• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Long time no chat on here, blanket congrats to all who have recently obtained shinys! I Can't wait to get Omega Ruby on Christmas day, first hunt will be Treecko!

Just a few questions I wonder someone can help with:

When choosing your starter, does it display shiny in the selection screen?
Has the standard shiny odds changed at all this time round or are we still at 1/8192?
Shiny charm - still obtained from capturing all the pokedex?
Do we still have fishing chaining?
Any other new methods introduced in the new games?

Sorry for all the questions! Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Hey there, Marvs! It's been a while! Here, I answered for you:

- Unfortunately, it doesn't display the shiny on the selection screen. You have to choose it and send it to battle.
- It appears the odds are the same as XY's: 1/4096.
- Yes, you can get the Shiny Charm by completing the Pokédex.
- Fish Chaining retuns as a method.
- I don't think there are any new methods introduced in the games, but there is a slight change. The PokéRadar from XY doesn't come back; however, you can still "chain" Pokémon with the DexNav. It's easier to get a chain going, but in most cases, you'll need a high number of encountered Pokémon to get a shiny.

I hope this helps!

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
Hey all! Congrats on everyone's shinies from yesterday and today! I'm excited to see people getting their starters too! I just chained a carvahna in my AS so I can get a shiny mega sharpedo! She is a Lonely nature (+Atk, -Def) and i nicknamed her Crunch. Sooo....

COMMUNITY HUNT COMPLETE!

Now that I got that out of my system, I am going to try to get a shiny Skitty for my 2nd BQ shiny. I am loving my shiny Grovyle right now. :3

Good luck everyone! It is such a relief to not being looking at Birch and a bag anymore!

Last edited:

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
Shiny Treecko continues to hide from me in AS. I'm now at 3340 soft resets for it.

But I'm hunting as I type, and I plan on doing more while watching the Spurs match this afternoon.

Good luck, and congrats on all the new shinies.

leehodge95

Hi everyone. I'm completely new to shiny hunting. I just started playing my alpha sapphire and have been hunting for a shiny Treecko for about 3 days now. About 15 hours of SR, but I don't know the exact number. Are there any words of encouragement? Because I honestly feel like giving up, but I REALLY want to start of the game with a shiny Treecko.

leehodge95

Hi everyone. I'm completely new to shiny hunting. I just started playing my alpha sapphire and have been hunting for a shiny Treecko for about 3 days now. About 15 hours of SR, but I don't know the exact number. Are there any words of encouragement? Because I honestly feel like giving up, but I REALLY want to start of the game with a shiny Treecko.

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
Yes! After 6 failed attempts and 57 Skitty later, I completed my first ever successful chain using the dexnav! I saw so many amazing Skitty while trying (Sucker Punch Skitty had me LOL'ing for a good 5 minutes) but I ended up with a regular Hasty (+Spd, -Def) lvl 19 Cute Charm male with no egg moves or perfect IVs. Oh well. I'm just happy I was successful! Now on to Brawly and to figure out what I want to look for next in my BQ! :)

Blastonite

Dream Crusher
Considering the gender ratio for fossil pokemon, what are the odds of me hatching five 6IV female lileep, all of them with their HA, and only one 6IV male? There are four 6IV females in my trade box, the one I'm breeding in the daycare, and only one male in my 6IV males box. Usually I get far more males than females, especially with this gender ratio.

240 lileeps hatched. Now breeding purely for the color.

Virizion is up to 18,600 SRs and stubbornly staying green. The hunt is continuing.

In the dark safari, I'm at 4,000 encounters for shiny mightyena.

It was the Opposite for me. I ended up saying F it and bred with my 5er and ended up hatching my 1 and only Female 6IV HA Lileep and it was shiny xD Hopefully you get my same luck!

Anyway finally got my 6IV Female Shroomish. Took longer than usual. Now I am off to start hatching eggs in bulks of 125. Wish me luck :D

Congrats to all who have seen the Shine and to those still searching I hope you see the Shine soon :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shiny News!!!!! I hatched me up a 5IV Shiny Shroomish :D it has Effect Spore and not Toxic Boost so I shall keep on breeding for 5-6IV Toxic Boost one

http://instagram.com/p/wmusPer6kw/?modal=true

Last edited:

Scrufox86

Hi all. No shiny news yet for me however I am trying to SR for shiny Reshiram. I have the shiny charm. I have done 6 hours worth of SRing (non-consecutive of course) but no shiny yet. I just wanted to ask if I had to complete the delta episode before shiny hunting for legendaries? As I have spent so long I was wondering if there was some sort of temporary shiny lock that would be gone once the delta episode is finished? Just a thought. I most likely am unlucky lol. Well congrats to all new shinies since my last post and good luck shiny hunters!

Cheeze IOW

So I just caught a shiny Corphish while chain fishing and when I went to level him up to evolve, he got boosted xp and I don't have any idea why, does anyone know?

Cheeze IOW

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
Is it holding a lucky egg?

Shiny Lord

So last night I was wondering trading and got a japaneese wurmple. Decided to mm for a shiny one. And after only 168 eggs I hatched one. It just evolved into cascoon. I didn't have either of wurmples evolutions shinies so I was particularly concerned about what it evolved into. Shiny Dustocks looks cool. Half way through my badge quest now.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
So I just caught a shiny Corphish while chain fishing and when I went to level him up to evolve, he got boosted xp and I don't have any idea why, does anyone know?

Since you probably got it with a Super Rod it will be level 30-35, which is why it got boosted EXP. As of XY any Pokemon that evolves by level will get boosted EXP if they're above the level they normally evolve, level 30 in this case for Corphish.

Cheeze IOW

Since you probably got it with a Super Rod it will be level 30-35, which is why it got boosted EXP. As of XY any Pokemon that evolves by level will get boosted EXP if they're above the level they normally evolve, level 30 in this case for Corphish.

Didn't know that, thanks.

Hi everyone! I haven't posted here in a long time so I have to give blanket congrats -- sorry! :(

So, ORAS! I snagged myself OR when it came out last month, and I've been playing it a lot! This time, my best friend and I buckled down and finally completed our Pokedexes -- so we got the Shiny Charm on our games! But I saw a Shiny before even getting that. I got a Shiny Drowzee while I was hatching Pokemon to fill out my dex. She's pretty much useless but at least she looks nice! Shiny Drowzee has some great shades of pink on it.

Right now I've been working on a couple of teams so I haven't had much time to really hunt Shinies. But, while I was breeding for IVs, I got a shiny Growlithe! He's perfect in every stat but Sp. Def, so pretty awesome! He's definitely usable and is going on my Mono-Fire team, and possibly another team as well! But unfortunately I think for my super-serious UU team he'll be outshined (haha) by his sister who has perfect IVs in all but Sp. Atk.

When I'm not working my teams though, I'm generally SRing for Reshiram (yes!). She's being pretty stubborn though. Hopefully she'll shine pretty soon!

Yesterday was my birthday but I sadly didn't get a birthday Shiny -- even though I hatched lots of Pokemon for my team! :p Oh well.

Once again, blanket congrats to everyone who has gotten a Shiny since I've last posted here and good luck on your hunts! I think after Reshiram I might SR for Cresselia... if I can even find her island.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I worked some more on my Shiny Reshiram SR hunt today; I did 60 more soft rests, which coupled by my 45 soft resets for my Shiny Rayquaza hunt this morning, was particularly tedious. I also hatched another batch of Magby eggs for my Masuda Method hunt last night and I'll resume that hunt later tonight.

ohjeezitskim

...SO
IT HAPPENED.

Lugia finally shone for me after 2,078 SRs AND ON CAMERA

(will be uploading to YouTube tomorrow! as I need to download the program first ;-; )
edit here is the live video on youtube!

It was the SR RIGHT after I changed my brightness setting from 3 to 4 since it looked better one
camera and my pink winged friend showed up <3
This is my first successful legendary SR
Second successful SR in general (1st being SS Totodile)

My Calm (+SpD -Att) sync worked <3 and the IVs are nearly the best perfect 3 for calm!
11/27/31/31/31/15
Super excited he showed up today!
But also not so exicted because the live reaction was meh/me talking through the video was meh
because my boyfriend was in the room and I don't like recording in front of people lol
[IMG139]http://i.imgur.com/On2ms8y.jpg[/IMG139]

[IMG139]http://i.imgur.com/Up2Wzhs.png[/IMG139]

Last edited: