• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Artikia

Hi everyone!

Congrats on all of those shinies! I haven't posted since October 22nd, but I haven't missed a single post ever since. Somehow I really enjoy reading about your shiny adventures! Sadly I didnt have much time to hunt.. Well, I didnt make much time. I bought quite a lot of new games for my Xbox One and Im attending the Erasmus University of Rotterdam since September(anyone else??) so my pokemon games had to wait.

I do have some shiny news though!

I have been looking around in a friend safari with Riolu, Machoke and Pancham. Mostly while playing FIFA with my friend on saturday evening, and I was about 1100 encounters in when I finally saw my main target shine! A shiny Machoke! I named him Arnold. I like to give my shinies nicknames which are basically real names, but they need to have some sort of reference/link. This one's pretty easy, as the Machoke line is pretty much a bodybuilding line, and Arnold Schwarzenegger is one of the biggest legends!

The shiny Magikarp I caught before was named Red(10/10 for originality), because, although not a real name, it suits shiny Gyarados so well and he's kinda named after pokemon trainer Red. My Barboach was named Sky. Simply because Whiscash has this deep blue colour over her, as blue as the sky. Then finally, the 2 Skrelps I caught were named Shelly and Belly(female and male). I wanted really similar names for them, but not names that I really like, because I dont like Skrelp that much. I was hunting for a horsea when I caught them =/

I was looking for a Kabuto on the GTS(honestly have no idea why) and I saw a shiny Kabuto! To make it even better, he/she only wanted a Camerupt! So I do now own a german shiny Kabuto.
Next to that, I received my shiny Beldum aswell, which is now a Metagross. I was pretty sad when I found out I couldnt nickname it..

Last but not least! Im currently building a hunting team to catch shinies/regular pokemon. I only use pokemon I like, which is pretty hard. It'd have been easier if I liked Smeargle and Parasect =/ I chose Sharpedo as my water HM pokemon, so I decided to chain fish for one! Within 30 minutes(I just love chain fishing, haha) I caught myself a female shiny Carvanha! She was named Thea. Now this is a somewhat weird reference. I wanted Sharpedo because they're so quick in the water. So I came up with Speedy. But as I said before, I prefer real names as nicknames. I absolutely love the show ''Arrow'', and in that show the main character(Oliver) sometimes calls his sister Speedy. Which is a nickname for her, her normal name is Thea! So that's my thinking ''route''.

Now I just want a shiny Oddish and my hunting team is pretty much complete pokemon wise, then I just have to train them. If anyone's interested here's my team:

Rosie the Absol, ability Super Luck, moves False Swipe, Play Rough, Psycho Cut, Night Slash. She had one potential when I found her, but I got somewhat lucky: 18/26/28/28/31/22. I love the combo Super Luck and Psycho Cut/Night Slash! Feels like 90% is a crit.
Pilot the Yanma, ability Compound Eyes, moves Thief, Air Slash, Bug Buzz, Shadow Ball. He's pretty much only there to help me get moon stones etc..
Thea the Sharpedo ofcourse!
Sticky the Malamar with Suction Cups, just there for the Chain Fishing.

If any of you cringe at the thought of having to hunt with this, tips are always welcome! I know about the ghost type, teleporters, roarers, but I already love Rosie, so I didnt want to breed a new Absol with Mean Look.. I still need a flying type though, dont want to spend half of my time on the back of Latios..

Hopefully my next post comes much quicker! In a little over a week I'll finally have some time away from responsibilities, and next to that, Im getting Alpha Sapphire for christmas! I already completed Omega Ruby, so I'm probably going to do a BQ on AS.

Mestear

Shiny Hunter
Hope that somebody would notice my post with question's this time )
- - -
Hi to everyone. So... I have already completed my leaf green, and now I've started new hunt for a shiny aerodactyl! Today I soft reseted for it 200 times, not to much but I've got to say that aerodactyl is much easier to soft reset then starters XD
And I have some question to all shiny hunters, I was wondered about the best number of soft resets per day, so what do you think guys? How many of them can you handle?
Another thing that still interests me, imagine a crazy guy who soft resets non-stop all the day, is that gonna bring him shiny 100%? (dont want to try it, just thinking about the possibilities).

Mewtwo Ex

Meddling your D.N.A
And I have some question to all shiny hunters, I was wondered about the best number of soft resets per day, so what do you think guys? How many of them can you handle?
Another thing that still interests me, imagine a crazy guy who soft resets non-stop all the day, is that gonna bring him shiny 100%? (dont want to try it, just thinking about the possibilities).

I do hours. For tornadus i did 7 days with 14/16 hours each day. Then i decided to complete my dex for the shiny charm so i have better odds. Now i am back to it. 2 hours now since i restarted.

Artikia

- - -
Hi to everyone. So... I have already completed my leaf green, and now I've started new hunt for a shiny aerodactyl! Today I soft reseted for it 200 times, not to much but I've got to say that aerodactyl is much easier to soft reset then starters XD

Im not that determined, I do soft-resetting while playing/doing something else. I guess I do like 50/hour, up to 6 hours a day or so, at most. But that's only in the weekend, on normal week days I'd do much less.
To your other question: lets say he was focused the whole 24 hours, and he did an average of 2 SRs per minute/120 per hour, that would make it 24*120=2880 SR's each day. Without the shiny charm you would only be at 70% of the 1/4096 odds. With the shiny charm, you'd be at about 200% of the 1/1365 odds. I didnt really do alot for school when we had these chance calculations, but I can tell you that the chance without the shiny charm would be decent, I'd say about 60-70% that you'd get a shiny. With the shiny charm, your chance would be much better. While not 100%, your chance would probably be somewhere in the region of 95%-99%. But these odds are really hard to calculate with, as the odds dont increase everytime you encounter a pokemon. At your first encounter its 1/4096, at your 1000th encounter its 1/4096, at your millionth encounter its 1/4096 and so on. Therefore you can only assume how big of a chance you have. I do like questions like this, but they mess with my brains.

Mestear

Shiny Hunter
Im not that determined, I do soft-resetting while playing/doing something else. I guess I do like 50/hour, up to 6 hours a day or so, at most. But that's only in the weekend, on normal week days I'd do much less.
To your other question: lets say he was focused the whole 24 hours, and he did an average of 2 SRs per minute/120 per hour, that would make it 24*120=2880 SR's each day. Without the shiny charm you would only be at 70% of the 1/4096 odds. With the shiny charm, you'd be at about 200% of the 1/1365 odds. I didnt really do alot for school when we had these chance calculations, but I can tell you that the chance without the shiny charm would be decent, I'd say about 60-70% that you'd get a shiny. With the shiny charm, your chance would be much better. While not 100%, your chance would probably be somewhere in the region of 95%-99%. But these odds are really hard to calculate with, as the odds dont increase everytime you encounter a pokemon. At your first encounter its 1/4096, at your 1000th encounter its 1/4096, at your millionth+ encounter its 1/4096 and so on. Therefore you can only assume how big of a chance you have. I do like questions like this, but they mess with my brains.
Yeah Im interested in those questions as well. Before my shiny hunting I was using RNG, but than I realized, that this method is the easiest way to get what you want, thus it's not even close to be challenging. And one day I just deleted all rnged shinies. But, thanks to rng I understood shiny mechanics much more better. Although, there's a lot of questions to be answered.
Btw I caught my shiny Zapdos pretty fast doing like 700 SR per day, it was usefull strategy for me.

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
Hey everyone! Back again with no shiny Treecko! I had plenty of time last night to SR due to my power being out (stupid old house) but then i ran out of battery on the 3ds I am using for my BQ. I then switched to my other 3ds and it went dead too. My lights should be back on today since my electrician is at my house now so I can charge my 3ds's again so I can get back to my Treecko hunt!

I had planned to make Whismur my second BQ shiny but I ended up getting one when I was EV training last weekend. I will be SRING the lake trio, Heatran, and the rest of the legends I don't already have shiny once i complete my OR BQ so I can dual SR seeing as i have already completed my AS game.

Anyways... Congrats to everyone who is getting quick shinies and to those still staring at professor Birch like I am, I hope you get yours soon!

Quils

Strange Creature
To your other question: lets say he was focused the whole 24 hours, and he did an average of 2 SRs per minute/120 per hour, that would make it 24*120=2880 SR's each day. Without the shiny charm you would only be at 70% of the 1/4096 odds. With the shiny charm, you'd be at about 200% of the 1/1365 odds. I didnt really do alot for school when we had these chance calculations, but I can tell you that the chance without the shiny charm would be decent, I'd say about 60-70% that you'd get a shiny. With the shiny charm, your chance would be much better. While not 100%, your chance would probably be somewhere in the region of 95%-99%. But these odds are really hard to calculate with, as the odds dont increase everytime you encounter a pokemon. At your first encounter its 1/4096, at your 1000th encounter its 1/4096, at your millionth encounter its 1/4096 and so on. Therefore you can only assume how big of a chance you have. I do like questions like this, but they mess with my brains.

You can instead look at the odds of not finding a shiny (4095/4096). For the chance of a certain event happening X consecutive times I think the chance would be P^X where P is the chance of that event.
For seeing 2880 Pokémon without any of them being shiny the chances are (4095/4096)^2880 and from that you can calculate the chance of actually seeing a shiny which would be about... 50,5% chances of seeing at least 1 shiny.
With shiny charm that would be a 87.88% chance of seeing the shiny, so your estimated values were pretty close.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

-------------------------------------

As for me... not much shiny news. I did about 2000 SRs for Reshiram but that hunt is on hiatus right now.
I caught 3 shiny Feebas with Chain Fishing and evolved the last one into a shiny Milotic.
And... that's it. I kind of want to hunt again, but I keep getting distracted with Contests and Secret Bases.

Congrats on your recent shinies, and good luck to everyone hunting, specially those with long hunts, and those who have failed to catch a shiny.
Also, good luck in your life in general, I hope everything gets better for those who are having a hard time in real life.
c:

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
I'm still hype off dat shiny Tornadus finally appearing so I'm just gonna begin my Omega Ruby BQ today. I was gonna take a break, but nah :] I've already safely deposited Tornadus in Pokemon Bank and restarted my file. I'll be SRing for Torchic in this BQ; I originally planned to SR for Mudkip but I've already used it for my first playthrough for OR and I already have shiny Sceptile, so I just decided on Torchic to keep things interesting. Hopefully this hunt is nicer to me than Tornadus! Oh, and I'll also be resuming my Ralts MM hunt, which is on phase 4 I believe.

Andd, speaking of Tornadus, he ended up having max IVs in Atk, SpA and Spe! Which is just perfect; I also named him Windfall, thanks for the name suggestion, AquaRegisteel. :]

Good luck everyone.

Yoitsdaffy

Shiny Collector~
Did roughly 200 more SRs for Torchic yesterday before bed. So now im sitting at 1050 SRs total. I plan on doing about 500 more later. Grats on those who obtained shinies recently and good luck to everyone especially those working on starters!

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
I just passed 1,500 SR's for Reshiram. I miss the shiny charm.
I hope to get a shiny one soon. I am also using a Modest synchronizer. I hope that works also.

Congratulations to all of the recent shinies!
And good luck to everyone else still hunting!

Typhlosion_Hunter_Mark

Galaxy Trainer
I don't have any real shiny news, apart from receiving the event Shiny Beldum ;)
But I wanted to thank the ones who congratulated me on finding shiny Treecko. So thanks DeliriousAbsol, TripleDan, Yoitsdaffy, doodlecloud, KittyKitty3308, Supremacy! Also good luck to you KittyKitty3308, your Treecko will shine sometime as well!

Also congratulations on all new shinies and good luck to everyone hunting!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I randomly found and caught a Shiny Gloom at my Friend Safari in Y version last night. Also this morning, I did 80 more SRs for my Shiny Rayquaza hunt on Ruby. I also hatched 30 or so more Magby eggs for my Masuda Method hunt as well. Congratulations to others on their new Shinies and good luck to others on their hunts too.

*Murkrow

Bird trainer
Since I last posted I've done seven hours SR'ing for Raikou, before realising I'd merged the shiny/regular colours in my head (remembered the golden cloud but thought the fur stayed bright yellow). Then I decided to switch to Tornadus and did about 11.5 hours SR'ing for that. Got bored again, spent most of my money on Luxury Balls* and went and saved in front of Reshiram. I lasted less than an hour for that, briefly went and saved in front of Virizion but then left to go register some secret bases.

By my estimate I'm around the 1500 mark combining the different targets. Not that far over the Shiny Charm odds but I'm still feeling grumpy. I've lost a lot of interest in the targets I had in mind. :-/ Even Suicune, who is a shiny I've always loved and wanted to reclaim. Meh.

I caught a shiny Taillow via Dex Nav very early Friday morning. I'd beaten 46 of the little buggers so I was pulling in some nice eggs moves/HA/IV's, and the shiny has two perfect IV's (haven't checked which ones) and Scrappy, with Mirror Move. This made me consider going for the rest of the bird shinies, but Tornadus is dull to SR for and you can't get the Kanto trio shiny in Gen 6 so meh.

Congrats on new shinies.

*Wish I'd checked Serebii before I'd done this. Wouldn't have wasted my money if I'd known they'd messed with Reshiram's catch rate.

Keovix

Congrats to Paraqua on Feebas, Typhlosion_Hunter_Mark on Treecko, Delirious Absol on Cottonee and Zorua, maldoror on Numel and Magnemite, doodlecloud on Ralts, Sunset Star on Tentacruel, Twilit Dragoon on Zigzagoon, Supremacy on Tornadus, Giblie on Snivy, Sparky Mc-S on Nidorino, Golduck, Jumpluff, Boldore, Mr. Mime and Bellsprout, Jeppo on Spoink, Artikia on Machoke, Magikarp, Kabuto, Metagross, Carvanha, Quils on Feebas, Lorde on Gloom and everyone else on your shinies! :)

Thanks for the congrats!

After 553 RE's I found Pikachu in X FS, Pikachu has Impish nature, now I'm hunting Tranquill on a Flying FS.

My Steelix hunt for the CH still keeps going in SS, I already reached 4246 RE's.

Finally the Suicune hunt in AS has reached 182 SR's.

Good luck to everyone on your current hunts! :)

Artikia

You can instead look at the odds of not finding a shiny (4095/4096). For the chance of a certain event happening X consecutive times I think the chance would be P^X where P is the chance of that event.
For seeing 2880 Pokémon without any of them being shiny the chances are (4095/4096)^2880 and from that you can calculate the chance of actually seeing a shiny which would be about... 50,5% chances of seeing at least 1 shiny.
With shiny charm that would be a 87.88% chance of seeing the shiny, so your estimated values were pretty close.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're right! I tried some things and it was all corresponding with assumptions I had. Besides that, I'm starting to remember some things from math class.
I found some interesting numbers though. One in particular. Let's say you do 4096 SRs. With the odds of 1/4096, your chance of encountering a shiny would be 63,5%. Which is pretty damn low. The funny thing is, everytime you start SRing, you expect to need 4096 SRs to find the shiny. You are assuming, the chance is 100% at 4096 encounters. Both these numbers are correct. Let's say you do 409600 SRs. The chance of getting exactly 100 shinies in that amount is really high, much higher than 63,5%. But I can not yet think of a way to calculate that chance. Do you have an idea for this? I'll look around in the morning myself, as it's 11pm here and I need my sleep haha.

LilyValley

Useless Sceptile
The search for Reshiram is going longer than I expected, and I am losing a little bit of concentration for it. I keep resetting while just barely looking. It has been about 5 days now.

K4KING

Simple Breeder
Hi I'm new here.
Congrats to anyone who are soft resetting and getting their legendaries/pokemon via dexnav/fishing etc. I just got started in Soft resetting and was wondering a few things. It might sound daft or a no-brainer but please can someone confirm it for me?

Do patch 1.2 apply a shiny lock? I've noticed a pattern in my game(at least) my first shiny was a zekrom, then a registeel and regice. I got a shiny cresselia by V1.1. I'm now doing with regirock and he hasn't been shiny for 5 days(of soft resetting) And I have the shiny charm to boot. And I'm losing hope.

icewolf741

Lucario Trainer
So, er. I'm new to this thread but (i don't really post a lot in general because college gets in the way sigh). I like shiny hunting so.
In the last week I've horde hunted and achieved 3 Zigzagoons! I'm basically hunting for a male so I can name it Rocket but...they've all been female... >.<
Also in the past weekend I've soft reset for a Latias and Ho-Oh. Latias unfortunately was Brave (like the literal opposite of what I wanted. and yeah I used a timid synchronizer). I named her Creamsicle. Ho-Oh is adamant and I couldn't think of a name yet...
Also I don't think the patch shiny-locked anything, since I got at least Ho-oh with the update.
Also I was wondering, does trainer ID value matter in ORAS? because well my OR trainer ID is 44400. Mostly I ask because I want to SR for a Latios in Sapphire (with the eon ticket) and I don't know if it matters. I really can't find any good info on it for this gen...

Blastonite

Dream Crusher
Hi I'm new here.
Congrats to anyone who are soft resetting and getting their legendaries/pokemon via dexnav/fishing etc. I just got started in Soft resetting and was wondering a few things. It might sound daft or a no-brainer but please can someone confirm it for me?

Do patch 1.2 apply a shiny lock? I've noticed a pattern in my game(at least) my first shiny was a zekrom, then a registeel and regice. I got a shiny cresselia by V1.1. I'm now doing with regirock and he hasn't been shiny for 5 days(of soft resetting) And I have the shiny charm to boot. And I'm losing hope.

Random is random no matter how you look at it. I'v SRed Shiny Raikou and Shiny Latios. Bred Shiny Mudkip and 3 Shiny Surskits. So just keep at it :)

And that is why I am back guys! Got my 5IV Surskit with -Att :D all 3 happened to be Female though! What are the odds on that! Lol

http://instagram.com/p/wcyiDrr6ss/?modal=true

Congrats to all who have seen then shine and to those still searching I hope you see the shine soon :D