• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
I would, but the only idea I have right now has been suggested, so.......:p

Anyway, the suggestions:

Which one you all prefer?

The CH should already be updated tomorrow.
Again, the two suggestions vary on being specific with fewer targets to a more random list. I dont know which I prefer, but I message when I make a decision.

Platina2000

Shiny... Shiny!! SHINY RESHIRAM!!! FINALLY PAID OFF!! *exhausted*

20150803_164729_zpstaulqc8h.jpg

Synnett

Stuff
If you pick the number 8 hunt, that is 135 pokemon to choose from. Maybe be a bit more specific about that one?

I'm a bit hasty, but if Rapidash is in either of the hunts I might give it a shot.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Second shiny ariados caught in the poison safari after only 49 encounters in the second leg of the hunt. She's gentle and alert to sounds, with Insomnia. Gonna send her out to surprise someone else in the wonder trade system.

(Since ariados is number 168 in the dex, if we choose the number 8 hunt for the CH then I've already completed it twice)

Regigigas is at 2,400 SRs. Lickitung is at 390 eggs.

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
Lots of updates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got a shiny basculin, red. sigh... if, somewhere out there, somehow, there is somebody who finds any value in this shiny, please message me and i will happily nickname and give it to you.

Not 20 encounters later, about half an hour in i got my target!!!! SHINY DRAGONAIRE!!!! that's a 5% chance shiny guys!! SO EXCITED ABOUT THAT!!! i'm so happy. She has a down attack up defense nature, so i'll make her a special attacker (although i never use my shinies competitively i still like getting them set up to do so)

I wasn't sure what to do so i had my girlfriend pick my next hunt and she picked Spheal. I figured i could horde hunt it in shoal cave in OR, and the only other horde possible is zubat which i've also wanted a shiny of so i figured why not? either way i'm happy.
Well, 65 total encounters in (13 hordes, mixed between spheal and zubat) I got a shiny zubat!!!!!!!!! Took like half an hour to catch it because i've never done horde catches before and i will forever doubt myself when it comes to selecting which pokemon is the shiny one, but I love shiny crobat!!!! Named him Skittles, and am now hoping for Spheal- if i get another zubat i'll either give it to my girl or offer it up on here for anyone interested (or the trade forums) might edit this with pics later.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
If you pick the number 8 hunt, that is 135 pokemon to choose from. Maybe be a bit more specific about that one?

.....well, maybe. I'm still waiting for more votes just to be sure, I'll update the CH tonight (currently it's 2PM in my location, I'll check again at around 10-11PM)

darkpaladin2015

Shiny Hunter
Big well done to recent shinies! Can't remember them all, but ones that stick in my mind include: Minccino, Kabuto, Ariados and Vulpix. Sorry if I've missed you!

I bring news, and it is definitely bitter sweet :p

After only a couple of days of hunting, shiny Suicune falls gracefully from its hoop and into my Alpha Sapphire. This (insert profanity here) just would not catch!! It broke out of all 27 Dive Balls lobbed at it, even with a crit capture (and I really wanted to have it in one!). It too broke out of 5 premier balls. By this time, the battle had had well over 30 turns, and its HP was in lower yellow. Despite this, it STILL broke out about 10 timer balls. At this point, I was starting to doubt I would catch it. No other shiny legend has ever been so resilient. Then, finally, a timer ball caught it. To add salt into the wound over the hard capture, synchronise had failed and I ended up with Sassy :( Then I thought "Well, maybe its IVS are good!" So I went to the IV man, and of course it has 'outstanding' potential, but its IVs are in attack, defense, speed....it's almost laughable. But still, I'm really happy I have my shiny Suicune, even wit everything said.

Good luck to those hunting

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
I'm honestly surprised at the number of people who prefer the number 8 hunt. Well, that means it is the CH for this month xD

I'll update the first post in a few minutes, and I'll update the CH completion list tomorrow. It's 11PM in here :p

Claus351

Well I TRIED to do pics..

I tried uploading pics but it only lets me do one per post which is weird cos i've seen plenty of posts with multiple pictures, so idk. idk man. idk.

Anyways, 1300 horde encounters later, i found my Spheal! Nicknamed him Kyori, after my stuffed seal.
150804_0007.jpg
i'd put more pictures up of my Dragonaire, mega gardeviore and steelix, basculin, and zubat, but it doesn't want to work for me.
Also, if the community hunt is pokemon with the number 8 in their number i already completed it with dragonaire :))

LilyValley

Useless Sceptile
This is sort of irrelevant, but I just got Pokérus all on my own in OR! I've made preparations to hatch a shiny Chimchar, and I've been EV training my Legendaries. I may start Chimchar before I EV train everyone that needs it, but I can pick it back up later.

EDIT: I decided to begin my Chimchar hunt, and I don't expect to find anything very soon. I'm at 30 eggs, because breeding in ORAS is so different from X and Y and I am having difficulty getting used to it.

Last edited:

TheMaster327

Well, my SoulSilver is proving it's better than Platinum in giving shinies!

[img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0062_zpstb58glm9.jpg[/img139][img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0063_zpsal1ktpkf.jpg[/img139][img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0064_zpsv2qzcxnf.jpg[/img139][img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0065_zpsxpr84gwl.jpg[/img139][img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0066_zpswuvioqhk.jpg[/img139]

A beautiful green-tailed Mewtwo appeared only 10 SRs into tonight's session! 3,610 SRs total :). It proved to be a pain to catch, KOing my sleeper many times (my team was only mid-50s for this), and it did end up Struggling. Which is why I left it on over 25% health. So I could Master Ball it. I'll work out IVs in a bit, but congrats on the recent shinies, especially AquaRegisteel's Liepard and Twilit_Argorok's Solosis (even though you didn't want it!)

EDIT: IVs: 11, 12 / 16, 17, 18 / 19 / 20 / 3 / 7. Not as good as I was hoping...

Last edited:

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Does my shiny Magnemite/Magneton count in the CH? I got it not long ago. (#81 - #82)

It wouldn't, if it was before August it cannot count. Each CH is for a specific month, so the number 8 idea is exclusive to August 2015 alone.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
After only 541 REs, I find another shiny in the poison safari. But not another ariados, not this time. This time it was...

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/361_zpss1rphfkh.jpg[/img139]

...a shiny cascoon! Now I just need toxicroak... Cascoon's nickname is very "meh". She's lonely and takes plenty of siestas, with Shed Skin. Won't know if she's HA or not until I evolve her. Which I am going to do now.

Cascoon is dex no. 268, which means community hunt complete X3! (I've already caught two ariados, dex no. 168)

Regigigas is at 2,600 SRs. Lickitung is at 540 eggs.

Edit: Turns out that I did get the hidden ability. Cascoon evolved into a Compound Eyes dustox.

Edit #2: After 639 eggs, I find a yellow lickitung staring at me from my 3DS screen!

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/365_zps3hel51d9.jpg[/img139]

She's careful and likes to thrash about, with Own Tempo. I was hoping for Oblivious, but that's easy enough to fix (I splurged on ability capsules during the Global Link sale). Gonna get her trained and evolved. Next MM will be wailmer/wailord

Lickitung is dex no. 108. Which makes her community hunt complete x4!

Last edited:

eiger

Shiny Hunter
Caught myself a shiny Regirock yesterday! Only had been SRing for about 4 hours, so thats pretty quick!
Its impish with perfect stats in Speed, Attack & Sp. def. Defense blows tough, only 2-3 IV :(.

Now I'm onto Regice. Hard one to see if its shining or not. Hopefully I won't accidentally SR it.

Good luck to you all!

StrongBad456

Beginning Trainer
I decided to get Alpha Sapphire digitally and have been SRing for a shiny starter, a mudkip, and I finally got it after only a couple of days. I missed it coming out of the Poke ball but looked at the screen and was amazed to see a purple Mudkip. Congratulations to people who got shinies and Good Luck hunting.

darkpaladin2015

Shiny Hunter
Big congratulations to TheMaster327 on Mewtwo, Cyberra on Cascoon and Lickitung and eiger on Regirock, and everyone else on your shinies!

So, since getting shiny Suicune, I moved onto my next SR legend hunt (for something I've wanted for quite a long time, have hunted in the past, and never been successful).

Not precisely sure on the number of soft resets (as I wasn't counting), but I'm pretty sure it was less than 1000, something decided to appear on my Alpha Sapphire...

I was rewarded with........Heatran with the pink eyes!!! :D I love this shiny! Just love the pink eyes! Compared to Suicune, this was a very quick capture, snagging it in the 3rd repeat ball thrown. My Timid synch worked, with perfect IVs in attack (yuk) special attack and special defense. Unfortunately, its only 'above average', which means its other stats must be pretty poor. I never seem to have any luck with stats and IVs on my legendary shinies :p

Not sure what to hunt for next, or if I will even do another legend hunt next. Good luck on current hunts!

P.S Oh, just checked, Heatran's number is 485, so community hunt complete! :D

Claus351

I actually found someone online who had a frogadier water fs, so i decided to try hunting for it in there.
One day later, i have two shinies- the only other two pokemon in the flipping safari. I am now the kind of proud owner of a shiny floatzel, and a shiny krabby. I just want my black greninja...
I named Krabby Cancer after my sign, and Floatzel Tails after the sonic character. They're both yellow gold.. and my timid sync worked on both of them lol. watch it not work on frogadier XD i guess i should be grateful though, as i've seen 7 shinies this month so far. :)

Also can someone answer me a question?
what do you guys do with shinies after you get them? I feel a little empty just putting them in a box after i EV train them. I feel like there should be something more, like i don't feel accomplished enough just getting one, because then i just go straight to the next hunt.

Last edited:

LilyValley

Useless Sceptile
Just now, on egg 195 pops out a shiny Chimchar. Male, Jolly with Blaze and perfect IVs in all but Special Attack and Speed. Maybe next I'll try and get myself a shiny Magikarp, by hatching one. For now I'll do my best to EV train and level up my legendaries.