• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

serpent222

Spent most of my day shiny hunting with mild results. Hatched about 120 eggs in hopes of a rattata with no luck. Then hopped over to the friend safari for a very specific Braxien hunt. Multiple hours and over 600 encounters, and not a single shiny to be found. But a 20 minute break in my dragon safari netted me a shiny Sliggoo. Currently taking a break from the Braxien hunt and trying to hatch a shiny vulpix. Only at about 25 eggs now.

Dangertrout

Hi guys! I've been dealing with some medical stuff + university, so no time for forums or shiny hunting lately.
I've mostly just been MMing for Torchic in X when I have time.
I haven't been counting, but I know I released 300 HA torchics into WT, so 400-500 is probably a safe estimate of eggs hatched so far. :p
GLE!

DJX

Shiny hunter
Congrats to all recent shinies Good news!

after failing chaining and reaching 50+ chainsa nd nothing

It sparkled i got my light blue shiny poliwag now to think , if it should be a polwrath or a politoad :(

Misjie

Shiny hunter
Congratulations to: NintendoFan82 on Horsea, TheEmeraldKnight on Cottonee, Typhlosion_Hunter_Mark on both Remoraid & Clempearl & Octillery & Corsola & Poliwag & Totodile & Sandshrew & Wooper, taufik386 on Mankey & Rotom & Shellder & Sableye, Cyberra on Snorunt & both Girfarig & Corsola & Drowzee & Buneary & Registeel & Rattata & both Sigilyph & Munna, Zali Zali on Krabby & Bibarel & Bergmite, _Edu on Vulaby & Charmander & Froakie, Solfatara on Drowzee, XLugiaReshX on Growlithe, eiger on Ho-oh, ShadowKrow on Pinsir, Razorbadger on Aerodactyl, SurrealistSmeargle on Tauros, Weavile.nl on Piloswine, serpent222 on Tyrouge & Dusknoir & both Psyduck & Pidgey & Sliggoo, Shine on Manectric, Tina on Eevee, LilyValley on Honedge, Shiny Lord on Krabby, egroendyk on Magikarp, syrrume on Remoraid, Shao-May on Honedge & Gothita & Rotom, Tsukuyomi56 on Eevee & Noctowl, Shabadoo on Chimchar, necris14 on Wingull, DJX on Chimchar & Clawitzer & Luvdisc & Magikarp & Basculin & Snorunt, jrmftw on Bunnelby & Pansear, Bunches on Altaria, Farscape0031 on Scraggy & Noctowl, StrongBad456 on Chikorita, maskofsanity1998 on Wailmer & Psyduck, darknova on pyroar & Charmeleon, Pluski on Magnemite, tonyg44x on Kangaskhan & Dratini, Ampharos_Spark on Tentacool, BmanP1 on that whole list of pokémon, i2i on Octillery & Both Poliwhirl & Ferroseed and anyone else I might have missed!

I'm just here for an update. It's not going as fast as I would but live takes time unfortunately :p But I still managed to do 2,375 RE's in the Slowpoke well and during this I did 271 SR's for Oshawott in pokémon white. If Oshawott shines I will also be doing a BQ on pokémon white.

Good luck to: Terra Force, Keyblade_Cub, Roseheart95, Shadowkrow, RaichuArcanine, Nakashima, pokefreak2014, Keane, ChaoticInverse, Storm_Dragoon, Cpchris, FlyingFlygon13, TheMaster327, Solfatara, LillyValley, pokemaster13, Lorde, Tina and anyone else who needs it!

I wish you all a nice day! :D

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
Congratulations on all the recent shinies!

Barely did any hunting recently, but I'm now at 7,230 REs on Route 33.

Good luck to everyone hunting!

maldoror

It's been awhile since I have posted, but I did find a few new shinies. I found Illumise, Girafarig, and Drowzee in FS over the past week or so. My zweilous hunt on White 2 continues and has surpassed 20,000 REs (the amount of dust cloud items I have found is staggering). I also am continuing to hunt Oshawott via MM.

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck on your ongoing hunts!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Today I worked even harder on my Shiny Rayquaza hunt on Ruby and did more than 90 soft resets for it in the span of an hour and a half. I also did some work on my Shiny Oddish Masuda Method hunt and I hatched several dozen eggs that I had stored before. I'm postponing this hunt for a few days. Anyway, good luck to others on their Shiny hunts.

doodlecloud

Shiny Hunter
doodlecloud, I'm asking because I really want to get the shiny starter and I feel as though I'm doing something wrong because I haven't gotten one after 5,000+ SRs. It's a combo of my OCD and weirdness. Also, sorry for being off topic and hopefully I'll be able to get a shiny starter soon.
No problem, I just wanted to make sure I was answering right. :) Unfortunately there's not much more to it but you're decently over the odds now so I'm sure something will shine soon!

So I'm having major laptop issues atm...I congratulated everyone and wrote out a whole post last night, only for my laptop to crash for like the fifth time that night before I could send it. >.< I think it's just something loose in the charge-y battery bit for now so I'll take it to the repair shop tomorrow but to be honest, the whole things is pretty old and falling apart....I think it may be time to start thinking about a new one. In any case, atm I'm on my parents laptop which has some dodgey new version of paint so I can't be asked to update my signature but I do have some news and photos. :)

But first, congratulations to Shabadoo on Chimchar (AMAZING luck), Shao-May on Rotom, necris14 on Wingull, Cyberra on Registeel (wow! I guess if you hunt enough you will have some pretty quick hunts but that's insane!), Rattata, 2 Sigilyph and Munna, Typhlosion_Hunter_Mark on Totodile, Sandshrew and Wooper, serpent222 on Pidgey and Sliggoo, Zali Zali on Bergmite, DJX on Chimchar (another quick Chimchar hunt! Feel kind of bad for pokemaster13...), Clawlitzer, Luvdisc, Magikaro, Basculin and Snorunt, jrmftw on Bunnelby and Pansear, _Edu on Froakie, Bunches on Altaria, Farscape0031 on Scraggy and Noctowl, StrongBad456 on Chikorita (oh hey, told you it'd shine! I look stupid now but I'm typing as I go through the thread lol), maskofsanity1998 on Psyduck, Pluski on Magnemite, tonyg44x on Kangaskhan and Dratini, Ampharos_Spark on Tentacool, BmanP1 on...everything, i2i on Octillery, 2 Poliwhirl and Ferroseed, Tsukuyomi56
on Noctowl and maldoror on Illumise, Girafarig an Drowzee,

Sorry about your missed Larvesta, darknova. :( Better luck next time.

Anyways, two days ago now I think, I was hunting in bed and it was 1:30 so I told myself I'd just do a few more before bed....and I'm really glad I did as I ran into a Shiny Wooper! It was 5994 REs overall. I totally wasn't expecting HG to shine so quickly, especially before X! A bit of a shame it wasn't a male as I like the double gill/whisker thingies and my other Wooper was a female too....but she's evolved into a beautiful shiny Quagshire now so I guess it doesn't matter. :)

[IMG139]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/yruahippo/wooper2.png[/IMG139]

In other news, my French copy of pokemon White arrived. It already had a file so I snooped around and it had a number of shinies, including 3 lvl 1 Shiny Beldum (which, given there were boxes of normal Beldum, I suppose had been MMd), and a legit looking Shaymin on it! Only problem is I'm pretty picky about stuff like that, I don't even really trade for version exclusives if I can help it as I like to have 'earned' my own pokemon. But legitimate Shaymin are like golddust...fortunately my boyfriend said he'd take it off me, along with some of the MMd pokemon that looked like they had great IVs. So, they're safely on his cartridge and I'm going to SR for a shiny Tepig. I'll probably only do about 1000 SRs before I give up and start anyway though.

Lastly, my X horde hunt is still at 1335 HEs (that's 6675 pokemon seen) and I've decided to hunt in Route 36 for my 3rd BQ shiny in HG. Hoping for a Growlithe but a Nidoran would be cool too.

Good to luck to everyone hunting, especially pokemaster13 on your various hunts, Typhlosion_Hunter_Mark on the rest of your BQ, TheMaster327 on your Rock Smash hunt, Crimson Penguin on your two hunts, Roseheart95 on your BQ and Storm_Dragoon on your Mandibuzz hunt!

Typhlosion_Hunter_Mark

Galaxy Trainer
Congrats to StrongBad456 on Chikorita, maskofsanity1998 on Wailmer and Psyduck, darknova on Pyroar and Charmeleon, DJX on Clawitzer, Luvdisc, Magikarp, Basculin and Snorunt, jrmftw on Pansear, Pluski on Magnemite, tonyg44x on Kangaskhan and Dratini, Ampharos_Spark on Tentacool, i2i on Octillery, Poliwhirl x2 and Ferroseed, Cyberra on Sigilyph, maldoror on Illumise, Girafarig and Drowzee, Tsukuyomi56 on Noctowl and doodlecloud on Wooper!

Thanks for the congrats to syrrume, pokemaster13, maskofsanity1998, jrmftw, Ampharos_Spark, Cpchris, Misjie and doodlecloud!

Also thanks for the good luck, doodlecloud! Good luck to you on your HG BQ as well!

On HG I reached Azalea Town, defeated Team Rocket in the Slowpoke Well and, after some training, beat the gym. Then, after some more training, I also defeated Silver, went trough Ilex Forest and Route 34 to reach Goldenrod City. As none of the pokémon of Ilex Forest and Route 34 really appeal to me, I decided to return to the Game Corner to SR for a shiny Dratini. So today I spent most of my time playing Voltorb Flip to get enough coins for buying five Dratini at once... Took me quite some time but I eventually developed some skills and managed to reach the required 10,500 coins! I started SRing right away, but atm I only have done 40 SR's (200 seen).

For my Zorua MM hunt on X I collected a total of 90 eggs, but hatched only 15 of them. Tomorrow I'll probably first collect even more eggs and then start hatching all of them.

Good luck shiny hunting!

PS.:
After beating Gymleader Bugsy Totodile evolved into Croconaw. I really like his shiny design, so I thought I'd just post a little picture of him.:D
[img240]http://s30.postimg.org/qzawkhctt/CAM01460.jpg[/img240]

Last edited:

StrongBad456

Beginning Trainer
Thank you to everyone that congratulated me. I've decided to SR again since I didn't want to play through the game with just one starter, so I traded my Chikorita to Soul Silver and I'm hoping for a shiny Totodile. Congrats to everyone else that got shinies and good luck to everyone hunting.

*Murkrow

Bird trainer
I gave up on my shiny Johto starter hunt at 19 hours SR'ing time. Combination of me realising I could have completed the game in that time as well as realising that I did really want to play through with Chikorita. I was hoping for a random encounter throughout the game, but no luck on that front. I was levelling an Umbreon to help with catching the beasts but after spending about twenty minutes unsuccessfully trying to find one for a test run, I gave up in frustration. I've also realised that I really don't feel like playing through B2/W2 so maybe it's a good thing I gave up on the shiny as I am debating on reselling Soul Silver.

Anyway, I've been playing Y a bit again. If I'm potentially not going to be transferring anything from previous generations, I do need to get hold of some more evolution stones for my living 'Dex. I happened to see a pot about Pickup items and after seeing that Sun and Moon Stones were available that way, I had a look in my boxes. By sheer luck, my shiny Pachirisu and Aipom have Pickup, so I grabbed them and a regular Dedenne and started to level them via Exp Share. Decided to take the opportunity to raise my regular Tyrantum and my shiny Murkrow at the same time.

I ended up on Route 21 and had managed to raise my Tyrantrum from L73-L92 in only a couple of hours. I'd spent some time in the FS before coming out to this route and was figuring that with all the Johto SR's I'd done as well, I was overdue for a new shiny. My game agreed.

[img139]http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff320/Hkrow/Shinies/P1040009_zps215e4899.jpg[/img139]

That is a bright green! She looked so out of place versus Tyrantrum. xD I wasn't certain how to weaken her, nor had any status moves on me (skipping teaching any moves to the Pickup lot to save a tiny bit of time could have backfired on me), but Ursaring has a 60 catch rate so not massively bad. I decided to throw my single Quick Ball and go from there. It shook three times and then clicked. Woohoo.

OT/ID. No./Quick Feet
Docile nature

I was considering putting her on the GTS to see if I could get a legend or one of the stone evolutions I need but right now she's replaced the regular Ursaring in my living 'Dex.

Congrats on new shinies and good luck with everybody's hunts. :)

TheMaster327

7,725 now (a massive 625 encounters today, starting at 9:30am, ending at 00:30, with meal breaks). Still absolutely nothing :(

I hope something comes soon...

SilverChiko

Protect The Smiles!
I've decided to start a SS Badge Quest and I'm only at 78 SR's, the reason I am posting is that I would like to know if a Trainer ID of 15720 is a hinderance or actually helpful?

Thanks in advance!

syrrume

Shiny Hunter
Hey guys just a quick one as it's 2am here and I have work at 8am! :O

Was religiously running around a friends fighting safari looking for one if my targets: Riolu,
The other two pokemon in that safari were throh and mankey.

I thought to myself how boring mankey and especially throh's shiny forms are and then after 3 & a half hours and more then 800 Encounters, A Throh decided to shine for me

I'm not gonna lie, I'm very disappointed with how much it doesn't look different ! But hey it's another shiny :)

Good luck to all!

Edit:

after about another 40 encounters in a ghost safari, a Lampent decided to shine for me aswell!! At first I almost missed the purple flame but then he sparkles!

Very pleased with this one as the shiny form of chandelure looks awesome in orange!!

Keep at it guys!!

Edit 2: a few hundred encounters and another 2 hours into a different ghost safari, and a Shiny Shuppet Appears!

Last edited:

shinycharizard06

DiversePokemonMaster
thank you Crimson Penguin for the good luck wishes and good luck to you on your hunts and to anybody else who needs it!
congrats on all recent shinies especially badgequests and softresets

I have gotten a couple hundred more softresets done so its around 5200-5300 currently but I don't know exactly. I'm thinking of starting this over with a new ID and everything because I would very much like this to end sooner. I've heard if IDs affecting it so is 62731 a bad ID or something? and should I reset and start the hunt over with a new ID or not? I would really like to get this starter and start my badgequest soon. thank you for anybody who cares enough to help out its much appreciated

Last edited:

pokemaster13

Shiny Hunter!
Congrats to StrongBad456 on Chikorita; maskofsanity1998 on Wailmer and Psyduck; darknova on Pyroar and Charmeleon, DJX on Clawitzer, Luvdisc, Magikarp, Basculin, Snorunt, and Poliwag; jrmftw on Pansear; Pluski on Magnemite; tonyg44x on Kangaskhan and Dratini; Ampharos_Spark on Tentacool; i2i on Octillery, Poliwhirl, and Ferroseed; Tsukuyomi56 on Noctowl; Cyberra on Sigilyph; serpent222 on Sliggoo; maldoror on Illumise, Girafarig, and Drowzee; doodlecloud on Wooper; *Murkrow on Ursaring; and syrrume on Throh!

Did some more hunting and reached 11,900 SRs for Chimchar, 1,100 total encounters for Raikou/Entei, and ~900 REs in Viridian Forest. Nada. That Chimchar is being particularly stubborn.

Good luck on all of your hunts!

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Tsukuyomi56 on Noctowl, doodlecloud on Wooper, *Murkrow on Ursaring, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks for the good luck, Misjie :)

-----------

I've decided to start a SS Badge Quest and I'm only at 78 SR's, the reason I am posting is that I would like to know if a Trainer ID of 15720 is a hinderance or actually helpful?

Thanks in advance!

Not sure what you’re driving at with that one – that the ID might be unlucky or that it might be good luck?

I'm thinking of starting this over with a new ID and everything because I would very much like this to end sooner. I've heard if IDs affecting it so is 62731 a bad ID or something? and should I reset and start the hunt over with a new ID or not? I would really like to get this starter and start my badgequest soon. thank you for anybody who cares enough to help out its much appreciated

With both of your worries, I’m not sure there’s any actual stock in the whole ‘good ID’ thing. There’s certainly been speculation, but I don’t think anyone has done any actual testing, nor has anyone found in code or anything that certain IDs will more likely get you a shiny. IDs do play a role in determining shininess, but I’m pretty sure not in a way that you can really manipulate much – as in, there are enough other factors playing into it that maybe an ID switch would happen to help based on the number it happens to help generate, and maybe it wouldn’t. Regardless, I don’t think there really are IDs designed/coded to actually be luckier.

-----------

I managed 400 REs today, plus 100 Johto starter SRs and 30 Snivy SRs. So 1,400 REs on Black 2, 9,300 REs on Platinum, 2,100 HBs on HeartGold, 1,200 SRs on HeartGold, and 1,610 SRs on White 2.

At the risk of getting too far ahead of myself (as I plan to continue headbutting for as many shinies as it takes to get Heracross), I think my next HG target will be in Slowpoke Well for none other than Slowpoke! I’d like to get one in time to have Mega-Slowbro when the new games come out, and I was planning on hunting a Slowpoke at some point to evolve into Slowbro even before its mega was announced, so I’ll just put a rush on it for when I’ve found Heracross :)

I noticed that in my pool of 48 shinies, I’m missing some types…One of which is Psychic – a type I could have had if I hadn’t stupidly failed Abra. The other two are Ice and Bug. I’m hunting two bugs right now, so hopefully I’ll get that type out of the way twice over and soon ;) And Ice…Hm…Articuno and Lapras are both shinies I intend on hunting sometime during my BQ or shortly after. So I guess it shouldn’t be too long until I’ve completed the types. Dare I say…Before the end of the year o_O?

