• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

CosmicSparkles

Shiny Conoisseur
Hello Everyone! I'm meeting you all for the very first time and I'd like to start with a formal Hello! ^_^
I'm a new and exclusive shiny hunter who only hunts gen 4 and 5 I've actually been shiny hunting for 2 and a half years. It's a really fun hobby even though things don't go your way all the
time but where's the fun in things that don't challenge your skill. The skill that I believe shiny hunting brings out in people is patience because some shinies can take months while others can
take a few minutes. Well I guess I should stop with the boring stuff and tell you a little about myself, I'm a junior in high school and I started shiny hunting when I was 14. My favorite shiny pokemon of all time is Chimchar but it despises the very thought of my presence because as you can see I am at over 9,000 in Platinum and 7,000 in Pearl but hopefully I get to kickstart my year with this fabulous shiny. I'm a really awesome person if you get to know me but I don't think I'm very social which is the only downside of shiny hunting, well at least if you're an active shiny hunter at least. Well sorry about the long introduction folks but I'm just really happy to finally get a chance to say Hello to you all, hopefully I can make several new friends here during my stay and Happy New Year All!<3
-Cosmic Sparkles [1/1/15]

Last edited:

Typhlosion_Hunter_Mark

Galaxy Trainer
Happy New Year everyone! This last month I haven't been shiny hunting much, because I was still playing through OR and doing other stuff. But I'll pick up shiny hunting again very soon I hope.

My 2014 Shinies:
Pokémon X
Chain Fishing: Poliwhirl, Carvanha, Magikarp, Goldeen x2, Corphish, Crawdaunt, Gyarados, Luvdisc, Clauncher, Clawitzer x9, Relicanth, Qwilfish x11, Staryu, Remoraid x2, Clamperl, Octillery, Corsola & Poliwag.
Friend Safari: Pancham, Mankey, Helioptile, Spheal x3, Dewgong, Sneasel, Muk, Seviper, Venomoth & Wooper
Pokéradar: Skiddo x2
Horde Encounter: Psyduck x2 & Hoppip
Masuda Method: Charmander & Nidoran-M

Pokémon Heart Gold
Soft Reset: Abra, Totodile & Dratini
Random Encounter: Sandshrew & Growlithe

Pokémon Omega Ruby
Soft Reset: Treecko

DJX

Shiny hunter
Congrats to everyone on recent shinies and good luck for 2015 , Well i caught a shiny luvdisc just after midnight wasnt happy :(

Starting finally hunting latios up to 455 run aways which isnt alot compared to some of you guys , but for me i get bored after 30 srs lol! cant wait for it to shine!

Hope everyone has a good day and will individually congrats everyone on a post as soon as im back home !

Razorbadger

Congrats to wobbanut on Zigzagoon and Pinsir, Drakonekoshi on Tyrunt, Shiny Lord on Buneary, Tsukuyomi56 on Magnemite, Cyberra on Lileep, Floatzel and Poochyena, Lugia1703 on all the Feebas, Wurmple, Swablu, Seedot, Magikarp and Wailmer, Blastonite on both Shroomish, Sito on Virizion and Ralts, PKMN Trainer Gray on Torchic and Dragalge, Doobius on all the Zubat, Twilit Dragoon on Latios, darthmalice777 on Mudkip, Echo Nacyl on Unown, AquaRegisteel on Zekrom, maldoror on Raikou and Registeel, brunocosta1 on Lanturn, cryuel on Spinda, Mewtwo Ex on Zubat, Thundurus and Kyurem, TheMaster327 on Latias and Doduo, Duppy on Totodile, dark1raven3 on Swablu, Mestear on Aerodactyl, Danisher on Charmander and everyone else on your shinies.

Welcome to the thread CosmicSparkles :)

So no shiny for me to end 2014 as the Route 111 Desert has decided to be as kind to me as it was to TheMaster327. I've just hit 10,000 REs and at this point I'd be pretty annoyed if what shines isn't Cacnea or Trapinch. This is only my second hunt to ever hit five figures and my first to do so with the 6th Gen odds, really hoping something shines soon.

For my year in review I only really started hunting in August and only moved to hunting at full odds instead of by MM in October but still found a fair few shinies

January - Wurmple* (10 eggs, X)
February
March
April
May
June
July

August - Beldum (55 eggs, X)
September - Omanyte (~500 eggs, X), Kabuto (~60 eggs, X), Aerodactyl (1590 eggs, X)
October - Lileep (1443 eggs, X), Moltres (896 SRs, Fire Red), Anorith (192 eggs, X) Spearow (1176 REs, Fire Red), Pidgey (2562 REs, Fire Red - LOST), Pidgeotto (6191 REs, Fire Red)
November - Swinub (4018 REs, Fire Red), Zubat* (20 HEs, X), Whismur* (6HEs, X), Vanillite* (78 HEs, X), Hoppip (5368 REs, Fire Red), Heracross (17,265 REs, Fire Red)
December - Mudkip (3150 SRs, Omega Ruby), Chikorita (4578 SRs, Heart Gold), Pelipper (1824 Soaring Encounters, Omega Ruby), Tentacool (3186 REs, Fire Red)

*Wurmple, Zubat, Whismur and Vanillite were all found whilst not hunting. Wurmple was found whilst trying to hatch one that would evolve into a Dustox for my Pokedex and the other three whilst EV training.

So I found 21 shinies in 2014 and caught 20 of them. Of those, nine were at 1/8192 odds, two at 1/4096 odds, seven via Masuda Method and three through Horde Encounters. Considering I only started hunting at 1/8192 in October to find nine is wonderful, even if I did lose one of them. October and November are tied for best month for shinies found but November does have one more caught thanks to that damn Pidgey.

Happy New Year and good luck hunting everyone :)

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
Yes! Yes! Yes! My OR BQ is finally complete! After one shiny Voltorb exploded in my face and many looooong and broken chains, I Jay got my shiny Voltorb in a chain of about 120! It has a naughty nature which is terrible, but oh well! Now on to finish the game and start legend hunting!

ohjeezitskim

Haven't gotten lucky with IV breeding (which is also MMing lol) Still at around 60-75 eggs for the stubborn Shelmet and now Plusle.
They refuse to get the right IVs on a female with it's HA! It's so upsetting lol hoping to complete about 6-12 more
IVs before I re-open my shop!

Also went back to look at this year in shiny hunting since a lot of people are :3

Jan: Spinda, Ninetales,
Feb: Ralts Non-MM, Weepinbell, Shuppet
Mar: Cottonee, Eevee #1, Gligar #1, Gligar #2, Poliwag, Porygon #1, Porygon#2, Eevee #2
Apr: Froakie, Swirlix, Female Frillish, Hawlucha, Sableye, Squirtle
May: Ralts MM, Wooper, Foongus,
June: Eevee #3, Weepinbell
July: Omanyte, Murkrow
Aug: Charmander,
Sept:
Nov: Eevee #4
Dec: Lugia
Month I don't remember but know it was this year: Y BQ: Caterpie, Flabebe, and SS BQ Ditto I think. I know it was one pokemon in SS.
Total: ~31 (i feel like I'm missing a game..)
Best month: March with 8 shinies

Well March and April were some good months for me lol. Mostly all are from my X without a shiny charm. My pokedex is at 680 lol

Last edited:

SmartD

I was in one the Mirage Forest islands with Audino and Sunkern in Alpha Sapphire filling up the Pokedex, until I ran into a Shiny Audino! I weakened it with a Tirtouga and a Trubbish on me; one of it's Sludge Bombs from Trubbish poisoned it. I caught it with an Ultra Ball with a critical capture and it was finally caught. This is my first Shiny in Alpha Sapphire, my second Shiny Audino, my 12th Shiny overall, and my first Shiny of the year. What a great way to kick off 2015.

Mestear

Shiny Hunter
Waaaaah, its just insane, i got SHINY LAPRAS only after 26 Soft Resets! Just in the same day with shiny Aerodactyl! This Lapras is a girl with cool IV's and Hasty nature! That was my shortest shiny hunt ^__^[img139]https://pp.vk.me/c624120/v624120945/12768/pZyFr5hNmGg.jpg[/img139]

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I did almost 90 soft resets for my Shiny Reshiram hunt in Omega Ruby version this morning, which was invigorating. I also did 50+ SRs for my Shiny Rayquaza hunt last night, but I neglected my Shiny Magby MM hunt since I was busy. But anyway, congrats on the new Shinies and good luck to other people on their hunts as well.

CharlieDoryRose

Dragon Freak
I've been so busy I haven't had time to say COMMUNITY HUNT COMPLETE! For Decembers community hunt I found a beautiful golden Swablu who is now a magnificent Altaria, called Hermes. I also fished up a gorgeous purple Feebas the other day who is now a Milotic and the proud winner of two beauty contests.

shinypokes.jpg

Zero1999

I wouldn't shiny hunt in Pokemon Colosseum...watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqUo_u-MhwA

Yes, i know that if an opponent has a shiny shadow and i snag it there is a small chance that the shiny shadow has a small chance to keep his shiny form,
But what i plan to do is:
Save in the pokemon center
Talk to trainer who has a shadow pokemon
Snag the Shadow pokemon
Check in my party if is shiny
If not SR
The odds are like this:
Snag Shadow pokemon=Normal Shadow or Shiny shadow
Snag Shiny Shadow=1/8192 of keeping its shiny form or Revert to normal form

shadowF

Can I ask you guys a question since you guys are experienced shiny hunters? my question is if I want to hunt for the shiny latios that I receive after I beat courtney and the other grunt, when should I save to start soft resetting? by the time I get to the island or is there a way to save after I beat Courtney and the other grunt? would latios appear shiny from the overworld or do I have to check my party in order to see if it is shiny? if I have to save by the time I get to the island then that is a lot of cutscenes that I have to do in order to find out if latios is shiny or not. thanks!

shadowF

Can I ask you guys a question since you guys are experienced shiny hunters? my question is if I want to hunt for the shiny latios that I receive after I beat courtney and the other grunt, when should I save to start soft resetting? by the time I get to the island or is there a way to save after I beat Courtney and the other grunt? would latios appear shiny from the overworld or do I have to check my party in order to see if it is shiny? if I have to save by the time I get to the island then that is a lot of cutscenes that I have to do in order to find out if latios is shiny or not. thanks!

Zero1999

From what i have seen in a youtube video, is that you need to save before entering the forest, and you need to check your party

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Shiny reclaimed!!

The other day I got my National Dex upgrade on my OR game and while I was looking around for the new pokemon, I decided to chain for pidove on Route 104 to make up for the tranquil I lost a while back because I didn't have enough pokemon (while hatching eggs). I got a chain of 40-plus and it broke randomly so I got nervous, but three more REs later I found one. :D I'm glad to finally have that shiny back I lost, even if it didn't evolve yet.

And, a quick update from me before I get off the computer for the night, I got a shiny female oddish while doing some horde spams on Route 119. Yay, my first shiny of the new year. :D I'm so glad it's female, because I prefer the girls to be bellossom, and I prefer bellossom much more than vileplume.

Last edited:

Twilit Dragoon

*omnious thunderstorm*
Okay, so 2014 didn't give me a final shiny, but I did get my first 2015 shiny.

Two days ago, I finally ended up getting Crescent Isle unlocked, and so I decided to SR for a shiny Cresselia. I put Regirock on hold, I'm going to SR it in Alpha Sapphire now, and rushed to the island and saved.

Both my mother and I ended up getting the flu, so I've been lazying around in bed SRing(and helping around the house, as I was the 'healthier' one :p). I was trying to make it to 500 SRs so I could go to sleep when all of a sudden, after 1480 soft resets:

[img139]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t237/Storm_Dragoon/ASOR/IMG_0119_zpse35b07a0.jpg[/img139]

[img139]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t237/Storm_Dragoon/ASOR/IMG_0120_zpsee96c66b.jpg[/img139]

Shiny Cresselia appeared! I jumped up from where I was sitting and rushed to turn my light on. I was only 20 SRs away from hitting my goal, so I was pretty happy about that :D.

I was totally not prepared to catch this shiny, I never had enough Dive Balls, my Pokeball of choice. After the 5 I had ran out, I decided to throw Premier Balls instead. Five Premier Balls later, one shake, two shakes, three shakes, click! Shiny Cresselia was caught! I never bothered using a synchronizer for Cresselia, and she ended up with a Jolly nature. I'm just happy that it showed up when it did(hey, I'm not sleepy anymore XD)

More pics:

Nickname screen
Shiny Cresselia
Trainer ID
Jolly nature

I'm not quite sure what my next target is going to be. I might SR for another shiny legend, or I might try and finally get that darn Skitty I've been hunting for over 2 weeks.

Congrats to darthmalice777, Echo Nacyl, YoitsDaffy, AquaRegisteel, maldoror, brunocosta1, Artikia, LeppaBerry, kirkeastment, cryuel, Mewtwo Ex, TheMaster327, Doobius, Duppy, DTentacle, dark1raven3, Mestear, Danisher, Kingzard, KittyKitty3308, SmartD, CharlieDoryRose, wobbanut and everyone else on your new shinies!

LilyValley

Useless Sceptile
After a tiring 75 boxes, I have Shiny Dratini! And Marvel Scale, thank goodness. This is also a New Year's Day shiny! Hatched from egg 2,280, Female, Adamant with ExtremeSpeed and perfect Defense and Speed. It missed getting perfect Attack. I would love to call it a day but I still have to hatch a shiny Swablu, which shouldn't want to make me tear my hair out.

Kingzard

Shiny Hunter
Hey guys, I'm trying to get the Shiny Charm but for some reason I caught all the necessary Pokemon for completing the Dex but Birch won't give me the Charm. The only Pokemon I am missing are Deoxys, Shaymin, and Melotta. Do I need any of these Pokemon to get the Charm? >:

EDIT;; Nevermind I figured it out. I got Deoxys and now I'm on the way to hunt Vulpix. Shiny Charm!! Weeeee

Last edited: