• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Demonslayer492

Got it Memorized?
So late last night I resumed doing more soft resets for my Shiny Deoxys hunt and I did around 70 in total. I also hatched about 20 more Magby eggs for my Masuda Method hunt this morning, which was mediocre progress, but alas. Anyway, congrats to others and good luck to everyone else as well on their hunts.

If you're doing Deoxys in ORAS. I'd say stop. Serebii has updated he shiny page and even tho it says its still being tested. He's got down that Deoxys is coded not to be shiny in these games.

Congrats to all new shinies and everyone finding Shiny Zekrom Im starting to hate you all xD. I'm over 2500 SRs for Zekrom. I may or may not switch it up soon. I really want Zekrom so bad xD

DE3RE4K7

Legit Shinies

I have plenty of Shiny Gengar and Diancie Codes to trade for LEGIT shinies! I don't want any action replay or other hacks. PM me if interested Thanks!

Derek

*Murkrow

Bird trainer
On May 7th 2010 I caught this gorgeous thing:

[img139]http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff320/Hkrow/Shinies/P5070879-1_zpsb1eae48a.jpg[/img139]

Always liked Ho-oh as a Pokémon and always loved her shiny form. She wasn't my first SR legend but one I'd wanted for a long time, given I'd started shiny hunting pre-HGSS, when it was Navel Rock or bust and I had no access to Navel Rock. Finally being able to hunt and catch her was great.

And then nearly four years later she got deleted with the rest of my collection when I erased all my files and sold my games. Didn't intend to come back to Pokémon but I did and she was one of the shinies I missed the most. But, ehh
after ebuying SS, then after spending 20 odd hours on an unsuccessful starter hunt, finally giving up in frustration, I accepted that I just don't have the time or patience to put up with chasing 1/8192 shinies anymore. Then the news about non-shiny locked Mirage Spot legends was revealed and it was all sunshine and rainbows (though Ho-oh being in OR was annoying as I had my heart set on AS because I never played Sapphire and Primal Kyogre is beautiful. Oh well.).

And if you've read this far, you can guess what's coming next. :p

[img139]http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff320/Hkrow/Shinies/P1040338_zpsbe9d75c5.jpg[/img139]

Come back to momma. ♥

Only got the Shiny Charm in the morning and immediately set to SR'ing her seeing as I didn't have to go to work until late afternoon. I wasn't counting SR,s but hours and couldn't remember if I'd started SR'ing on the hour or five minutes past. So I decided to continue until five past and then a couple of SR's later she shone! And I only caught it out of the corner of my eye. Grr. Altogether she took slightly over three hours, non-continuous SR'ing.

I False Swiped twice to get he to 1HP as she used Punishment and then Sunny Day. I then realised I was going to have to switch my Venusaur into a potential boosted Fire Blast/Sacred Fire. O_O He has a 50 level advantage but weakness, the Sunny Day boost and a potential critical hit....but I had to do it anyway. He got hit with Fire Blast which knocked off half his health. Next turn I Mega Evolved to get Thick Fat, put her to sleep and started throwing Ultra Balls. She woke up once and hit him with some more attacks but finally went back to sleep. The fourth Ultra Ball got her! :D

Here she is with my OT/ID. No. and she has a Sassy nature. Her nature boosts her highest stat at the expense of one of her lowest ones. Her IV's unfortunately do not match her nature:

31/31/8-9/4-5/6-7/31

Awful defences yet with max speed. ._. At least HP is great and attack is her highest of her offensive stats. I'll probably EV train those and dump the last few points in special defence. Not like I actually battle anyone anyway.

My original targets for this game were Ho-oh, Suicune and Reshiram. I figured getting Reshiram in a regular ball wouldn't be that bad (unless they've raised its catch rate? I think there's been two posts here about Zekrom stuggling to death?), but I needed Master Balls as backup for the other two. With Ho-oh caught, that gives me freedom for a new target! Leaning towards Raikou at the moment. I hope to get Suicune in a Net Ball which would open room for another target as well (toss up between Entei/Kyurem/Cresselia at the moment. I'd like Tornadus but going through the soaring animation each time. Ugh.).

Wow that was lengthy. Congrats on all the new shinies since I last posted! Good luck on all the hunts. :)

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
I just beat the main game of my OR version.
Time to start SR'ing for a shiny Reshiram.
I kept my master ball this time, so I have that just in case.
I do not have the shiny charm currently on this version, (I might get it soon), so I am going in with less odds.
Oh well. I will still try.

Congratulations on all of the recent shinies everyone!

Typhlosion_Hunter_Mark

Galaxy Trainer
I managed to pull of a whopping 50 SRs on Treecko today! At this pace I'll probably have a shiny Treecko by Christmas (next year.. ;))

Just a little bit to busy with college, sports and moving out. I'll just progress slowly through this hunt. I think I have the patience to wait with playing the main game.

Congrats to everyone with brand new shinies. Especially that Ho-oh is a shiny I'd love to go for myself one day!

Good luck to everyone shiny hunting!

Last edited:

unicornhiccup

bye cruel people
Someone showed me a shiny diancie on the pss they hacked because people think making others jealous is fun. And I was like I honestly dont care bc I don't like shiny diancie, the regular one is way better. Like why do people waste their time showing off shinies. What if the person doesn't even care. There just wasting my time. Lmfao.

I don't like when people hack shiny locked Pokemon. Its just so silly.

I really want a shiny nickameable stantler so when I get my shiny charm that I'll never get bc no one wants to help me with my Dex, I'm gonna start hatching eggs.

Right now I'm gonna hunt for a horde shiny but I doubt I'll get anything.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
SECOND shiny sandile retrieved from the dark safari. I'm looking for mightyena, so the hunt will continue, and someone on the other end of a random wonder trade is about to be very very surprised.

Virizion is at 16,200 SRs. Can someone please send some luck my way?

Deerling (winter forme) is at 485 eggs.

KzBreakdown

Tamer of Gyarados
I guess I should be thankful, I mean, a shiny is a shiny, but it's still a dick move game.

See for the past four days I have been soft resetting for a shiny Latios. Now I have had much longer hunts than this, such as my fruitless 6 month long attempt to hatch a shiny Absol, but it's still pretty frustrating.

Anyways, earlier today I chose to take a break and went to visit my secret base in the desert, and while there I realized I had yet to catch a Cacnea to fill out my pokedex, so I decided to try to find one. In three encounters I had not a Cacnea, but instead a shiny Sandile. Three encounters.... After four days of SRing for Latios.....

I can just imagine the game laughing at me, shouting "HAH! You fool! You should have been soft resetting right now! Now you have this's little jerk!"

Oh we'll, like I said, a shiny is a shiny, even if it's not the one you want

Last edited:

Akko

Strawberry Sunrise
Hi again! Thanks to Razorbadger, Keovix, Cpchris, Twilit Dragoon and Supremacy for the congrats!

I've been chain hunting for Sandslash in X for the past few days and I got it today! I'm going to start chaining for Heatmor now

Congrats to MurderofKrow on Lotad, maldoror on Heatran, Cobalion and Virizion, serpent222 on Oddish, WhySoCarefree on Taillow, Lunistrella on Virizion, StrongBad456 on Feebas, Pacman on Clauncher, keldeoboy on Reshiram, Keovix on Zekrom, Vullaby and Sandile, The Majestic Mr L on Zekrom, rocky505 on Zekrom, KittyKitty3308 on Zekrom, Cutty on Treecko, kirkeastment on Mesprit, ShiningKnightXY on Heatran, Razorbadger on Mudkip, TheMaster327 on Treecko, Cyberra on Sandile x2, Echo Nacyl on Reshiram and Tornadus, Twilit Dragoon on Reshiram, Psynergy on Shuppet, Wishmaker Latias on Lapras, wobbanut on Torchic, DeliriousAbsol on Absol, Swopie on Ho-Oh, Cheeze IOW on Zubat, dark1raven3 on Eevee and Reshiram, *Murkrow on Ho-Oh, KzBreakdown on Sandile!

Keep on hunting everyone and good luck! ^_^

Scrufox86

Congrats to all new shinies since my last post. It has been a while but I have still been shiny hunting. Well not had much luck with MMing so I decided to go through Y version to try and get the shiny charm on it in preparation for getting the shiny charm on Omega Ruby (I got stuck on it just around the third gym and out of frustration decided to leave it for a few days and play other games). Well anyway I hatched a random shiny Zubat lol. And that is not all because I was on route 7 trying to find a ducklett for the pokedex and the first one to show up is a shiny Ducklett! so I have a 2nd shiny Ducklett now lol. So two unexpected shinies on Y version within a day not bad.

Good luck to all shiny hunters!

Zekromaster826

Casual Shiny Hunter
So I thought I would hop on the ORAS SR train and go for an azelf (maybe one I could use competitively) and I got one after 540 SRs! I ended up catching it in a Dusk Ball and unfortunately Synch didnt work (I was going for timid and got sassy :/). Oh well, a shiny is a shiny. My first ORAS and first SR shiny! GL to those hunting and grats to all the recent shinies.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
For those STILL doubting the lack of shiny lock on Mirage Spot Legends and the Lati twin (both eon ticket version and in-game event version), there are a lot of pics and live hunt videos for them already, so I don't know why are you still doubting it :p

Heck when I posted my Shiny Reshiram here last month, I also included the in-battle pic and the "give a nickname to the caught Reshiram" pic.
And we know it's impossible to cheat a shiny encounter in gen 6, so an in-battle pic should have been enough proof.

Speaking of them though.......I'm at more than 1140 SRs for Eon Ticket Latias so far, and no shine yet. Hopefully she shines soon - I want to do other things already. Like preparing my Secret Base or continue my halted MM hunt.

-----------------------------

Well, it's already the fifth day in December and it seems that we don't have a CH yet, so.....I guess this time I'll pick one. Hopefully you guys don't mind.

There were three ideas being presented.

How about the CH is about finding shinies that are warm and ones that are cold? Not every place in the world is chilly right now, the Pokémon could represent trying to keep at a safe temperature. It could also represent those who don't mind the cold and those who need to keep warm.

A 'Welcome to Hoenn' hunt for getting shinies within the hoenn dex could be a nice idea, though I like LilyValley's idea.

If the Community Hunt hasn't been decided on yet I'd like to suggest a slightly less broad hunt for this month as the last few have all been quite large scale. I agree with AquaRegisteel that we should probably have something to celebrate the release of the new games and I think that hunting any of the Pokemon that have gained a Mega-Evolution / Primal Reversion in ORAS would be an interesting Community hunt. The full list for this would be:

Weedle line
Pidgey line
Slowpoke line (not including Slowking)
Onix line
Treecko line
Mudkip line
Ralts line (not including Gardevoir)
Sableye
Carvanha line
Numel line
Swablue line
Snorunt line (not including Froslass)
Bagon line
Beldum line
Latias
Latios
Groudon
Kyogre
Rayquaza
Buneary line
Audino

I left the Torchic line out of this even though it's Mega was only released by event in X / Y, although if people to decide to choose this for the CH and want to include Torchic then that would be fine.

and my decision is to pick the third option - Razorbadger's suggestion of ORAS Megas hunt.
The two other ideas are also great, however, LilyValley's suggestion has been done before (although only the "cold" one), while AquaRegisteel's suggestion is a bit too broad, we already have a broad hunt last month.

So yeah, this December's CH is OR/AS Megas hunt.

Anyone who already got an eligible shiny prior to this post will be included in the completion list, so don't worry about missing the CH.

Eclair~

ES member Eclair
207 SR later for the Shiny Zekrom I lost which equals a total of 550 SR in all and still nothing. -_-

(unless they've raised its catch rate? I think there's been two posts here about Zekrom stuggling to death?)
I don't know about the catch rate but yes, that would sadly be me who lost a shiny Zekrom due to [strike]dang[/strike] blasted struggle. -_- 207 SR later which equals a total of 550 SR in all and still nothing. :p

Anyways, earlier today I chose to take a break and went to visit my secret base in the desert, and while there I realized I had yet to catch a Cacnea to fill out my pokedex, so I decided to try to find one. In three encounters I had not a Cacnea, but instead a shiny Sandile. Three encounters.... After four days of SRing for Latios.....

I can just imagine the game laughing at me, shouting "HAH! You fool! You should have been soft resetting right now! Now you have this's little jerk!"

Oh we'll, like I said, a shiny is a shiny, even if it's not the one you want
It would seriously help if you got the shiny charm before attempting o go for shinies. That said, I seriously know how you feel. See, in my Y game, I was trying to hatch a shiny Froakie, I think when I left it I was 1 away from getting to 1000 or 2000 eggs hatched and keep in mind, I have the shiny charm for this and had, had many successful shiny egg hatches. (Some successful but not successful in it wasn't the right gender *cough*Ralts&Gastly*cough*) EDIT: It was actually 1395 MM Froakie eggs, so 5 away. (give or take 5-20)

Anyway, I decided to take a break to go EV train some mons I'd just IV bred and planned to raise for competitive battling, while sweet scenting for Vanilite, a horde of Cubchoo appeared and I nearly missed it but 1 of them shone. I was SOOO MAD because I had none stop for days only spent time breeding and hatching those danged Froakie eggs when and then the game spites me like that. I was so mad in fact, that I actually lost the ability to care and purposely turned my game off. I later came to my scenes and boy did I regret not catching it. :(

To this day, I still don't have a shiny Froakie and still regret not catching that shiny cubchoo but yes, what you just said there about how the game must've been laughing at you and saying you should've kept doing what you were doing, was exactly how I feel regarding this. Just be glad you bothered to catch your shiny instead of turning the game off as I was only able to take away 2 things from this. 1. catch a shiny, no matter what and 2. even if you saved right before the shiny, if you encounter one, then turn your game off, you won't be seeing that shiny again so soon...

Last edited:

V

Shiny Hunter
Have I ever told you guys the story of why I absolutely hate Drowzee forever? No? Oh splendid, here I go!

Well, one day, my Drowzee named Sleepy and I were out battling loads and loads of Tentacool and cruel for some levels. One after the other, we defeat them, Sleepy not doing a very good job despite the type and level advantage. After what seemed like ages, I decided that one more battle should do the trick, and what do I see before me but a little purple and green Tentacool! Bolting up, I sent Sleepy in for battle, figuring all would be well since he'd been so weak all day. I used the weakest move he had- not even psychic- and Sleepy chose that particular moment to pull out his first Critical Hit. And OHKOed my shiny Tentacool. I calmly surfed to shore. I gingerly walked to the Pokemon Center. I quietly turned on the PC. I deposited Sleepy into it, and he has never been out since. I then proceeded to cry bitter, bitter tears of lost-shinyness. I have yet to this day found another shiny Tentacool to fill the jellyfish-shaped hole in my soul. I WILL reclaim it one day! I will also never use a Drowzee again.

I'm also sort of irked because I'm in a Pokemon Club, but my fellow members mostly tease me for shiny hunting any way other than Masuda. It honestly all comes down to me not being interested in competitive battling AT ALL. It just doesn't appeal to me, not unlike the way resetting the DS countless times for a likely not-even-that-good shiny doesn't appeal to them.. I don't play the games for a contest. It isn't about who is the best trainer to me. In my eyes, being a good trainer is caring for your Pokemon, even if they're just pixels. They're my friends, as sad and lame as that might sound. Also because I like the story lines. It is always way more special to me when I stumble on or work hard to find a shiny, and while Measuda Methoding would be hard work too, simply molding a perfect Pokemon and then mass producing it until it sparkles just isn't as special to me as playing through the game with my starter or main teammates being shiny. I've always liked rare things, so shinies are neat to me. Not understanding my interest is one thing, but picking on me because you don't understand or it isn't the same as your interest is another.

On a happier note (and much less *****y-female doggy- one), when I finally get this Treecko I'm going to have officially started my first BQ! However, I was wondering if my Mystery Gift Beldum counted towards my BQ if I just do not retrieve it until after the first gym? Or does he not count? Also, I'm very new to any sort of self-imposed challenge, and I wondered if there was a set if BQ rules I should read, like Nuzlocke has, or if it is just sort of made up as I go?

Anyway, thanks for listening to my still-fresh-even-though-it-is-more-than-a-year-old hate for Drowzee! And for bearing with my lament that my club members do not understand me. I'm glad you guys do. Also, congratulations to all of you lucky folks! <3 ;006;

UPDATE: I've decided to be more productive, so I'm taking a half hour tops break from Treecko to trade myself my Pokemon from HG to SS so I can SR for more shiny starters on it since those games are pretty much the easiest to get a shiny starter on.

Last edited:

Illusione-Tempus

I just found out that the Hoenn Legendaries are SR'able, and I already caught 6 of them...

Oh well, I guess I'll grab another copy of both ORAS for shiny hunting.

But I think I'll SR for Deoxys. Now to rebattle the league.

Also, it's been a while~

Cheeze IOW

Finally found the shiny Aron I've been looking for! Not a great nature but I don't really play competitively so it doesn't matter too much, just glad I can carry on with the game now, until my next hunt of course.

Sparky Mc-S

Let the sparks fly~
This seems like a silly question but I want to double check before I waste unnecessary hours SR'ing.
Has anyone seen, heard or completed a successful SR for a shiny story line Lati@s?
Wanna make sure they can be shiny before spending many hours SR'ing.

ohjeezitskim

This seems like a silly question but I want to double check before I waste unnecessary hours SR'ing.
Has anyone seen, heard or completed a successful SR for a shiny story line Lati@s?
Wanna make sure they can be shiny before spending many hours SR'ing.

Yes people on the forums here have found them shiny and posted pictures. All legends can be shiny besides Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, and Deoxys in ORAS.

Surpassed 1k for Lugia and found out my hard drive failed and that's why my computer is freezing up. So I'm typing on my kindle and will be a little in active because typing on touch screens suck. =v
Which gives me a lot of time to hunt Lugia though ;p

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
However, I was wondering if my Mystery Gift Beldum counted towards my BQ if I just do not retrieve it until after the first gym? Or does he not count? Also, I'm very new to any sort of self-imposed challenge, and I wondered if there was a set if BQ rules I should read, like Nuzlocke has, or if it is just sort of made up as I go?

There aren't really any strict rules when it comes to BQs. Just hunt a shiny before each badge is all tbh. Although, some people do hunt a shiny before and after the elite 4 but that's optional. As for the shiny Beldum, I personally wouldn't count it since its just given to you, but it's entirely up to you. Good luck on Treecko!

----------

~5148 SRs and this Grinch looking thing floating on a cloud still refuses to shine >.< I'm getting my wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow so I doubt I'll be in the mood to hunt then. Oh well, I'll get it eventually.

Gratz on the recent shinies and good luck everyone!