• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

camhines4

Decided to hunt for a shiny Hoppip at Memorial Pillar since it has a 100% encounter rate. Currently at 100 REs

Last edited:

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Congrats to MurderofKrow on Pidgey, Misdreavus and Pawniard, Twilit Dragoon on Registeel, Pokefreak2014 on Rotom, Bidoof and Cascoon, Sito on Registeel, DJX on Tepig, Manakete-Girl on Virizion, Giblie on Ralts, wobbanut on Machop, Taillow and Wingull, Supremacy on Torchic, Cyberra on Absol, StrongBad456 on Cyndaquil, and everyone else on their new shinies :)

After several bad trades on the GTS I finally managed to get a Contrary Snivy. Since it's Japanese, Timid, has 4 Egg moves and 5 IVs (missing speed) I'm changing my Masuda Method hunt to a shiny Snivy. I might be biting off more than I can chew given my horrible luck with HAs and IVs while MMing but, after getting rid of a hacked shiny Snivy I received on the GTS, I really want to get one of my own and now's the perfect time as its HA is now legal.

Good luck to everyone in their hunts.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
.......well, okay then. Time is running out and it is a decent choice to start a new year, so.......

January CH is Starters + First Route Hunt.

I'll update the first post with that, as well as everyone who has completed the CH since Jan 1st.

Forgive me for my ignorance but there is no definition of that term in the first post of this thread. What is the Run Away method?
I'm pretty sure it's kind of obvious with its name somewhat giving it away, but I would still like to know in detail what to do and what order to do things when using this method

Like what Kingzard said, it's basically battling a stationary Pokemon, run away if it's not shiny, then immediately battle it again since the Pokemon stays there instead of disappearing.

It has the same chance as Random Encounter/Soft Reset, since it's basically the same thing.

The advantage of RA compared to SR, is that it is much faster. However, there are only very few Pokemon can be hunted via Run Away, usually ones that are mandatory capture.

I'll add RA into the first post.

Iwanuq

Iwan
Congrats to everyone since my last post!
Thanks to CpChris for th congrats on my Latias :)

Yesterday I decided to do some hordehunting in the Victory Road I had a Magnet pull lead to try for an Shiny Aron, and I ended up getting her, she ended up with a Jolly Nature and two perfect ivs. Well today I found out Cresent Isle appeared and I went there right away, I wasn't counting how many soft resents I was doing, but I expected to have the longest hunt ever, she ended up showing up in under 20 soft resets and I ended up snagging My beautiful shiny Cresselia! She has a bashful nature with 3 perfect ivs in Defense, Special Attack and Special Defense, which I don't know if those are good ivs or a good nature at all :p not to sure. Good luck to all those hunting!

bruinsgirl33

Been a LONG time since I've posted here, lol. Anyways, congrats to those who've gotten their Shinies! Takes a long time and hard work for those who want them, and it's well worth it!

Anyways, I myself got a Shiny Reshiram in OR after 1176 SRs. It was Modest Nature (Synchronizer) and had 3 perfect IVs but none were in Special Attack. They were in Speed, Special Defense and (hilariously enough) Attack. My Special Attack IV was a lowly 7. Currently at 405 SRs for Kyurem and counting; have Modest Synchronizer) plus going between the 3 Musketeers when I feel like it (354 Cobalion, 173 Terrakion, 216 Virizion). Also hatched a Female Shiny Gastly in X in November, which has since evolved into my competitive Shiny Mega Gengar (261 eggs with MM) :-D Also got a Shiny Luvdisc in Y (hunting for Heart Scales) and Shiny Wailmer in Omega Ruby (wanted a decent Staryu on my team and succeeded, as I've already beaten the game).

Swatski9

.......well, okay then. Time is running out and it is a decent choice to start a new year, so.......

January CH is Starters + First Route Hunt.

I'll update the first post with that, as well as everyone who has completed the CH since Jan 1st.

Like what Kingzard said, it's basically battling a stationary Pokemon, run away if it's not shiny, then immediately battle it again since the Pokemon stays there instead of disappearing.

It has the same chance as Random Encounter/Soft Reset, since it's basically the same thing.

The advantage of RA compared to SR, is that it is much faster. However, there are only very few Pokemon can be hunted via Run Away, usually ones that are mandatory capture.

I'll add RA into the first post.

Does Zorua count fro ORAS as a first route? :p

JohnNiles

Pic dump because I didn't get around to it the last time I posted:

[img200]http://i.imgur.com/H72lODZ.jpg[/img200]
[img200]http://i.imgur.com/M05QqqB.jpg[/img200]
[img200]http://i.imgur.com/T5l2YU8.jpg[/img200]
[img200]http://i.imgur.com/1z1PLH2.jpg[/img200]
[img200]http://i.imgur.com/uCZTyWx.jpg[/img200]
[img200]http://i.imgur.com/28pMapD.jpg[/img200]

Pardon the blurry images; my crummy camera has never worked well with the 3DS.

And now, the real update. Things have been slow lately and I've been switching targets frequently. I hatched another 2 boxes of Froakie and reset for Giratina with no results. I figured I'd reset a few times for Ho-oh before dozing off for the night... I had the sound turned up, and then I heard the shiny noise! It's a good thing I was still fully awake.

I went to work with Smeargle and put it to sleep. A crit put Ho-oh further into the yellow than I would have liked, but I put it to sleep and threw a pokeball. One toss, one catch. I guess all the fretting I did over Ho-oh's 20 PP limit was for nothing.

[img300]http://i.imgur.com/JIzMId7.jpg[/img300]
[img300]http://i.imgur.com/uhySIGV.jpg[/img300]

Sadly, Jolly synch failed (wound up with Bashful nature) and the Attack stat is 0. I was so shocked, for the briefest of moments, I considered starting over. But I'm keeping it, and frankly, I figured another playthrough would be faster than spitting in Lady Luck's face and toiling away when I could be catching many more shinies.

It's a beautiful shiny, and I'm glad to have it. I may still reset for Ho-oh in HeartGold, but I'd also like to go for Kyogre since I can't get it shiny any later than Gen IV.

Ruby is my alt cartridge, so I'm one step closer to completing the version exclusives.

Last edited:

Scherzando

scare-TZAN-doe
Hey everyone, it's been a while. Last you saw me, I was chaining in Diamond, but I put that on hold to play Alpha Sapphire. A few days ago, I caught my first shiny in that game: a Machop! I was EV training in attack so I searched for one with the dexnav and snuck over to it. I'm so glad they don't reveal whether or not it's shiny when you see it in the overworld because I'd get too nervous and lose it for sure. :p I threw a Poke Ball at it at full health and the first one caught it. It's Naughty and has a perfect Attack IV. Now I need to find a friend I really trust so I can evolve it ;P

Photos:
Stats/Moves/Ability
Nature

My next goal is to get the shiny charm so I can breed for some shiny ghosts! Congrats on everyone's recent shinies and good luck to everyone still hunting!

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Congrats everyone on their new Shinies! Please give me the same luck that gave you those shinies! Still going on my shiny Lugia hunt. I'm also exiting Sea Mauville everyday and getting Buzznav updates to update my mirage spots, and hoping to see Crescent Isle again so I can get to SRing for shiny Cresselia.

Btw, the Spiritomb in Sea Mauvilee is not shiny locked, right?

Swatski9

Found shiny latios. Modest synch failed. 21/5/31/15/31/31 Quirky. He isn't really worth much but a shiny nonetheless.

Edit: Took about 1100 Run Aways.

Last edited:

Scrufox86

Hi all just another shinyless update. I cannot believe just how long it is taking to find a shiny Scatterbug by MM. This is my longest hunt and I am well over the original 1/8192 odds with shiny Charm so I am over 8X the odds just shine damn bug. I have not done any more SRing for Azelf since my last post as I thought I would concentrate on this MM thinking I would at least get it within the week but I have not. It is getting irritating because I keep seeing all these people magically finding multiple shiny Legendaries within very little SR's and I have done so much for Azelf without a shiny showing up.

Well congrats to all shinies since my last post and good luck shiny hunters!

Duppy

Just an update on my shiny Oddish hunt, up to 1500 random encounters now. My longest hunt so far as I'm relatively new to shiny hunting :p.

Congrats and good luck to everyone on their hunts.

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
With this CH finally revealed, I plan to go searching for a Contrary Snivy on GTS, I sure hope I don't have too much trouble. On a sidenote, Cobalion shouldn't be too much of a problem if it doesn't continue this odd breaking spree.
Good luck on your hunts everybody.

Edit: Already got a freat Japanese Male Snivy and an American female snivy, forget Cobalion, I want a shiny contrary serperior.

Last edited:

ohjeezitskim

Made little improvement on my Suicune hunt. 110 in two days, which isn't good, but better than none lol
going to do more in a few, just need to wait on the camera/DS to charge before I do anything.
I'm feeling like today is the day it'll shine. I'm not sure why, just woke up with that feeling haha.
(Total SR is 860)

As for the CH - Whenever I receive the actual event (it's the only way I know it's a non-hacked one)
I'll try for a shiny HA Snivy. But seems as no one has the actual event and just has
Snivy lol. I'm offer 4 5iv pokemon or a competitive shiny so hopefully someone, somewhere
will want to trade.

JohnMango95

Loyal magma grunt
just caught myself a shiny numel w/th chaining. the IVs are literally nothing, and the natures sorta meh (hasty).
i'm just happy to get this one. my next target is shiny hypno.

JohnNiles

Lotta chatter about Contrary Snivy. I thought I would try my hand at Wonder Trading again.. and lo and behold, one pops up (rebred apparently). The shiny color doesn't seem that different from the regular one, so I may not get around to breeding it.

Contrary Serperior was the last pokemon I faced off against in competitive play (several months ago), and after I realized that people were tossing up whatever hacks they wanted, I quit battling.

*Murkrow

Bird trainer
Cresselia and Latias are now both EV trained and L100. They're currently resting in my shiny box on Bank, along with my shiny bird collection. I still need to get their movesets/nicknames all finalised but that will wait a bit.

Instead, I've decided that no, I'm not going to give up on shiny Tornadus, no matter how much I'm fed up of that cutscene. I only started SR'ing today and have so far done two hours, so roughly 120 SR's. I am going to limit myself to an hour a day, two at most for this one because I do tend to get caught up in hunting and then feel burnt out at the end. So going slowly with this. I just hope he doesn't take as long as Cresselia did!

Congrats on new shinies and good luck everyone. :)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Last night and part of this morning, I did 110 soft resets total for my Shiny Reshiram hunt on Omega Ruby. I also did like 55 or so soft resets for my Shiny Rayquaza hunt and I also hatched 22 Magby eggs this afternoon. Also, congrats and good luck to others on their Shiny hunts as well.