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas, cocoadragon, Shadowkrow, ChaoticInverse, Keane, RaichuArcanine, Storm_Dragoon, Misjie, Flyingflygon13, eiger, pokemaster13, TheMaster327, LilyValley, maldoror, and Lunafloon)!

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
I really need to start uploading pics of my shinies before I got too many to show xD

I haven't upload my HA Modest Shiny Manectric I mentioned a few days ago, and now I have a HA Shiny Dedenne as well from the same FS :p

My safari's not that great, either. Lost count of the times I've asked for access to someone's safari and been turned down because mine's ground-type and nobody wants ground safaris.

Mine has Trapinch, Dugtrio, and Diggersby in it.

Of all the things in a Ground FS, mine has one whose evolved form didn't have any HA + another one whose normal ability is generally more useful.

Diggersby is literally the only good thing in mine.

I do like the idea of a Team Rocket teamed community hunt, but I don't think (pre-)evolutions should be included.

I decided to include the entire evolution line to make it easier to complete the CH. The CH feels kinda pointless if almost no one is completing it, like what happened......a few months ago, I think? Less than 8 completion in the entire month, I forgot what was the CH.

I don't know if this month's CH was announced or not, but if not, I had an idea.
For this month's CH, we hunt the following types:
Ghost
Dark
Psychic
& Bug

You know, something Halloween-y.

There was a small talk about TR-based CH a few pages back.

And according to the CH target list, there are Ghosts, Darks, Bugs, and even Psychics there, so it kinda match what you are proposing as well xD

Anyway, okay then, this month's CH is a CH themed after the "master" of disguise, Team Rocket.

Jessie/James
- Meowth line
- Wynaut line
- Pumpkaboo line
- Inkay line
- Yanma line
- Mime Jr. line
- Cacnea line
- Growlithe line
- Chingling line
- Ekans line
- Koffing line
- Wurmple line (only counted if it evolves into Cascoon/Dustox, otherwise not counted)
- Magikarp line
- Lickitung line
- Bellsprout line
- Woobat line
- Frillish line
- Yamask line
- Foongus line
- Seviper
- Carnivine

Butch/Cassidy
- Mankey line
- Tyrogue line (only if evolved into Hitmontop)
- Poochyena line
- Shellder line
- Shuckle
- Rattata line
- Houndour line
- Tentacool line
- Snubbull line
- Sableye

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I noticed that in my pool of 48 shinies, I’m missing some types…One of which is Psychic – a type I could have had if I hadn’t stupidly failed Abra. The other two are Ice and Bug. I’m hunting two bugs right now, so hopefully I’ll get that type out of the way twice over and soon ;) And Ice…Hm…Articuno and Lapras are both shinies I intend on hunting sometime during my BQ or shortly after. So I guess it shouldn’t be too long until I’ve completed the types. Dare I say…Before the end of the year o_O?

You know you just jinxed yourself, right? Lol

Mine has Trapinch, Dugtrio, and Diggersby in it.

Of all the things in a Ground FS, mine has one whose evolved form didn't have any HA + another one whose normal ability is generally more useful.

Diggersby is literally the only good thing in mine.

I've got wooper, dugtrio, and diggersby. Though, granted, wooper/quagsire's HA is kinda useful. Still not a good FS.

Second shiny munna found in the FS. Another female, without HA this time. Still searching for that red-eyed gothorita.

I managed 500 SRs today for virizion, getting my total up to 1,600 SRs. This hunt is starting to feel more normal. I'm up to 410 eggs for treecko now, as well.

Edit: Been doing some horde hunting in Connecting Cave, hoping for zubat or axew, and after 1,137 hordes/5,685 pokemon seen I get another whismur. Gonna keep this one for a friend who likes whismurs, and I'm going to continue counting up until I get one of my actual targets.

Last edited:

degausser

In the Cookie Jar
Spent three hours hunting hordes looking for shiny mareep. Came across a shiny wingull and i accidentally KO it with Ivysaur. I hate myself. Now im hunting in FS for a Mawlie

Oh jeez ended up with shiny dedenne ahhhh lol

Last edited: