• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

elorasheppard

I've encountered yet another shiny Geodude in Victory Road. Well, it was in horde so it was defeated by Magnitude... But never mind, I already have shiny Geodude.

Is horde raising odds of encountering shiny Pokémon? So is it higher than Friend Safari?

Well, I was spent most of time in Victory Road for speed EV training and EXP points...

Anyway, good luck to else who still hunting and, congrats for getting shinies!

The chances for getting a shiny in a horde is the same per pokemon as a single encounter on the same route. But as you are encountering 5 pokemon in one battle the odds are 5 times better which is why they are so common. With the shiny charm it works out like 1/250 per battle :)

TomoEGoto

Mr. Robot-O
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!
I got my first ever shiny legend!
Late in the night, I didn't feel like doing my Sableye hunt on Y (100 Eggs and going) so I took out my BW2, loaded them up, and decided to start a random hunt for Regirock, something to pass the time. I didn't expect anything to shine that time, I assumed it'll be all for nought and I would be left with nothing. Well, apparently Arceus didn't want me to go empty handed. So after a couple of SRs, I wasn't paying attention, I had my volume down, and I just looked down after spamming A to get to the battle. Caught a glimpse of a sparkle and NOW....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fY...ment_id=z13wsbthksqbxrlz404cdnwrawj4g534dp40k

Now I am currently hunting Regice. Due to how my DS Lites screens are lit, I won't know if it's shiny until I see the difference outright or hear the sparkles. 32 and counting. Might as well hunt them now because I think Gamefreak is planning to lock the Regis and other legends in ORAS. Anyway, good luck all and congrats on your hunts!

General_Ridley

Palace Maven Spenser
Tomo, good thinking. I've got shiny charm in Black 2 and am occasionally pulling the game out to start on Cresselia before I move on to the Regis and Heatran.

TheMaster327

I MIGHT be getting Soul Silver if my eBay offer is accepted, which means potential hunts for Lugia, Ho-oh, Groudon and Mewtwo :)

I plan on BQing this game, and I've plotted out a route that avoids duplicate shinies.

1. Starter; 2. Lv6 Repel trick Rattata/Bellsprout/Mareep/Hoppip Route 32; 3. Lv15 Repel trick Vulpix Route 36; 4. Headbutt at Ecruteak; 5. Route 44 (Lv26 Repel Trick for Lickitung if Bellsprout shines at Route 32); 6. Lv24 Repel trick for Krabby/Seel Whirl Islands; 7. Krabby/Shuckle Rock Smash in Cianwood (provided no Krabby in Whirl Islands); 8. Lugia.

No, I will not be SRing Articuno/Moltres in SS.

Pluski

Unova's Route 12 didn't give me the female Combee or Roselia that I wanted, instead I got a female Pinsir. I think I'll return to Route 12 when I've found some more shinies from different routes.

[IMG300]http://i.imgur.com/Bf9i7Z7.jpg[/IMG300]

Unova's Route 13 is next, and hopefully I'll get Solrock, Lunatone or Absol. The other shinies that can be found there are also very welcome though.

OH MY GOD!!!! She hatched!!! Shiny helioptile- female, no ha, 5 iv missing sp def
and my first ever birthday shiny pokemon!!!
Also, thanks to everyone who wished me a happy birthday :)

EDIT: Horde encounter Zubat- it was the middle one, AND even if the only pokemon I ever have with me is Talonflame(well combee was sweet scenting) it didn't get burned at all... I should switch Talonflame out next time I want to get a shiny by non hatching means...Anyways, I caught it in a luxury ball

Last edited:

maldoror

I just found a shiny female Lapras in FS. I threw a dive ball (which failed) because i liked the color combo. To my shock, she used Perish Song as her first move! I nearly died. Thankfully, my first repeat ball did the trick. She has a hardy nature with perfect Attack and Sp Attack and "dismal" HP.

Nakashima

Thanks for the congrats, everyone! ^^ Everyones support means a lot to me =]

Good luck to everyones hunts, especially to DarkOverlord777, Shy, Roseheart95, and Gligari on their long/over the odds hunts!

Congrats to General_Ridley on Scyther, Genfried on Spewpa, Birds of Paradise on Charmander, wobbanut on Patrat, Spawty on Nosepass, CuteSylveon on Sentret, Misjie on Espurr Nosepass and Mareep, TomoEGoto on Regirock, Pluski on Pinsir, and maskofsanity1998 on Helioptile!

--

I've really not dont a whole lot since getting my dear Tepig. Decided on Floccesy Ranch for my 2nd badgequest hunt, but just REing in one game doesnt quite hold my attention, so I'm thinking of doing a different hunt on the side. Just not sure what to go for just yet..

Still MMing for Eevee as well ofc, as I do want 8 of the little buggers.. But I'm not making a lot of progress there, since X has a way of distracting me with other nonsense, such as WonderTrade or Battle Chateau.. Both kind of addictive! So for now, I'm at 840 eggs hatched for my Eevees, with 1 shiny to come from it. So that hunt is actually going really well in my book! Hoping to get more progress on that sometime soon.

I recently purchased a used HeartGold from a store, and found out it was a fake. Luckily, the store is very kind and has offered to replace it for a real one (which I get to go inspect myself) which still has the box, without extra charge! So pretty stoked about that! Now I just wish I could get my hands on another SoulSilver version, as I just have one of those and 3 heartgolds. Will keep on the lookout for some, thats for sure!

Solfatara

Forest-Dweller
The chances for getting a shiny in a horde is the same per pokemon as a single encounter on the same route. But as you are encountering 5 pokemon in one battle the odds are 5 times better which is why they are so common. With the shiny charm it works out like 1/250 per battle :)

Sorry for nitpicking, but if anyone's interested the chance is not quite five times that of a regular horde, just like encountering pokemon 4096 times without the shiny charm does not multiply your chances by 4096 (meaning 100 % chance of encountering).
But the equation would still be almost linear at such low numbers so it is almost effectively five times - the chance is 1/272 using serebii's number on encounter rates with the shiny charm.

Without the shiny charm the odds are 1/818

(if my maths are right!) :)

Oblivion_Bliss

you can get the shiny charm in X and Y????? :O

Congrats to everybody on recent shinies, happy birthday to Maskofinsanity (and Nice B'day luck), and best of luck to Shy if you're still hunting your chick.

I'm now at 2350 SRs on Treecko (as I've now decided to go for the trio) as well as hitting 3k headbutts on the community hunt.

Today I got a new fire red from ebay, the file was still there from the previous guy which I checked to see if anything useful item-wise. It looks like he bottomed the file before selling, as there was 5k, no balls or items and boxes full of mediocre pokes. I think he must have missed this little guy he left me though;

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o709/stickit2themon/IMG_0952_zps2ae446e4.jpg

So by this time tomorrow (had to sync the clock to my DS before migrating) I'll have a lovely shiny Butterfree moved up to Y :D

Edit;

All moved up and evolved, but thinking I might trade the lil guy away (since no work, kind of like a shiny Gyrados) for something useful.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o709/stickit2themon/IMG_0954_zpse2110eb9.jpg

Last edited:

rovert

Exploding Biscuits!!
The other day, I decided I was going to try again to complete a BQ on HG (and this time no repel trick), and I finally managed to get something earlier today while watching youtube videos. I'm not thrilled at what it is as I now have FOUR of them, but I'm not that worried and I'm just going with it...

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/18/03/37/30/img_0611.jpg

He has an impish nature so he's not as bad as the two others I have from SRing.

Gwabatim

Okay guys so today while watching the Germany vs Portugal World Cup match I got a shiny Beldum in my Sapphire in less than 2,000 soft resets! I don't really care about the nature because it's one of my favourite shinies! image.jpg

I will now be moving onto another secret shiny target. I'll give you a hint of what it could be: it should be a one of a kind shiny.

Last edited:
Well, the four boxes from yesterday failed to produce a shiny. Wondertrading some of my leftovers away and then I'm back to egg collecting! I'm at 455 eggs right now, hoping something dives soon! Lol good luck to everyone else's hunts! And congratulations to any successful shinies!!

Last edited:

KantoMasta

call me KM!
Congrats to everyone thats found a shiny since my last post!

So I think i may have to steal cutesylveons idea for a post game BQ, with a slight rulechange, gonna mm for charmander haha.

Anyways, ive been switching back and forth between a friend safari and MM. Have 2 boxes of charmander eggs saved up, and a solid hour of Fs hunting.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Since I finally finished my Shiny Mincinno hunt a few days ago, I've had extra free time to work on more random Shiny encounters on Y version; I ran into at least 200 Pokemon today, but no Shiny appeared sadly. Also, does anyone know if Dream Radar Pokemon can be Shiny?

Rotifer

Hello again! It's been a really long time since I've posted since school got a little crazy towards the end. Way too many of you have gotten shinies since then so I'm sorry that I can't name you all, but congratulations anyway! Especially to TheMaster327 on your shiny bird :)

Lately I've been hatching eggs pretty casually for a shiny gale wings fletchling, since I'd like something sparkly for my competitive team. Nothing's happened yet, but that's to be expected since I'm not that far into this hunt.

I also decided to start soft resetting for a shiny latias! I've never SR'd a legendary before so I don't quite know what to expect, but latias has always been one of my favorites so I'm just going to go for it. I'm only a paltry 400 SRs into it, but who knows? I'll be on a six hour flight later this week so maybe something will happen.

In other shiny news my friend has been on the hunt for a shiny litleo for months... She started up a second round for it and is at 500 eggs or so, I think? This is in addition to a 1,500ish egg run she did a little while back, AND she has the shiny charm. If anyone deserves some luck sent their way, it's her :(

Also, does anyone know if Dream Radar Pokemon can be Shiny?

I'm pretty sure they can't be, sorry! I know people RNG them for stats, but that's all I've heard about.

ShinyMisty

This person is dead.
...*deep breath*
Well...I have been in a painful mood as of late.

I just...I haven't been in a Pokemon mood. But...I would love to hunt for some cool shinies. Like TomoEGoto and their early Regirock. (congrats)
...But...dang it, my motivation has been shot for days.
...So...I might try hunting something...That Purrloin has been stabbing me long enough!

THE NEXT TIME I COME ON, THAT PURRLOIN WILL BE MINE! (speaks in epic voice of loud and epic) RAAAAAAAAAAA Oww...I just hurt my throat...AAAAAaaaaAAR!

Well, what I am trying to say is...this Purrloin has been pushing my buttons long enough. And, what seems like a little to some, is a lot to me. about 900 eggs and nothing still, and it is a little frustrating when it is from X and Y, where the chances of getting one is much easier.

And...I have a question.
You know how the battery is dry in R/S/E and such...so Soft Resetting is hard.
How about Random Encounters? How is that affected?