• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Drakonekoshi

Congrats everyone, ESPECIALLY Roseheart95 on finally completing your hunt, I'm glad you finally got it, you have so much patience!

Last week I hatched my shiny Kabuto, but I didn't get any photos yet, now I'm hunting for a shiny Machop, which I started the same day i got Kabuto, after I get it I will hunt for a shiny Mewtwo in my Soul Silver, as my 100th shiny!

good luck everyone!

Shy

★★★★★
I haven't been Shiny hunting as much as I use to, BUT I just really wanted to wish Roseheart95 on finally getting your 2nd BQ Shiny. I hope the rest of your BQ Shinies come with less of a struggle. XD Good luck!

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I had some luck this week in my X game. I decided to just post all three on my weekly visit this time.

First I went horde spamming on route 6 and by some stroke of luck managed to catch the only horde shiny I didn't already have there: hoppip. :D It's male, quirky nature, chlorophyll ability, and likes to relax.

Next I did a horde spam outside Laverre during one of the few times I didn't find it raining, and found a shiny skorupi. It's female, battle armor ability, bashful nature, and very finicky.

Lastly, I went back to Route 12, where I caught my shiny octillery, to try again for shiny corsola, and this time it worked. :) It female, hustle ability, rash nature, and strong willed.

Good luck to everyone!

EDIT: And I didn't realize until I looked to see this month's community hunt that if I'd caught hoppip just a few hours later, I'd already have had the community hunt complete. -_- Maybe I'll try spamming lombre, roselia (even if it's a repeat), or bellsprout.

Last edited:

LilyValley

Useless Sceptile
First, thanks to Caracara and Tina on the good luck (I really hope it does something) and congrats to Roseheart95! I didn't know it was a Badge Quest... hopefully this means the hardest targets are complete. I was a little angry about Zapdos, but because it's taking so long, I realized that my strategy for catching it wasn't foolproof.

So you see, here's my plan: Umbreon is my Synchronizer, Kingler is False Swiper. I know Kingler can't stay in that long, so Umbreon would lower its HP some more with Dark Pulse. But! If Dark Pulse is a critical, it's an OHKO, even after a Charge. I've changed it to Quick Attack, and since Umbreon can tank hits so well, I'm thinking that Discharge will Paralyze Umbreon, Synchronize activates, then some Fast Balls later (finally a shiny with a matching Pokéball) and that is basically it.

Shabadoo

King of Mediocrity
KINDLE_CAMERA_1409858504000.jpg

OMG A SHINY CYDAQUIL AND ONLY AFTER 130 SRS!!! I have appropriately named him Blazin and he is of the relaxed nature! ^^ I don't mind the reduced speed but he does have a lil bit more bulk! And that also kicks off my HG bq ^^

Blasting Toise

Congrats on recent shinies to everyone :)

I was looking for shiny Frogadier from FS again and this time shiny Floatzel appeared instead. Not as cool as Greninja but nice to have at least something shiny from that safari hunt

Cyberra

pain in the ***
After catching ponyta I decided to move over to a grass safari... 1,418 encounters later this appears on my screen...

[IMG139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/Picture6663_zps4cc2e4f3.jpg[/IMG139]

Shiny gogoat ^^ He's got his HA and is Hardy natured, and Alert to Sounds. I will be remaining in this safari and seeing if I can get the other two pokemon (oddish and swadloon).

Community hunt complete, btw ^_^

My other hunts are going well... Eevee is up to 780 eggs, and Regice is at 9,500 SRs.

Last edited:

ElectricBassClef

Congrats to everybody who got a shiny since I last posted forever ago, including Roseheart95 on Ekans (finally!); julabird on Noctowl; oarfish on Clamperl, Clauncher, and Remoraid x4; maldoror on Lillipup x4, Loudred x3, Audino x???, Barbaracle, Geodude, Camerupt; Storm_Dragoon on Pachirisu, Buneary and Wingull; Shiny Lord on Helioptile; *Murkrow on Sawsbuck and Aipom; MultiDarkShadow777 on Gabite; SoulSilver Eric on Ponyta; Shao-May on Ralts; tothewest88 on Lombre; Typhlosion_Hunter_Mark on Psyduck x2; Scrufox86 on Amaura and Croagunk; Crimson Penguin on Zorua; Drakonekoshi on Kabuto; wobbanut on Hoppip, Skorupi and Corsola; Shadaboo on Cyndaquil; Blasting Toise on Floatzel; Cyberra on Gogoat.

I'm a little frustrated here. I've been MMing for Drought Vulpix for a while because Ninetales is an amazing shiny and Drought is a great ability, even if GameFreak nerfed it. So far I have hatched four shiny Vulpix with Flash Fire. Four. One took over 2200 eggs. Yeah, I know, a shiny is a shiny, but this is getting kind of ridiculous. Aren't 60% of the Vulpix supposed to be hatching with their hidden ability? And yes, I am sure that the mother has the Drought ability. And plenty of the non-shiny Vulpix are being born with this ability, just none of the shiny ones. Sigh. I wonder if this is my punishment for accidentally hatching a shiny Treecko while breeding trade fodder right before I start this hunt. Oh well. At least this is my last hunt where I'm breeding for a specific ability.

Good luck to everybody, especially Storm_Dragoon on Mandibuzz! Now there's a rough hunt!

Growlie19

Congrats to all the new shinies since my last post!

Nothing new on my end, but seeing as how many people are doing a badge quest, I've started one too! I'm only at 100 SRs for a starter. Hoping most for a Cyndaquil, then Chikorita next. Totodile would have been my target, but I already bred one in Y. I'd like to avoid repeats, but we'll see how that turns out....

Good luck to everyone else hunting! The shiny will come eventually, don't lose hope! :)

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
Congratulations to Maldoror on Lillipupx2 and Audinox2 (even if they're not what you wanted...), oarfish on Clauncher, Scrufox86 on Amaura and Croagunk, Crimson Penguin on Zorua, Drakonekoshi on Kabuto (Mewtwo is a great idea for a 100th shiny hunt :)), wobbanut on Hoppip, Skorupi and Corsola, Shabadoo on Cyndaquil, Blasting Toise on Floatzel and Cyberra on Gogoat!

Thanks to Maldoror, xKatie0391, Carcara, Crimson Penguin, Tina, Drakonekoshi, Shy, LilyValley and ElectricBassChef for the congrats and special messages! It means a lot :)

Special good luck to Storm_Dragoon on Mandibuzz and ElectricBassChef on getting that specific Vulpix!

So, I started off my RE hunt on Route 33 yesterday. Only 88 REs done so far. Defeating Bugsy was actually pretty tough, and took a few tries, since I was mainly just using my new Ekans and my Bayleef. I kept trying to set up Reflect with Bayleef, but Scyther kept using Focus Energy, so it didn't do much, but I beat him in the end. I've decided, after this hunt, I'll go and SR for an Eevee, since I've never successfully got a shiny one, and haven't used an Eeveelution on any of my teams for a while.

Good luck to everyone hunting!

Typhlosion_Hunter_Mark

Galaxy Trainer
Community hunt completed!
After another 202 horde encounters I finally found (and caught) a green Hoppip!

[img240]http://s29.postimg.org/4z9ixa8if/CAM01348.jpg[/img240]

And with that I completed the community hunt for the first time! Can't wait for next month.

I'll now continue my MM hunt for Nidoran-M. Which still sits at 360 eggs. And I'll also continue my GameCorner Abra SR hunt on HG (165 SR's (825 seen) so far).

On another note:
Congrats to Storm_Dragoon on Bunnelby, Roseheart95 on Ekans, oarfish on Clauncher, Scrufox86 on Amaura and Croagunk, Crimson Penguin on Zorua, Drakonekoshi on Kabuto, wobbanut on Hoppip, Skorupi and Corsola, Shabadoo on Cyndaquil, Blasting Toise on Floatzel and Cyberra on Gogoat!

And thanks to Roseheart95, Carcara, Crimson Penguin, Tina and ElectricBassClef for their congrats!

Shiny Lord

Congratulations to julabard on Noctowl, oarfish on Clamperl and Remoraidx2, maldoror on Lillipupx2, Loudredx3, Barbaracle, Geodude and Camerupt, Storm_Dragoon on Pachirisu and Bunnelby, Shiny Lord on Helioptile, *Murkrow on Sawsbuck and Aipom, MultiDarkShadow777 on Gabite, SoulSilver Eric on Ponyta, Shao-May on Ralts, PokemonMegaBeats on Azelf, tothewest88 on Lombre and Typhlosion_Hunter_Mark on Psyduckx2!

Well, after 40,734 REs (which, needless to say, is my longest hunt to date):

Pretty glad this hunt is over, as you can imagine xD I'm pretty happy with Ekans, too, although my next plan is to hunt on Route 33, so it would've been nice if I hadn't found something that could already be found there, but I wouldn't mind the duplicate too much, as it means I'll be able to have both Ekans and Arbok in shiny form. I'm mainly hoping for Rattata once I get there, as it'll be a good HM slave, or even just a fun Pokemon to use, because it's often overlooked. I totally wasn't paying attention when this guy came up on my screen (sure you've heard about/experienced that countless times before xD), just looked down and was like: "Oh!" xD

I just wanted to say thanks a lot to everyone who was giving me encouragement on this long hunt - it meant a lot to me and it made me happy that people cared about the hours I was putting in when I could well have been doing other things... I guess we all know that feeling xD Sometimes it just seems a bit pointless, but it always pays off in the end. I'm kind of sorry, too, that this hunt didn't catch up to Storm_Dragoon's, because I know it always helps when you're on a particularly long hunt to have someone else sharing your pain, as it were.

As for future hunts for the BQ, apart from Route 33, I haven't decided on anything except for probably SRing for Lapras. It's not a hunt I've seen many people do, and I don't really know why. As far as I know, Lapras will stick around if you save in front of it on Friday, even if the clock rolls over. Am I wrong about this?

Anyway, I think that's all for now. Anyone wondering about those stickers on my DS, they're Dr Who stickers from about seven or eight years ago. Time really flies xD Good luck to everyone hunting, and I hope my pictures have worked because I've never tried that before. I would've put them in spoiler tags, but for some reason I can never get them to work. Ah, well.

Congrats on finally getting another shiny for your badgequest. Hopefully you get a couple of quick hunts now.

Quils

Strange Creature
Hello everyone! First of all, congrats on your recent shinies, specially those who appeared after very long hunts. Good luck to everyone still hunting!

I tried something different. I really hate chaining, I just find it so stressful but I managed to get a chain of 40 and caught this little bug:
[IMG139]http://33.media.tumblr.com/72502bece6b63edc5b88e3c63e1a7ef0/tumblr_nbft6tsZZ81si2eeko1_1280.jpg[/IMG139]
Whoops, forgot to resize the image, but it doesn't matter since it's in the spoiler c:

She's Mild, and her IVs are 30/31/1-3/31/24-25/28-29. The Defense really sucks, but everything else is awesome.
Something funny happened. I recorded the shiny patch on video, but then my camera ran out of memory so I didn't record her sparkles. Recording a shiny patch but still failing to get the shiny live... hahaha...
Anyway here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q5G1ca6Rl0

Last edited:

Scherzando

scare-TZAN-doe
A big congrats to everyone who recently got a shiny! They all look so awesome ;A; I've been working on this Ralts for weeks... *sigh* but everyone's stories are helping to keep my motivation up. My total is around 1,420 eggs, give or take a few hundred :p so hopefully now that I'm over the odds, a shiny will appear soon.

Good luck to everyone, especially those of you SRing/hunting in 3rd and 4th gens, hatching without the masuda method/shiny charm, etc. You guys need it the most!

cryuel

A big congrats to everyone who recently got a shiny! They all look so awesome ;A; I've been working on this Ralts for weeks... *sigh* but everyone's stories are helping to keep my motivation up. My total is around 1,420 eggs, give or take a few hundred :p so hopefully now that I'm over the odds, a shiny will appear soon.

Good luck to everyone, especially those of you SRing/hunting in 3rd and 4th gens, hatching without the masuda method/shiny charm, etc. You guys need it the most!

I hear you. If Trapinch didn't evolve into my favourite Pokémon, I would not have kept breeding for weeks and months. *sigh*

Anyhow, my months-long shiny drought has finally come to an end!! :3
After having bred one successfully in W2, I decided to have a go at it again to pass on a prettier ball and have a 5IV or at least good 4IV shiny Trapinch in X. After not many eggs at all (around the 30-50 range, if I remember correctly) one hatched, though unfortunately not only was it missing a 31 HP IV.. it had to have 3-4 in HP.
That basically begun my desire to MM a second one since the first one went so fast, and it resulted in the longest shiny drought ever. x(

After about 4000-7000 eggs (I usually count accurately but stopped starting 4000 as it was getting depressing) and months of on-off attempts, the first egg in my fresh batch of 5 FINALLY turned out to be a shiny~~~ :3 It was a 31/31/31/0/31/31 at that. And as if to taunt me/award me with positive Karma, the last of the five eggs also turned out to be a shiny (4 IV, but nonetheless). It's weird, this has actually happened before with a shiny Gastly I was trying to MM when two hatched in the same batch. ^_^

Anyhow, I hope my shiny drizzle spreads to all of you!! <3 Good luck everyone and remember: perseverance prevails! :)

pokemaster13

Shiny Hunter!
Congrats to Typhlosion_Hunter_Mark on Psyduck and Hoppip, Storm_Dragoon on Bunnelby, Scrufox86 on Amaura and Croagunk, Crimson Penguin on Zorua, Drakonekoshi on Kabuto, wobbanut on Hoppip, Skorupi, and Corsola, Shabadoo on Cyndaquil, Blasting Toise on Floatzel, Cyberra on Gogoat, Quils on Illumise, and cryuel on Trapinch!

And a huge congrats to Roseheart95 on Ekans! Glad you finally found a shiny on that route (plus Arbok is a really cool shiny)!

Also, thanks to Carcara and Tina for the good luck!

-----------------

Chimchar is at 9,600 SRs now. I should be able to do a good amount of hunting this weekend, which means I'll be hitting 10k very soon. Although last night I started feeling really sick, so I might not feel like doing much hunting.

Good luck on all of your hunts!

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
I have not posted in a while. I have not gotten any new shinies since that time, because I had pulled some muscles in my back and I felt the need to recuperate and not play to much. I have been lurking here a bit though. I started hunting again yesterday. My BQ hunt in B2 is at 3505 REs.

Congrats to Tina on Lugia and Roseheart95 on Ekans and ending that long hunt. Also good luck to all ongoing hunts.

MDS777

The name's Riley
Congrats to SoulSilver Eric on Ponyta, Shao-May on both Ralts, PokemonMegaBeast on Azelf, tothewest88 on Lombre, Typhlosion_Hunter_Mark on both Psyduck and Hoppip, Storm_Dragoon on Bunnelby, Roseheart95 on Ekans, oarfish on Clauncher, Scrufox86 on Amaura and Croagunk, Crimson Penguin on Zorua, Drakonekoshi on Kabuto, wobbanut on Hoppip, Corsola, and Skorupi, Shabadoo on Cyndaquil, Blasting Toise on Floatzel, Cyberra on Gogoat, Quils on Illumise, cryuel on several Trapinch, and everyone else I may have missed. Phew, that took a long while to type.

Anyways, after getting my recent shiny Gabite from the friend safari, that has motivated me to start shiny hunting again (yay!). I decided that I want to continue my Magnemite MM hunt that I started on 5/20/2014. So far, I've only hatched 150 eggs. I also plan to do the Community Hunt after Magnemite.

Good luck to everyone on their hunts! :)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
This afternoon, I did about 85 more soft resets for my Shiny Rayquaza hunt on Ruby version. I also worked on hatching more Oddish eggs for my Masuda Method hunt earlier today and I hatched around 30 more Oddish eggs, so that was progress at the very least. Oh and good luck to others on their Shiny hunts as well.

*Murkrow

Bird trainer
Congrats on the Gabite, Ponyta, Ralts, Rayquaza, Azelf, Lombre, Psyduck x2, Bunnelby, Ekans, Lillipups/Audino, Clauncher, Amaura, Croagunk, Zorua, Kabuto, Hoppip/Skorupi/Corsola, Cyndaquil, Floatzel, Gogoat, Hoppip, Illumise and Trapinch.

After finishing evolving my newest batch of Pokémon, I was paging through my Friend Safari's, looking to see if anybody new had been online at the same time as me. Nobody had, but I realised there were a fair chunk of Safari's at the end that I had never actually entered. So I started to go through them, and after entering an electric one, the first encounter was this:
[IMG139]http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff320/Hkrow/Shinies/P1030909_zps2e9fca07.jpg[/IMG139]

I caught him in the second Heal Ball. :)
OT/ID. No./Pickup
Relaxed nature

He is above average potential with max IV's in HP and Attack.

My Pokédex is now at 642, so getting close to the Shiny Charm and my eventual shiny Murkrow. :)

Good luck on the hunts!