• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Tangeh

Hi everyone! ^^ I just got my shiny charm an hour ago, and I've already restarted one of my shiny hunts that I previously abandoned. I hatched something like 500 chimchar eggs (stopped counting after 300) and gave up. I wanted to wait until I completed the pokedex for the shiny charm, so hoping for better luck this time! :)

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
I have now done 152 eggs for Trapinch, and I am hoping to have 60 more done by the end of today! I am really enjoying this first MM hunt, although I hope (like everyone) that it does not take ages.

I spent 2 weeks soft resetting for a shiny mewtwo in soulsilver, which I finally got after about 13,000 SRs! I don't know why I did this, since I could've just done it on Y, but I don't know...

I Pink Elephant

Shiny Hunter
Congratulations on all the new shiny Pokemon! :)

Still not sure what to hunt for next on X... possibly a Fennekin, Shieldon or Hippopotas. Although, I am tempted to hunt for a shiny Ditto in the FS. One with Imposter would be fantastic.

I spent 2 weeks soft resetting for a shiny mewtwo in soulsilver, which I finally got after about 13,000 SRs! I don't know why I did this, since I could've just done it on Y, but I don't know...

Nice one! I am planing on hunting for him on LeafGreen (You can get it to shine in LG, right!?) ASAP. Although, and I could be wrong, but I think the Mewtwo from X&Y is shiny locked anyway.

LopunnyBunny

: Please Shine
Hey guys! A couple new things happening with me. I somehow got pulled into a shiny starter hunt/race with a few friends. (They're trying to get a Shiny Chimchar on Platinum so I thought I'd SR for Turtwig/Piplup on my Diamond and Pearl Versions) I'll be dual hunting them together so it will be exciting to see which one shines first. Lastly (I got this idea from BenYS) I also decided to mix up my MM hunt a bit while I'm still hunting for Bulbasaur. I'm thinking of dedicating one box to nothing but Bulbasaurs and use my other two boxes for the following Pokemon: Houndour, Poochyena, Starly, Riolu, Croagunk, Skiddo. (Some of my favorite shinies)

ClipOwl said:
Aaaaaaahhhh sorry! I could have sworn I had everyone Dx
Hey, it's okay. Just an honest mistake. :)

I am planing on hunting for him on LeafGreen (You can get it to shine in LG, right!?) ASAP. Although, and I could be wrong, but I think the Mewtwo from X&Y is shiny locked anyway.

"Shiny Locked" Pokemon never existed till 5th Gen. So you can SR for a shiny Mewtwo in LeafGreen to your heart's content. :) I believe Mewtwo is shiny locked in 6th Gen as well. There has never been any live proof of someone catching one so it's safe to assume that all legends in 6th Gen are shiny locked.

I Pink Elephant

Shiny Hunter
Hey guys! A couple new things happening with me. I somehow got pulled into a shiny starter hunt/race with a few friends. (They're trying to get a Shiny Chimchar on Platinum so I thought I'd SR for Turtwig/Piplup on my Diamond and Pearl Versions) I'll be dual hunting them together so it will be exciting to see which one shines first. Lastly (I got this idea from BenYS) I also decided to mix up my MM hunt a bit while I'm still hunting for Bulbasaur. I'm thinking of dedicating one box to nothing but Bulbasaurs and use my other two boxes for the following Pokemon: Houndour, Poochyena, Starly, Riolu, Croagunk, Skiddo. (Some of my favorite shinies)

Hey, it's okay. Just an honest mistake. :)

"Shiny Locked" Pokemon never existed till 5th Gen. So you can SR for a shiny Mewtwo in LeafGreen to your heart's content. :) I believe Mewtwo is shiny locked in 6th Gen as well. There has never been any live proof of someone catching one so it's safe to assume that all legends in 6th Gen are shiny locked.

I see, fantastic. Thanks! It's nice to be sure before I start the hunt! :D

Good luck to yours and everyone's hunt! :)

eiger

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to everyone with their shinies!

Just now I hatched a shiny Snorunt with Moody in a dive ball. It is Timid and has 4 egg moves. Had a 5IV and a 6IV parent.
Unfortunately its spread is 0!!!/xx/31/31/31/31. Won"t use it anytime soon, but since it is a popular breeding request I have other chances at hatching a better one :D

Good luck to everyone on their hunts!!

TomoEGoto

Mr. Robot-O
I has been gone for a while now...
Sorry! Been busy with graduation and such.
I have come with three recent shinies.
One is an Espurr that I got randomly through FS (I caught one for breeding and the second encounter was a shiny one)
A Trevenant from WT (Scared the crap out of me) http://imgur.com/qiLfouV
And... one I am most surprised at...
I got sick and tired of the fossils in my bag so I decided to revive and WT them, as well as getting the X exclusives and suddenly, I almost hit yes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFkRRRUWp78&list=UUpkXpSiU1Ti8FGiH2_r21eQ

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
I just now have time to post my efforts over the past 24 or so hours.
Earlier today, while in a water FS, I came across a shiny Krabby. I caught it, and checked its IVs.
It has 31 IVs in special attack and special defense.

