• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Sorry for making two posts in one page but google isn't coming up with anything clear, how do you get a pokemon with 6 IV's? Do you use vitamins? Can you link me to a step by step guide on how to do it?

This isn't the thread for this question, but in short, you're mixing up EVs and IVs. EVs are "Effort Values" and you control how many your Pokemon get and where they go through battling and vitamins. IVs are "Individual Values" and are like Pokemon genes - they are set when the Pokemon is caught or hatched and CANNOT be changed.

To get a 6IV Pokemon, you have to use the Destiny Knot, preferably with a 6IV parent to make it go faster. The Destiny Knot guarantees the passing of 5 IVs BETWEEN the parents. To make a long story short, if you don't have a 6IV Ditto, you get two parent Pokemon, both with at least one IV of 31, and breed them until you get a 2 IV Pokemon. Switch it in for the parent of the same gender. Keep doing this until you get two 5IV parents and breed those until you get a 6IV offspring.

The faster way to do this to have a 6IV Ditto and breed a Pokemon with it until you have a 6IV Ditto and a 5IV parent in the DayCare. Then breed until you get a 6IV one. Getting a 6IV Pokemon is fairly rare; I've hatched over 5,000 eggs with a 6IV Ditto and a 4-5 IV parent in the DayCare with it, and I've only gotten 5 or 6 6IV Pokemon.

If you have any more questions about this, visit the Super Training EV/IV Thread or the Official X and Y Help Thread. You can also VM or PM me if you want me to explain the difference between EVs and IVs, and how to EV train and IV breed in more detail.

Sorry for making two posts in one page but google isn't coming up with anything clear, how do you get a pokemon with 6 IV's? Do you use vitamins? Can you link me to a step by step guide on how to do it?

lol vitamins, yes that's how you do it... http://nuggetbridge.com/breeding/breeding-perfect-pokemon-x-y/
what I didwas get the pokemon I wanted(mincinno in dream ball) and breed it with 2 iv dittos from friend safari, a million eggs later(or so!) I put a 5 iv female mincinno with a 5 ivmale absol and ended up getting a 6 iv female who is now in with Japanese absol. hopefully a shiny will hatch soon.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
YESSS!

Finally! This took 2,152 eggs, it was actually the second egg I hatched after waking up so it definitely caught me off guard lol. I started this MM hunt near the end of March so I'm glad it's finally over. She even got her hidden ability Aroma Veil! <3 Now onto the IVs..

X/X/31/31/31/X

Attack and speed don't really matter in this case but it kinda sucks that HP got left out, hopefully it's not too low though. Still happy with her and I will start ev training soon. :] I think I'm gonna MM Assist Espurr for the second part of the CH. I'm hoping for a female with it's hidden ability.

Anyways, thanks to everyone who wished me luck on this hunt, it really meant a lot. :]

Gratz on the recent shinies, especially Storm_Dragoon on Ho-oh and LullabyVullaby on Tyrunt. Good luck everyone!

Kelv

Sorry for the off topic question and thanks for the explanation and links.

On topic, over 100 encounters at the FS and still no shiny Charmeleon. I thought since I got that shiny Pansear so early in my quest, maybe Charmeleon would have popped up soon after. But that has not been the case.

MDS777

The name's Riley
Congrats to ShinyMisty on Klefki, Zivinolette on four Poliwhirl (wow), Jessara on Caterpie, taufik386 on Combee (female! how nice), Supremacy on Weepinbell and Spritzee, StormDragoon on Ho-Oh (very nice!), Roseheart95 on your shiny starter, Ajduk on your shinies, mellowrush on Lampent and Stunky, LullabyVullaby on Tyrunt, Kelv on Pansear, and anyone else who I may have missed.

Welp, that was quick! After 9 eggs, shiny Eevee hatched. Unfortunately, it did not get the HA, nor the nature I want, but that's okay. None of my shinies are really great for competitive use anyway.
[IMG139]http://i.imgur.com/jUQus3p.jpg[/IMG139]
My next MM hunt is going to be Magnemite.

Good luck to everyone on their hunts! :)

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
I've still got nothing new. As for my hunts. I'm at 2500 REs in Platinum, 6385 REs for my BQ in HG, 24265 REs for my BQ in B2, and 330 MMs in Y.

Congrats to the recent shinies, especially Supremacy on Weepinbell and Spritzee. Also good luck to all ongoing hunts, especially Cpchris on Growlithe, TheMaster327 on the bird trio, and Dangertrout on your Pearl BQ.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Misjie on Eevee, nickM on Cyndaquil, sonjamjams on Torchic, Keovix on Giratina, ohjeezitskim on Ralts, AmazingChi on Phantump, Kelv on Dratini and Growlithe, Super Pichu Chan on Latias, maldoror on Ducklett, varanus_komodoensis on Swinub, Keyblade_Cub on Skitty, Ajduk on both Trapinch, MultiDarkShadow777 on Charmander, ShinyMisty on Klefki, Jessara on Caterpie, taufik386 on Combee, Supremacy on Weepinbell, Storm_Dragoon on Ho-Oh, Ajduk on Trapinch, LullabyVullaby on Tyrunt, Supremacy on Spritzee, MultiDarkShadow777 on Eevee, and everyone else on their shinies!

Thanks, Shadowkrow and Zekromaster826 :)

--------------

Wow, so Hoenn remakes? Neat. I never played a Hoenn game (or Kanto, actually), having started with Diamond. Hoenn’s always seemed like my least favorite region though…Looks like a lot of water routes and a lot of ugly pokemon IMO. Plus if it’s like X/Y…But it’s still Pokemon ;) Maybe I’ll get moving on X and try to beat it before the remakes come out.

I guess like kirkeastment pointed out, it might not be quite the same as the remakes we’ve had before.

I’ll probably get at least one of them, though I don’t know if I’ll do any hunting on it, and most likely not a BQ, especially if it’s still reduced odds. If anything, I’ll eventually get around to a BQ on Y.

--------------

Did you guys see the announcement trailer for the ruby and sapphire remakes?

I don't think bulbapedia or serebii have confirmed it yet but IGN has and it's from the pokemon YouTube channel.

I can't wait till November though hopefully I'll have my shiny torchic long before then.

When I saw the news, it made me wonder if you’d hold off your Torchic hunt until the remakes come out, but I guess you answered my question already :p Hope you find it soon!

---------------

OMG

after almost 4000 soft resets i got a SECOND shiny cyndaquil!
This time on my soul silver!

I'm wondering if i should do a double badge quest hmm...

I wouldn’t tell you not to. Depending on if you plan to do 8 or 16 (or 18) shinies in each BQ, you might want to think if you’re willing to do that amount twice. But there’s definitely enough awesome shinies to do 2, I think :) Funny that I’m saying that, since I wasn’t sure about doing a BQ on my HG at all since I wasn’t sure if there were enough shinies I liked…I guess a lot of shinies have grown on me :x

--------------

Urg, still haven’t hunted >.< As of tomorrow, that will be 2 solid weeks of not hunting or even playing my games at all! And the urge to hunt is definitely strong after such a long break. I think I’ll start hunting again soon, since I figure not hunting at this point isn’t helping me figure any life plans out any better than before. At the very least, I do want to try to level up my Platinum shinies and then re-transfer them up and then try to beat X so I can at least battle my friends with them.

I do have my trip to TX coming up at the end of the month, plus work, and I’ve gotta do some other things during the month, so I may end up just waiting until after my trip to get back into actual hunting :x I hope I get some nice luck whenever I start back up again.

Figured I’d post just to keep this from getting too long :)

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas, LullabyVullaby, Shadowkrow, and TheMaster327)!

LullabyVullaby

Shiny Collector
OMG WHAT!
After 793 REs on route 4! I pulled a 2 in 1 day!

A SHINY MALE COMBEE APPEARED. I was cute charming so it sucks it wasn't female and I was hoping for anything but this from this route. Lol but can I really complain after a shiny in 793 REs no. So I am actually really happy with this however I will be staying here to try and get something else maybe I'll get lucky and get a 1% White Flabebe. As for My Chimchar hunt I have just reached 5333 SRs.

Huge Congrats to Supremacy on finally completing his annoying Spritzee hunt and good luck to everyone especially CPChris and his growlithe hunt.

Last edited:

I Pink Elephant

Shiny Hunter
Hi everyone! Sorry I have not found the time post here recently. Hunting/Uni has kept me from doing so. I am going to make an effort to post here more often though, as this is a wonderful topic with lovely people.

Anyway, congratulations to *takes in deep breath* nickM, mellowrush, Shadowkrow, missastronaut, Kingzard, Dangertrout, maldoror, Psychic, Laurelai, Iwanuq, Keyblade_Cub, Kyle Clarthy, Cyberra, TVDex, StrongBad456, Genfried, Keane, AquaRegisteel, ClipOwl, Psynergy, missastronaut, ElectricBassClef, KantoPkmnMaster, JohnNiles, 1rkhachatryan, Solfatara, pokemaster13, Missingno. Master, Burakoru, Kreis, Blastonite, missastronaut, Laurelai, Nerdboyiam, Miltank+ Dragonite=evil, ShiningKnightXY, MultiDarkShadow777, Frost Mage, Roseheart95, Doryuzu, Sito, KantoMasta, DoctorYuyi, Greedy Chibi, Jessara, missastronaut, AmazingChi, Shine, Sir Marly, Scrufox86, Super Pichu Chan, ShinyMisty, Eclair~, AuraChannelerChris, Ponymon, eiger, NeohopeSTF, Storm_Dragoon, tonyg44x, professorj15, geag-a, maskofsanity1998, Zekromaster826, Crimson Penguin, Meowth City, KingSnorlax, ArdhiS, silver_phoenix, ShachonianX, Shao-May, Tyrantrum, blue8arman, ClipOwl, shinyclauncher1234, TheMaster327, Navarch, ohjeezitskim, Master Leo, Bolt the Cat's Avatar, sonjamjams, Keovix, Zed3, Kelv, varanus_komodoensis, RedJirachi, Ajduk, Drakonekoshi, Zivinolette, taufik386, and LullabyVullaby (Please forgive me if I have missed anyone out!) on all their shiny Pokemon since I last posted! :)

What a beautiful shiny Lilith is! OoO
Congrats on all these shinies.

Thanks! She has kinda become my favorite shiny! :)

So, last time I posted I said was going to hunt for a Kangaskhan, and I did for around 40+ eggs. However my heart was not in that hunt, which is a bit odd because I do like the Pokemon and I do eventually hope to have every Mega Pokemon in shiny form. But I was distracted by a Japanese 5IV Koffing I received via Wonder Trader. I have always liked Koffing/Weezing, so I decided on a whim to pause my Kangaskhan hunt and instead concentrate on getting me a shiny Koffing! And, to my immense luck, Kieren appeared after around 80 eggs!

Not only is it a wonderful shiny (I love the pink smoke) but I was also lucky in that it hatched with 5IVs! (Everything excluding Attack!) The fact that I bread from a foreign female Koffing meant that I could actually breed for a 5IV male to go with it. Normally I just try to get one vital IV, mostly because I have really only bred using foreign FS Dittos in the past. I think I will be making a bit more effort in the future to try and have high IV parents, although in the end IV count will always come second to the actual shiny hunt! Back to Kieren (Named after the main character of my favorite TV show In the Flesh) I have used her in quite a few battles now, and she makes for a fantastic Wall with some great tricks up its sleeve via Pain Split and Will-O-Wisp. Very happy!

After that I decided to go through my Boxs, and check all the IVs of the Pokemon I have gathered via Wonder Trader and the game since I started back in October. I found a few interesting ones which I have put aside for future hunts, but the one that most caught my attention most was a 5IV Japanese Goomy. Given how I have recently come to really appreciate Wall/Tank Pokemon, and the fact I had a 5IV Tyrunt, I decided to make this my next hunt!

So, over the last few weeks I have been hunting for a shiny Goomy and, well, it became my longest MM hunt, but Saturday night, after 1,050+ eggs, Conchita finally hatched!

Here he is, fully evolved!

I was lucky again, in that it has 5IVs! The only IV it is lacking in is Special Attack... which is a bit of a bugger, as I am using it as an Assault Vest Pokemon, but the fact it can take an Ice Beam and still stay in the green whilst fighting back with a strong attack is really cool! Besides, I would still be just as happy if it had just one IV, for me they are just nice extras when it comes to the thrill of the hunt! I named him Conchita as I had just finished watching Eurovision when he hatched! Again, very happy!

At one point, I did take a little brake from my Goomy hunt. For the most part I really enjoy the process of hunting Shiny Pokemon (Which may be down to my Asperger syndrome...) and I know that to many people 1k eggs is nothing (Believe me, whenever I find a shiny I feel very lucky, no matter how long the hunt has taken!) but this hunt did drain me a bit. So during this little brake, I went hunting for a HA Pinsir in a FS for a potential IV trade, and after just two minutes a Paras appeared! Here it as a Parasect!

I am very happy with Fungi (I know, not very original, but it felt right!), partly because it has some not bad stats (Bold with IVs in Attack and Defense) but also because Paras/Parasect has always been one of my favorite Pokemon. I remember having one on my very first even Pokemon team back in Blue 15+ years ago!

Now though, I am plagued by the dilemma that hits me every time I finish a shiny hunt. What do I hunt for next? Part of me wants to go for the community hunt, as Blaziken and Blissey are two Pokemon I would love to have in shiny form and it would be great to finally complete one. I also had the idea that, to celebrate the announcement of the Hoenn remakes, I could hunt for shiny versions of the starters, but I am not sure if my heart would be in it much (Love Torchic, the others... not so much). Another idea I had was perhaps hunting for a shiny Caterpie. I would love a shiny Butterfree, mostly because it was the first non-event shiny I ever saw (It was back in Gold. It got away from me at the time, but it was such a thrill finding it. At the time I didn't even know shiny Pokemon existed outside Gyarados!) so it would be lovely to have one of them.

However... as I said before, I would love to get all the Mega evolutions in shiny form, and one that has particularly interested me is Medicham. Its mega form is just wonderful, and I have noticed that my shiny teams are lacking a hard hitting Attack based sweeper. Not only that, but my recent obsession with I Dream of Jeannie (Yep, the old 60s/70s sitcom) has given me the perfect name for one! :D

Anyway, I am to tired to decided now... any ideas or advice would be welcomed!

Good luck to everyone on their hunts, and have fun! :)

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Woot! Look what I just hatched!

[IMG139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/Picture6303_zps444fb892.jpg[/IMG139]

After 1,114 eggs, pachirisu shines for me! (I still have 365 eggs left to hatch, lol... The shiny was the fourth egg of the fourth hatching run)

Isn't he just so cute ^_^

Up next: audino

Edit: SECOND shiny pachirisu hatched at 1,181 eggs. Sparks' twin brother A.C. (alternating current)

Last edited:

Rio!

Composer
Whoa, 'grats everyone on their recent shinies!

I thought I was going to be done hatching some m shinies, but I've decided to add a couple more of my favorites: Goomy and Zorura.

Zorura's up first; I have 15 eggs stored right now since I've just started tonight. I'll update once I manage to get a box or two full. ;D

ShachonianX

Spheal Lord
Wow, congrats on a all of the amazing shinies! Recently I've started MMing for a shiny Goomy, with so far 2 full boxes of eggs. I also have a Talonflame with Flame Body, so I hope that will help on hatching when I get to that. Good luck on everyone else's hunts!

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Started to resume by Badge Quest on Pokemon X, by HH for a Shiny Gulpin/Minun/Plusle or Scraggy, am hoping for either of the first 3, with Gulpin being my main desire so that i can have a Yawn'er in my party to help capture other Shiny Pokemon.

I'm hoping it won't take too long, because as soon as it appears i can zoom onto my major want from Pokemon X, Shiny Houndour. :D

Congrats to everyone on their new shinies!

I took a break from my Lure Ball Dratini project to try hatching a shiny HA Dratini this weekend (thanks to ShyOctopus for providing me with a HA female). I bred 60 eggs yesterday, hopped on my bike to hatch them this morning, and on egg #18, out popped a shiny! He has a Brave nature, with 31/X/31/X/31/X IVs. He also has his HA, so I'm going to EV train him to be nice and tanky.

I'm still in a state of semi shock, as this is my first shiny hatch ever, after thousands of eggs throughout the generations. In fact, this is the first shiny I've ever encountered, aside from the ones that are coded to be shiny (Lake of Rage Gyarados & that pesky green Espeon in the tower in FireRed).

Solfatara

Forest-Dweller
Congratulations to LullabyVullaby on combee and on the new addition to your badge quest team, tyrunt is one I'll be hunting for at some point as well, maskofsanity1998 on soultear, kelv on pansear (I've got one from the FS too! It looks amazing imo, one of my favourite shiny forms, won't be evolving it anytime ever), Supremacy on finally getting spritzee (was that 2,152 eggs with or w/o the shiny charm??), MultiDarkShadow777 on eevee, I, Pink Elephant on koffing, parasect and goomy, Happy Hermit on dratini and Cyberra on pachirisu, that looks amazing!

This morning with cup of tea in hand Chespin hatched on the 8th egg, 278th egg total.
chespin1.jpg
It's impish with 31/31/31/x/x/x, not too shabby considering I only have a 3 IV ditto, though a good bunch of its siblings had 4 IVs but oh well :)
Nice to have something shine, and it's a good motivation for the other hunts. This is my second MM in gen VI, both came to under 300 eggs (w/ shiny charm). It's a beautiful shiny, but I'm not as excited for it as I am for ekans/dratini in HG (3550 SRs) and solosis in white/black2 (about 100 eggs in). Will be fun to start that Y badge quest though after I catch mewtwo and zygarde on the current save and trade over the competitive mons I bred for that run-through. I think I'll EV train it to make it a bit more efficient, and I'm glad I'm getting the extra exp. boost in Y because I don't much feel like evolving this guy (its my favourite shiny from that evolutionary line though chesnaught does look pretty cool too) and he'll have to hold his own as a chespin throughout.

Good luck to everyone!

Solfatara

Forest-Dweller
Congratulations to LullabyVullaby on combee and on the new addition to your badge quest team, tyrunt is one I'll be hunting for at some point as well, maskofsanity1998 on soultear, kelv on pansear (I've got one from the FS too! It looks amazing imo, one of my favourite shiny forms, won't be evolving it anytime ever), Supremacy on finally getting spritzee (was that 2,152 eggs with or w/o the shiny charm??), MultiDarkShadow777 on eevee, I, Pink Elephant on koffing, parasect and goomy, Happy Hermit on dratini and Cyberra on pachirisu, that looks amazing!

This morning with cup of tea in hand Chespin hatched on the 8th egg, 278th egg total.
View attachment 12537
It's impish with 31/31/31/x/x/x, not too shabby considering I only have a 3 IV ditto, though a good bunch of its siblings had 4 IVs but oh well :)
Nice to have something shine, and it's a good motivation for the other hunts. This is my second MM in gen VI, both came to under 300 eggs (w/ shiny charm). It's a beautiful shiny, but I'm not as excited for it as I am for ekans/dratini in HG (3550 SRs) and solosis in white/black2 (about 100 eggs in). Will be fun to start that Y badge quest though after I catch mewtwo and zygarde on the current save and trade over the competitive mons I bred for that run-through. I think I'll EV train it to make it a bit more efficient, and I'm glad I'm getting the extra exp. boost in Y because I don't much feel like evolving this guy (its my favourite shiny from that evolutionary line though chesnaught does look pretty cool too) and he'll have to hold his own as a chespin throughout.

Good luck to everyone!

EDIT: Oh my god!! I was going to pass pokerus onto chespin, and intended to fly to cyllage to get ready for Def EV-training, but by default flew to Camphrier and thought, oh well, I can just RE a couple of times on route 5 to pass it down, maybe I'll encounter a shiny skiddo (one of the ones from gen V I'm really interested in). After 4 encounters I thought ok it's probably passed down now, but I'll just do one more, just in case, and there pops out a shiny skiddo! It sure is a lucky day for my X file today! Named it Raman after the spectroscopic technique and because skiddo is a ram (given it's still fertile which I'm just going to assume it is)

Last edited:

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
I am really hyped for ORAS, and, seeing as my most favourite Pokemon (Flygon) is from Hoenn, I though why not celebrate it with a competitive Shiny Trapinch?

S, my next planned MM is Trapinch, but first I need to get the Shiny Charm (great...), and I also need a 6 IV foreign Ditto/Trapinch... If someone has a non-English 6 IV Trapinch, I will willingly trade an Ability Capsule for it!!

Anyway, congratz on all the recent shinies and good luck on your current/future hunts!!

Master Leo

The Dark Side
Wow, so many shinies here. Congrats on all the good luck everyone is having and good luck to those still hunting.

I managed to catch a shiny Litleo the other day after only 735 RE's in my attempt to get all Kalos region pokemon shiny. My Cute Charmer failed and it ended up being female, but it's still awesome. I'm now hunting on Route 6 and hoping for Espurr or Honedge. A Sentret wouldn't be bad though.

Still need these shiny pokemon before I can call this challenge a success:
Bunnelby line
Flabebe line
Pancham line
Furfrou
Spritzee line
Goomy line
Carbink
Honedge line
Espurr line
Binacle line

Maybe I can get them all before Alpha Sapphire lol