pretty high. That's a little disapointing; they totally refuse to shine, no matter how much I hunt for them!
At least I discovered in the past weeks Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra, so that basically keeps me really occupied as it's really good. I sadly finished Avatar: The Last Airbender this weekend (oh man do I miss this gang! ;_; ) but The Legend of Korra is preventing me from crying on the floor while I curse myself for watching The Last Airbender's 61 episodes too quickly. Darn me ;_;. It's good, but not as good as the prequel was... And knowing they all died except Katara and Prince Zuko in Korra's timeline! Aaaah, the sadness...!

Oh well, I have nothing much else to say. Really hoping to come back with a shiny next time. I really would love any to shine at this point, and I'm hastily waiting to hunt the Pokémon I planned on hunting after these (Ekans in HeartGold and Buneary in Diamond).

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:

Ajduk

Ok, done hatching 300 trapinch eggs :)
Got 3 shinies, 1 flawless, other 2 5 IV :D
Now it is time to hatch some flawless shiny starters :)

mellowrush

Congrats to: MultiDarkShadow777 on Charmander, ShinyMisty on Klefki, Jessera on the Caterpies, taufik386 on Combee, supremacy on Weepinbell , storm_dragoon for ho-oh (sorry for your job situation, I hope it'll get better:)), ajduk on...another tranpinch!? (very lucky!!!) and everyone else!

Daily report: double catch today!
First off, while searching for phantump I found a beautiful shiny lampent

[IMG139]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l341/mellowrush/_20140511_122401_zps2u9qwvjm.jpg?t=1399814065[/IMG139]

Male, with flash fire and a not so upsetting nature, a peachy one :)

[IMG139]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l341/mellowrush/_20140511_122419_zpsr3x98a9s.jpg?t=1399813372[/IMG139]

(The picture doesn't give him the credit he deserves)
It's really beautiful, but wait to see his evolution, Chandelure:

[IMG139]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l341/mellowrush/_20140511_122342_zpshxg4sphf.jpg?t=1399813540[/IMG139]

Pretty awesome ^.^ (the expression is a little spooky too)

But, as I told you at the beginning of this post, it's not all!
While horde hunting (for a shiny nidoran), I found instead this little stenchy fellow (it's quite recognisable in the bunch)

[IMG139]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l341/mellowrush/_20140511_130417_zpsnldiive8.jpg?t=1399813862[/IMG139]

[IMG139]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l341/mellowrush/_20140511_130342_zpsqf0azmkp.jpg?t=1399813946[/IMG139]

[IMG139]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l341/mellowrush/_20140511_130316_zpsuxy65oh4.jpg?t=1399814015[/IMG139]

I wasn't looking for her, but it was a pleasant surprise

Needless to say, it's been a lucky day so far ^.^
Final note for Sapphire BQ: 200 SRs for treecko, still going...patience is a virtue I apparently lack, but I'll keep on fir a while
I hope you guys good fortune on your hunts (especially the prince of may, I hope your month-drought will soon end )!

StrongBad456

Beginning Trainer
I'm still trying to catch a shiny Groudon but it's more difficult that I anticipated. This is my first time SRing for a Pokemon for this long and I'm getting tired but I'm going to keep going. And what makes this seem insane is that I'm doing this without a Master Ball.

Solfatara

Forest-Dweller
Hi all, and congratulations on all the recent shinies! Especially to you, Storm_Dragoon, that ho-oh looks so incredible, and I can't believe your insane luck!... I've never felt too strongly about shiny legendaries, but ho-oh is the only one I would actually really want to try for, as I think it is the prettiest of all of them (love that gray). I might end up trying when I get that far in by badge quest.

Unfortunately I've got no news of joy, even after a couple of days of fairly intense hunting. Ekans/Dratini is still eluding me, at 3360 SRs now (16,800 seen). Almost hoping this will hit the 20,000 mark. Anyway, as this hunt was going so slowly I've taken up another couple. Hatching chespin eggs in X for a Y badge quest I want to run parallell to HG (I hate soft resetting when there's talking involved so I'm starting out with an MM, then will RE the rest of them in Y), and hunting for solosis in my old white file, a hunt which failed a couple of years ago. I'm intent on getting it in genV as I don't much care for the X/Y design of it... I started out triple hunting with REing on route 16, but now I'm dual hatching in white and black 2 after acquiring two japanese dittos on the soon-to-be-shut-down gts! Got one for a foongus and one for a cobalion, everything else had those weird <lv9 demands...

Good luck to everyone,
The Muk is kinda neat though, hidden ability + 5% hold item
Now if something could just shine on this Pearl game....
(I have 4 systems in front of me right now... I feel silly >.<)

This reminds me that my route 32 rattata held a chilan berry! It was a lucky day for sure, with the chance of that occuring dizzyingly being 1/163,840.
Also, I struggle enough with 3 systems, how do you even begin to handle 4?? Kudos!

