• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

taufik386

shiny update from me,

got 3 shinies yesterday: shiny beautifly from friend safari, shiny sawk via dexnav, shiny mareep from horde encaunters.

and 7 shinies today: shiny numel from horde encounters, shiny clauncher, lunatone, goldeen, unown, baltoy and dwebble using dexnav.

my luck is so good today. after i got that shiny lunatone, i want to see it in a battle,
so i hit the search button for goldeen, and then shiny goldeen appeared :D
i LOLed at it. i didn't expect it to be shiny :D

next, i go for soaring mirage spot, and found unown cave.
and that luck still continue. i got shiny unown on the 3rd encounters.

following the luck, i fly to the desert area, and got shiny baltoy and dwebble under 30 encounters :D

well, congrat to everyone on your recent shinies, and good luck on your current hunting :)

Razorbadger

Congrats to taufik386 on Giratina, Ducklett and Sentret, Strongbad456 on Torchic, Keane on Cranidos, GooberTheAlmightyMudkip on Cresselia, Lunafloon on Yamask, RedJirachi on Zekrom, Azulart on Dratini, ChaoticInverse on Charmander, Tina on Liepard and Tranquil and everyone else on your shinies.

Thanks to Cpchris, Paraqua, Crimson Penguin and Keane for the congrats.

It's really great to see so many people who've been away from the thread for a while coming back and a bunch of long hunts coming to an end too :)

Since the abomination that was my Rattata hunt each stage of my Heart Gold BQ has been shorter than the last and today it continued that trend with a shiny Hoothoot appearing after just 2133 REs.

[IMG139]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/razorbadger/21f2fb7c-bff3-4045-af6a-b86e9f36b6ab_zpsbut2m4ie.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/razorbadger/7222e1b1-5341-4ce5-80c8-d8d657d1af60_zpszeihiils.jpg[/IMG139]

I know there was only a 15% chance but I'm really glad this wasn't a duplicate Rattata. Shiny Hoothoot and Noctowl both look excellent and also she continues to actually add a bit of balance to my team in this Badge Quest which is now starting to look like a fairly decent team. She has a bashful nature which I don't mind, neutral natured shinies are never a bad thing although I do seem to get them on a fairly regular basis. This also continues a string of under odds hunts for me, seven in a row across all my games stretching back to when I found Bagon over odds in my Omega Ruby. Considering my awful luck in the first few months of the year I think I deserve this upturn in fortunes honestly :p

Next in Heart Gold I'll be hunting for one of the Electrode at the Rocket Hideout in Mahogany Town. The Electrode don't have self destruct or explosion at the level that they are at and being able to hunt by running away rather than SRing makes it quite a nice hunt. First though to what I plan to be my last hunt in Omega Ruby, Reshiram.

Good luck hunting everyone :)

Last edited:

PegasusxSeiya

Shiny Hunter
Haven't posted in a few pages, so many new shinies! Congrats to everyone!

Well I'm still trying to complete my Nat. Dex in X to get my shiny charm. So I was doing some horde battling to evolve some Pokemon- and out pops a shiny Spinda! Totally unexpected, I wasn't even thinking about looking for a shiny in this game until I got my shiny charm. Good thing I had my sound on, because I was helping my brother with his resume while I spammed sweet scent and knocked out hordes. I heard the sparkles and snapped my attention back to the game in time to freak out and not faint the horde lol.

He's Hasty nature with Tangled Feet. No perfect IVs or anything, but I wouldn't be using a Spinda in battle anyway so that doesn't matter haha. Gotta love random shinies! I caught him in a Nest Ball to match his green color.

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
CH complete, last Tuesday caught a shiny Oddish in one of my grass safaris its a female with a timid nature and HA. Also this is my second time I encounter a shiny Oddish in Friend Safari only this time I didn't run away from it, so yay on reclaiming a lost shiny. Good luck on future hunts.

Phillies

Congratulations to everyone on their new shinies.

I managed to catch a female Pyroar & Fraxure this week. I also accidentally ran away from a Shelgon earlier this week and caught the Fraxure trying to reclaim it.

Good luck to everyone this week.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
. For those of you who have succesfully soft reset for a shiny pokemon, how long did it take you?

My soft resetting list...

Ledyba - Y - 1/4096 odds - 27,834 SRs
Regice - Black 2 - 1/8192 odds - 10,964 SRs
Registeel - White 2 - 1/8192 odds - 46 SRs
Virizion - White 2 - 1/8192 odds - 23,972 SRs
Cresselia - White 2 - 1/8192 odds - 10,820 SRs
Kyurem - White 2 - 1/8192 odds - 4,874 SRs
Terrakion - White 2 - 1/8192 odds - 9,203 SRs
Latias - White 2 - 1/8192 odds - 5,925 SRs

And now I'm 8,400 SRs into hunting heatran at White 2's Reversal Mountain. The ones in yellow are my longest and shortest SR hunts

Anyway...

Second shiny hawlucha caught in the flying safari at 554 encounters. She's sassy and mischievous, with Limber. Gonna send her into the GTS for a 'mon I need for my dex.

Heatran is at 8,400 SRs. Yanma is at 1,170 eggs and still refusing to shine for me.

Last edited:

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
Hey guys, I try to only post here once a week, but I have a question. My platinum game, the one I reset for Chimchar on, has forzen multiple times. It has frozen on loading up, on the bag, and when I'm talking to my rival. Do you think I would be better of buying another Platinum game? I really don't want to finally get my shiny and then have it freeze, or rest my game file or anything :/. I'm planning to get up to 20,700 Chimchar then stop, and probably hunt for Squirtle on FR again. I did 5k SR's before changing to Charmander, in July two years back, or MM Ralts on my OR. Thoughts?
~RaichuArcanine~

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Caught a shiny Pikachu and Numel. Both fully evolved now. Pikachu was caught by Dexnav chaining and Numel was caught from a horde battle.
Edit: Caught a shiny Feebas by chain fishing. It is now a Milotic.
Re-edit: Caught a shiny Tentacool by chain fishing. Evolved into Tentacruel.

Last edited:

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
It only took 1k+ HE's but i have finally made progress in my AS BQ....

This Shiny appeared after maybe 750+ HE's today. :)

[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/2AAEF3F7-49A8-44BF-89DC-ED3595FFA0C7_zpsxtuimvfu.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/115AB1F3-906A-4730-BEC6-F70291AEBCC2_zpsvmoo9rj1.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/DAAAE89B-912C-4837-9065-780789ECB29D_zpsiwpxy57h.jpg[/IMG139]

But that's not the last of the news. I went straight to work on EV training Shiny Skarmory, and no less than 30 HE's later, a 2nd Shiny Skarmory graced my screen.... what luck lol

[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/B69A2F4C-09CC-4503-8708-D45EFD899D3E_zpssjr4azbb.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/A07E8DC0-70E4-4368-91DB-E22A8C19458F_zps13e5zu1g.jpg[/IMG139]

As you can tell, it is a different Shiny Skarmory, there are different gendered Skarmory in the Horde picture and it was caught in a different ball/has a different nature too.

I've quickly wrapped up the Defense EV training and am now completing the EV training of it's HP stat in Petalburg Woods.

I will then challenge my father, Norman, and continue my progress to Fortree City wherein i will choose my next hunt. I'll also be keeping up the SR's for Shiny Heatran(OR w/SC) who has crossed the 1k SR's barrier and is definitely proving stubborn compared to some of my SR hunts, but it shall be mine.... sooner or later :D

Good luck everyone on your hunts. :)

Last edited:

JohnNiles

Hey guys, I try to only post here once a week, but I have a question. My platinum game, the one I reset for Chimchar on, has forzen multiple times. It has frozen on loading up, on the bag, and when I'm talking to my rival. Do you think I would be better of buying another Platinum game? I really don't want to finally get my shiny and then have it freeze, or rest my game file or anything :/. I'm planning to get up to 20,700 Chimchar then stop, and probably hunt for Squirtle on FR again. I did 5k SR's before changing to Charmander, in July two years back, or MM Ralts on my OR. Thoughts?
~RaichuArcanine~

How often does it freeze? You sure it's not a bootleg? Check in with the forum bootleg experts.

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
~RaichuArcanine~

Try cleaning it with cotton swabs (Q-tips) and small amounts of rubbing alcohol. It worked for me when I bought a used copy of Platinum which would sometimes freeze - it still sometimes needs a bit of convincing to get the DS to detect the game pack when you turn it on, but it doesn't freeze anymore.

Anyway, I'm still SRing for Eevee, albeit slowly. I'm on 1,888 SRs now.

Hi, I am currently soft reseting for a shiny Rayquaza in Soul Silver. I have been at it for 1-2 hours for 3 days. For those of you who have succesfully soft reset for a shiny pokemon, how long did it take you? How do you not lose hope in your efforts? Please, do not feel embarresed to share your story. And I am very sorry if this isn't the right place to put this, can you move it if that is the case? Thanks in advance.

Here's a list of mine:
Giratina - (I believe this took about 2,670 SRs and only a few days)
Lugia - 24,000 or so SRs (This took me several months, nearly a year, BUT, I did hunt very off-and-on)
Chikorita - 2,215 SRs (6,645 starters seen) (Took about a week - but you can check for three shinies in one SR, so say three weeks for that)

That's it - there's a huge range of difference (although there are only two real comparable Pokemon ^^;). Basically, I don't get discouraged, because shiny hunting's just one of the activities I like to do. I always tie it in with watching anime (which I'd do anyway), and the way I see it is, I like shiny hunting anyway, and whether I get the target I'm working on after 30,000 SRs, or switch to something else, at the end of the day, I'm still going to continue shiny hunting after I get a new shiny. Does that make sense? I don't really time it by the shinies I get, but more the activity itself. I would shiny hunt for a whole year, for example, whether I got three shinies or fifty - I've still put the same amount of time in and enjoyed it. I don't know if that's understandable or not though ^^;

Tina

Boy Skylark
Congrats taufik386 on all 10 of your shinies, Razorbadger on Hoothoot, PegasusxSeiya on Spinda, i2i on Oddish, Phillies on Pyroar and Fraxure, Cyberra on Hawlucha, Alexander18 on Pikachu and Numel, and kirkeastment on two Shiny Skarmorys!

Good luck to Razorbadger on Electrode and Roseheart95 on Eevee.

Thanks Razorbadger for the congrats!

@RaichuArcanine, if it was me I wouldn’t risk things on a iffy cart, especially shiny hunting. If you can’t fix it from the tips Roseheart suggested, my opinion is that you should get a new cart. c:

So I got to 1,356 REs in Celestial Tower for Litwick and 20,370 SRs for Archen in my Black. It's beaten my Lugia hunt as longest now.
I've also updated my B/W2 BQ cards and my shiny card!

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Well, I just caught my first shiny of the day.
I have been continuing to fish in route 103, still hoping for some shiny Tentacools.
....And I just caught another shiny Magikarp. I will still take it.
I have less time to fish today, but I still hope to do some more.

EDIT:

Another shiny Magikarp. Yay.
Come on, Tentacools....

EDIT 2:

Shiny Magikarp number Four. Woo.
Why are so many of them Lonely?

EDIT 3:

Number Five. So many shiny Magikarp.
At this rate, Magikarp will be like Claunchers back in my X Version.

Last edited:

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Well, after the long hunt that was Phase 5 of my AS BQ, Phase 6 came and went in a breeze, as a wonderful Shiny Wurmple appeared during my HP EV training of Shiny Skarmory..... This guy is 2 for 2 on Shiny Encounters whilst EV training :D

[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/2B26A1D6-0534-42AA-A88F-37AE864A2F32_zpsmr1e2cca.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/6FD3E028-C7CC-4220-AC3F-80FFE50C6AFE_zpshv32oqgt.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/A10D260E-925A-4924-A678-C9BD71B47EE0_zpslf4wpync.jpg[/IMG139]

This lil beauty will evolve into a Dustox for my team. It probably won't get priority on my team until the E-4, as atm i prefer to go with Crobat.

I've taken down Winona, and am on the way to Lilycove & i have decided that i need to go back to my roots.... and bring a fire type back into my team(i ditched my Torchic(Blaziken) asap so i could just use my Shiny Pokemon in the game. As such, my next hunt will be DexNav'ing a Shiny Vulpix at Mt.Pyre.

Good luck everyone with your hunts and congrats to all on their recent shinies.

EDIT:

Well that was a heck of a surprise. Whilst EV training my Shiny Wurmple, I was of course SRing for Shiny Heatran too, same as i have been the last few days. Anyway, after over 1500 SR's, Shiny Heatran shone and gave me a heart attack and a half, because it KO'd my MegaGross and i almost KO'd it when i had my Hydreigon use Dark Pulse and it put it down into the yellow in one shot. I in no way thought it would do that much damage, so i got scared it was gonna OHKO.

Thankfully it ofc did not OHKO the Shiny Heatran, and after a long battle wherein my Shiny Charizard stalled the crap out of it as i threw Dusk Balls, and after 16 Dusk Balls, Shiny Heatran was mine.

[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/9B46E7B3-E54F-4ED3-8602-583E97832A5F_zpsyedma71v.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/6F7FEBCE-7013-4B4C-BB35-6F58369231ED_zpste1iwak3.jpg[/IMG139]

Last edited:

TheMaster327

Took a little while, but after 1,052 eggs, this little one hatches!

[img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0060_zpspm3ci0f2.jpg[/img139]

Shiny Hoppip! He's Jolly from Everstone, with it's HA Infiltrator and egg moves Amnesia, Cotton Guard and Aromatherapy. IVs are 23/31/31/31/31/31 - would've preferred a perfect HP IV, but not complaining :)

Last edited:

Lunafloon

Shiny Hunter
(Back on my iPhone so sorry for any mistakes with spellings of usernames or whatnot!)
Congrats to Cyberra on Tranquill, Nacreous on Remoraid, RedJirachi on Zekrom?, Azulart on Dratini, Oarfish on Feebas/Feebas/Wailmer/Corphish/Corphish/Magikarp, ChaoticInverse on Charmander, Alexander18 on Magikarp/Wailmer, Cyberra on Skorupi, Tina on Liepard/Tranquill, Taufik386 on Beautifly/Sawk/Mareep/Numel/Clauncher/Lunatone/Goldeen/Unown/Baltoy/Dwebble, Razorbadger on Hoothoot, PegasusxSeiya on Spinda, i2i on Oddish, Phillies on Pyroar/Fraxure, Cyberra on Hawlucha, Alexander18 on Pikachu/Numel, kirkeastment on Skarmory/Skarmory, oarfish on Magikarp/Magikarp, kirkeastment on Wurmple and TheMaster327 on Hoppip!

And thanks to those who congratulated me on Yamask! It was a pretty special moment for me~ I'll be replying to Visitor Messages later!

On the topic of SR shinies, my shortest with full 1/8192 odds was 11 for Chimchar, and my longest was probably 10,000+ for a Honey Tree shiny which sadly I ended up abandoning temporarily. So it really is just luck and REALLY wanting it! You can do it! I find watching something like YouTube or TV helps too if your careful to check before each reset. I'm currently watch the Pokémon Black and White anime while I look for Sandile on Black 2 ^^

Anyways, decided to keep going again for Sandile on Black 2 in the end, just for 3000-5000 RE's, and then I'll probably move on to Mistralton Cave. I've done 735 RE's already so I'm feeling positive! Also doing Mudkip on AS on the side and finishing my Platinum playthrough with my shiny Infernale and Porygon-Z! Then, eventually, I plan to complete that Honey Tree hunt and finally go for Rotom too!

Good luck everyone!!!

Edit: Managed to hatch a shiny Happiny while hatching Pokémon to complete my National Dex on Y! Relaxed nature, but I wasn't really planning for her to show up ^^

[img139]http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af347/Lunafloon/Mobile%20Uploads/B0B19F0B-0EF4-42B6-808C-7282AE6FF559_zpsotjh1zed.jpg[/img139]

Last edited:

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to RedJirachi on Zekrom, Azulart on Dratini, ChaoticInverse on Charmander, Tina on Liepard and Tranquill, RazorBadger on Hoothoot, TheMaster327 on Hoppip, kirkeastment on Heatran, Lunafloon on Happiny, and everyone else on your shinies!

Sorry about that cursed Hoothoot luck, lytenin =\

-----------

Another 400 REs and 300 SRs yesterday…I’m trying, just nothing’s shining! Black 2 is at 8,900 REs, Platinum is at 3,800 SRs, and HeartGold has reached 10,000 HBs. No hunting today though. Ended up spending the first few hours of my day trying to set up OBS just in case I want to use it. And of course I’m still working on leveling up my HG shinies. Getting close on those! But for now, I'm off to work for the rest of the day :(

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Lorde, Shy, Ruru_star, sksilax1234, and Nakashima)!

Meowth City

Staff member
[IMG300]http://i.imgur.com/HqS6jNo.jpg[/IMG300]

It's been a while since I got a full odds/random shiny, but as I was hunting for Ralts with different natures for Synchronizing purposes, I encountered a shiny Budew in my Pokemon X game. I noticed the purple straight away before the sparkles appeared. I only had a shiny Roselia and Roserade up until now, so naturally, I'm quite happy to have finally completed the evolutionary line. Speaking of which, Budew can learn Nature Power by TM, which means... Community Hunt complete!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
On my Shiny Dunsparce Masuda Method hunt, I hatched nearly 80 more eggs since Saturday night, and I've also done close to 70 more soft resets for my Shiny Rayquaza hunt on Ruby version as well. Anyway, congratulations to oarfish, Cyberra, i2i, Razorbadger, and several others on the new Shinies. :)

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Heya everyone, long time no see! I've got a bit of a story to tell concerning my last shiny.

Basically, I was running around and SRing or REing some random things. I was being picky but I soon headed on over to where I could SR Camerupt and Sharpedo. I took my time getting all the little text out the way before saving. Then, mashing as fast as I could, I took the Camerupt and the Sharpedo. But without having even SRed once, one was shiny. Yes, a shiny Camerupt on the first attempt! I can get pictures to show you all but they'll need to be later...getting late here now!

And because Camerupt learns Nature Power by TM, that's Community Hunt Complete!

Good luck everyone, congrats to those with new shinies too.