• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Carcara

Looks like there's going to a shiny Beldum event. I spent all of July hacthing 1871 eggs, and now everyone will also have it. Well, I guess that how it goes. Back on topic, i didn't find that scyther. Yet. Good luck for everyone!

umbreonfan3636

54 hours in Union Cave so far. Still going strong. Congrats on all of the shinies, especially that Azelf (pretty awesome). All of the FS shinies make me want to hunt in there just to see some progress, but I really want to get my BQ #2 finished and beat Bugsy. Good luck to everyone, especially AquaRegisteel, it seems like almost everyone has had good luck with the Johto starters.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Earlier this morning I did approximately 120 more random encounters at Route 15 on my main Y version. Aside from that, I also worked hard on hatching Oddish eggs for my MM hunt and I hatched like 30 last night and 10 more this morning. Anyway, I suppose that the Poke Ball Pattern Vivillon can't be Shiny either like most other event Pokemon?

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
I don't think I need to congratulate anyone since my last post. However I do have a minor update on my Chimchar hunt yesterday I hunted for about 10 hours + for it and manage to do a whopping 600 SRs bringing my total up 5200 SRs. Still no shine as of yet but I don't mind I'm willing to work for my shiny. I want to give a huge good luck to RaichuArcanine, CpChris, Dangertrout, and Keane.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about what I want to hunt next. I think I will just go to the area with 50% Starly and 50% Bidoof for either of them because they're both good shinies. All these badge quest going on are very inspiring to me even though I am a month into my Badge Quest with no shiny. xD I hope you guys are having more fun than I am!

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Eng SS BQ Update:

I have just encountered a Shiny Rattata on Route 30. It's the Shiny i least wanted from the route, but at the same time, it is the most useful Shiny for aiding in the capture of other Shinies.

Time to attempt the capture.

EDIT:

Success!!!!

Shiny Rattata - Female - Hardy

[img139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/3A7C61CE-B3F2-453E-A0D7-E469F384E3F2_zpsstld8zdb.jpg[/img139]

[img139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/83368A1E-FEB0-4701-8E9A-5334F9CD567D_zpsocpzrk2q.jpg[/img139]

[img139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/BA3DF169-9BB1-4C38-BFCD-3C2D4EFF87B8_zpsn8jsvlpf.jpg[/img139]

Time to EV train these two Shinies.... Atk+Speed EV training for both of them.

As for choosing my next target, well technically i have enough Shiny Pokemon to go straight onto Goldenrod, however i will be choosing to take my business to Route 32 instead, for yet another Night Time only hunt, in the hope of obtaining either a Shiny Wooper or Shiny Ekans.

Good luck everyone with your hunts, and i can only hope people are having as much success as i am atm with my hunts. :)

Last edited:

professorj15

Congrats on all the shinies everyone!!! I've been massively procrastinating on this Lugia hunt, so I've been distracting myself with other things. I got a shiny Mareep in a horde the other day, a shiny that I have always wanted. And today I hatched a shiny Froakie at egg #490!!! :) Although she hatched with Torrent, I was really excited that she hatched as a female with 4ivs in HP, Sp. A, Sp. D, and Speed. Here's a pic of the hatch screen: kermie.jpg

I'm going to hatch the rest of these eggs, then continue to distract myself with another MM hunt. I may go for Aron, Deino, Bagon, or Treeko. Anything to distract me from Lugia, at least until I have the itch to SR again. Best of luck everyone!

Blackkyurem

OK, screw the Beldium MM hunt, I got a FS with Metang and Magneton so, Im going to do some hunting there.
I also know that I DREAM of having a Shiny Teecko, so if anyone has ANY 5/6IV Treeckos I would love two!
So, sad news everyone, I believe to have lost my SS copy. It could be in my Mom's Purse(She puts every game there) or it could be gone, Thank God for a HG Copy!
So for right now, That Hunt's on hold. Hoping to get that Metang and Treecko before ORAS. Also thinking about Horde Hunting for a Mareep., but gotta obtain that Metang first!

Congrads to: Sparkly Mc-S on Spinda, Cyberra on Spearow, and tomatohater on Trampinch (ORAS Team member?)

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
OK, screw the Beldium MM hunt, I got a FS with Metang and Magneton so, Im going to do some hunting there.
I also know that I DREAM of having a Shiny Teecko, so if anyone has ANY 5/6IV Treeckos I would love two!
So, sad news everyone, I believe to have lost my SS copy. It could be in my Mom's Purse(She puts every game there) or it could be gone, Thank God for a HG Copy!
So for right now, That Hunt's on hold. Hoping to get that Metang and Treecko before ORAS. Also thinking about Horde Hunting for a Mareep., but gotta obtain that Metang first!

Congrads to: Sparkly Mc-S on Spinda, Cyberra on Spearow, and tomatohater on Trampinch (ORAS Team member?)

Gaah, it is really troubling me...

Also, how could one transfer it straight away to ORAS? Via PokeBank maybe?

Shiny Lord

OMG!!! So just caught my 8th and final shiny of my badgequest for Heartgold!! Been hunting on Route 48 since July 23rd 2014 and finally got that 8th elusive shiny and it was one of the ones I wanted the most and one of the ones I didn't have shiny yet from this route! So my final shiny of my badgequest is DIGLETT!!! I did not expect for Diglett to be the one to shine on this route because it only has a 4% Encounter rate. I'm so happy!!! Congrats to everyone else who has gotten a shiny lately.(Especially to everyone who has gotten badgequest shinies.)

#50 Diglett [Naive]
IVs: 23 / 15 - 19 / 10 - 14 / 0 - 4 / 15 - 19 / 0 - 4
Stats at Lv.20: 38|0 / 30|0 / 17|0 / 19|0 / 23|0 / 47|0

Last edited:

Null&VoidXIII

Shiny Hunter
I'm new to both this site and shiny hunting but while hatching porygon eggs one shined for me, which totally caught me off guard! It's a lonely nature (sadly) with download ability and it has 3 31 iv's in hp, atk, and spA. It's other iv's are quite high as well.

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
No new shinies for me still. I'm now at 17300 REs for my BQ in HG and no shiny showed up for this week of focusing on this hunt.

Congrats to the recent shinies, especially Kyle Clarthy on Azelf, tomatohater on Trapinch, and more BQ shinies. Also good luck to all ongoing hunts, especially Terra Force on your SR, Cpchris on Scyther, ChaoticInverse on Torchic, Lunafloon on Sandile, Keane on Cranidos, Roseheart95 on your BQ, RaichuArcanine on Chimchar, and Storm_Dragoon on Mandibuzz. Thanks for the encouragement Keane. Welcome to the thread Null&VoidXIII. Sorry to hear about the lost Totodile, Zekromaster826.

yoshi007

Ice Type Trainer
Congrats to Spawty on Froakie, Keyblade_Cub on Miltank and 3 Spinda (wow!), RaichuArcanine on Shinx, tomatohater on that amazing perfect-IV Trapinch, Sparky Mc-S on Swablu and on reclaiming Spinda, Cyberra on Spearow, Iwanuq on Sliggoo, Kyle Clarthy on Azelf (!!), Storm_Dragoon on Espeon and Jolteon (even if they're not technically new shinies they're still awesome), JohnNiles on Pinsir, Aron, Gastly, Wingull, Spiritomb, and Terrakion (!!), oarfish on Fraxure, Fletchinder, and Tyrunt, kirkeastment on Rattata, professorj15 on Mareep and Froakie, Shiny Lord on Diglett and completing your Badge Quest, Null&VoidXIII on Porygon, and anyone else I may have missed on their shinies!

Thanks for the congrats Tattooed Tooth and JohnNiles! :)

Sorry to hear about your SoulSilver copy Blackkyurem. :( I hope you do end up finding it.

Everyone's thoughts on the easier shiny rates in the Friend Safari? STILL forming my opinion on it. xD

I'm a bit torn in regards to this. I mean I loved it when I first discovered it, as I was just getting properly into shiny hunting then, so that was great. And on the one hand it is good to give players a kind of reward like that by making shiny Pokémon more common in that one area. On the other hand, it does make certain shiny Pokémon way more common, so I've kind of stopped going in as much now that I've been hunting more, as they don't feel as special to me. Still cool though.

@yoshi007: FR/LG don't have the Dry Battery problem like R/S/E. You can hunt in FR and LG without worry.

Ah, thanks! I've decided I'm going to try once again to get a copy. There are a few good offers I've seen for it that are legit copies, only problem is by the time the auction ends they're usually pretty expensive, but I'll see what I can get my hands on.

I've been trying to get extra copies of all the event Legendary Pokemon that I only have 1 of (so that I can back them up in PokeBank) and so in order to do this, I've been offering trading shinies on GTS.

So I've been hunting in the Friend Safari on my Y looking for shinies. I've been leading with fainted Adamant Synchronize Munna and looking in my Safari that has Gabite, Dragonair, and Druddigon. I've been doing it for about a week. I've found FIVE shiny Dragonair, only ONE shiny Gabite, and ZERO shiny Druddigons! Lol. Druddigon is the one I really want, too. I don't even think I'd trade it away.

Some of them have good natures and IVs, and I'll be posting them on GTS soon looking for the rare event legends such as Manaphy, Jirachi, etc. If you want to claim one of these, just PM me. But still, it's been very cool to get so many shinies!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought event legendaries can't be traded on GTS?

Gaah, it is really troubling me...

Also, how could one transfer it straight away to ORAS? Via PokeBank maybe?

Ooh, I do hope they make it possible to transfer between X/Y and OR/AS via Pokébank, as I've only got one 3DS and they're not as cheap to buy as the DS Lite I got the other day, even second hand. I mean, it should work, right? I assume ORAS will be Pokébank compatible so then it's just a case of switching games. I hope...

So, I managed to beat the league on SoulSilver! (Yaaaaayyyyy) Was disappointed that there were no trainers in Victory Road as my Pokémon were only around level 43 by the time I reached the Indigo Plateau. I couldn't be bothered level grinding again though, so I thought "what the hell" and went for it. Will and Koga were easy enough, Bruno was slightly more difficult, and Karen's Houndoom completely wiped out my team on my first try (I kinda cheated by saving before her so I could SR though :p). Second try was more successful, and then it was time for Lance. I managed to beat him (technically on my second try, as I soft reset after Gyarados' Waterfall made my Ampharos flinch twice in a row, because screw that) and only had to use two Max Revives. So Hall of Fame number #1, woooo!

After that Entei respawned and, as expected, it isn't shiny. Argh, kind of frustrating that there's no other way to hunt it now as I know once I get Suicune it's gonna bother me that I won't have the complete trio in shiny form. But anyway, I proceeded to Olivine and boarded the S.S. Anne to Kanto. No particular direction you need to go once you're there, so I'm currently in the Celadon Game Corner trying (and often failing) to win coins at this damn Voltorb Flip game for Porygon. Need about 50,000 coins if I'm to soft reset for it, and I currently have a total of... a little over 5,300. So not going great. :/ Anyway, once I either reach my target in coins or get bored (most likely the latter), I'll see if I can head over to Pallet Town yet so I can SR for Charmander. I'll be battling as little trainers as possible as I want to progress through Kanto properly with a new team (which will probably take forever to train up but oh well). We'll see how that goes.

Over on Black I've reached 1,010 soft resets for Tepig. It feels good to have my first SR hunt that's gone into four figures (I've been incredibly lucky with the two SR hunts I've done in the past), but at the same time I'm getting kind of demotivated/bored with it so might take a break from it for a few days. I know I have no right to complain or anything as SR hunts usually take a few thousand and I've just reached one thousand, but I was hoping it'd shine relatively quickly so I could start the game and play through again (though I expected Raikou to last for months instead so can't complain). But yeah, I feel like I just want to focus on SoulSilver right now, and maybe Emerald or another Gen III game if I manage to get my hands on it.

So, that's all my news. Nothing particularly noteworthy unfortunately. And once again this post is getting long, apologies.

Good luck to everyone on your hunts! :)

EDIT: Remind me again why there is no option to buy coins in this game... (SS)

Last edited:

*IZ*

Congrats to everyone!

I also hatched my fancy pokemon at 140 eggs. This one was really fast.
http://i.imgur.com/e6txzK8.jpg

My next target will be a fast ball torchic. The ball is obviously hacked in but the pokemon will be legit.

Neji-and-Pidgeot

I managed to chain Eevee, Skiddo and Pikachu up to 40 and get a shiny from all 3 chains. After some practice it was really easy to get a chain to 40. The Eevee is male and calm. I nicknamed it poema and caught it in a dive ball. It's going to be a vaporeon. The Pikachu is male and sassy. I caught it in a luxury ball. The skiddo is female and quirky. I just threw a quick ball at it as it was the pokemon that I was practicing on. I nicknamed my shiny charmeleon Spectrum. I guess now I will try and get that female nidoran so my shiny team will be complete.

shinycharizard06

DiversePokemonMaster
congratulations to all the recent shinys especially BQ shinys and shiny legendaries I've seen a few since my last post.

I'm stopping my SR hunt for the night at 1900 SRs, 5700 starters seen. would've been more but been busy all night. I'm really looking forward t that starter and I think I may do a badgequest after all. its just too tempting but first I need to get this starter.

thanks to everyone who wished me luck its highly appreciated and good luck to all of you still hunting. I enjoy seeing all the shinys that the community gets even though it makes me a little jealous. Happy hunting!

Iwanuq

Iwan
Congratulations to everyone on their shiny hunts!

So I've come with some good news from my SS BQ hunt! I got a shiny Abra from the game corner in goldenrod city! And I beat Whitney, now I'm trying to decide if I should SR for Sudowudo or if I should go or the second pokemon at the game corner(I would have to raise enough money to buy it at the game corner. In not good at the slot machines lol) any who good luck to all those hunting in BQ and everything else! And thanks for all the congrats on my other shinies!

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Low and behold, I FINALLY have my Shiny Trapinch. It was my first serious MM attempt, and the stubborn shiny came after 1407 eggs. I was so excited, and when I checked the IV's, I was absolutely gob-smacked, it was perfect, all 31 apart from Special Attack! It was all worthwhile and I will train him up an devolve him later.

For my next MM hunt, I want to do either a Ninetales or Umbreon, however I do not have the correct Pokemon with the right natures, IV's and abilities, so if anybody has spares from their hunts, give me a shout!

Congrats! I knew you'd get it soon. I've been moving way too slow with my hunt, but I'll get it eventually!

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Pluski on Unown, Shiny Swalot on Chikorita, *IZ* on Deino, Blasting Toise on Pawniard, Crystagon on Honedge, Misjie on Nidoran, Kirkeastment on Chikorita, Spawty on Froakie, Keyblade_Cub on Miltank, tomatohater on Trapinch, Kyle Clarthy on Azelf, JohnNiles on Pinsir and Aron and Gastly and Terrakion, oarfish on Tyrunt, kirkeastment on Rattata, professorj15 on Froakie, Shiny Lord on Diglett, Null&VoidXIII on Porygon, *IZ* on Cyndaquil, Iwanuq on Abra, and everyone else on your shinies!

Too bad about the Spinda, Sparky Mc-S :( But glad you reclaimed it! And sorry about the Totodile, Zekromaster826! Try not to get in the habit of SRing just because you’ve cycled through the starters – get in the habit of SRing when you confirm something isn’t shiny instead! You’re not the first person to SR over a starter in recent memory, and I think people do it because they forget what the real trigger is for SRing. Easy mistake, unfortunately (I can see myself doing something like that at times :x).

Thanks, Shadowkrow, Misjie, Keane, Tattooed Tooth, and cocoadragon!

-----------

After hunting all day yesterday, I didn't find a shiny unfortunately, but I managed to increase my RE's by quite a bit, if that's a good thing xD 35,597 REs on Route 32, so it's getting closer to 40,000 now. I mean, I know it's not that close to 40,000, but I'm starting to think in bigger numbers now xD

Once you start getting to numbers like that, it’s harder to look in increments of 1,000 or less and a lot easier to think in increments of 5-10k instead :p

------------

Yay, but also, WHY?

Saturday morning, after 18,769 REs Platinum decided to finally reward me with…Shiny Machoke. I’m happy I got a shiny, but I was really hoping that after this many REs, it would at least be ANYTHING other than another Machoke – even a Machop -_- I swear my games just loathe me sometimes. I mean, I guess this one’s at least male, while my other one was female, but…

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/KlC9zMA.jpg[/IMG200]

I actually had a good feeling about getting a shiny today, which I don’t normally have (though I still chalk that up to coincidence). I had literally just finished watching the latest episode of Korra; the credits started and I looked down and saw a green Machoke partially-entered on my screen. Joy and disappointment all in one!

Male like I said, Relaxed, sturdy body, Guts ability. IVs are:

Ugh, I’m sorry to complain about a shiny – and I am still happy to have it, it’s just that I’ve had my fill of finding pointless duplicates of ugly pokemon in long hunts with Magby (as a reminder, my 5th Magby took 20.3k REs, and my 6th Magby took 25.7k REs). Granted, 18k isn’t too long of a hunt, but…Seriously, I couldn’t even just get a Machop and complete the family >.<?!

On to Phase 3 :x And here’s the live video of it.

I decided I’d try to start keeping a shiny dex in Pokebank, just for fun. So I’m just organizing my shinies by dex number, which includes evolutionary stages, but I won’t be including duplicates beyond that (so I’ll have 1 Magby, 1 Magmar, and 1 Magmortar). While doing this, I also saw that I don’t have a single 3rd gen shiny! I’ve only ever owned a 3rd gen shiny for probably less than a minute, when my Budew evolved into Roselia, only to be evolved into Roserade immediately after. I’m now actively hunting some (Aron and Swablu), but for now, I have none :x I guess it’ll be kind of cool when one finally shines, especially with ORAS due to release in a few months (not to mention mega-Altaria!).

And since Pokebank has so much space, I think I’ll sort of keep two dexes – one with all the pokemon I have consolidated (taking up fewer than 2 boxes atm), and another where I’ll use a bunch of boxes, essentially having placeholders for each possible pokemon, and fill in the few that I have.

For now, I have 40 unique Dex shinies, with 6 families completed (9 if you count single stage pokemon, like Audino, Giratina, and Ho-Oh). I feel like a lot of shiny hunters have an ultimate goal to find every possible shiny, whether consciously or subconsciously, so I feel like I’m a little late in getting around to actually organizing my shinies into dex-form :x

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas, cocoadragon, Shadowkrow, ChaoticInverse, Roseheart95, Keane, RaichuArcanine, Storm_Dragoon, Misjie, Flyingflygon13, and Lunafloon)!