• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

maldoror

Well. I just found shiny Regirock. And just like Registeel, it struggled itself to death. I later reclaimed Registeel, but I just can't bear to look at anymore Regirock right now. ugh.

Mewtwo Ex

Meddling your D.N.A
Hello People It has been a little while!

So i have a few shinies i can show:

Starting off with Cresselia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_PdjVFqKN4

And then i got myself a shiny Virizion - no pictures or video of it.

Last night was Terrakion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAPraDQL1ic

And today i got a shiny Uxie to appear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_czO1oSXzc

Working on Mesprit now.

Future projects - OT Cobalion and Regigigas and Shiny Azure Flute Arceus

Good luck to all on your hunts.

*Murkrow

Bird trainer
Also I saw someone post here something about giving a legendary unlimited PP via Exeggutor with harvest and (he said lumber Berry) but I'm assuming Leppa Berry with skill swap and Bestow? Is this true? Because I want to get everything in Luxury balls but I keep having to master ball some.

She. :) And yes, that should have been Leppa Berry, I don't know why I typed Lum.

I've only personally tested this with a Pecha Berry but there's no reason why it wouldn't work with a Leppa one. As I said, I got this from a comment on Reddit in response to shiny legendaries struggling so I'm assuming the original poster had been using the strategy.

That’s an awesome idea, one I think I’ll try to use with future legendaries, so thanks for sharing :) Wondering if it’d be too risky to use with Groudon though, given the typing and chance of crits…I guess a Lv. 100 Exeggutor could stand a crit Eruption though.

You're welcome! I can't take credit for the original idea, but after coming so close to having Latias struggle, I figured it'd be worth looking into.

You don't have to keep Exeggutor in (see my comment below) but for a situation where you did, maybe two Exeggutor would work? Or anything with Trick, really. Give Groudon the berry, bring in Exeggutor, Skill Swap and then you're done. Could even give Exeggutor Leftovers in that case for a bit more bulk.

Unless some of these things changed in Gen 6 (which I’m really not familiar with), I read that if the pokemon that used skill swap is switched out, the abilities of both pokemon revert back to their original ones. You might want to lower its HP first, then bring in Exeggutor and leave it in instead of Groudon. You could always boost Exeggutor’s Defenses with items (or lower Tornadus’ offenses, which would have a more permanent effect in the event Exeggutor faints), to keep from having to heal up as often, but critical hits negate all stat changes, so a crit Crunch is going to do the same damage with or without stat changes on either pokemon. However, held Leppa Berries don’t get used until a move reaches 0 PP, so even if Exeggutor faints from a crit, as long as one of Tornadus’ moves doesn’t drop to 0 in the time it takes to bring Exeggutor back in and use Skill Swap, you should be alright.

Just tested this and this isn't true. :) I gave Exeggutor a Pecha Berry and taught Groudon Toxic.
-> Skill Swap Harvest onto Tornadus
-> Bestow gives Tornadus Pecha Berry
-> Swap in Groudon, use Toxic
-> Pecha Berry activates immediately, then Harvest activates at the end of the turn!

I used up all of Toxic's 10PP and each time the Pecha Berry got restored at the end of the turn.

Worth reiterating as well: Harvest has a 50% chance of restoring the berry, 100% in sunlight. 50% is a decent chance on its own, but I still wouldn't risk it, personally. Hence why Primal Groudon is important; permanent sunlight, not weak to any of Tornadus''s moves and is bulky as anything.

Did an hour earlier, nothing, did about 20 minutes just now before stopping to double check how Skill Swap works. Will get back to it now!

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Ok, decided to switch it up and alter my targets.

I'm current HE'ing for a Shiny Sandshrew(OR w/Shiny Charm) & SR'ing for a Shiny Torchic(AS... sans Shiny Charm :( still least it's 1/4096 odds lol)....

As soon as Shiny Sandshrew appears, i'll smash the E4 and begin SR'ing for a Shiny Cyndaquil. :)

Best of luck with your hunts everyone, can't wait to see some video's and pics of your latest captures.

EDIT: Don't feed the trolls guys/gals, just report the post for off topic/attempted derailment of a thread and go back to business :D

Last edited:

Jeppo

They are rare and it's a challenge to find them. Some are also prettier than their normal form.

What's special at winning a WiFi-battle? All it means is that you have chosen a better team and you had a bit of luck, perhaps. Nothing special about it. To each their own, mate. We all need a challenge to keep us going.

Mestear

Shiny Hunter
What's so good about shinies? All they are are differently coloured Pokémon, there's literally nothing special about them.
Agreed with Jeppo, finding shiny is an interesting and chalenging process.

Hi guys, congratz on your recent shinies.
I have done 4000 Soft Resets in order to find shiny bulbasaur, but still no success, I hope that it will shine pretty soon
I wish you luck in finding shinies, and please, wish me it as well)

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Gratz to Demonslayer492 on Zekrom and Lugia, Ginji on Mudkip, Void Ventus on Lugia and Cresselia, Shiny Lord on Trapinch and Ho-Oh, KittyKitty3308 on Regice, Wishmaker Latias on Piplup, eiger on Groundon, Pluski on Cresselia, TheEliteEmpoleon Registeel, maldoror on Kyurem, DJX on Froakie and Rotom, kirkeastment on Cresselia, The Prince of May on Cresselia, camhines4 on Hoppip, Kalosian on Bibarel, EHAN on Cyndaquil, Manakete-Girl on Eevee, Mewtwo Ex on Cresselia, Terrakion and Uxie, and everyone else on their shinies!

Lol whats with all the shiny Cresselia's lately!? Major gratz tho! Especially to The Prince of May, that Cresselia took way longer than it needed to.

-----

My mouth after the wisdom tooth removal is feeling a lot better, just some aching here and there but nothing major. I've been doing a lot of hunting in Granite Cave lately and I'm already at ~4266 REs but nothing yet.. another over odds hunt, yay! Buneary is also being stubborn at 1,140 eggs hatched. Lets hope my luck turns around soon.

Good luck everyone! :]

LilyValley

Useless Sceptile
what is your best method for doing the Masuda Method? I usually just get a full party of eggs and hatch them all at once, but it seems like you guys just collect the eggs and hatch them in bulk.
I fill my party with eggs and once one has hatched, I put it away and get another. You might just get yourself angry if one hatches and the person running the daycare doesn't have one to replace it with. I don't have the Oval Charm (boosts the probability of having an egg available), but if you try this, it isn't a bad idea to get it.

I was distracted by the Mystery Dungeon games a little bit, but I'm resetting for Groudon again. My procedures to catch it haven't failed in test runs. Which reminds me, Ho-Oh is in this game, but I do have Omega Ruby. I'll look for it in OR, and I will train a Breloom to help catch it (Maximum investment in health, to get around the weakness).

camhines4

After catching Hoppip through REs, I plan to do a little bit of chaining in Platinum. I may try Eevee- it would be awesome to round up 8 shiny Eevee so I could have the entire family (I don't have any Gen 6 games, so Sylveon wouldn't count). The problem is, the most shinies I have ever gotten in a single chain is 3 (Skitty). Wish me luck... I may go for Lotad as well

Good luck to everyone else

Swatski9

Currently at 490 for my MM'ed Honedge. Hoping for perfect stats of course, it's set up well for it. After this I think i'm going to start SRing for a Kyurem.

EHAN

Shiny Hunter
Ok, to keep this post from getting exceedingly spammy, I've made a list of only the 11 shinies I've obtained myself. I have 57 other shinies that are all from either events or trade.

My own shinies:
  • Medicham (Platinum, completely random)
  • Electrike (Ruby, completely random, sadly lost to time and space)
  • Gyarados (SoulSilver, Lake of Rage)
  • Stoutland (White, 185 REs)
  • Claydol (White, completely random)
  • Dratini (White 2, in-game gift)
  • Dugtrio (Y, completely random)
  • Absol (Y, 244 REs)
  • Gardevoir (Y, Masuda 20 eggs)
  • Emolga (Y, completely random)
  • Cyndaquil (OmegaRuby, Masuda 156 eggs)

And now stories for a couple of those. I've already told you about Medicham, so I'll skip over that one.

The reason why it says "lost to time and space" for Electrike is because... well, my copy of Ruby is glitched. In a weird way that I can't describe too well. For some reason, whenever I take the game out of the system or if I trade with another player, the game apparently wipes the entire save file. However, I have recovered the save file miraculously once before, when I tried to overwrite the corrupted file with a new game it actually gave me the option to restore the old file. That's only happened once, mind you. I'm honestly not even sure I can pull that kind of luck off again. Well, the Electrike itself was actually really weird in the way that I found it. I had picked up Ruby after not playing it in months, and I decided to go catch Rayquaza. After that, I screwed around a bit on Route 110 for reasons I can't recall, and I ran into an Electrike. I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be funny if it turned out to be shiny?" Next encounter, boom. Shiny Electrike. I spent an agonizing amount of time trying to catch it without a Master Ball, and with only a couple Timer Balls left in the end, it was finally mine. But seeing as I can't transfer the Electrike up without being able to trade it or remove it from the system to put it into a DS, I consider it lost forever. I plan on reclaiming it one day in the remakes, but I have other shiny hunt plans as of right now.

I recorded a video of my shiny Stoutland (then a Herdier) which pretty much sums up the whole experience.

Claydol was an oddity. I had recently gotten a Lunatone off of the GTS, and I was just wrapping up the interactables/legendaries in the game. Volcarona was one of the last few I needed, and that ended up taking a while to catch. But in the room right outside, as I was leaving, I ran into the shiny Claydol. It was much easier to catch in comparison, as it went easily into an Ultra Ball.

Dugtrio is probably (other than Medicham) the earliest I've encountered a shiny in a new game ever. Right after the fourth gym, I stepped outside and immediately found this thing. I also got a video of this thing too, so you can see that as well.

After that, an online friend and I made a race: first to find a shiny Absol. She was using the Masuda Method, and I was working solely with REs. Sadly, I didn't win. I lost by about 8 hours. But when I first heard the news later that day, I still decided to keep going. Glad I did, because several minutes later, I found mine. (Warning: sideways cam)

Gardevoir was just something I wanted. As you probably already know, my favorite Pokemon ever is Kirlia. Gardevoir's not too far behind, and I find it really useful, so I let it evolve all the way when I got it. But the really odd thing is just how quickly I found it: 20 eggs. (The name Lulamoon is a reference to the song I was listening to when I found it.)

I just hunted Emolga on a whim, it wasn't much of a thought. I just walked into an Electric Friend Safari and ran around for a while until I finally found it.

And like I said, the Cyndaquil is just something I wanted to do for a YouTuber whose work I really enjoy.

So that's all of the shinies I've gotten myself, and sorry if this post is really long and rambling, but what can I say: shinies are awesome. I need motivation to start yet another hunt for a shiny Eevee for yet another YouTuber. Shiny Eevee has been very elusive; I've done like 2000 REs for the thing with no results. I'm wondering if I should begin anew with the Masuda Method.

And lastly, before I forget: congratulations to Demonslayer492's Lugia, Manakete-Girl's Eevee (at least someone's got one), Mewtwo Ex's Cresselia/Virizion/Terrakion/Uxie, and anyone whom I have missed!

And maldoror, you have my condolences. Sorry about the lost Regirock :(

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
So this morning on my new horde Shiny hunt, I must've encountered around 40 hordes (of which 25 were Plusle hordes) via Sweet Scent, so that was a good start in my opinion. I also did 60 or so soft resets for my Shiny Reshiram hunt last night and 55 soft resets this afternoon for my Shiny Rayquaza hunt on Ruby.

Zero1999

Well, i decided to choose Treecko in alpha sapphire, i have a question?

What do you guys prefer, Soft resetting for my starter Treecko or Masuda Method him?, this is for alpha sapphire only

Mestear

Shiny Hunter
Well, i decided to choose Treecko in alpha sapphire, i have a question?

What do you guys prefer, Soft resetting for my starter Treecko or Masuda Method him?, this is for alpha sapphire only
To be honest, better to breed with nice IV's, if you are about to use them in competitive battles.

StrongBad456

Beginning Trainer
Well, my quest for a shiny Totodile on Soul Silver is still going. I tried storing and then hatching 12 boxes worth of eggs and just finished with that but didn't get a shiny. Tomorrow, I'm going back to just getting 5 and then hatching them right away. Congrats to everyone that has gotten a shiny Pokemon lately! I hope to have better luck myself in the coming days.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
So... I'm new to these forums, I've actually been lurking this thread and its past versions for years and only just now decided to join.

Hello :)

Does that count towards the CH, since I did not catch/hatch it myself?

You're a veteran in this thread, you should already knew traded Pokemon never counts for the CH :p

Besides, I clearly mentioned in the first post on the first page, that the Route 1 Pokemon must be caught.

Anyway

Heatran shined last night. I didn't count the number of SRs this time, but I knew it was a short hunt. I think it takes less than 12 hours in total.
And unlike Reshiram and Latias, this time I see the sparkle xD

[img139]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/heatran1_zps3f693424.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/heatran2_zps999d828c.jpg[/img139]

Modest Sync worked, unfortunately the IVs sucks xD
One of the 3 guaranteed 31 IV is in Attack, and the Defense IV is 0......

[img139]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/heatran3_zps23fb4108.jpg[/img139]

Also, something funny I noticed, Heatran doesn't close its eyes when sleeping, lol

[img139]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/heatransleep_zpsb53d74ea.jpg[/img139]

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
Ok, to keep this post from getting exceedingly spammy, I've made a list of only the 11 shinies I've obtained myself. I have 57 other shinies that are all from either events or trade.

My own shinies:
  • Medicham (Platinum, completely random)
  • Electrike (Ruby, completely random, sadly lost to time and space)
  • Gyarados (SoulSilver, Lake of Rage)
  • Stoutland (White, 185 REs)
  • Claydol (White, completely random)
  • Dratini (White 2, in-game gift)
  • Dugtrio (Y, completely random)
  • Absol (Y, 244 REs)
  • Gardevoir (Y, Masuda 20 eggs)
  • Emolga (Y, completely random)
  • Cyndaquil (OmegaRuby, Masuda 156 eggs)

And now stories for a couple of those. I've already told you about Medicham, so I'll skip over that one.

The reason why it says "lost to time and space" for Electrike is because... well, my copy of Ruby is glitched. In a weird way that I can't describe too well. For some reason, whenever I take the game out of the system or if I trade with another player, the game apparently wipes the entire save file. However, I have recovered the save file miraculously once before, when I tried to overwrite the corrupted file with a new game it actually gave me the option to restore the old file. That's only happened once, mind you. I'm honestly not even sure I can pull that kind of luck off again. Well, the Electrike itself was actually really weird in the way that I found it. I had picked up Ruby after not playing it in months, and I decided to go catch Rayquaza. After that, I screwed around a bit on Route 110 for reasons I can't recall, and I ran into an Electrike. I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be funny if it turned out to be shiny?" Next encounter, boom. Shiny Electrike. I spent an agonizing amount of time trying to catch it without a Master Ball, and with only a couple Timer Balls left in the end, it was finally mine. But seeing as I can't transfer the Electrike up without being able to trade it or remove it from the system to put it into a DS, I consider it lost forever. I plan on reclaiming it one day in the remakes, but I have other shiny hunt plans as of right now.

I recorded a video of my shiny Stoutland (then a Herdier) which pretty much sums up the whole experience.

Claydol was an oddity. I had recently gotten a Lunatone off of the GTS, and I was just wrapping up the interactables/legendaries in the game. Volcarona was one of the last few I needed, and that ended up taking a while to catch. But in the room right outside, as I was leaving, I ran into the shiny Claydol. It was much easier to catch in comparison, as it went easily into an Ultra Ball.

Dugtrio is probably (other than Medicham) the earliest I've encountered a shiny in a new game ever. Right after the fourth gym, I stepped outside and immediately found this thing. I also got a video of this thing too, so you can see that as well.

After that, an online friend and I made a race: first to find a shiny Absol. She was using the Masuda Method, and I was working solely with REs. Sadly, I didn't win. I lost by about 8 hours. But when I first heard the news later that day, I still decided to keep going. Glad I did, because several minutes later, I found mine. (Warning: sideways cam)

Gardevoir was just something I wanted. As you probably already know, my favorite Pokemon ever is Kirlia. Gardevoir's not too far behind, and I find it really useful, so I let it evolve all the way when I got it. But the really odd thing is just how quickly I found it: 20 eggs. (The name Lulamoon is a reference to the song I was listening to when I found it.)

I just hunted Emolga on a whim, it wasn't much of a thought. I just walked into an Electric Friend Safari and ran around for a while until I finally found it.

And like I said, the Cyndaquil is just something I wanted to do for a YouTuber whose work I really enjoy.

So that's all of the shinies I've gotten myself, and sorry if this post is really long and rambling, but what can I say: shinies are awesome. I need motivation to start yet another hunt for a shiny Eevee for yet another YouTuber. Shiny Eevee has been very elusive; I've done like 2000 REs for the thing with no results. I'm wondering if I should begin anew with the Masuda Method.

And lastly, before I forget: congratulations to Demonslayer492's Lugia, Manakete-Girl's Eevee (at least someone's got one), Mewtwo Ex's Cresselia/Virizion/Terrakion/Uxie, and anyone whom I have missed!

And maldoror, you have my condolences. Sorry about the lost Regirock :(

That's awesome :D watched all your videos. you have super good luck :) at least twenty times luckier than me, lol.
I stopped shiny hunting a while ago. Now, with only 100 or so left in my national dex, i actually plan on doing that once again once i pick up my Shiny Charm. I'll be so excited to masuda method for 1/400 chance (if that's true, because i've seen just as many sources say it isn't as it is) so idk. I have no idea what i want to hunt first, there's too many. Probably Eeevee or Gible or Vulpix. so excited :)

EDIT: @shine, that's super cool! I actually noticed that too when i was catching it the first time last week. Was he that forgotten that they just ignored his sleep animation? :p congrats :)

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
EDIT: @shine, that's super cool! I actually noticed that too when i was catching it the first time last week. Was he that forgotten that they just ignored his sleep animation? :p congrats :)

I think it's intentional since the same thing happens in Black/White 2. So, yea... Heatran sleeps with its eyes open lol. Creepy..

Gratz Shine! :]

HM02gon

Waiting...
I was working on MMing my competitive(not the ability) shiny Skarmory when she finally sparkled-only to reveal IVs less than desirable.(??/31/31/31/??/??) and only "relatively superior potential", meaning everything else could be crap. I think I'm gonna keep going for a better one, seeing that I've gotten 5IV ones from the same breeding duo. She only took me 2 and a half boxes anyway, and I have a long bus ride to school. But if anyone's looking for a shiny impish Skarmory, let me know.

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
You're a veteran in this thread, you should already knew traded Pokemon never counts for the CH :p

Actually, I did not know that.

Lol whats with all the shiny Cresselia's lately!?

XD To make the rest of us jealous... When I was hunting virizion everyone and their dog pokemon was catching shiny virizion in ORAS. Drove me NUTS because she was being so stubborn about shining for me. I wanted her so bad and everyone else was getting her before me.

Shiny shellder hatched from egg 760! Male, jolly nature, capable of taking hits, and he has Skill Link! I'm gonna take him and train him in SPD, ATK, and throw a few points into DEF. Will have pictures tomorrow :D

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/picture092_zpsf7f87056.jpg[/img139]

My next MM target will be an adamant shiny oshawott.

Last edited: