• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Blastonite on Treecko, _Edu on Latios and Lugia, Rio! on Reshiram, Symphony on Snivy, ChaoticInverse on Totodile, and everyone else on your shinies!

-----------

Well, I FINALLY got it! After many hours of PokeRadar chaining in Y, and several DexNav chain attempts in OmegaRuby, I FINALLY found my Shiny Zorua (Now Zoroark)!

On a slightly different note, the reveal of the alternate color for Suicune in Poken Tournament reminded me of an idea I once had regarding Shiny Pokemon- alternate Shiny color palattes.

I was kind of thinking about alternate shiny palettes around the time of X/Y’s release. I wondered (and hoped) that maybe they lowered the odds of regular shinies because they were also adding in full-odds (or maybe to balance the lowered odds, past full-odds) shinies with another unique palette. Alas, not the case :\ For the better, I suppose, since the would-be rarer shinies would inevitably be lowered once people start complaining that THOSE are too hard to get as well.

-----------

Ah, it seems I spoke too soon! After 7,005 REs and on my 105th RE for the day on my Black 2, a second shiny Axew graced my screen!

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/1GtZqYI.jpg[/IMG200]

This one is male, Serious nature (Often dozes off), and has Rivalry (sadly). IVs: 31 – 6 – 28 – 18 – 4 – 24. At this point, it seems like my first Axew is still more likely to become a Haxorus, given the better IVs and ability (the –Speed nature makes me unsure though). I might start EV training my first Axew and get it evolved to Fraxure, since now I know it will at least be evolved once, if not twice.

I’m pretty happy about finding an Axew over anything else at this point, since under normal conditions it’s the hardest of the three I’m after to find (and if I were to repel trick, I can always use Magnet Pull to find Aron more often than Axew). I’d like one more Axew (along with another Boldore and two more Aron), then I’ll say goodbye to Mistralton Cave permanently. This also kept my 3 main hunts from all being over the odds at once, which I’m appreciative that my games seem to try to do at least that much for me ;) I’m going to head back over to Abundant Shrine now. Hopefully a Vulpix, Swablu, or Cottonee shine while I’m there!

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas, MurderofKrow, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Lorde, Keane, Shy, Ruru_star, CosmicSparkles, Razorbadger, Supremacy, and Lunafloon)!

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
I don't see how this is a problem at all?? There are only certain dog, pig, ox, horse ect. pokemon.. You can't argue if Aipom is a monkey or not because its a monkey.I really don't see your point of view here - it's not hard to tell whether if a miltank is a cow or an ox. I don't agree Miltank should be an ox since it is noticeably a cow. The list from last year had questionable pokemon because it included in the Tiger section; cat pokemon - which aren't 'tigers.' It just kinda sounds like favoritism over your idea to be honest. The list that was originally made didn't have questionable ones although was missing Aipom as a monkey, who clearly is a monkey. This one is sticking to ones that are clearly that animal and not in the same family (cats, tigers, lions.) I seen someone mention Slakoth for the monkey line and he is a sloth so he would not count.

The only problem I agree with, if that it was used as last year's February hunt then yeah it seems kinda redundant. But usually people squabble over if a pokemon belongs to the category or not so it's not something unusual.

Right, those examples you give are obvious lol

The list we have now includes Camerupt and Girafarig. Why are they in there? Who knows.

Anyways, my last post on this matter. Because nobody has checked the posts, I did so just and guess what hunt we had last January? Yup, a Zodiac hunt. You can say it wasn't February's hunt, but it's darn close enough. Using a Zodiac hunt just isn't interesting compare to any creative ideas we've had suggested (and not necessarily Master's before somebody screams favouritism). Hey, skip it this year and we can most likely use it next year ;P

My hunting has sped up a little more now. Alongside SRing Mudkip, I've been hunting in Platinum for Swablu, whilst I've gone back to Chargestone Cave in White 2 for Klink. Not counting any REs or SRs anymore though.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Not that I'm active in community hunts, but I vote against the zodiac hunt. It's been done. Go with something new. I liked the multiples of 28 idea.

CharlieDoryRose

Dragon Freak
When I suggested the Zodiac Hunt I didn't realise it had been done last year (I wasn't posting as much back then) and I definitely didn't anticipate all this squabbling!

TheBuckeye11

Shiny Hunter
Starting a hunt for a pink Mudkip on AS. Also starting a hunt on OR for a shiny Treeko.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Hey guys! Congratulations on the latest shinies!

I haven't been hunting since my last post... I kinda lost some of my motivation. Hopefully it will be back eventually. I'm not forcing myself, though. Last time I did that, it didn't end up well.

No, the reason why I'm here is because of the community hunt.
I remember last year perfectly. I was the one who made the list and started debatting which Pokémon should go in which category. We took a few days discussing the list, and to be frank, it was pretty hard to convince everyone of my choices.
While not a bad idea (I was totally won, last year, by this idea, which was kirkeastment's), I think it would be redundant to do it again this year. If anything, let's wait for next yeara at least, give the old hunters a break. I know from last summer how hard can it be to please everyone into the community hunt! :D'

If we are picking things for next months Community Hunt, I like this one. There are a nice variety of Pokemon here, and the idea around it is pretty cool. Twenty-eight days in the month of February and going by multiples of 28 is really interesting :).

I'd like to see a different CH rather than use the same one from last year. While the Zodiac one is nice and all, there are quite a few Pokemon on that list that don't even match the animal on the Zodiac. From what I see on the list Cpchris posted that we used last year:

Girafarig is a giraffe, Numel/Camerupt are camels, Deerling/Sawsbuck are deer, Ho-oh is a phoenix and those are just a few examples.

You have to understand, I tried my best to make the categories as big as possible. ;_; If we were to limit all of them to Pokémon who are truly based on these animals, the list would've been much shorter. Girafarig, Deerling and Sawsbuck had horse-like traits, Camerupt reminded me of a cow (the Ox category was particularily difficult to fill, so I had to make decisions) while Ho-Oh had rooster traits. We wanted as much possibility so everyone could have an interesting target. In the end, people were generally pleased! :D

But no matter. I will be voting for TheMaster327's idea. It's simple, clever and it's also based on random factors. When we don't have ideas for the month, let's take something easy that doesn't require much debates, especially a day before the beginning of the month!

I was thinking maybe a CH for Pokémon with National Dex numbers that are multiples of 28 (days in February), including the evolution lines.

#28 - Sandslash (Sandshrew)
#56 - Mankey (Primeape)
#84 - Doduo (Dodrio)
#112 - Rhydon (Rhyhorn, Rhyperior)
#140 - Kabuto (Kabutops)
#168 - Ariados (Spinerak)
#196 - Espeon (Eevee, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Umbreon, Leafeon, Glaceon, Sylveon)
#224 - Octillery (Remoraid)
#252 - Treecko (Grovyle, Sceptile)
#280 - Ralts (Kirlia, Gardevoir, Gallade)
#308 - Medicham (Meditite)
#336 - Seviper
#364 - Sealeo (Spheal, Walrein)
#392 - Infernape (Chimchar, Monferno)
#420 - Cherubi (Cherrim)
#448 - Lucario (Riolu)
#476 - Probopass (Nosepass)
#504 - Patrat (Watchog)
#532 - Timburr (Gurdurr, Conkeldurr)
#560 - Scrafty (Scraggy)
#588 - Karrablast (Escavalier)
#616 - Shelmet (Accelgor)
#644 - Zekrom
#672 - Skiddo (Gogoat)
#700 - Sylveon (Eevee and Eeveelutions already included)

Quite a variety there, wouldn't you say?

Targets are varied, interesting. Why not ? That's just my opinion. :p

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:

Paraqua

Beginning Trainer
Congrats on all the recent shiny's

I've had quite some luck with shiny's this past month

After breeding and hatching about 998 eggs using the Masuda method, I bred a female shiny Ponyta. Jolly nature, Flash Fire Abillity and perfect IV's in HP, ATK, DEF and Sp. ATK. I named her Vinyl which I have EV trained and evolved her into a Rapidash.

Earlier this month while staying in Scotland, I decided to give pokénav chaining a chance again, resulting in my first Pokénav shiny. A shiny Shroomish which I named Oran. Poison Heal abillity. Lax nature.

After obtaining the Contrary Serperior through the recent event, I decided to give another chance to a Masuda method hunt in order to get a contrary shiny Snivy but not much luck thus far, but when I was wondertrading the contrary Snivy's I did breed, a shiny Joltik came to my game in exchange for one of the Snivy's

And this past week I gave another chance to a Pokénav hunt again (For building my so called "Guardians of the Galaxy team" ) starting with Sewaddle for it's role as Gamora. After a few days of searching, a beautiful shiny Sewaddle popped up, but it was a male. I still nicknamed him Gamora since Leavanny is still feminin in appearance so I rolled with it. Adamant Nature, Chlorophyll abillity and a perfect IV in special DEF.

Today I attempted another Pokénav hunt for Machop (For the part of Drax the Destroyer) after trying horde encounters and in a few hours a shiny Machop did appear, but would you guess it....It's a female xD

I decided to roll with it again and still call her Drax. Relaxed Nature with the No Guard abillity and a perfect IV in Speed.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Seems like everyone's talking about the Zodiac hunt and I really liked Cpchris's idea lol. I do agree that since we did the Zodiac hunt last year we should try something different this time. So my vote goes to Cpchris/TheMaster327's idea.

I'm almost convinced my games have shiny locked themselves. Yup, that's the only logical explanation for this. Buneary is at 2,060 eggs; haven't had a MM hunt go over 2k eggs since Fletchling.. and that was a year ago (not even kidding, I looked in my shiny archive and I started that Fletchling hunt a year ago, today). Buneary has already surpassed that hunt now by 10 eggs. So umm, yeah.. starting not to like Buneary as much. Also, Granite Cave is at ~12.3k REs, which means this BQ has produced two consecutive 3x over odds hunts!? Like, wut?? I've had way better luck in my 1/8192 badge quests lmao. This is starting to get a bit much, but I've come to far to give up now.

Gratz on the recent shinies, especially Cpchris on Axew. Good luck everyone! :]

Twilit Dragoon

*omnious thunderstorm*

You have to understand, I tried my best to make the categories as big as possible. ;_; If we were to limit all of them to Pokémon who are truly based on these animals, the list would've been much shorter. Girafarig, Deerling and Sawsbuck had horse-like traits, Camerupt reminded me of a cow (the Ox category was particularily difficult to fill, so I had to make decisions) while Ho-Oh had rooster traits. We wanted as much possibility so everyone could have an interesting target. In the end, people were generally pleased! :D

Sorry if it seemed like I was nitpicking, but I just found it weird that they were listed as something that didn't even look like the animal in the zodiac :p. Not to keep it up, but I'd rather see it shortened, than to add something that doesn't match, but that's just me :p.(I'll apologize though, and won't bring it up in this topic again).

~

Hunting isn't going too fast today, been on the go for most of the day and right now I'm a bit lazy. I did manage to get my Abra SRs up to 44(44 SRs x 83 Abra per SR = 3652 so far) last night, so I might focus on that today. I need to get 55 more SRs to be over odds for Abra, hopefully it doesn't go that far, but I digress.

Other hunts haven't really gotten too far, I started SRing for a shiny Entei in Omega Ruby, but I only have 50 SRs. It isn't as high a priority as Abra is right now(I kinda want to get shiny Abra before I lose interest XD), but its good enough as a side hunt.

Congrats to new shinies everyone!

_Edu

Shiny Hunter
First of all, congrats on your new shinies and good luck on your current hunts. Thanks for the congrats cpchris and congrats on that awesome Axew!

Anyway, I got super lucky with that Lugia yesterday... appearently we were bound to be together haha, I had my master ball just in case but I really wanted it in a luxury ball and ended up in one! :D

Funny thing is that my in-game Gardevoir, which I use to hypnotize, has Trace so it was a 10PP match not 20, thanks to Pressure (yeah, you can say I like living on the edge). Two of the nine turns, it was asleep, but I didn't even catch it when it was asleep and with full health. Now that's luck.

Here is that shiny Lugia in all it's glory:

20150130_210957-1.jpg

I've decided my next target is Dialga and I hope it appears in less than 1,000 SR because the Eon Flute sequence will drive me insane haha

Last edited:

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
Reached 400 Dexnav encounters for Zorua- hoping i get him today to finish the CH. I haven't seen a shine in over a week, which i guess is from that one time i got seven shinies in one twenty four hour period. :/ Also I started Horde hunting for shiny sandshrew last week (been doing it off and on) i've passed 1100 encounters, so i'm about to go over odds (???) I think.
EDIT- I FINALLY GOT IT!!!!!
Zorua (Female) in a dusk ball. my timid sync worked!!!!!! I nicknamed it bluey and it took 562 encounters (dexnav, that is) so that was the longest dexnav hunt i've had so far. But alas i fiunally made it. Just in time for the CH too i belive?!?!?! can you put me on the list!!! :)
Next target i'm thinking is pacharisu or minun.

EDIT TWO- I didn't know we already did the year thingy so we should do multiples of 28 (esp since my next target was sandshrew)
Just did 205 Dexnav encounters for Minun :)

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I did 40 more horde encounters for my Shiny Plusle hunt this morning before work. I also did another 70 or so soft resets for my Shiny Reshiram attempt last night, and at least 55 soft resets for my Shiny Rayquaza hunt on Ruby version as well. Also, congrats to others on the new Shinies. :)

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
I've made the final update to January's CH completion list.

So.......it looks like the February CH is now between the Zodiac one, or the "multiples of 28" one.

The "multiples of 28" is currently in the lead (4 or 5 votes), and I admit I didn't remember last January we had a Zodiac hunt.......

Would be nice to see more opinion, especially from those who picked the Zodiac one. But keep it a civil discussion, okay ;)

shinycharizard06

DiversePokemonMaster
Well..just received a shiny numel nicknamed "hump day" through wonder trade...weird but hey free shiny and shiny mega soon so I like it.
Just checked and it has 6ivs and a modest nature. This is great

I like the multiples of 28 idea personally, it's different and has a nice variety

Last edited:

Sparky Mc-S

Let the sparks fly~
I voted for the Zodiac CH but didn't realize that it had been already done. I'd rather do the 'multiple of 28' hunt now, it's what I would've picked if I had known. Hindsight's 20/20 right? ^^;

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
No new shiny to report but plan to chain fish for Feebas in ORAS when I have the time.

On CH for this month I vote for 'multiple of 28' hunt sounds very original.

Prince Umbreon

Starfish and Coffee
So I was over at my friends' place, and I was doing some passive SRing while we were all watching the first few episodes of American Horror Story. Not even 30 minutes in, guess who finally decides to show up?

> Ho-Oh! <

After somewhere between 4000 and 5000 total SRs! It was actually really easy to get, only a Thunder Wave and two Luxury Balls later. I guess I overworried about it potentially Struggling to death, but it's better to be safe than sorry amirite?

The awesome news is, my Jolly sync worked, and it has 31 IVs in HP, Attack, and Speed. Like holy crap YES. Definitely worth all those hours! (Sorry for the poor quality, I was using my phone camera and I even forgot to up the brightness on my 3DS. Derp)

> VS Gallade <
> Amie <
> Stat Screen <

Can't get too much better than that, unless maybe it had 31 in SpDef instead of HP. Not complaining one bit though!

Now it's time to see if I can keep up the patience to try and SR for Suicune. I just recently learned that so long as I land on Trackless Forest within the last 20 minutes of the hour, Suicune will always appear from the portal until I soar away. So that will make it a lot easier, for sure. I was worried I'd only have that 20 minute window for each hour, and that would have gotten really annoying...

---

Anyway, the Community Hunt sounds fun. Zodiac sounds interesting, but since it's been done, I'll vote for the x28 idea. I'll see if I can't try for an Eevee, Ralts, Treecko, or Kabuto. :D

Good luck to all the hunters!

Last edited:

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Alright, last Shiny I filled any of you in on was Mamoswine, correct? Well, there's been a fair few more since then, and since I've basically more or less dropped off the face of this thread, I figured I might as well catch you all up. My return to Hoenn's been quite kind to me.

First, I was soaring on Mega Latios, going from Lilycove to where my Secret Base is. Or maybe from my Secret Base to Lilycove- it doesn't matter, it's one of those two. Anyway, I happen upon a flock of birds along the way, I fly into them, and next thing I know, I'm looking at a green Taillow. :)

Next, I was on Route 120, using DexNav to get some Oddish with good IVs, for breeding purposes. I think I was chaining them, though this might've been before I actually knew of the concept of DexNav chaining, so I'm not so sure these days. Anyway, point is, at one point, DexNav pointed me in the direction of a green Oddish. :) Evolved it into Vileplume, for those of you wondering (though those of you who know me will know of my affinity for Poison-types, so this shouldn't come as much of a surprise).

After that, I was soaring in the sky again. I think I was looking to see what mirage islands were in my game after BuzzNav updated or something. I saw a flock of birds, I flew into it as I tend to do, BOOM! Shiny Wingull! :)

Next one was a bit more expected- I was chain fishing on Route 119, in that particular spot under the bridge, and a little ways into it, BOOM! Shiny Feebas! :)

Not long after I had EV trained the resulting Shiny Milotic, I moved on to my next project- EV training a Thick Fat Tepig I had bred. This required lots of HP EVs, so it was off to Rusturf Tunnel with my Sweet Scent Illumise. No prizes for guessing this one- BOOM! Shiny Whismur in a horde! :)

Next attempt saw me chain fishing again, this time with a Super Rod in Seafloor Cavern. No, I don't know why I chose Seafloor Cavern, I guess I just wanted to try somewhere... exotic? Somewhere people don't ordinarily Shiny hunt? I dunno. Anyway, either way, it wasn't long before a Shiny Wailmer showed itself. :)

And finally, just yesterday, after hours of DexNav chaining, I come face to face with a Shiny Ditto. :) Limber instead of Imposter, but a Shiny is a Shiny. Honestly, I'm just glad I could catch this one. Anyone remember me mentioning the Shiny Ditto I had found in Gold? The one that made me waste all my Poké Balls before Struggling to death? Yeah, that one. I've basically just reclaimed it now, and it feels so good! :D Hell, I may go for a Shiny Corphish next, for that Shiny Crawdaunt I saw in the Battle Tower.

Swatski9

If my vote counts for anything, i'm voting for the multiples of 28. The only thing I see with the zodiac hunt is the fact that a lot of the animals too vaguely represent the zodiac animals. But that's my opinion. Hatching for a shiny Rotom now, about 100 eggs in. SRing for shiny Kyurem as well, about 200 SR. Good luck everyone!

Growlie19

I also would like to vote for the multiple of 28 hunt. Reason being, I got a shiny Numel in a horde a couple days ago, and that would be incredibly bad timing if this month was the zodiac hunt.

Vesuvius has a naive nature with defense being its best stat, though he has a 0 in HP. He also came with Hidden Power Grass to counter its weaknesses. I EV trained it to be a mixed attacker to take full advantage of Sheer Force, using Fire Blast, Earth Power, Rock Slide, and HP-grass. Its mega colors are really cool, too!

Good luck to everyone else hunting and congrats to all the recent finds! :)