• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Echo Nacyl

Congrats to everyone on the new shinies (especially those legendaries).

I was preparing myself to hunt Thundurus today, flying around on Latias to get pokeballs and such, when I accidentally flew into a Soaring wild encounter...and got a shiny Pelipper.
I hope this doesn't curse my luck with Thundurus xD

TheEliteEmpoleon

Hey congrats everyone on all the shinies. Haven't been active much this past week due to my internet being bad, but a week after losing registeel, it appeared again, and I caught it! Careful synch didn't work, but I got sassy, which at least still raises Spdef. I've already moved on to Regice, hoping to get it soon. Good luck to all!

Demonslayer492

Got it Memorized?
Congratz to the new shinies.

With still no work for me lately I've been NoLifing my legends all day. And as I said before I started [BRegigigas][/B] this morning and got it after 486 resets. Lugia is next on my list.

Martinzqx

The shiny zekrom hunt continues! I soft reset 308 times tonight bringing my grand total to 1510! I hope it shines soon, but I doubt it!

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
2 days and 2 hours later after shiny Lugia showed up, shiny Cresselia showed up! Synchronize finally worked with my Bold Ralts, and very happy with it. Named it Celes because it's a beautiful name for such a beautiful female Legendary. Also caught it in a Luxury Ball, and that just makes this capture so much more awesome.

maldoror

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck on your ongoing hunts! Since finding Latias on January 2nd, I have been SRing for Kyurem. Yesterday, it decided to shine!

[img200]http://i.imgur.com/cDv5cMR.jpg[/img200]

I have since been SRing for Regirock.

DJX

Shiny hunter
Big congrats to all of you brunocosta1on Torchic and Magikarp, Nack Firestorm on Latias, Razorbadger on Treecko, razor fire on Foongus, Blasting Toise on Magikarp, Tentacool, Froakie, and Hawlucha, eiger on Electrike, Shine on Porygon, Mestear on Articuno, Sydwinx on Reshiram, Echo Nacyl on Elgyem and Zigzagoon, Iwanuq on Latias, Aron, and Cresselia, IndigoTribesman on Cobalion, Terrakion, Venomoth, and Virizion, Cyberra on Sneasel, Staryu, and Absol x2, ||Caboose|| on Lopunny, Goodra, Bisharp, Rotom, Gengar, Landorus, and Zekrom, TheGreaterLucario on Suicune, 2rsa on Zorua, Heliotrope on Zigzagoon, Greedy Chibi on Magnemite, Mienfoo, Riolu, Ariados, and Shuppet, MurderofKrow on Pidgey, Misdreavus, and Pawniard,Twilit Dragoon on Registeel, pokefreak2014 on Rotom, Bidoof, and Cascoon, Sito on Registeel, Manakete-Girl on Pidgeotto, Piplup, Virizion, Froakie, and your other shinies, Giblie on Ralts, wobbanut on Machop, Taillow, and Wingull, Supremacy on Torchic, StrongBad456 on Cyndaquil, bruinsgirl33 on Reshiram, Gastly, Luvdisc, and Wailmer, JohnNiles on Ho-Oh, Scherzando on Machop, Swatski9 on Latios, JohnMango95 on Numel, Pluski on Lugia, ohjeezitskim on Latios, Demonslayer492 on Zekrom, Ginji on Mudkip, Void Ventus on Lugia, Shiny Lord on Trapinch, maldor on Kyurem beautiful shiny , voi on cresselia

So guys i MMed my shiny protean froakie , took me only a tiny 106 eggs , its outstanding with all max ivs except for SP atk -.-! While Ev training him in frost cavern , after 6 hordes a shiny vanilite popped up Quiet nature with ice body , the second encounter after vanilite i saw a purple bear with snot Shiny cubchoo with a careful nature and snow cloak , unfortunatly i put some wrong evs but i didnt care! and i managed to snag a Dedenne pupitar and ledyba from the Friend safari!

And finally today after 15 full boxes i got my shiny rotom outstanding bold nature , all IV'S except Defense , what is my life haha :(!

Will edit with picture of the lot I think my next MM will be fletchling as im trying to reclaim all my lost shinys when i had to sell my last game :(!

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Sito on Registeel, DJX on Tepig, Manakete-Girl on Pidgey and Piplup and Froakie and Virizion, Supremacy on Torchic, StrongBad456 on Cyndaquil, Iwanuq on Cresselia, bruinsgirl33 on Reshiram, JohnNiles on Ho-Oh, Swatski9 on Latios, Pluski on Lugia, ohjeezitskim on Latios, Demonslayer492 on Zekrom, Ginji on Mudkip, Void Ventus on Lugia, Shiny Lord on Trapinch, KittyKitty3308 on Regice, Demonslayer492 on Regirock and Regice and Registeel, Wishmaker Latias on Goomy and Piplup, Shiny Lord on Ho-Oh, eiger on Groudon, Pluski on Cresselia, Echo Nacyl on Pelipper, TheEliteEmpoleon on Registeel, Demonslayer492 on Regigigas, Void Ventus on Cresselia, maldoror on Kyurem, DJX on Froakie and Rotom, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks for the luck, Crimson Penguin :)

-----------

After watching a shiny Groudon on SS video, and seeing some people on here hunting Groudon on SS, made me want to try to plan a strategy in case I ever get around to hunting it. Groudon and Rayquaza are the scariest targets to me, since I try to catch all pokemon in regular pokeballs, and Groudon only has 30 PP and has Rest.

So after some thinking, here are some of my plans:
-Use Screech to lower Groudon’s defense by 2 stages (or twice for 4 stages) to let False Swipe work in one hit to counter its Rest.

-Use Sweet Scent or Defog to lower Groudon’s evasion to let Hypnosis land easier without having to use X Accuracies each time I send in a different pokemon.

-Start with either Crobat (Defog/Screech/Hypnosis – low accuracy sleep, but defends better against Groudon’s attacks) or Parasect (Sweet Scent/Screech/Spore – 100% sleep, but terrible defense against Groudon’s attacks).

-Fill up remaining party slots with Gallades holding Leppa Berries that can use Trick/False Swipe/Hypnosis. Trick will let me recover Groudon’s PP to give me more chances with Pokeballs, and hopefully multiple Gallades doing this will be enough to succeed. However, Rest is Groudon’s earliest learned move, so it will be the one recovered and will constantly need to be False Swiped.

-May possibly try to lower Groudon’s Attack/Sp. Attack to reduce damage. Gallade can learn Memento, which will faint it but lower Groudon’s Attack/Sp. Attack by 2 stages each, so I might give one Gallade this move and then revive it after.

I have no idea how effective these plans will be, but hopefully should I get around to hunting Groudon, they’ll be effective enough to let me catch it in a normal pokeball! Plenty of testing will be done beforehand ;)

-----------

Haven’t done as much hunting the last few days, especially since I broke out Metroid Prime again a few days ago…But I’m at 4,700 REs on Black 2, 15,700 REs on Platinum, and 12,500 HBs on HeartGold. 5 more days until a month passes since my last shiny :x

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas, MurderofKrow, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Lorde, Keane, Shy, Ruru_star, CosmicSparkles, Crimson Penguin, and Lunafloon)!

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
After what i think is ~800 SR's, Shiny Cresselia has appeared :D

[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-01/FDACC3D6-F962-469F-BEE1-28B7AE43BB4C_zps9tnludqm.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-01/6085E64F-93D7-4516-84A6-0D2A89486525_zpspttilnzs.jpg[/IMG139]

Such an awesome looking Shiny, and i captured it in my ball of choice, a Dive Ball. :D

Got lucky too, as i only had 3 remaining after the battle ended, overall though, it was a fairly easy capture. :)

I'm going to take another turn at DexNav'ing something Shiny(Buneary & then try for a Male Ralts), but this time imma take my Pickuppers with me to get some easy credits whilst hunting Shiny Pokemon at the same time :D

EDIT:

Well that went exceedingly well. After ~50 DexNav Encounters, a wondeful, yet Klutz-y Shiny Buneary graced my screen.... and it's so cute :D (Triple Flawless in HP/Defense & Sp.Def).

[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-01/365DDDEC-305A-4431-BF83-A946F3529FE5_zpsoefpladi.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-01/3FBE7039-93D7-4834-95D1-4D85343460A0_zpsansrqivl.jpg[/IMG139]

So that made my decisions for the day so much easier, as now i only have Ralts as my next target.

Good luck with your hunts everyone. :D

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Yesterday I did around 60 soft resets for my Shiny Reshiram attempt on Omega Ruby; I've done at least 300 SRs in total this past week for that hunt. I also did like 70 more soft resets for my Shiny Rayquaza hunt last night as well and I hatched almost 40 Magby eggs for my MM hunt this morning.

*Murkrow

Bird trainer
8 hours hunting/roughly 480 SR's for Tornadus with no shiny emerging. Be nice if I get him before 500 but that looks quite unlikely.

Was still wondering if I should train up a new sleep user when I happened to remember seeing something on Reddit about being able to give a wild Pokémon infinite PP. Dug some more and it's Exeggutor with it's HA (Harvest) with Skill Swap/Bestow holding a Lum Berry. So may focus on getting that instead. The weather need to be intense sunlight to get Harvest to work 100% of the time, so I need to double check if Desolate Land counts or I'll have to bring two Drought users and just switch between them. Going for paralysis is probably easier in this case.

I'm off tomorrow so this will likely be my focus instead of SR'ing. :)

Good luck to everyone.

camhines4

Took a break from Pokémon for a week, but ready to resume my Hoppip hunt. Currently at 200 REs. Does anyone think I should continue my Treecko hunt on Sapphire? My internal battery is dry but I am starting the game over, per the advice of Kingzard, every 125 resets.

Last edited:

StrongBad456

Beginning Trainer
For the past few days, I've been trying, and failing, to MM a shiny Totodile in Soul Silver. I think I've hatched around 400, maybe more. I was just hatching them as I got them but now I'm storing the eggs and will hatch them when I've filled all 11 boxes I have set aside for eggs. I really hope I hatch a shiny soon so I can finally play through Heart Gold. With Omega Ruby, I played around a little bit with the DexNav the other day but I couldn't get any shinies.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Hey everyone! Congratulations on the latest shinies!

FINALLY! First shiny of 2015 and on ORAS!

[IMG139]http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/402876shinycresselia.png[/IMG139]

After over a month of hunting, Cresselia finally decided to shine with her amazing colors! This hunt went well over the odds of the sixth generation, and I most likely doubled them! Not having too much homework today, I decided I would join in mootypwns' shiny hunting stream (first time; she actually showed to be quite impatient) when Cresselia appeared! I didn't even see her arrive; heck, I was clicking on 'A' so much my Gardevoir ended up using a Psychic on it!

I nicknamed her Yue, after the Northern Water Tribe Princess Yue in Avatar: The Last Airbender, to whom life was given by the Moon Spirit and returned at the end of the first book. It means a lot to me, y'know... <3
My Modest synchronizer failed (of course...), and she got a Lonely nature... GREAT! D: But I don't really care. I wanted that shiny for a long time, the nature is all but important at this point. Her IVs look great, though: 31/28-29/10-13/31/31/4-5. A Modest nature would've been perfect! ;_;
Ah well! Such a great shiny! I'm not disappointed at all! :D

I will do some level grinding and item-finding in Alpha Sapphire before doing any other hunt on my 3DS. My game is still pretty "rooky" without the items I need to EV train and all. So first, I'll put my whole team to level 100, then hunt for some key items and then I will consider starting my Ho-Oh hunt on Heart Gold.

As for Buneary, started to collect eggs just before getting Cresselia! I'm so pumped right now! >: D

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:

camhines4

Incredible luck for me... just got shiny Hoppip after only 246 random encounters! This is my first Gen 3 shiny ever, which is crazy considering I've been playing them for years

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Updated the CH completion list.

.....So many shiny legends lately in this thread @.@

Meanwhile, Heatran still hasn't shine for me :p

Does Zorua from ORAS count as a first route? :p

Yes :)

Btw, the Spiritomb in Sea Mauvilee is not shiny locked, right?

I'm pretty sure its not locked. Good luck if you decide to go for it; I also plan on hunting it sometime in the future.

I've seen an in-battle picture of a shiny one, so yeah, it's not locked. It has Memento though, so you'll want to have a Taunt/Imprison user to block it, or just throw a Master Ball at it.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
One of my friends over at the FurAffinity Forums (I'm in and out of there looking art commissions when I can afford them, and they have a good pokemon discussing thread) requested a female pawniard in a dusk ball from me since I have two pawniard safaris. I caught the requested pawniard, and for it he traded me a shiny zorua.

Does that count towards the CH, since I did not catch/hatch it myself?

Edit: After checking the first post, it looks like it doesn't, since it was hatched, not caught, and by someone other than me. Oh well

Cresselia is at 3,000 SRs, and shellder is just over 570 eggs.

So many shiny cresselias being caught! You guys are really making me jealous, since I'm hunting her against full Gen V odds and it's likely going to take a long while for her to appear.

Last edited:

DJX

Shiny hunter
So , i decided to get the remaining few for my dex on Alpha sapphire and got the shiny charm , my first encounter on Route 101 was a shiny sewaddle via dexnav , talk about luck eh , but overal it was 284 dexnav encounters! , currently hunting shiny tympole and my shiny latios hunt is at 1000ra!

Kalosian

So long
Last year, I encountered a total of 8 random shinies in my games. Never expected that, especially not since I didn't find a single random shiny in 2012 and 2013. I am not a shiny hunter so it would just seem logical that I don't meet a lot of random shinies in my games as I am not actively looking for them. But that seems to have been changed, somehow.

I have now met my first shiny of this year. Yesterday, I was playing Platinum. I was on Route 208, looking for a Ralts to use on my team. Among the way, I kept running into another certain Pokemon which I had yet to catch on this file. I had decided to wait with catching it for now since it feared it might be quite strong against my current team, and it isn't exactly uncommon. But as I ran into yet another one, I noticed that its colors were slightly brighter than usual. Did my eyes deceive me? Nope. When it had appeared in full, it sparkled. I had never expected this. The battle was not the easiest as my team was quite worn down at the time, and this thing was rather tough. In the end, I only managed to damage it a little, then used a Great Ball and hoped for the best. It worked. Since it doesn't look that different compared to its regular form, it might not be the easiest to see that it is shiny on the pictures from the battle.

[IMG139]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n82/Hoto747/pkmn/glitters/IMG_3451_zpsda81d2e8.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n82/Hoto747/pkmn/glitters/IMG_3453_zps1b7c61ef.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n82/Hoto747/pkmn/glitters/IMG_3455_zps3bc297f5.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n82/Hoto747/pkmn/glitters/IMG_3463_zps0dc15a18.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n82/Hoto747/pkmn/glitters/IMG_3468_zps3504c4e1.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n82/Hoto747/pkmn/glitters/IMG_3471_zps291a2c27.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n82/Hoto747/pkmn/glitters/IMG_3477_zps75fd2ab0.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n82/Hoto747/pkmn/glitters/IMG_3483_zps710db416.jpg[/IMG139]

Had planned to post this yesterday, but it became too late and I was tired so I decided to wait until today. Anyway, I'm really happy about this, because I have never had any good luck with random shinies in 4th gen. I have previously only ever encountered one random shiny there, which was in 2011, despite playing the games quite a lot when they were new. So this is my second ever random shiny on 4th gen. I believe this is also my first time ever finding a random shiny while still playing through the storyline of a game, I can't recall that ever happening to me before. This might not be the most impressive Pokemon ever, but I'm happy about it.

Congrats to everyone who has recently gotten a shiny, and good luck to everybody who is still hunting.

grey wing

Johto League Champ
I currently have the shiny event metagross on my team in omega ruby. Has anyone else noticed that the in-game characters that notice it refer to it as being white in color? I don't know if it's just me, but I find this weird because it totally looks grey to me.