• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Psychic

Really and truly
I've always waned a Shiny Ponyta - it's easily one of my favourite shiny forms. So today I finally went on Reddit and found someone with the right Friend Safari. I am now cruising their Safari in the hopes of finding some blue fire. Wish me luck!

~Psychic

SleepFreak

Mediocre Trainer
After a few hours of fishing around and messing up 3, 4 times. 20, 30, 124 and 30 something. After just around 30 minutes of Chain Fishing, I got my first ever shiny! Chain Fishing is like the easiest thing ever so I'm not crazy about it, but I'm still doing my happy dance days after I caught it. Next, I'm going to try master chaining in the grass with the radar or master breeding and get me my gem that will be Eevee. Taking a short break though (and off topic) going on a legendary spree right now, after a 1 hour battle I beat Red on SoulSilver, got all the legendarys you can get and transferred them up to X, tonight I'll be blasting through my moms copy of HeartGold for the legendary Pokèmon I couldn't get with my "Silver Soul". They were so subtle with their hint about it.

Anyway, I just knew with my luck my first shiny would be ugly, so here she is!

Sockeye, named after the salmon fish, I always went fishing with my dad on summers when I was young, wanted to name her "Humpy" after Humpback fish (Its a fish we hate to catch, so it made sense) but "Humpy" is a word that can't be entered. So I went with the main fish Sockeye, its also Adamant, so she'll sock you on the eye. I don't know. I'm happy anyway.

jrmftw

Green Dragon Trainer
Congratulations to
Cyberra on Combee, Misjie on Rattata, TayRanitar on Floette and Kirlia, Pokefreak2014 on Bellsprout, Mav-san on Beldum, Lorde on Drifloon, Ampharos_Spark on Mareep, Umbreonfan3636 on Totodile, Kirkeastment on Staryu, ShiningKnightXY on Noibat,Crimson Penguin on Chikorita, Shine on Swadloon and Heatmor x2, Bobandbill on Sandile and Hippopotas, Scrufox86 on Loudred x2 and Ditto, Valoo on Chespin, Neji-and-Pidgeot on Bulbasaur, Blasting Toise on Masquerain, TheEmeraldKnight on Scraggy, Pokemaster13 on Oddish, Cpchris on Boldore, Shinycharizard06 on Pawniard, Terra Force on Mewtwo, Violent Red on Froakie and everyone else who has recently obtained a shiny.

As for me, I finally hatched another 14 boxes of Gible! I was suprised how quickly you can fill up the pc with eggs when you are preoccupied watching movies. This now brings me up to 835 Gibles hatched, no shiny yet.
I am now in the process of collecting another 10 or so boxes of eggs.

I also managed to do another 220 re's in sprout tower. Anyone know where I can get a pokemon with illuminate? Is it against the consensus of a BQ to use non-shinies in your party?

Also, Good luck to anyone who needs it :)

Psychic

Really and truly
I just caught my Shiny Ponyta! He's careful and has Flash Fire, but his attack and special defense IVs are terrible.

I'm so excited and happy to have him, though! I've honestly wanted one for years, and it's so satisfying to have succeeded! He looks gorgeous with those blue flames - now I need to think up a suitable nickname! And then hunt for another so I could evolve one.

~Psychic

Sparky Mc-S

Let the sparks fly~
I believe if you’re trying to get both of them on the same file, once you’ve got the first one, the only way to get the other shiny is to defeat it, beat the E4, and check if it’s shiny. And you keep defeating it and beating the E4 until it’s shiny. I could be wrong, but I think it’s already released after beating the E4, so there’s no SR method for the second one.

Cool, thanks for that. I'll try it all out when I have time.

I was going through my FS in X to see if any had Metang, I wanted one for my boyfriend since he loves shiny Metagross but alas, I had none. So I decided to explore a newly added safari to see what it had and in only 3 encounters, this pops up:
Shiny Tranquil.jpg
I was pretty surprised, I just laughed.

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
Congratulations to bobandbill on Sandile (didn't you used to frequent this thread more often, or am I imagining things?), Scrufox86 on Loudredx2 and Ditto, Valoo. on Chesnaught, Neji-and-Pidgeot on Bulbasaur, Blasting Toise on Masquerain, TheEmeraldKnight on Scraggy, pokemaster13 on Oddish, Cpchris on Boldore (nice number :)), Shinycharizard06 on Pawniard (you can't release eggs, so you'd have to hatch all of them anyway), Terra Force on Mewtwo, Shine on Heatmor, Violent Red on Froakie, SleepFreak on Relicanth (and first ever shiny :)), Psychic on Ponyta and Sparky Mc-S on Tranquil!

Thanks to Cpchris for the luck!

I also managed to do another 220 re's in sprout tower. Anyone know where I can get a pokemon with illuminate? Is it against the consensus of a BQ to use non-shinies in your party?

Not at all! Otherwise people would get stuck if they didn't have Surf, or whatever. Besides, it's a self-imposed challenge. So you can do what you like :) Personally I am only using shinies as my main fighting team, but other Pokemon as utility. I don't think there is a Pokemon with Illuminate available for you at the moment though, unfortunately.

Anyway, did some more hunting (what's new? xD). I'm at 31,634 REs on Route 32 now.

Good luck to everyone hunting!

PokemonMegaBeast

Im Still Here!
well 1.467 RE's for the steel frieind safari still going im going to enter another sfari do like 100 encounters in there and see what happens.

Congrats to everyone on their recent shinies :)

Especially TerraFroce on that Mewtwo.

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
No new shinies for me. My hunts are at 8925 REs in Platinum, 2670 REs in X, and 2055 REs for my BQ in B2.

I've also decided to focus on my BQ in HG this week, and try for a shiny in that game.

Congrats to the recent shinies, especially Misjie on Rattata, TayRanitar on completing the CH, and Terra Force on Mewtwo. Also good luck to all onoging hunts, especially Terra Force on your SR, Cpchris on Scyther, ChaoticInverse on Torchic, Lunafloon on Sandile, Keane on Cranidos, Roseheart95 on your BQ, RaichuArcanine on Chimchar, Storm_Dragoon on Mandibuzz. Welcome to the thread FlyingFlygon13 and good luck on Regirock. Welcome back jrmwtf.

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
Congratulations to everyone who got a shiny recently. I decided to go off the beaten path and am now MM'ing for a shiny Impish Kelfki to use in competitive. I am about 150 eggs in since last night when I started.

For this month's CH being how so many Pokémon can learn captivate by TM from Diamond/Pearl, are we not allowed to count them?

yoshi007

Ice Type Trainer
Right, long congrats list here...

Congrats to StrongBad456 on Metang, AmazingChi on Foongus, AquaRegisteel on Budew (even though it's a duplicate, also hope you find your Platinum!), Tagi on Whismur #4 and Zubat, King Wulfharth on Excadrill, Cyberra on Tropius, Drifloon, Pawniard, Cacnea, and Combee wobbanut on Petilil, Sparky Mc-S on Magikarp and Tranquill, Luvdisc, Horsea, Gulpin, Zubat, and Sandshrew (wow!), Drakonekoshi on Zubat and Swinub, devilmonkey on Bergmite, Helioptile, and Fletchling, Blasting Toise on 8 Shinx(!!) and Masquerain, Cyclone on Scyther/Scizor and Jigglypuff, TheMaster327 on Hoothoot/NoctowlZekromaster826 on Magmar/Magmortar, Shadowkrow on Bunnelby, Shy on Espurr and Charmander/Charmeleon, Cutty on Mudkip, ohjeezitskim on Eevee and Omanyte, SurrealistSmeargle on Eevee, (Adamant!) Golett, and Snubbull, Dangertrout on Kricketune, shinycharizard06 on Hawlucha and (perfect!) Pawniard, Missingno. Master on Geodude, Foongus, and Gligar, Storm_Dragoon on Eevee, TayRanitar on Ralts, Floette, and Kirlia/Gardevoir PokeLover99 on Gabite, maldoror on Ducklett, Spheal, and Sawk, Earth Wolf-Howl on Deerling, Solfatara on Ekans, jrmftw on Scraggy, Misjie on Rattata, kirkeastment on 5 Claunchers and Staryu, pokefreak2014 on Bellsprout, Mav-san on Beldum, Lorde on Drifloon, Ampharos_Spark on Mareep, umbreonfan3636 on Totodile, ShiningKnightXY on Noibat, Crimson Penguin on Chikorita, Shine on Swadloon and Heatmor x2, bobandbill on Sandile and Hippopotas, Scrufox86 on Loudred x2 and Ditto, Valoo on Chespin/Chesnaught, Neji-and-Pidgeot on Bulbasaur, TheEmeraldKnight on Scraggy, pokemaster13 on Oddish/Bellossom, Cpchris on Boldore, Terra Force on Mewtwo (major congrats!), Violent Red on Froakie, SleepFreak on Relicanth, Psychic on Ponyta, and anyone else I may have missed on their shinies! :)

Well, I have news! So recently I've been struggling to get motivation for my two SR hunts, so I hadn't made much progress there. Thought I'd go into the Friend Safari on X to see what I could find. I chose an Electric safari with Dedenne, Manectric, and Electabuzz, and took a Modest sync Ralts with me - so, naturally, I found a shiny Electabuzz with perfect Attack and Speed IVs, and Modest sync worked. >.< Still a cool shiny though.

I then proceeded some more with my SR hunts, and managed to get Tepig up to 600 SRs on Black. SR-ing for the Beasts on SoulSilver still takes forever, so I was slowly getting it up to 250 SRs today, when something totally unexpected happened.

At only 243 SRs, or 486 encounters in total, SHINY RAIKOU appeared!

[img139]http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv350/yoshi007/2014-08-03163521.jpg[/img139]

Pretty sure I was hyperventilating for at least 10 minutes after seeing it. Completely unexpected, honestly I was expecting that hunt to go on for months but I am so so happy. Raikou was the one I wanted most out of the two too (they both look cool but Raikou's shiny is just <3). Shiny Raikou will now be roaming Johto with normal Entei until I get my Pokémon to a high enough level to suitably weaken them. Cannot believe my luck, but ahh, so happy.

Good luck to everyone on your shiny hunts, especially Roseheart95 on Route 32, RaichuArcanine on Chimchar, and pokemaster13 on Raikou and Entei!

EDIT:

EDIT:

Congrats on the Raikou, but why is your Croconaw named Totodile?

Thanks! And because when I started the game I didn't want its name to be all in capitals so I nicknamed it, only then I remembered that it'd end up keeping that name when it evolved also, haha. :p I kinda like it though.

Thanks Tattooed Truth for the congrats! And congrats on the Zubat! :) And I'll be sure to catch it as soon as my Pokémon reach high enough levels to weaken it enough. Not too worried though, good thing about roamers is they stay shiny so if I ever accidentally KO it I can just reset and it'll be back! :) Not like the stationary legends, Lugia is going to be terrifying as that'll be my first shiny legendary that I'll have to weaken then catch... yikes.

Anyway, not related to shiny hunting per se, but I just ordered a Coral Pink DS Lite off eBay. Seems to be in pretty good condition and honestly I'm not too fussed about the colour so any would've done, but yeah. Comes with the charger and means I'll be able to play Emerald again (no shiny hunting there though unfortunately as the internal battery's dead), and I'll also finally be able to trade between games in Gen IV and V without having to visit a friend's house (and considering I live on the other side of the country to any irl friends I have at the moment, that can take months between visits). I'll even be able to hunt on more than one game at once now, which should be exciting. Also means I'll finally be able to get a Latias once I replay Emerald and then I can transfer it all the way to X. Little did I know how much I'd regret picking Latios in my original playthrough only to end up getting SoulSilver and Black 2 which both also have Latios and not Latias... though I suppose I'm getting AlphaSapphire later this year so that should have Latias anyway... oh well, I'm rambling. But yeah, should arrive Thursday or Friday so I'm looking forward to that. :)

Last edited:

umbreonfan3636

Nothing new here. I'm getting to about 1200 REs in Union Cave (hunt # 2).

EDIT:

Congrats on the Raikou, but why is your Croconaw named Totodile?

Last edited:

Tattooed Tooth

So many flags!
Thanks Misjie.
Congrats everyone for their recent shiny, specially Cutty for Mudkip, TayRanitar for Ralts/Kirlia, Solfatara for Ekans, Misjie for Rattata, kirkeastment for the correct shiny on Staryu, Neji-and-Pidgeot for Bulbasaur and yoshi007 for Raikou (now catch it safely!)

Sorry about those chain-breaks, SleepFreak.

Surely the chances of simultaneously hatching a female,

shiny Froakie with its HA with the first egg is something along the lines of winning the lottery?

I should have bought a ticket!
I hate to burst your bubble, but it's one million times easier to get your Froakie than winning the lottery.

Hatching a shiny pokémon via MM without Shiny Charm on gen VI is 1 in 683. Multiplying by the other probabilities (1 in 8 for female starter, 1 in 5 for getting the HA from a male parent) and your odds were 1 in 27,320.
At least over here, lottery is 1 in 36,045,979,200 (that is, 1 in 60*59*58*57*56*55 because we choose 6 numbers among 60).

I mentioned I would do some regular IV breeding before MM, and Zubat was one of those.
But I could use that Japanese Talonflame for it, we never know when we get a random shiny. No sooner said than done, less than 20 eggs and I get a shiny Zubat without hunting.
[IMG139]http://i.imgur.com/TdpTrKv.jpg[/IMG139]
(sorry for the crappy quality again)

3 IVs, but I didn't get any 5 IVs from that breeding, so I'll use him in my team. The 3 IVs are the most important ones (HP, Sp.Def and Spd, since it's meant to be a defensive Golbat with careful nature), so everything is fine.

Good luck for those hunting, specially for those I had mentioned before and now including Sparky Mc-S on the BQ, Shy on the IVs MM, FlyingFlygon on Regirock.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
So last night and part of the early morning, I continued to do many more random encounters along Route 15 on X version looking for any Shiny in general. I also continued hatching eggs for my Shiny Oddish Masuda Method hunt and I hatched 43 eggs and stored a dozen more for later. Good luck to everyone else on their Shiny hunts.

Carcara

I'm not having a lot of time to hunt (or post),but I've finally hatched a shiny Beldum. I think I'll fish for a Chinchou/Lanturn now, I've always found it adorable...
Congratulations to those who found a shiny, and good luck for everyone!

Violent Red

I hate to burst your bubble, but it's one million times easier to get your Froakie than winning the lottery.

Hatching a shiny pokémon via MM without Shiny Charm on gen VI is 1 in 683. Multiplying by the other probabilities (1 in 8 for female starter, 1 in 5 for getting the HA from a male parent) and your odds were 1 in 27,320.
At least over here, lottery is 1 in 36,045,979,200 (that is, 1 in 60*59*58*57*56*55 because we choose 6 numbers among 60).

I'm not entirely sure why you felt the need to spend so much of your time proving wrong what was quite obviously an analogy I used to depict how very lucky I felt after hatching a 1 in 27,320 egg according to your flawed math with my very first attempt.

It always makes me laugh when somebody tries to quantify the concept of luck via numbers etc. Every egg I hatched had a "1 in 27,320" chance of being a shiny, but it is an example of awesomely good luck to have found it with my first egg than on my 24,654th egg.

In any case, a simple "congrats" would have sufficed :)

For example - Congrats on your shiny Zubat! I am happy you found one so quickly!

Spawty

Claimed Golduck!
I went back to Pokemon Diamond recently and I managed to remember how to chain. After breaking not 1... or 2... but 8 chains above 20, I managed to get a Castform chain to 40. The shiny patch appeared quite quickly, and Castform shone. Castform is the first Trophy Garden shiny I've chained (Eevee was close, but a dang Staravia broke the chain at 34!).

The shiny Castform is a female and has a Timid nature. She took 19 Luxury balls to catch, but it was worth it. Seeing the different weather patterns shiny is interesting.

While finding the three pokemon in a normal Friend Safari, a shiny Dunsparce appeared. Dunsparce makes a neat addition to my shinydex :).

ashcrimson777

Newb Shiny Hunter
So I was getting an order ready for someone, breeding pidgeys for ball and moves, and finished. Since I always have eggs left over, I decided to hatch them all and out popped a shiny pidgey!!! Since he was made in the early stages of the process, he got decent IV' all around ;-; but good egg moves :D!!!
Congrats to all of you guys hatching/catching shinies as well and good luck to those in your hunts!!!

Blastonite

Dream Crusher
Hoping to make full odds tomorrow on my Sudowoodo hunt! Kinda excited to reach the odds. Unless a shiny magically appears haha! Also still side hunting for the Shiny King and Queen. I'm still collecting about 10 boxes of eggs. Maybe I'll get something :D

On a small side not has any gotten their hands on the shiny event jirachi yet?! Ima search for one eventually. Maybe GTS it or something. Or trade with someone from the trade forums IDK YET! BUT I NEEDS IT! Lol.

Congrats to all who have seen the shine and to those still hunting I hope you see the shine soon :D

Drakonekoshi

Well that was a quick hunt

after 3 days of hunting, I've acquired a shiny Yamask! HNI_0069.JPG

I purposely bred Nightmare ( and Toxic Spikes ) onto her because this was in hype for the next episode of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure! ( Death 13 Part 1 ), which is why she has the name Desu13~

Congrats on the shinies everyone, and good luck to anyone still hunting! especially Roseheart95, man those are a lot of random encounters, hope something shows up soon.