Also glad I got the May CH done yesterday. It feels like a nice way to get into this community.

EDIT:

A minute ago, while searching for a shiny Pancham, I found a shiny Machoke.
It has 31 IVs in attack and special defense.
Interesting.

EDIT:

Yet again, I encounter two shinies in less than ten minutes.
This time, it was the one I was hunting. I am attempting to catch it as I type this.

A shiny Pumpkaboo.
And I just caught it.

It has 31 IVs in attack and special attack.

Woo. One more hunt done I suppose.

Last edited:

BenYS

Shiny Hunting!
I like the number of people who are going for the Masuda mix-up idea, it could totally be a thing! =P It allows for lots of different hunts, but gives the surprise factor which is a bit more interesting and motivating.

Thanks to ohjeezitskim, I have been able to start breeding Dream Ball Eevees! The pink of the Ball goes excellently with Vaporeon's colour scheme, so I'm trying for a non-HA one (thank goodness!). I don't often do breeds with such long egg cycles, but at least it's not the maximum...and as a shiny hunter, it almost seems like I must get a shiny Eevee at some point.

Now that I have time to myself for a few days, I have loads of hunts that I want to try, as I'm really motivated by my recent successes...Mandibuzz might be the next one, as its 'overcooked' looking shiny is hilarious!

Good luck to all shiny hunting, it makes for great reading!

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
With May finishing in less than a week, have there been any thoughts on next month's CH?

LopunnyBunny

With May finishing in less than a week, have there been any thoughts on next month's CH?

I'm not sure if this theme has been used before. There is a Nursery Aide named June in Black/White 2. (She shows up only during the Summer at Nimbasa's Ferris Wheel) Nursery Aides take care of children correct? So I was thinking of a community hunt for baby Pokemon:

Pichu, Cleffa, Iggybuff, Togepi, Tyrogue, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, Azurill, Wynaut, Budew, Chingling, Bonsly, Mime Jr., Happiny, Munchlax, Riolu, Mantyke

Again, not sure if this theme has been used before...

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
I'm not sure if this theme has been used before. There is a Nursery Aide named June in Black/White 2. (She shows up only during the Summer at Nimbasa's Ferris Wheel) Nursery Aides take care of children correct? So I was thinking of a community hunt for baby Pokemon:

Pichu, Cleffa, Iggybuff, Togepi, Tyrogue, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, Azurill, Wynaut, Budew, Chingling, Bonsly, Mime Jr., Happiny, Munchlax, Riolu, Mantyke

Again, not sure if this theme has been used before...

Yeah we had this before, but that was in like...Jan 2013?

I think a grab bag hunt could be thrown in, as we could do with one of those for once. Hasn't happened for a while and they're easy to organise, which should benefit Dangertrout a little more.

On the other hand, we could go for the middle evolution of a Pokémon who has three members in the evo line. For example, all the starter's middle evos would count. This could work because it is the middle of the year in June...so it could work?

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Knowing that June is a month full of exams and known to end school years, perhaps the next community hunt could be based on knowledge/intelligence ? Here are my propositions:

- Psychic types are shown as intelligent Pokémon with high IQs, so any shiny obtained that is Psychic type could count ?
- Any shiny Pokémon that learns any (or maybe just a few picked up ?) Smart move through level-up/breeding gets to qualify in the community hunt.
- Close to the first suggestion/the grab bag; a few Pokémon known for their intelligence/knowledge/high IQ ? Uxie (the Knowledge Pokémon), Abra's evolutionary line and such ?

Tangeh

Found my shiny chimchar on egg #172! I actually didn't watch him hatch so when I went to the PC I jumped when I saw him ha. 4IV - spread of 31/31/9/31/20/31 w/ hasty nature and blaze ability... I was hoping for iron fist to take full advantage of a mixed attacker with thunder punch, so I'll have to poke around a bit and find a new set for him. ^^ Gonna keep hatching for my HA shiny chimchar!

LopunnyBunny

June Bug fever! (Hunt anything that is bug or part bug)

I was thinking about this too actually! I'm not sure about others, but there are bugs everywhere where I live. :/ Maybe a Honey Tree or Headbutting tree hunt?

Kingzard

Shiny Hunter
Hey guys I have a question. The only Shiny locked Pokemon in B2W2 is Reshi/Zek, right? I restarted both my versions, and planning on hunting on those when I get bored of HGSS. Currently SRing for Snivy. But I plan on going after some legends so I just wanted to make sure. :)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Well since my Shiny Elekid hunt is done, I now have time to work on a Shiny hunt in Black 2 instead; I'll be hatching Minccino eggs to see if I can hatch a Shiny one. I've already hatched around 30 this morning. I'm also going to chain for Shinies in Diamond version, but Shiny Minccino is my priority at the moment.