Good luck to everyone, especially ChaoticInverse on that torchic!

LullabyVullaby

Shiny Collector
Gratz to Kelv on Dratini and Growlithe, Super Pichu Chan on Latias, maldoror on Ducklett, varanus_komodoensis on Swinub, Keyblade_Cub on Skitty, Ajduk on Trapinch x2, MultiDarkShadow777 on Charmander, ShinyMisty on Klefki, Jessera on Caterpie, taufik386 on Combee, Supremacy on Weeinbell, and everyone else!

Well I'm finally done with all that school work and I decided it's finally time to hunt after a week of inactivity and only about 30 mins into hunting...

A shiny Tyrunt appeared after 2880 Seen! I can't believe it happened I was expecting a longer hunt but I'm not complaining. Meanwhile my Chimchar hunt is at 5200 SRs hopefully I don't get another uncatchable Starly they're quite the demotivators. Well I just wanted to update you guys on why I haven't been posting these last few days but I will be able to everyday now. Major congrats on the latest shinies and good luck on your hunts.

tui

moon upon a stick
Congrats to: professorj15 on Inkay, Bolt The Cat on Roggenrola, Kelv on Dratini and Growlithe, Super Pichu Chan on Latias (such a good shiny form!), Rain Dance on Drowzee (though I really hope you get Trapinch!), maldoror on Ducklett, varanus_komodoensis on Swinub and Lampent, Keyblade_cub on Nidoran and Skitty, Ajduk on Trapinch x3, Dangertrout on Venomoth, Muk and Seviper, ShinyMisty on Murkrow and Klefki (though I hope you get Purrloin next!), MultiDarkShadow777 on Charmander, Jessara on another Caterpie (still a good shiny imo!), taufik386 on Combee, Supremacy on Weepinbell, Storm_Dragoon on Ho-oh (also, I really like the nickname you gave it!), mellowrush on Lampent and Stunky, LullabyVullaby on Tyrunt, and anyone else I might've missed!

I've been collecting and hatching Igglybuffs all day, and I finished hatching a few minutes ago, leaving the hunt sitting at 1507 eggs. I found it harder to hunt today, it just seemed to drag on and is possibly the slowest I've ever collected and hatched the amount of eggs I did (147 in 9 hours) considering that I can clear 120 in 6! Anyway, I'm switching to Cranidos for the rest of the night as a bit of a release from constant eggs.

Good luck to everyone!

Ajduk

Congratz everyone on you recent shinies :) That shiny Ho-Oh is amazing, gg :D
I am currently doing my starter pokemon shiny hunt, going with totodile, no luck so far but I am still at the beginning :)
I wanted to ask you is there any connection between MM and pokemon IVs?
Here is what I am talking about:
During MM with 6 IV Ditto and 4 IV Dratini I got 0 shinies in 700 eggs.
During MM with 6 IV Ditto and 2 IV Charmander I got 0 shinies in 900 eggs.
During MM with 6 IV Ditto and 5 IV honedge I got 0 shinies in 500 eggs.
During MM with 6 IV Ditto and other 6 IV pokemon I got:
-Protean Froakie after 8 eggs
-Noibat after 25 eggs
-Mawile after 60 eggs
-Trapinch x3 in 210 eggs

Weird....

so at 1:20 am or so I was bored RE in the friend safari because I didn't feel like sleeping and found a shiny phantump :) I called him soultear.

Kelv

Congrats to everyone.

I just found a shiny Pansear in the friend safari while looking for a shiny Charmeleon LOL. At least it's Timid because my Timid Kirlia with Sync is in the front.

It was around 20+ encounters before it appeared. Hopefully I get lucky and find a shiny Charmie.

Wow LullabyVullaby you are lucky, congrats. And shiny Stuntank looks really nice, MellowRush. Good luck to everyone's shiny hunt, and thank you all for the congrats.

Congratz everyone on you recent shinies :) That shiny Ho-Oh is amazing, gg :D
I am currently doing my starter pokemon shiny hunt, going with totodile, no luck so far but I am still at the beginning :)
I wanted to ask you is there any connection between MM and pokemon IVs?
Here is what I am talking about:
During MM with 6 IV Ditto and 4 IV Dratini I got 0 shinies in 700 eggs.
During MM with 6 IV Ditto and 2 IV Charmander I got 0 shinies in 900 eggs.
During MM with 6 IV Ditto and 5 IV honedge I got 0 shinies in 500 eggs.
During MM with 6 IV Ditto and other 6 IV pokemon I got:
-Protean Froakie after 8 eggs
-Noibat after 25 eggs
-Mawile after 60 eggs
-Trapinch x3 in 210 eggs

Weird....

Sorry for making two posts in one page but google isn't coming up with anything clear, how do you get a pokemon with 6 IV's? Do you use vitamins? Can you link me to a step by step guide on how to do it?

Last edited by a moderator: