• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Hey guys, great to see the shinies flying around as per usual.

Recently, I nabbed myself a Male Combee and a Barbaracle in the FS.

However, last week I managed to get a shiny Zubat on Platinum after 594 REs! It's a beauty of a shiny, and I nicknamed her Morgan. I can't recall the nature (might have been Bold) but she has Inner Focus as her ability.

Congrats and good luck everyone!

On a sobering note, may Satoru Iwata rest peacefully. Thanks to him, we got Kanto and Johto in G/S in the same game. Such a great man, R.I.P.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I did 70 more horde encounters in Alpha Sapphire last night, but found no Shiny still. I've resumed my Shiny Rayquaza hunt in Ruby these past few days as well and I did almost 100 more soft resets for it, so I'm still going strong. Good luck to Martinzqx, Cpchris, and others as well by the way.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
...I don't... what...
WTH is this luck?!

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/278_zpsnhnglucb.jpg[/img139]

Only 1,169 soft resets... 1,169 soft resets! That's faster than azelf, and this is my third shiny legendary this month! How... I'm still in shock o.o

When it appeared I think my squawk of surprise startled my father. After a few minutes just gawking at it I fumbled the elastic off the DS and got down to the business of catching. Four False Swipes got it down to 1HP, then I switched out to lunatone. Had to put uxie to sleep three times... First two times it woke up after only one turn. It broke out of maybe 8 or 9 ultra balls before I switched over to timer balls. First timer ball shook once, opened. Second shook three times, popped open. Third shook once, twice, three times, click. Mine. I named it after the Japanese god of teaching and writing. Seemed appropriate, since uxie is the "knowledge pokemon."

Nature!
[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/279_zpswfzwwg7s.jpg[/img139]

Stats!
[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/280_zps2xzppgyt.jpg[/img139]

SPARKLES!
[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/283_zpsrgr5hltn.jpg[/img139]

Now the only one left is mesprit. I'm already set up in front of it at the Celestial Tower. Let's see how long it takes for mesprit to join its companions in my shiny box.

Mesprit is at 0 SRs. Omanyte is at 380 eggs.

Psychic

Really and truly
Congrats on all the new shinies, and best of luck to those hunting!

Today I resumed my FS hunt to get a full shiny Meowstic family, and I encountered another shiny Abra! This time I remembered a synchronizer, so this one is Modest! (I can evolve her without feeling guilty, yay!) Abra is female and has Inner Focus, and I used a Dusk Ball again because I was paranoid she'd wake up and teleport away.

Now to keep looking for my psychic kitties!

~Psychic

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Cyberra on Cranidos, Paraqua on Ralts, Shiny Lord on Regice, DJX on Buizel, AquaRegisteel on Zubat, Cyberra on Uxie, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks for the luck, Lorde :)

-----------

Worked on my starter hunts today. 300 SRs for Johto starters and 100 SRs for Chimchar, bringing them to 5,500 SRs and 2,800 SRs respectively. Just 37 more SRs until this is my longest Johto starter hunt (my first Totodile was found after 5,536 SRs). Still wondering when I’ll get the typical Johto starter luck I see most people get (like under 1k), given that this is my 5th hunt for one and my quickest one was 2,684 SRs. I don’t really mind too much that it’s at 5.5k SRs, I just find it odd that a strong majority of Johto starters are found much quicker and not 1 of my 5 Johto starter hunts has been that quick :p

YES. YESSS. A second Shiny Bronzor on Black 2 after 6,327 REs! 327th RE of the day! Though my more extreme luck seems to have faded, clearly some of that luck is still hangin in there! And Bronzor shiny line complete :p

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/J6VChBY.jpg?1[/IMG200]

Quiet nature, Sturdy body, Levitate ability, and IVs: 0 – 21 -25 – 12 – 10 – 18. So I was very correct to evolve my first one :p

I was Magnet Pulling, so I’m glad it paid off. The next time I hunt in the Shrine, I think I’ll be repel-tricking to try to get Vulpix (one more Marill would be okay, but I’m absolutely gonna continue until I get another Vulpix). Scared I’ll get a Golduck though…Honestly, if I could get a shiny Psyduck at Flocessy Ranch without much trouble, I’d be fine with a Golduck…

After that…I’ll probably say good-bye to the shrine! I’ll still need another Swablu/Altaria (which I can get Altaria when I repel-trick Absol – or even 100% repel trick for Altaria at the shrine if necessary), and I’m sure I’ll have plenty of chances for another Cottonee, at Lostlorn Forest (along with Swadloon…Ugh…Expecting that one to be Magby 3.0…Machoke is already Magby 2.0). And I still have a good chance for one when I hunt Vulpix, I think.

Also my first full box of shinies on a game is completed! 30 shinies and I’ve done about 225k REs…That’s under odds :D A bit over 7.5k/shiny!

I’ve started hunting in Mistralton Cave and have done 200 REs there, but…I’m wondering if I should change my plan up a bit. I’m going to go after Roggenrola soon anyways since I want to complete the evolution line and it’s the only place on Black 2 for it. Then if I find Roggenrola immediately, I could go hunt Boldore on Victory Road where it’s 80%. And after that, I can repel trick for Aron/Axew (with Magnet Pull if I get an Axew and still need Aron) back in Mistralton Cave. If while hunting Roggenrola (34%), I find a Woobat (31%), I could wait until I find Roggenrola and then head to Wellspring where it’s 50/50 for Boldore and Woobat. Then if I get Woobat first there as well, I can go to Victory Road for Boldore, then back to Mistralton for magnet pull/repel trick.

It seems like it’s my best bet to start with Roggenrola if only to see if I’m going to end up with a Woobat. At this point, I wouldn’t even mind one, it’s more the fact that it’s 2 more shinies (plus additional phases) for me to get in a long list of hunts…

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Lorde, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, ChaoticInverse, AquaRegisteel, RedJirachi, TheMaster327, and Nakashima)!

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
Trying to horde hunt on Route 10 in X, but I swear it rains at Route 10 more often than not so I will be swapping to 11 whenever yhe rain rolls in. Good luck everyone and a huge congrats to Cyberra on another fast SR hunt with that Uxie.

SoulOfSilver

Gym Leader
I've been playing through Platinum again recently and I caught a shiny Snover! It's the first shiny I've ever caught in a Gen 4 game. It's funny because a few minutes before I found him, it randomly popped in my head that shiny Snovers had blue instead of green and I liked that design. Then one popped up! So I appropriately named him Blue. Can't wait to transfer him to Gen 6 and use a shiny Mega Abomasnow.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Had an Horde Encounter with a shiny Swablu, killed accidentally because I wasn't paying attention. Met a shiny Unown in OrAs when trying to get them all.. I caught that..

Cyberra

pain in the ***
And another MM has ended ^_^

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/291_zpsb72ngekr.jpg[/img139]

Shiny omanyte after 594 eggs! He's timid and mischievous, with Swift Swim. Gonna train and evolve him later, after I finish tonight's leg of the FS hunt ^_^ Think my next one will be either tirtouga or more likely the hard-to-spot anorith.

Mesprit is at 400 SRs. Solaceon Ruins is at 3,200 REs.

And omanyte is on the CH list, so... Community hunt complete x3!

LilyValley

Useless Sceptile
Goodness, it sure has been a long time since I've been here. I was over hunting but now I'm back again, and my dreams today indicated that I should hunt. For now I'll dual hunt Kyogre and Groudon, then possibly Buneary after I get the weather trio or I feel the need to begin something new.

SkyMew

Just remembered a random Shiny I found some days ago in Pokémon Y.

A Cubchoo in a horde. I was EV-training my Shiny Legendaries.

Was able to catch it.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?

Y-Pestis

Taking it slooooooow
Congrats on all the wonderful shinies, everyone!

Today I'm super excited because I achieved my first ever self bred shiny! At just 76 eggs this adorable little kitty shone for me:

DSCI0171.jpg

She’s in a dream ball with her HA, three egg moves and three IVs in defense, special attack and speed. I'm so happy!!

Shiny Lord

Mewtwo at 5,600 sr in Heartgold(Hope it shines soon) Tornadus is at 800 sr in Omega Ruby(have shiny charm) Hope something shines soon.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to SoulOfSilver on Snover, Locormus on Unown, Cyberra on Omanyte, Synnett on Magnemite, Y-Pestis on Skitty, and everyone else on your shinies!

-----------

I was about to go with my Relic Passage plan – went over there and saved to start hunting there…But then I realized Axew and Aron are the only ones left at Mistralton Cave as I’m clearly going to be hunting elsewhere for Boldore. So it sort of makes more sense for me to just finish up at Mistralton Cave by finding those last 3 shinies before hunting Roggenrola…So that’s where I am – Mistralton Cave, Lv. 29 repel trick to find Axew and Aron. Given that it’s 50/50 for them, I’m hoping the last Axew I need will shine by the 3rd time so I don’t have to do phases for it. If I find it before I get my other two Aron, I’ll do a magnet pull repel trick.

I’m surprised at how long the encounters can take since the repel trick still leaves 40% of the original encounter rates. Though it also seems that changing directions while staying in one spot doesn’t trigger encounters the same way as it does in Gen 4…I went 45 seconds doing that with no encounter. Not sure if there’s something in particular I’m missing with it. But it seems I’ll need to work on getting money for super repels.

I still have about 1.1M left, but it looks like I get about 5 REs/repel, which means 5k REs for 1k supers, which means ~500k money/5k REs. And since I have at least one repel trick here, plus another for Vulpix, and then if I do Eevee sometime a little later, plus anything else…I REALLY need to get some money.

I did a test though…I set my game to challenge mode (so happy the game I wanted happened to have challenge mode and not easy mode…Though I wish both were available on the same game without needing the other) and went through the E4, which gives ~109k money. It took me 23 minutes to complete it (including the cutscene after beating Iris). Then I went to Black Tower, since there are rich people in there. I decided to give Level 6 a shot and see how it went…18 minutes later, I’m 182k richer! Next time I try it, I finish in 12 minutes and get 156k.

As I said earlier, 1k super repels appears to give me about 5k REs, and costs 500k. I can apparently get over 500k in about an hour at Black Tower, though I certainly can’t do 5k REs in even a week. So it’s looking pretty optimistic as far as me being able to afford enough super repels to do a bunch of hunts…Hell, I might even be able to afford to waste Max repels for all these hunts if I can even do just a run a day…

Also reconsidering future hunts *again*. My current Aron, while it has 25 IVs in attack, has a Timid nature, which is nearly the worst nature for it (+Speed, -Attack). So I feel like it’s most likely not going to be the best of 3 to evolve into Aggron. Which means it’s just as well off an Aron as it is a Lairon. Which means I could just go after Lairon. Which is what I’m thinking of doing :) A magnet pull hunt in Clay tunnel seems nice. There’s a 20% chance of Durant and 15% of Lairon, the only two steel types. I wouldn’t mind a Durant, too – it’s one I’ve thought seems nice but never sure if I’d get around to it. And then if I find a Durant, I can just use a repel trick to get rid of future Durant. So I might end up here after I get my third and final Axew.

Also, now that I’m doing a repel trick for Aron/Axew, I’ve had to leave myself a little note behind my webcam reminding me that Aron has Roar. Usually I’m leading with a Lv. 100 pokemon and I haven’t had to even really think about it (and I haven’t been in an area with those types of pokemon on my gen 4 games), but with a repel trick, my lead would cause me to fail it if it roared…Hopefully I’ll remember to switch out Staryu should an Aron appear!

Shiny Bronzor video is up!

Did 300 REs today, but that’s all I have time for…Black 2 is at 600 REs, Platinum is at 3,200 REs, and HeartGold is at 4,600 REs. I’m working Friday and Saturday morning, as well as going back at night, so I won’t have as much time to hunt on those days :(

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Lorde, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, ChaoticInverse, AquaRegisteel, RedJirachi, TheMaster327, and Nakashima)!

First of all, I would like to Congratulate everyone here who found a shiny recently, there have been so many nice ones!
About the Aron I was hunting a while back, I eventually got it , but it took me over 2000 horde encounters, so I was happy about that.
But now for the news I'm really here for. I started a Pokemon X Wonderlocke recently and encountered Pokerus in game (not through a wondertrade), which is rare in itself for a nuzlocke. But what happened next is almost unheard of ( at least i think so ). I was training on Route 19 i think it was and I encountered a Shiny Karrablast!
Naturally, I called Shiny Clause and caught it. Im still in shock to this very moment after my second truely random shiny ever!
Good luck everyone in your hunts!

Hey quick question here!
So, I'm breeding for shiny fennekin and I want to switch the pokémon to get higher stats, but here is the deal;
does the masuda method take effect, if I breed pokémon from Spain copy and Japanese copy even though my copy is english version?

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Hey quick question here!
So, I'm breeding for shiny fennekin and I want to switch the pokémon to get higher stats, but here is the deal;
does the masuda method take effect, if I breed pokémon from Spain copy and Japanese copy even though my copy is english version?

Absolutely. The MM works based on the nationality of the Pokemon. As long as the Pokemon came from different language games / countries (English + Japanese, Spanish + Japanese, etc.), the MM will work.

Hopefully that explanation helped :)

@below poster I knew that, but the language is all that matters.

Last edited:

LLR

Vivillon Trader
Absolutely. The MM works based on the nationality of the Pokemon. As long as the Pokemon came from different language games / countries (English + Japanese, Spanish + Japanese, etc.), the MM will work.

Hopefully that explanation helped :)

I think this gen they changed it so the Pokemon have to have different language tags. If your Spanish game is being played in Spanish and the Japanese one in English yes it works.

If they are both being played in English I don't think so.