• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

rovert

Exploding Biscuits!!
First of all, especially after seeing the wonderful 16 shiny completion of a Johto BQ (I forget who it was), I decided I was going to do a BQ on HG. I chose hunting for a starter because I enjoy all of them and it's probably the easiest hunt in gen 4. I've actually completed it a grand total of 7 times now (2 of which were fails and 4 of which were repeats) since after about 5 hours of SRing, I managed to finally get a shiny Chikorita. I named him Basil and he has a bold nature. I personally don't like special meganium, but I do really enjoy yellow meganium none the less. For those people who might be wondering the 7, I had gotten I believe it was 2 totodile (spread out over like a year), 3 cyndaquil spread out over like 40 minutes I think it was (2 of which I accidentally SRed over) on the same save file, another totodile (then a totodile via MMing on Y - which I still need to get a HA shiny one lol), and now finally chikorita.

I'm level grinding to beat Falkner with Basil and my HM slave Sentret right now, but I have already caught a ratatta and taught it rock smash so that I can rock smash hunt for a geodude in the ruins after I beat Falkner. I know my next hunts are going to be long and annoying, but I'm also determined to get this BQ done.

I have a question for all of you MM'ers.

How do yall hatch and store eggs?

I usually take 4 with my magby, then whenever I notice there is another egg, I take it and put it in the box, so I'm always churning out eggs while hatching some too. Since my Pokemon get along, I get eggs at a reasonable rate. How do all of you do it? My friend only takes one egg and every one he gets he stores so he fills up faster

I normally, after having flawless IV parents of course, have my shiny catching Farfetch'd in my party and just go back and forth in front of the day care (this is on Y). When I see he has an egg, I get off my bike and take the fastest route from the man to the PC and deposit the egg. Once I have a good number of boxes (which honestly, I can have up to like 10 boxes of eggs on that file thanks to Bank storing everything I really don't need on the save file), I go to Lumiose and bike around the gym in the infinite path. I've also found that as funny as it is, if I walk around my block twice (which is like 2.5 miles or something like that), I not only get some good exercise, but I also get very close to 4,000 steps on my 3DS which gives me nearly infinite hatching power 3. I know it's a lot of work at time, so it might not be the best method for anyone else lol

TheMaster327

So I'm now at 6,000 SRs/12,000 birds for Articuno/Moltres. As such, taking a much needed bird break. Only to hunt another bird in OR. Ho-Oh! At 250 SRs at present.

Congrats on all recent shinies :)

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats to wobbanut on Stantler and Zubat, eiger on the perfect IV Pawniard (glad to see you finally got one!), kirkeastment on Cranidos, Miltank, and Archen, Psychic on Abra and Espurr, Cyberra on Heatran, Pansage, Petilil, Cherubi, and Sandile, RedJirachi on Lugia, SkyMew on Eevee, DJX on Mudkip and Scatterbug, umbreonfan3636 on Shinx, darkpaladin2015 on Pansage, Phillies on Snorlax, Wingull x3, Yanma, Nosepass x3, Electrike, Nidoran♂ x2, Ekans, Stunky, Elekid, Happiny, Houndour, Shuppet, and Forretress, Cpchris on Shinx, SilverHybrid on Reshiram, Paraqua on Ralts, CharlieDoryRose on Latios, PrincessPeachy on Noibat, E.Fayth on Skorupi and Sandshrew, rovert on Chikorita, and anyone else I may have missed on your shinies!

Thanks to Cpchris, Lorde, and Razorbadger for the congrats, and thanks to AquaRegisteel for the luck!

I've been doing a lot of hunting over the past few days, but nothing to show for it sadly. Lugia is at 500 SRs, Bulbasaur is at 1200 SRs, Granite Cave is at 2100 REs, and Castelia Park is at 700 REs. I'm a little worried about the Lugia hunt as my shiny-catcher Smeargle is at level 40 and my shinies are all at level 35, while Lugia is at level 45 and can take out my Pokemon in two or three hits with each of its moves. I did a test run the other night and managed to catch it in a Heal Ball, but it was only a few moves away from struggling and I had to heal my Lapras every other turn (who has the highest SpD out of all my shinies) to avoid it getting knocked out. I absolutely hate grinding in this game because of the horrible level curve, so I may transfer some of my Pokes over to Diamond to level them up and prepare a bit better for the fight. I also have my Master Ball as a last resort, but I'm hoping to save it for Ho-Oh or Mewtwo, both of which I plan to hunt later in the BQ. At least my other hunts aren't nearly as stressful (although repel tricking in Castelia Park is tedious as heck). XD

Good luck to all of you on your hunts, especially Lorde, AquaRegisteel, and skilax1234!

After 757 eggs shiny Deino hatches!

It was weird because I was super confident that that would be the egg that hatched and it was!

Its Ivs are 31/31/31/31/x/31 and it is Modest.

Good luck to everyone on their hunts!

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
CH completion list updated.

I an surprised no one else made a suggestion. I would have liked to see other ideas. I understand it is more of a form exclusive, but could you add the Shellos line?

Ah yeah, Shellos line can also be counted as OR/AS exclusive, with the pink one available only in OR and the blue one available only in AS. I'll add that.

Dive Ball... DUH!!!

Mine is in Lure Ball :p
(MM-ed using a parent from my HG)

I have a question for all of you MM'ers.

How do yall hatch and store eggs?

I usually take 4 with my magby, then whenever I notice there is another egg, I take it and put it in the box, so I'm always churning out eggs while hatching some too. Since my Pokemon get along, I get eggs at a reasonable rate. How do all of you do it? My friend only takes one egg and every one he gets he stores so he fills up faster

Grab 5 eggs, put them in box, then go grab another 5 eggs, put them in box, I keep doing that until I have two boxes of eggs.

Then hatch them all when I have the time. Unfortunately two boxes per phase is all I can get now, back then when I have more time, I can go up to 4 boxes.

Martinzqx

I currently have 2857 sr's for my shiny Mewtwo. I am still going strong. It will shine at some point I just need to continue being patient. Congrats on the recent shinies, folks!

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
Got bored with SRs so I filled in my dex's gaps in X and got the shiny charm. After I received the charm, I celebrated by horde hunting in route 5 hoping for a Scraggy when, on horde 34, I got a nice teal Gulpin with a calm nature.

After clarifying with Shine I decided to start hunting some pink Shellos on OR as soon as I complete Uxie. Congrats to everyone on their shinies and good luck to anyone who has had a hard time hunting.

Razorbadger

Congrats to rovert on Chikorita, skilax1234 on Deino and everyone else on your shinies.

Well that was a quick turnaround between posting about not having found a shiny and then finding a shiny, after 13,678 REs a shiny Wooper has appeared and my Heart Gold BQ is half way to completion.

[IMG139]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/razorbadger/033d176e-bec7-4eac-b305-28c032c7a41d_zpsvpvrs9ih.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/razorbadger/7d391361-45fb-4118-a3d7-cdfd395ce72f_zps4qut36wg.jpg[/IMG139]

Yay, I avoided finding a Quagsire despite the mess I made of planning this hunt. Wooper is one of my favourite shinies and i'm so happy to have this guy, it's sprite when you send it into battle in HGSS is the most adorable thing. As an added bonus he has an adamant nature which couldn't be better for him especially as I have no intention to evolve him so he needs all the help he can get stat wise.

As I said this marks the half way point in this Badge Quest. The first eight shinies on this file have seen four found under odds and four over with hunts varying in length from just 324 RAs for Electrode to the 42,661 RE Rattata that I still haven't really stopped complaining about. Moving onto the Kanto badges and my ninth hunt will be for Ho-Oh at the Tin Tower. First though to my White 2 where I'm hunting Mareep at Floccesy Ranch whilst dreaming about the possibility of a 5% Riolu.

Good luck hunting everyone :)

Shiny Lord

Now at 4,000 sr for Mewtwo in Heartgold and at a whopping 2,300 for Regirock with shiny charm. Just want something to shine. I'm stunned that Regirock hasn't shone by now.

Scrufox86

Hi all. Been a while but I have some shiny news. Firstly congrats to all new shinies since my last post. Secondly I have managed to capture a shiny Fraxure and a little later a shiny Breloom from friend safaris. I did actually get these a while ago but kept forgetting to post on here. Well anyway congrats once again on all new shinies since my last post and good luck shiny hunters!

Ketaru

Finally, it took approximately 600 eggs, but here it is: Shiny Piplup. I was getting eggs during the entirety of the Lord of the Rings trilogy- THE EXTENDED VERSION! And never got it. But here it is, finally.

shinypiplup.jpg

Cyberra

pain in the ***
A much shorter hunt than cherubi ^_^

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/249_zpsbil1nmf2.jpg[/img139]

Shiny yamask after 732 eggs! He's relaxed and somewhat vain, with Mummy. I've already begun training him and will evolve him to cofagrigus once I'm finished. Or he might evolve during. We'll see ^_^ He's named after the famous Egyptian king; I was not sure the name would fit, but it did with one space to spare.

Next MM hunt will be darumaka.

Azelf is at 1,500 SRs. Unown ?/! are at 1,200 REs. Darumaka is at 0 eggs.

Edit: Well, that was quick...

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/253_zpsdfn9beyn.jpg[/img139]

After only 56 eggs, darumaka shines. He's jolly and likes to thrash about, with Hustle. Training is underway, and then he'll be evolved.

Next target: cranidos

Last edited:

Ketaru

Just got my first completely random, unintended shiny ever. It's just a Zigzagoon, but hey- a shiny's a shiny!

shinyzigzagoon.JPG

TheGOAT

Mac-Daddy
Taking a break from Tyrunt. Going to work on filling the dex to earn my shiny charm. I have a Loooong way to go. Wish me luck!

Also! Congrats everyone to their shinnies! Tall are very lucky!

darkpaladin2015

Shiny Hunter
Big blanket congrats on all shinies recently! Cant name them all, but a few I remember include: Darumaka, Yamask, Piplup, Zigzagoon and Wooper.

My BQ #2 is currently underway. After deliberating for a while, I eventually settled on Route 4 (more for the fact there's no way I can get a Bunnelby there). Because Combee is on that route, I traded over a male Sylveon with Cute Charm from my AS game. However, knowing my abysmal luck recently, I'll still probably end up with a shiny Male Combee.

So far I've done ~2600 REs. Still quite early. As long as this hunt doesn't take anywhere near as long as the last one, I'm happy. :)

Good luck to everyone hunting, especially those with exceptionally long hunts!

Great! A shiny topic, what I've been looking for <3. First of all, GG for those who have found their shinies. As far as I'm concerned I'm hunting Rayquaza on Emerald and I've done 5700 flees. I do want him to appear now x).

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I had done 502 SRs since I got my pink Lugia. 4802 SRs in total for Mesprit. And today, literally the first encounter and I got me a glorious golden Mesprit. But there was a catch-I forgot to re-add False Swipe to my Pinsir while I was at the Battle Maison. My best bet was to use Storm Throw, due to both no STAB bonus, a certainty of the crit, and Mesprit's resistance. I got down to yellow health, then summoned Electrode to paralyze it. And after Electrode went down, my Imposter Ditto would stall. And yes, I did it. I got Mesprit. Ain't it cool!

Tomorrow, I will obtain the final shiny lake trio member, Azelf. Right now, I need to test future legends. And my trade has worked. I had to sacrifice my Salamence, but in return I got a Lv 100 Raticate with Super Fang. I won't have to use my Y Masterball on Registeel, just in case I finally get through Street Pass Latios. BTW, could someone please give me the Eon Ticket through Street Pass

After Azelf, I just have to get me Registeel and Kyurem, and the shiny legend hunt in AS is done. Yeah, I know I have Kyurem already, but that's a trade. I want a Kyurem I earned, and that Kyurem will serve as barter to the fabled event shinies

Cyberra

pain in the ***
?!?!?

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/259_zpsny4t2n30.jpg[/img139]

...I don't quite know what to say. I was only 1,681 soft resets into the hunt, looking down at my screen, and suddenly I see blue and gold and sparkles. When I saw it all I could do was just stare.

Azelf was quite a stubborn bugger. Broke out of a dozen ultra balls, seven or eight timer balls, and killed my lunatone twice. Finally I just threw the master ball. That was the last of the master balls I traded over from Black 2; after catching azelf I went down to the Plasma Frigate on route 18 to beat the snot out of Colress and get the other White 2 master ball from him. (And I still want to take a pair of pruning shears to that guy's hair...)

I'm now set up in front of uxie and ready to begin the hunt.

Nature!
[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/260_zps6gepimz7.jpg[/img139]

Stats!
[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/261_zpslvranojp.jpg[/img139]

SPARKLES!
[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/262_zpsjl4folwt.jpg[/img139]

Cranidos is at 80 eggs. Solaceon Ruins is at 1,600 REs.

Last edited:

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Not a very exciting week for me for shinies.

First off, I caught ANOTHER shiny zubat in a horde, this time on Victory Road on OR. That's two weeks straight. -_-

Then, because I got tired of getting nothing in that Pokemon Village in Y, I went fishing and got my only fresh shiny of the week, a poliwhirl. I haven't decided what I'll evolve him into, but maybe politoed because I've always preferred it over poliwrath.

Then in OR again, I got my third shiny numel in a horde on the Fiery Path.

Then my HeartGold game apparently decided to make up for making me spend so long outside Ecruteak City by giving me another shiny: a noctowl, the only shiny noctowl I caught but the 5th I've caught in the line.

And in other news, my DS with the broken hinge apparently finally decided to call it quits today, because the top screen stopped working, so now I'll just stick to my two remaining DS's, the 2DS, and the 3DS for playing games.