• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

taufik386

just got shiny Lugia after 839 SRs :D

i'm so happy :D

next target maybe heatran or cresselia

other shinies from dexnaving are gothita and poochyena

congrat everyone with your recent shinies

ohjeezitskim

Thanks for the heads up about the once per page rule--I'll adhere to it from now on. Sorry!

Of note, I'm actually a Pokedad--but my wife plays as well. I think we've been playing so long mostly because all three of us are playing together--we've all reached 999:59 on our respective copies of X and Y. It is a lot of fun to play games with your family.

I may try the calculator method--I don't have a hand counter as someone suggested a while back, but the paper and pen method sounded cumbersome.

Doh! Sorry for assuming! But that's great! Pokefamily sounds even better! I only have my sister who plays pokemon but she got the game for Christmas and stopped at the third badge.. None of my friends play like I do either lol it's lonesome! I want pokefamily neighbors then lol any you know, send them to the Poconos! (But not this week - in for a snow storm xD)

(Going ahead and breaking the rule so you can see that I'm sorry and feel stupid for calling you a pokemom when you are a pokedad instead xD so I'll make the post count at least lol though I know there were at least 2 other pokemoms around on the forum!)

BUT I have some shiny news...sorta! It was through wonder trade and I got really excited and then REALLY disappointed afterwards...
I received a SHINY GROUDON! I was awestruck! Until that is I checked it's summary and saw that it was from the Kalos region.. And it's shiny locked in ORAS (this one WAS from cave of origins) he had a bashful nature and only three moves? Solarbeam, Dragon Claw, and a fire move I don't remember.

As for my hunts I'm playing around on rt 101 trying to find a Zorua with a modest sync (maybe switch to timid now that I think about it) I'm at about 75 encounters with the dexnav (since isn't it NOT chaining but 1/512 odds, right? I think we should all spread that around because I think it's really unfortunate to see people say they got to a chain of 300 and broke it and think there chances are lost and discouraged, when they actually aren't. But at the same time they should realize a chain of 300 doesn't make to much sense when chaining caps at 40 for the odds of finding a shiny and rarely did they go that high to find your first shiny on a chain.)

& Cyberra's hand counter method sounds better than a calculator to be honest haha. Don't need to worry about batteries, if it runs on batteries, or turning it off and losing you total SR count (unless it's a digital one? i'm assuming it's the one they use on planes and trains) I might have to look into getting one... eventually x3

I'm going to try and get more hunting done this week since we are getting a big snow storm (6-16 inches apparently... cries) but I also have to try and get a lot of my classwork done because i'm going to Apex2015 on Friday! Anyone else coming?! (It's a big smash brother tournament but they also have other games like street fighter and pokemon tournaments and this year Nintendo will be there!!! They are also going to try and do a 1,000 person snowball fight x3)

Here's to hoping something shines this week! sorry for wall of text also

Last edited:

CharlieDoryRose

Dragon Freak
Oh my gosh!! COMMUNITY HUNT COMPLETE!!

This morning on the way to work I was sat on the train, wishing I didn't have to do a shift, and...

http://imgur.com/a/Cjkrc

Shiny Charmander appeared for me! I wanted to shout out but I was on the train so I had to keep the noise to a minimum. I'm so excited about this, the Charmander evo line has always been one of my all time favourites.

I also got a shiny Snivy off wondertrade which is pretty damn cool. I'm not sure if it counts for the CH as I didn't catch it myself but here is a picture of it nonetheless.

10919212_390771881091726_1268833278_n.jpg

Also, my mum is an avid Pokemon player too and she recently caught her first shiny. It was pretty funny actually, she was doing some training in Reflection Cave and she was telling me how much she dislikes Mr Mime because she thinks he's creepy. No less than five minutes later, this pops up.

http://photos-g.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t51.2885-15/10903733_1516245371971910_1485475513_n.jpg

I laughed my butt off.

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
someone earlier mentioning how today it'd explode with good luck? heck yeah.
So i went on vacation. I'm not one of those people who spends the whole time in their room playing games or reading, but i will admit i spent maybe 6 hours of my cruise playing OR.
7 shinies to show for it.
seven in twenty four hours.
No, i'm not kidding. No, i don't hack. I don't know how this happened. Here, i'll go over the details.
1. Eevee (F) Timid
A gift for my girlfriend. She really wants a shiny sylveon, but is just getting into pokemon, so i decided to do her a little nice gift. I love the nature, i honestly wanted to keep it but i promised i'd give her the first one i got. Took me a chain of 97 in Omega Ruby (all of these are in Omega Ruby, jsyk) although i recently have suspicion that chains don't increase your shiny chance, simply using the dexnav increases the chance. More on this later.
2. Eevee (F) Rash
This is one i kept. It took me about 70 chain encounters. It's rash nature, but i love it. Probably gonna make it an umbreon (my fav shiny eevee)
3. Buneary (F) Adamant - Val
Ah yes, buneary. I love shiny buneary and i'm actually having trouble deciding if i want to evolve it or not. This gorgeous shine took me only 27 encounters. My lucky number ends in 7, strange.. :)
4. Carvanha (F) Gentle - Toothless
I love pink sharks. I'm so lucky this was the right encounter- it could have been another feebas or a sharpedo. but i wanted to evolve it into a pink shark, not just get a pink shark. So anyways :) Not much for competitive but i don't use shinies for that anyways. This one took me a fishing chain of 44! :D
5. Remoraid (F) Hasty - Squishy
It was my target after Carnavha, and it only took me 43 encounters (1 less than previous ;0) so that's awesome. It has Hustle, meaning it evolves into suction cup octillery, which is cool- i might use it as my suction cups if it weren't for the fact i'd hear a shiny animation every battle- it'd probably get me too excited xP I love it.
6. Wailmer (F) Adamant (lol) - Bessy
This one i broke the chain on way too much, but i eventually got it at 23. I think. I wrote it down but i'm not looking at it atm.. Anyways, i love pink shines, and this is no exception. Awful nature but that never particularly mattered to me :D
7. Barboach (F) Mild - Wishy
I just noticed all my shines were female. Strange.. Anyways, after looking up shiny whiscash (which is why i didnt evolve it asap) I discovered to my horror it is simply a different shade of blue. So idk what to do with it- i really don't want another different shaded shiny. This shine took me 19 encounters though, so that's amazing. (fishing chain)

So yeah. That happened. For real. i got most of them on camera, i'll probably upload vids on youtube then put them up on here :) I'm so incredibly lucky. I haven't tried hunting today yet, but i have a feeling i used up my luck for a while. Chain fishing is so incredibly simple and quick to get shines, i 100% encourage you guys to give it a shot. It got me literally 7 shinies in the past week alone!
Hope i didn't steal all the luck. Congrats on all recent shinies, and good luck on all future hunts guys!!! Stay strong. It'll shine soon :)
Edit: tried to evolve my Eevee after EV training it but apparently at 8 pm it still counts as morning (???) So it became Espeon. Uhm.. okay. Reseted, praying i saved after i EV trained- i did. to pass the time i guess i'll chain fish myself a red gyrados or add some more encounters to my swarm sandshrew hunt. :) anyone know when night officially starts? it seems incredibly late in ORAS. I checked my clock on my 3ds and it's fine, yet every night it's bright daylight until like 9 or 10. hmm?!?!

Edit two: was bored waiting for it to be officially night time and i fished up a shiny magicarp after 33 encounters :)

Last edited:

Archsage

Shiny Hunting!
While at my friend's house today, we decided to grind in the Friend Safari and look for shinies together. She was looking for a shiny Eevee, while I was grinding with another Normal Safari for Chansey to beat. I was hoping she'd be the one to find a shiny today, even if it wasn't an Eevee, since I've been the one with all the luck recently.

And of course, what shows up on my screen...? A shiny Loudred. I'm not really a Loudred fan, nor do I really like pink on it, so I'm slightly disappointed that it wasn't a Chansey or Aipom, or even better a shiny Eevee for my friend, but a shiny is a shiny.

I caught her with one Premier Ball and named her Wy. I actually nearly killed her– I was looking at my friend's screen and not mine, and almost clicked on a move before I saw her.

Sito

Shiny Breeder
Just got my second shiny of the year :D!
Yesterday I started SR for Dialga, and todays about ten minutes ago it appeared. The battle was... quick? Hit him a few times, then Hypnosis and a Timer Ball for the Lord of Time :D (it wasnt even 10 turns xD)
Its modest with 8, 9 / 18, 19 / 30, 31 / 10, 11 / 31 / 30, 31, so it will work fine :D. Now not sure what I should go hunt for, every time I try for Azelf I get bored and go somewhere else, thats how I got this Dialga and Registeel xD.
Gratz on all the recent shinies everyone, good luck on your hunts and dont give up :)

Shinyoracle

Hello everyone! S'been a while but I'm back. Since the last time I posted I got that shiny Reshiram, along with Kyurem, Ho-oh, Cresselia, Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, and just recently, a shiny Uxie I had the fortune of reclaiming after running away from the first by accident. >-> Hunting for Azelf now and it's currently sitting at 2900 SRs. I am using the shiny charm, but I have another question and it might seem silly, but I saved a few times to get onto the internet and offer a pokemon up for trade/check streetpasses. Saving doesn't mess up the chance to run into the shiny, does it? I ask because I hadn't done it with before with the other legendaries, only with this one. I think it's just a longish hunt, but I just want to be sure that I'm not messing up anything by resaving.

Congrats to everyone on their recent shinies and good luck with your current hunts! :)

_Edu

Shiny Hunter
I just hit 3,000 SR for Zekrom. I think my shiny charm might be broken... haha :(((

Good luck on your hunts, guys!

EHAN

Shiny Hunter
Back with a bit of news, but it's not necessarily good news.

First of all, congrats to starrybluecat on Horsea, Steelcry on Zweilous, maskofsanity1998 on Wingull, Foongus, and Ivysaur, Crimson Penguin on Eevee, dark1raven3 on Absol and Zangoose, Tsukuyomi56 on Kecleon, Cyberra on Zebstrika and Emolga, Echo Nacyl on Thundurus, Manakete-Girl on Suicune and Goomy, ChaoticInverse on Buneary, Nack Firestorm on Golbat, taufik386 on Lugia and Azelf, ohjeezitskim on Groudon, CharlieDoryRose on Charmander and Snivy (and your mom's Mr. Mime), Claus351 on Eeveex2, Buneary, Carvahna, Remoraid, Wailmer, and Barboach (I can't even imagine that kind of luck to get them all in 24 hours), Archsage on Loudred, Sito on Dialga, and Shinyoracle on Reshiram, Kyurem, Ho-oh, Cresselia, Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, and Uxie, as well as anyone I might have missed.

Now on to my news. I decided that I really want a shiny Plusle and Minun, and I DexNav'd Minun first. Early chains broke around 10 or 20, but the lastest chain went all the way up to 249. But then... I ran out of repels. I managed to hold on to the chain until it reached 261, but after that it shattered. Hours of work gone, nothing to show for it.

Moving to Masuda Method starting tomorrow. I feel like it'll be easier than DexNav in this case. But as always, good luck to everyone on your hunts, and please send some my way.

Artikia

First of all, congrats everyone on your shinies!

Over the weekend I did some DexNaving for Electrike and got up to 200 encounters. Nothing shiny yet, though. Because it's my BQ I dont have money for repels and my only usable pokemon is a Mightyena with Bite (25pp) and Ice Fang(15pp), so things arent moving that fast.

Anyways, good luck everyone!

ThisIsPatrick

Congrats on the recent shinies everyone!

Today I caught myself a Shiny Horsea through Chain Fishing, Shiny Seadra..... Legendary, better than Shiny Kingdra imo

Good luck on your hunts everyone!

Aesnath

But Nothing Happened
Doh! Sorry for assuming! But that's great! Pokefamily sounds even better! I only have my sister who plays pokemon but she got the game for Christmas and stopped at the third badge.. None of my friends play like I do either lol it's lonesome! I want pokefamily neighbors then lol any you know, send them to the Poconos! (But not this week - in for a snow storm xD)

(Going ahead and breaking the rule so you can see that I'm sorry and feel stupid for calling you a pokemom when you are a pokedad instead xD so I'll make the post count at least lol though I know there were at least 2 other pokemoms around on the forum!)

BUT I have some shiny news...sorta! It was through wonder trade and I got really excited and then REALLY disappointed afterwards...
I received a SHINY GROUDON! I was awestruck! Until that is I checked it's summary and saw that it was from the Kalos region.. And it's shiny locked in ORAS (this one WAS from cave of origins) he had a bashful nature and only three moves? Solarbeam, Dragon Claw, and a fire move I don't remember.

As for my hunts I'm playing around on rt 101 trying to find a Zorua with a modest sync (maybe switch to timid now that I think about it) I'm at about 75 encounters with the dexnav (since isn't it NOT chaining but 1/512 odds, right? I think we should all spread that around because I think it's really unfortunate to see people say they got to a chain of 300 and broke it and think there chances are lost and discouraged, when they actually aren't. But at the same time they should realize a chain of 300 doesn't make to much sense when chaining caps at 40 for the odds of finding a shiny and rarely did they go that high to find your first shiny on a chain.)

& Cyberra's hand counter method sounds better than a calculator to be honest haha. Don't need to worry about batteries, if it runs on batteries, or turning it off and losing you total SR count (unless it's a digital one? i'm assuming it's the one they use on planes and trains) I might have to look into getting one... eventually x3

I'm going to try and get more hunting done this week since we are getting a big snow storm (6-16 inches apparently... cries) but I also have to try and get a lot of my classwork done because i'm going to Apex2015 on Friday! Anyone else coming?! (It's a big smash brother tournament but they also have other games like street fighter and pokemon tournaments and this year Nintendo will be there!!! They are also going to try and do a 1,000 person snowball fight x3)

Here's to hoping something shines this week! sorry for wall of text also

Don't worry about it--gender is pretty hard to read on the internet!

I've also received random shinies via wondertrade, but they almost always seem somewhat-to-very hacked.

As for my own progress, I finished MMing 450 Phanpys with no luck. I was actually going to try the phanpy on a competitive team, so I needed it to have correct IVs as well. As a result, I would have likely had to breed more elephants in the future either way. I'm trying to decide to go for another round of little elephants this evening or start SRing for another legend (probably Thundurus).

_Edu

Shiny Hunter
My first SR legendary hunt is finally overrrr!!! I have a beautiful shiny Zekrom.

It was kind of long considering I have the shiny charm: 3,428 SR.
Synchronyzer didn't work and ended up with a rather useless nature, Quiet, the exact opposite I was looking for (Jolly). Perfect HP, SpA and Speed IV.
Took me 3 Luxury balls.

Well, it's not officially my first SR legendary, but it's the first I actually hunt. Few years back, I was trying to catch every single legendary with a regualr pokeball, so when I ran out of pokeballs, I SR, obviously I didn't know the term back then. When I was trying to catch Moltres (Leaf Green), on my 3rd or 4th attempt, I saw a pink Moltres and I successfully caught it in a regular pokeball! Although it's trapped on my Pokémon XD game (with a stupid nickname: LOMSERT) because my Gameboy Advance SP ran out of battery haha

Congrats on your recent shinies and good luck on your current hunts! :D

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
I'm at about 75 encounters with the dexnav (since isn't it NOT chaining but 1/512 odds, right? I think we should all spread that around because I think it's really unfortunate to see people say they got to a chain of 300 and broke it and think there chances are lost and discouraged, when they actually aren't. But at the same time they should realize a chain of 300 doesn't make to much sense when chaining caps at 40 for the odds of finding a shiny and rarely did they go that high to find your first shiny on a chain.)

!!! Yes, spread the word ppl.

------------

I'm still stuck at Granite Cave, at which I've now done ~10.4k REs at this point.. Buneary is at 1,645 eggs and still no shine. why me ;-;

Gratz on the recent shinies and good luck everyone.

dark1raven3

Pokemon breeder
Hey everyone, no new shinies to report but I am currently trying to use the dex nav to get a shiny Luxio since back in X I had one use roar on me. I have encountered 510 over the past 2 days so I'm hoping it will shine soon. Once I finish wonder trading away my left over trapinch from my last MM I think I will start on my next MM which is going to be a tyrunt. Not sure if ill go for the ha since I should be getting one from the battle of hoenn.

I think I might also attempt a badgequest on AS once I have finished catching all the legendaries and collecting all the useful items. I have never attempted a badgequest but I think it might be fun to try.

Good luck to everyone on your current hunts and congrats to everyone on your recent shinies.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Last night I did around 65 horde encounters for my Shiny Plusle hunt. I worked on doing another 70 soft resets for my Shiny Reshiram hunt in Omega Ruby as well this morning, and I did almost 80 SRs for my Shiny Rayquaza hunt on Ruby version too yesterday. Anyways, good luck to everyone else too.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
CH completion updated~

Any idea for February CH? :D

Definitely NOT something love-related, we've had that before :p

Currently SR'ing for a Shiny Reshiram in OR, and quite frankly, the lack of sparkles thus far is driving me nuts! I'm up to 300 SR's at the moment, and I SWEAR that rat ba- I mean little bugger is not being Shiny on purpose! *sigh* If there's anything more frustrating than Shiny hunting, I don't want to know about it.

It took me 540 SRs for one, so don't give up ;)

Took me a chain of 97 in Omega Ruby (all of these are in Omega Ruby, jsyk) although i recently have suspicion that chains don't increase your shiny chance, simply using the dexnav increases the chance.

Apparently, that's true, DexNav works more like the Friend Safari. Someone in Reddit did a test and his research concludes with search level and chain length have nothing to do with shiny chance. The exact chance is still up in the air, though.

6. Wailmer (F) Adamant (lol) - Bessy
This one i broke the chain on way too much, but i eventually got it at 23. I think. I wrote it down but i'm not looking at it atm.. Anyways, i love pink shines, and this is no exception. Awful nature but that never particularly mattered to me :D

Adamant is actually okay for Wailord, since it can run a physical set.

anyway

Yesterday while checking Mirage Spots, I randomly encountered this cute shy cherry blossom flower :p

My first surprise shiny in OR, as so far all my other shinies in OR are targets, instead of random like this one.

She's an easy capture, I immediately threw a Dive Ball on the first turn and she stays in it.

[img139]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/cherrim_zpsedfd834f.jpg[/img139]

And no, that's NOT my box of shinies :p She just happens to land on that box, that's all.

Swatski9

Decided I don't have the patience for a BQ. Might get another Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, get me a quick shiny charm and just SR all the available legendaries.

CH completion updated~

Any idea for February CH? :D

Someone suggested the shortest 'mons as the CH, being the shortest month.

On a side note, EV training on my AS got me a shiny whismur. Meh.

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
SECOND shiny emolga has appeared. This one is male, gentle nature, takes plenty of siestas, and has Static. Into wonder trade he goes...

Anyone want to place bets on how many emolga I get before helioptile shines?

Cresselia is at 5,900 SRs in White 2. Horsea is at 770 eggs.

Last edited: