• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Hey guys, congrats to everyone who has gotten a shiny, especially a first shiny or a shiny you've been hunting for a long time.
So I was ev training my magby just now and was battling mostly mareeps and a few wingulls... a horde of wingulls appeared and the very left one was shiny. Wingull was the only pokemon I didn't want shiny here. thankfully I had a tamato berry(well 44) so it didn't affect my ev training.
goodluck to everyone hunting!

Edit: I continued ev training and found a shiny foongus, and after ev training I went to the friend safari to train my shiny charmeleon and found a shiny ivysaur- 3 shinies in 1 day, I think that's the most I've ever gotten in a day

Last edited:

Swatski9

Hi everyone this will be my first post here and I never thought I would be posting in this thread but I just had to share this moment with someone and what better place then Serebii! Sorry I'm a little hyper right now so here it is

*Dances around like a chicken with her head chopped off and set on fire* FINALLY! Today at 10:28am on 1-24-2015 for the first time ever I found a shiny pokemon in game in the wild without any bonuses and CAUGHT IT!

Now I know most of ya on here its not that big of a deal; everyone on here seems to have caught a shiny at some point but I have been playing since the first games of Red and Blue back in 1998 and have NEVER seen a wild shiny before EVER! Now I've never completed my dex or got a shiny charm before either nor have I done these things in pokemon X.

So you can imagine my shock and joy at finding this guy. I've never seen a shiny in the wild before in all my years of pokemon games; now I admit I skipped gen 3; couldn't get a Gameboy advanced but I played all the other gens and not once NOT once did I see a shiny! The first shiny I did get was an event which was still cool but not nearly as gratifying as finding one in the wild!

I was actually trying to level up some mons to evo them and get them for my dex. I wasn't even really looking at the screen; I was multitasking between watching TV and looking up the details on other mons to level next and I glance down to set my attack only to notice that the Zweilous is green not its normal blue.

Its then I freak out and desperately try and catch it and after a few panic moments I'm running out of special type pokeballs and just toss out a normal one. I so did not expect it to work but it did!

I now have an ever so handsomely green male Zweilous level 59 who is Timid in Nature and oddly enough Strongly defiant (which is me now that I think about it LOL!) Oh and I caught the beasty in the caves of Victory Road!

Now I've tried to shiny hunt before was after a Shiny Froakie for a while when XY first came out. Then gave up and went after a shiny Mareep, gave up and just decided it wasn't going to happen I even do breeding I do alot of breeding for IVs and ball types! Not once have I've gotten a shiny through breeding, hunting, FS.

The only way I have any shinies is by trade and events I now have a few of them but this guy will be my all time favorite because I found him and I caught him in the wild! *dances* Sorry sorry I'm just so happy and a little shell shocked too I think.

Anyways good luck to all those shiny hunting I'm going to get back to filling those last 100 of my dex now.

Congrats!!

Definitely abandoning my X Badgequest, only like 50 in, takes way too long to view it. Looks like D/P it is!

SnowKitty

Frozen fur
Just began a SR hunt for shiny Cresselia after getting the shiny charm in AS. I'm about 80 SRs in, and I might have actually been able to start sooner, but the odds for Crescent Isle appearing were not in my favor.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Been a while since my last post, school has been eating up all of my time this week unfortunately. Congrats to everyone who's found a shiny recently!

I still have nothing to report, but I've only just started hunting again for the past couple of days. Eevee is at 10,700 SRs - less than 200 SRs away from becoming my all-time longest hunt. Route 8 is at 2500 REs and Reshiram is at 4250 SRs. I did get quite a surprise earlier this week, though - Crescent Isle finally decided to show up for me! As such, I've put my Latios hunt on hold and begun to hunt for Cresselia. I'm at just 25 SRs, but I'll be working on it a little more this weekend.

Good luck to all of you on your hunts!

***EDIT***

OMG guys. It finally happened. OMG.

Shiny Eevee after 10711 SRs!!!!!

I am so excited right now, I can't believe this. I was messing around on the Internet and thought that I might as well do some resets for Eevee while I was at it. Well, only 11 SRs into the session, and I was greeted by a silver fox with a little red star next to it! I totally freaked out - not only is this my first shiny of 2015, but I was also just so relieved that this didn't become my longest hunt ever. (Dwebble holds the all-time record at 10,875 REs). He has a Mild nature, so I'll be evolving him into an Espeon - I know it gets a lot of hate, but I actually really like shiny Espeon's colors. I named him Ryan, after Ryan Tedder, the lead singer of OneRepublic (my favorite band - I was listening to one of their songs when Eevee appeared).

I just wanted to thank everyone who wished me luck on this hunt. Your encouragement really helped keep me going. I know it's not a horribly long hunt by some people's standards, but I was getting really impatient over seven months of hunting. I'm just glad it's over. XD

Anyway, my next stop for my BQ will be the Bug-Catching Contest in National Park. For now, though, I'm gonna enjoy my shiny Eevee.

Congrats to dark1raven3 on Absol and Tsukuyomi56 on Kecleon, and good luck to everyone else on your hunts!

Last edited:

Pluski

Thanks for the congratulations on Zekrom!

I've started SR'ing for Thundurus, and have so far reached 792 resets. I'm a bit tired of the soaring cutscene now, so I really hope it shines soon.

Good luck to everyone!

dark1raven3

Pokemon breeder
So earlier today I decided to try dex naving a shiny Pokemon while also trying to get more left overs from my pick up squad. I decided to hunt for an absol since it's one of my favourite pokemon. After just over 200 dex nav encounters (556 search level) an absol shined for me.
He's bold nature with pressure which is fine since I only wanted one as a trophy :). I also got some leftovers while searching for him so overall a good hunt.

When I eventually go back to my AS version and finish the delta episode I might sr on there for a shiny latios to match my latias.

Good luck to everyone on your hunts.

Edit: well I just ran into a shiny zangoose after 3 encounters n I love shiny zangoose. Unfortunately it had final gambit :c so yeah it's gone first lost shiny in ORAS. Think I'm gonna try n get another one cuz that wasn't fair lol. I'll update my post if I succeed.

Edit 2: I'm back and I have reclaimed my shiny zangoose :) she's gentle with toxic boost. Glad it didn't take long to get her back since I was devastated that the first one killed itself.

Last edited:

_Edu

Shiny Hunter
Yesterday I did like 500 SR for Zekrom and it's not shining yet. D:

I'm around 2,000 SR as of now.

Are the odds with the shiny charm really 1/1365? Seems I'm having terrible luck then.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Recently caught another random DexNav shiny, a Kecleon on Route 121 in AlphaSapphire. Still have a few more unobtainable ORAS Pokemon to catch/breed in X/Y before I can restart my Roselia MM hunt however.

LilyValley

Useless Sceptile
I have reset for Groudon for many days, and after working fairly hard for it (And a little Mystery Dungeon to distract myself) I have nothing to show. It has been two weeks since I started hunting Groudon on SoulSilver and I have yet to see it.

Final

I Submit to No One
Started resetting for Latios last night on my Omega Ruby.

I really wish Crescent Isle would show up on Alpha Sapphire so I can start on Cresselia. I guess once I've gotten Latios and progressed as far as I have to on Omega Ruby to get there I'll have better chances of it appearing on one of my games.

ohjeezitskim

Congrats on the bunny! My daughter (who may be joining this thread soon to document her Cressalia search) hatched one of them a few months ago. I bring this up because it was literally the last egg out of a group of 450 and she had long given up hope.

I'm so jealous of kids or even young adults that have "pokemoms." That's really awesome! I feel like my mom would play video games but my dad is anti-gaming so yeah lol. Also friendly reminder that this thread has thread rules to post once per page and use the edit button to add additional comments! ;P

After thinking about how long it took to get the Giratina, as well as my inability to effectively count SRs (I gave up on day 2), I've decided to MM Phanpy before considering another legend hunt.

For people who SR a lot, how do you keep track of the number?

As for me, when I SR I DO NOT use paper/pencil method. I feel like it takes longer to do it that way. Always having to pick up the pen and mark the paper. I use a calculator. A lot of them, once you do 1+1 = 2 every time you press the equals button it goes up +1. So all I do is press that equal button and then remember where I left off (Always a multiple of 25) and start again the next day. I use a texas instrument one, Ipod calculator, or the one on my computer.

Shiny hunting is slow since I've only been MMing for a snivy but managed up to 500 eggs exact
Suicune hunt is at 1,000 still and treecko hunt is 255

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I resumed my Shiny Magby MM hunt this morning; I hatched 30 or so eggs simply because I had been neglecting that hunt. I also did 50 soft resets for my Shiny Reshiram hunt in Omega Ruby and around the same amount for my Shiny Rayquaza hunt on Ruby version as well. Good luck to others too.

TheEliteEmpoleon

Congrats on all the new shinies. Regice hasn't shined yet, and this week is midterm week, so I probably won't have a chance to hunt until thursday. Plus, I've been distracted due to getting some new games lately. On top of that, Regice is getting a little boring; I should've mixed it up instead of doing the regis all in a row. Good luck.

Aesnath

But Nothing Happened
I'm so jealous of kids or even young adults that have "pokemoms." That's really awesome! I feel like my mom would play video games but my dad is anti-gaming so yeah lol. Also friendly reminder that this thread has thread rules to post once per page and use the edit button to add additional comments! ;P

As for me, when I SR I DO NOT use paper/pencil method. I feel like it takes longer to do it that way. Always having to pick up the pen and mark the paper. I use a calculator. A lot of them, once you do 1+1 = 2 every time you press the equals button it goes up +1. So all I do is press that equal button and then remember where I left off (Always a multiple of 25) and start again the next day. I use a texas instrument one, Ipod calculator, or the one on my computer.

Shiny hunting is slow since I've only been MMing for a snivy but managed up to 500 eggs exact
Suicune hunt is at 1,000 still and treecko hunt is 255

Thanks for the heads up about the once per page rule--I'll adhere to it from now on. Sorry!

Of note, I'm actually a Pokedad--but my wife plays as well. I think we've been playing so long mostly because all three of us are playing together--we've all reached 999:59 on our respective copies of X and Y. It is a lot of fun to play games with your family.

I may try the calculator method--I don't have a hand counter as someone suggested a while back, but the paper and pen method sounded cumbersome.

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
This Shiny Tepig SR hunt in OR.... is kicking my *** lol.

Did another few hundred SR's over the last 2 days, approaching 1k SR's i reckon by now.

I'm 99.9%(ad infinitum) sure it's not Shiny Locked, because ShinyTwins(Brooke) got a Shiny Chikorita by SR'ing from Birch in AS, so it stands to reason the Unova & Sinnoh Starters shouldn't be locked, but it's always there in the back of my mind.

Seems to have been a dry few days for a lot of us, maybe this thread is gonna explode tomorrow with shinies.

Good luck with your hunts everyone. :)

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I may try the calculator method--I don't have a hand counter as someone suggested a while back, but the paper and pen method sounded cumbersome.

That would've been me. I use a hand counter. $1.25 on ebay. Free shipping. Ebay is your friend XD

Well, that was a quick hunt... I moved over to my friend Samantha's electric safari to hunt zebras (though lizards would also have been acceptable had one shone). After a mere 177 REs, a purple thunder zebra charges out of the grass, tossing its head and shooting sparks in all directions. One sleep powder from my venusaur and one luxury ball and that zebra is all mine :D

Shock the zebstrika is male, hasty nature and takes plenty of siestas, with Lightning Rod as his ability. I'll have a picture tomorrow ^_^

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/picture%20101_zpsfly6bpmt.jpg[/img139]

Rather ironic that the music I was listening to when he appeared is electronica XD

I'll be staying in this safari and trying for helioptile (and betting on how many emolgas I'll get first XP)

Cresselia remains at 5,500 SRs for the weekend. Horsea is at 405 eggs.

Edit: Aaaaaaand there is the first shiny emolga. Male, lonely nature, alert to sounds, and has Motor Drive. Named him Sparky. Caught after only 34 REs.

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/picture%20104_zpsafkoccrk.jpg[/img139]

Last edited:

Echo Nacyl

OMG I finally got my Thundurus~ After 2684 SRs, it finally decided to stop being blue. Modest Sync succeeded, though its SpAtk IV ended up being its lowest (12-13). 31s were distributed to HP, Attack, and Speed, with 22-23 Def and 28-29 SpDef. I'm happy with it.
I'd post pictures if my pictures wouldn't be terrible quality.
Good luck to everyone.

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types
Well I had internet problems earlier so I remebered to SR Suicune and less then 300 SRs later:

Snapshot_20150125.JPG

Sync failed again and so it has a Lax nature....

Iv spread: ?Bad/31/X/31/X/31 There's gotta be a way too make this work out. It's nickname is Kirin.

Edit:

Not again another acidentally MM Shiny.... A 5 IV shiny Goomy with Sap sipper when breed to get Sap sipper.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2015/025/b/5/shiny_goomy__by_empresslunastra-d8fccdg.jpg
It's spread is 31/31/31/31/31/X Well a better spread than my Y BQ Goomy.

Last edited:

ChaoticInverse

<--31,000 incounting
Hey guys, I'm back from a semi break from hunting. (I got kind of swept into dragon age inquisition after christmas)

Before my break I was randomly hatching drifloon/absol/buneary eggs and today I decided to focus on buneary. 97 eggs later Bubblegum the shiny buneary hatched! He's hardy natured, has all the 'punch' egg moves and has four perfect ivs. I think he turned out pretty great since I was just hoping he'd keep his egg moves. I'm also probably one of the very few people who actively wanted a shiny male buneary.

Congrats on all the shinies and good luck!

Nack Firestorm

Unlucky Dragon!
Woot! While leveling up stuff for my Dex, I encounteted a Shiny Golbat. My only regret is that it was not one of the two Larion I encountered before.