• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

My chain of sewaddle broke so I'll do zoura

And also I NEED THE EON TICKET:(

How long will this hunt for dexnav shiny zoura normally take?

Dag nab it chain of zoura broke

Somebody MUST give me an idea for my next pokemon to chain:D

Friend Code 2509-1074-9118 Friend Safari Butterfree Masquerain Vivillon

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Congratulations to searing light dragon on Absol, Sito on Latios and Kyurem, unicornhiccup on Lugia, Lotad, Plusle and Zigzagoon, Shiny Lord on Froakie and Ralts, Cheeze IOW on Ponyta, oarfish on Shuppet, kirkeastment on Zorua, Shroomish, Shuppet and Magnemite, KzBreakdown on Latios, Razorbadger on Tentacool, Blastonite on the multiple Shroomish, Earth Wolf-Howl on Slowpoke, Ryuken on Reshiram and Suicune, Cyberra on Sandile, pokemaster13 on Spinarak, Scrufox on Magikarp and Tentacool, Twilit Dragoon on Latias, Psynergy on Reshiram and Palkia (your luck with legendaries is outstanding!), *Murkrow on Kyurem, Zachmac on Feebas, umbreonfan3636 on Zubat, Zero1999 on Skarmory, Yoitsdaffy on Glameow and Zorua, Supremacy on that male Ralts, RadiantSylveon on Honedge, Swatski9 on Remoraid, KittyKitty3308 on Vullaby, Numel, Whismur and Spinda, Diego 24 on Minccino, Keane on Budew, Tavoc on Foongus and Jigglypuff, shinny on Reshiram and Ho-Oh, rolf: a weird scientist on Eevee, Mewtwo Ex on Zekrom and Shine on Latias.

... oh my god I just remembered why I wasn't doing this anymore...

About 75 hours deep into my Cresselia hunt... This is taking more time than I expected, to be honest! Hoping I can get her before Christmas. That would be neat!
With that amount of hours, I can say I did around 6000 soft resets, if not a little more. That's actually a lot! I didn't expect to have done this amount, but wow! That hunt is really moving forward!
I'll be watching a few movies today. Hopefully the long hours of pure soft resetting will give me something!

On other hunts; I managed to collect 5 boxes of Buneary eggs in my Diamond version and hatched 25, so far. I mostly do that when I am not in the mood to hunt Cresselia, which isn't the case right now. If these 5 boxes do not provide me with a shiny, I think I'll fill 10 boxes next time (it was my original goal when I started the hunt but I didn't feel like it). It's a little bit difficult to properly MM in Diamond, without the touch screen to drag the eggs. Doing it manually is so long... Keane, I recall you MM a Igglybuff in Diamond, Pearl or Platinum. Have any tips for me ?

I also managed to snag myself a nice Jolly natured Synchronize Natu out of luck, which shall be perfectly suited for my upcoming Ho-Oh hunt in HeartGold. Saved in front of the beautiful bird yesterday. Since I restarted my game before ORAS, I still have myself a Master Ball. Plus, I think the purple of the Master Ball blends so well with the bright gold of Ho-Oh. I will be ready to hunt it after Cresselia and Buneary are done.

Good luck to everyone! :D

Last edited:

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats to everyone on their recent shinies!

Now that I'm done with school for a couple of weeks, I should be able to hunt and post here a lot more often. I've made a lot of progress in the last few days. I resumed my Eevee hunt in SoulSilver after almost a month, and I've now passed the odds at 8400 SRs. In terms of number of encounters, this is my third-longest hunt ever, so obviously I'm hoping it shines before I pass the all-time record of 10,875 encounters. (I believe it's the longest hunt I've ever had in terms of hours, though - I did a rough calculation and it came out to around 100 hours that I've been hunting for this thing!) I've also done a ton of MM'ing Sigilyph the past two days, and that's now become my second-longest MM hunt ever at 750 eggs. I think my Shiny Charm broke because it's the 7th consecutive MM hunt that's gone over 450 eggs (which isn't too terrible, but I had 5 hunts before that that were all under 150 eggs, so I got a little spoiled xD).

Finally, my Reshiram hunt is up to 1600 SRs. I've been doing some test runs and have been able to catch it in a Premier Ball or Luxury Ball every time - including last night, when I tested out my Heal Pulse strategy for when Reshiram starts struggling. It was a little more tense than I'd hoped (I had to heal Reshiram every other turn along with healing my Latios' HP and PP at regular intervals), but I did manage to catch it after about 10 Premier Balls. Hopefully I won't actually have to resort to doing that when the real thing pops up (and if I do, I'll probably end up using my Master Ball anyway because I don't want to take too much of a risk xD).

Anyway, I'm really hoping I can complete at least one of my hunts over break, especially because I haven't gotten a shiny in over two months now! Just gotta keep plugging along I guess. Good luck to all of you on your hunts!

tui

moon upon a stick
Congrats to: Tavoc on Pancham, kirkeastment on Shuppet and Magnemite, shinny on Reshiram and Ho-oh, rolf: a weird scientist on Eevee, Mewtwo ex on Zekrom, KittyKitty3308 on Spinda, Yoitsdaffy on Zorua, Shiny Lord on Ralts, Shine on Latias, and to anyone else I missed!

Thank you for the luck, Cpchris!
Thank you for the congrats, ThePrinceOfMay, CpChris and pokemaster13!

I’m sure I’ll be too late, and it’s yours to decide what to do with, but personally, I just can’t run from a shiny, at least not a full odds one like that. It’s still a shiny, and if nothing else, a trophy to the dedication you put into finding it and luck you encountered to find it (even if it wasn’t what you wanted – you could have simply not encountered a shiny at all and you’d still be no further to finding your target). So far I’ve caught 3 Machoke even though I only needed one since I already have a Machamp (and I’ll continue to catch however many more I find before Scyther), and I caught all 6 of my Magby…And at least IMO, Budew is ~2,861x better than Magby or Machoke ;)
Ditto to this. I could never bring myself to run away from a shiny just because I already have more than I need. Keeping it as a trophy is definitely better than nothing. And right now it seems like we're all in the same boat :p I'm currently sitting at 3 Caterpie and 1 Butterfree. Hopefully we all can find a shiny that we don't already have haha.

I ended up catching it - I'd calmed down by the time I picked it up again and knew it'd be stupid to not catch it! Although, since I switch the clocks around so that I'm always hunting 8pm - 12am, by the time I'd picked it up and caught it it had flicked over to next day, so now as the cherry on top it's got the wrong date attached! Going to have to nickname it the 21st or something to rectify that. Thank you for knocking some sense into me!

On other hunts; I managed to collect 5 boxes of Buneary eggs in my Diamond version and hatched 25, so far. I mostly do that when I am not in the mood to hunt Cresselia, which isn't the case right now. If these 5 boxes do not provide me with a shiny, I think I'll fill 10 boxes next time (it was my original goal when I started the hunt but I didn't feel like it). It's a little bit difficult to properly MM in Diamond, without the touch screen to drag the eggs. Doing it manually is so long... Keane, I recall you MM a Igglybuff in Diamond, Pearl or Platinum. Have any tips for me ?

As far as boxing eggs up I did it the same way as you - collecting however many boxes I felt like before starting to hatch them all - with Houndour I ended up filling my PC which I semi-regret because I had 6-7 boxes left over afterwards, so I find that working in 5-10 box batches works best & is easier if you don't feel like hatching remaining eggs. When I hatched a party full, I went into deposit mode from my PC and released them all straight from my party rather than boxing them again, because releasing boxes and boxes afterwards is a bit of a pain and I feel it saves anguish my just releasing parties as you hatch them. Then I just into withdraw mode and use the buttoms to scroll through and withdraw 5 eggs - I don't think there's a faster way of doing it in D/P/P that just using the buttons unfortunately /: But good luck with your Buneary and I hope you find a method that works well for you!

Eterna Forest is throwing me quite a pattern now! Of a >1k hunt followed by a <1k hunt - I found a shiny Silcoon at 604 encounters. This time I did get a photo, but I'm probably just going to upload it when I summarise the whole of Eterna after I get my targets! Even though I've got a Beautifly, and at least 3 (haven't tested the 4th) of my Wurmples evolve into the Silcoon/Beautifly line, it's nice to see something at least decently fresh cross my screen. It's really quite a pretty colour, too.

Good luck everyone, especially Themaster327 with the Desert hunt, Ruru_Star on Mudkip, CpChris with Scyther, AquaRegisteel with your FEs, pokemaster13 with Weedle and Chimchar, Shy with Mudkip, Lorde with Rayquaza and Magby, jrmftw with Sprout Tower, Murderofkrow with your BQ, Tina with Archen, Cyberra with Virizion and RaichuArcanine and cocoadragon with your Chimchars!

V

Shiny Hunter
Dear Santa,

This year for Christmas, all I'd like is one thing.

Please give me my shiny Treecko!!!!!

Sincerely,
Finnegan

P.S. Bonus cookies if I get it before Christmas.

As you can guess, that letter means I have not gotten shiny Treecko yet. My side hunt for a GHSS starter is also still underway. Oh well! I'm too many resets into this hunt to quit.

hey, it's been a long time since I've posted and no shiny pokemon since then :(
I've hatched somewhere over 600 eggs for spritzee, and haven't been counting SR for virizion/ lugia, also have done some RE on FR/LF
hopefully i'll have this freaking spritzee soon, until then good luck and congrats everyone- also to anyone who has lost a pet since I was last on, I'm so sorry :(

edit: @Marvs it's Hola not ola (hello/hi in spanish)

Last edited:

Marvs

Shinneeee!
Ola guys! Congrats for all the recent shinys, started this hunt last week and really wanted to get my target before I got OR, last night this little beauty hatched :) Haven't checked the full IVs but she's modest/mischievous which is great!

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/SVvkOsY.jpg?1[/IMG200]

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
No new shinies for me. My hunts are at 1740 SRs for Piplup in Platinum, 21985 REs for BQ #8 in HG, and 590 REs with Dexnav for BQ #4 in AS.

I've decided to not do a BQ on SS and just continue with the shiny starter that I have, because I'm now after the weather trio. I've also decided to go with the idea of ending my BQ in HG after #8, so that I can have both HG and SS ready to hunt for them. Lastly in OR I am now 10 pokemon away from getting the shiny charm. The reason I'm going for it is that I really want a shiny Ho-oh with the right nature and IVs and with the shiny charm that might make it a bit easier.

Congrats to the recent shinies and good luck to all ongoing hunts, especially Keane on Etrena Forest, Cyberra on Virizion, RaichuArcanine on Chimchar, and Cpchris on Scyther. Also thank you Cpchris and Keane on the condolences.

Edit: While hatching Tyrogues in order to try for one to evolve into Hitmontop, which I was able to do by the way. I hatched a shiny one, which was a nice surprise. I have my Japanese Ditto in the day care, so I have been kinda hopeful for something to shine while hatching for dex entries and the last one I worked on pops it out.

Last edited:

2rsa

Shiny Hunter
Congratz on the new shinies. ^^

After being frustrated with my Treecko hunt I decided ti chain Zoruas, Since those little things are adorable. What I didn't know was, Chaining them was more frustrating than SRing Treecko! XD
It took a fe chains before I got the hang of it. After a chain of 230 and no shiny I decided to take a break from hunting (My wrists were killing me!XD).
I'm just very nervous these days and that did make me a little impatient with my hunts, But after a break I'm back. I'll be continuing to SR treecko, But I'll take it a little bit easier this time. ^^

Good luck everyone! ^^

Nack Firestorm

Unlucky Dragon!
Update: I've been hatching Swablu's whenever I can. So far, I hatched 100. I think I'm going use the other Daycare to help complete my Dex in the meantime.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
So last night I did around 60 more soft resets for my Shiny Reshiram hunt in Omega Ruby version. This morning I did 40-50 soft resets for my Shiny Rayquaza hunt on Ruby as well and I hatched 35 Magby eggs for my Masuda Method hunt. Anyway, congratulations to everyone who attained new Shinies.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Well, hey again everyone! Christmas isn't far away for us all, and for some it means they can get their hands on OR/AS. I will be among those who have had to wait until Christmas for OR/AS.

Whilst I've been away, I've changed my hunts a little. I was hunting Klink in Chargestone Cave, but it started dragging on a fair bit. So, because I was already thinking of hunting Latias in Alpha Sapphire...I moved out of the cave and headed to the Dreamyard. I've stayed there for a few days now, hunting down a shiny Latias. When I get to a certain point in AS I will abandon the White 2 hunt for Latias and head back to the cave. Aside from that? I got Platinum out and set up a repel trick in Eterna Forest. I encounter 40% Buneary / 40% Gastly / 10% Beautifly / 10% Dustox apparently, so it's all good.

Posting about my hunt on White 2 made me realise Keane wishes me luck on my FEs, but I stopped hunting it a while ago. Sorry there Keane xD

Good luck everyone, and congrats on the shinies - in particular Twilit Dragoon on Latias!

@ohjeezitskim Best to leave Greninja360 alone, I'm sure he/she will be sorted out. Some people just don't listen >>

Last edited:

ohjeezitskim

I'm sorry to have to ask this but - how exactly are you guys uploading images?
I have 10+ posts, so I know I can, but, when I go to insert the image of a Shiny, it tells me the file is invalid/too large.
And the file size is 1.78 MB.

To make it show up in the thread, I usually go to a person's post and reply to their comment to see the HTML code they used.
In this case, I used Marvs. (I've tried this before with another IMG html but the number was different)

[IMG200 ] image url [ /IMG200] (but without the spaces.)

You have to upload your photo first to a gallery like imugr or photobucket and use the Direct Link (email & IM) for where I have the image URL in the example. I find using imgur easier because you can sign in with your google account instead of making a profile.
Inserting images the other way, through the button they provide is obnoxious lol
---
Well I see you ignored my PM and post about the thread, that's fine. Continue to spam Greninja.
---
Suicune hit the slow road since the holidays are coming up.
I've started breeding some competitive pokes again
for the ones I'm missing while I'm updates my trade shop
for a "grand reopening" kinda deal eventually.
Maybe I'll end up with another MM! I think my
Last MM was an Omanyte I believe.. and that was so long
ago ;-; I'm over due for one! Hopefully if it happens, it's a good one!

Last edited:

umbreonfan3636

Congrats Yoitsdaffy on Zorua, Shiny Lord on Ralts, Shine of Latias, and Keane on Silicoon!

Special good luck to A_wild_CHARIZARD on that Treecko, I know you've been going for it for a while.

I put ORAS on hold for a bit since getting BQ#8 in HG. Now I am in Kanto after beating the e4. I am trying to decide if I should go for 16 or just finish off these Gym Leaders and SR for some legendaries that I want (that are unobtainable in ORAS) like Mewtwo, Kyogre, and Moltres.

Right now I am looking for a Lucky Egg on Route 15, which has a 1% chance of finding a Chansey, with a 5% chance of holding a Lucky Egg. I've been at it for a while and have only found 2 Chansey, both holding Oval Stones. If I find a shiny while doing this I may have to start the back side of HG.

Good luck everyone!

TheMaster327

Well, it finally happened. After 11,623 REs (or 223 non-consecutive DexNav encounters where no chain got past 8) this appeared at the start of a new chain!

[spoil][img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0011_zpscdf0856d.jpg[/img139][img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0012_zpsd8e2782b.jpg[/img139][img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0013_zps5ae9a17e.jpg[/img139]

Yup, Baltoy finally decided to be blue! It's a Hardy nature, and the IVs are quite good viewing too - 24, 25 / 4, 5 / 14, 15 / 16 / 30 / 30

Couldn't care less about the Attack IV, will be running Power Trick and Cosmic Power on this :)

Bonus Amie vid: http://vid1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/Capture_20141222_zpsmxgscslm.mp4[/spoil]

Sito

Shiny Breeder
Hello all :)
Two days ago I found a shiny Suicune, easily caught it in a dive ball, its careful nature, so my bold synch didnt work xD
So, in 4 days in a row I was able to catch 5 shiny legendary pokemon, Zekrom, Lugia, Latios, Kyurem and Suicune, that was my game gift for Christmas and birthday to me xD! also yesterday I was able to hatch a shiny female Snorunt on my Y game:D
Its Jolly with 31/31/31/x/31/20ish?. It will work well as a mega Glalie :)
Gratz on all the new shinies :D

Blastonite

Dream Crusher
---
Well I see you ignored my PM and post about the thread, that's fine. Continue to spam Greninja.
---
Suicune hit the slow road since the holidays are coming up.
I've started breeding some competitive pokes again
for the ones I'm missing while I'm updates my trade shop
for a "grand reopening" kinda deal eventually.
Maybe I'll end up with another MM! I think my
Last MM was an Omanyte I believe.. and that was so long
ago ;-; I'm over due for one! Hopefully if it happens, it's a good one!

Just leave it be. Mods are busy around this time Understandably.

But hopefully you get a shiny in the process of reopening. GL!

As for me got another Shroomish last night(7totalnow) Only 2 Poison Heal ones. This one was another Effect Spore. -_- Anotha batch! Tomorrow I have a 8ish hour ride home in which I will do nothing but chat with the GF and hatch eggs. Here's to hoping something Shines :D

Congrats to all who have seen the Shine and to those still searching I hope you see the Shine soon :D

DJX

Shiny hunter
Hey guys long time since I posted ynfortunatly due to irl random bills I had to sell my beloved 3ds and lost all my shinys however I've just started slowly saving and soon shall get another! Quick question I really like hunting in x y but the story I don't know if I can handle it again, should I jump straight into oras ?

ClipOwl

Fell off a boat
Hey there!
Gonna give a blanket congrats this time 'cause I'm too tired to go through all the posts since the last time I was here... but congratulations to everyone who's gotten a shiny~

I don't actually have any new shinies this time. I got bored of my OR badge quest and decided to trade the few shinies I did have over to Y before restarting. I'll probably start a new one at some point in the future, or at least continue my hunt for Numel/Torkoal since it went over the odds before I stopped.
I'm now hunting Torchic, which is the only Pokemon I'll be actively hunting with this file until I'm able to hunt for legendaries... haven't been counting, but I think it's around 1k SRs at this point.

Aaand that was my boring post xD
Good luck to everyone with their hunts!