• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

shiny_hunter5

anyone shiny hunting on 4th gen?

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion

I am certainly hunting on 4th Gen. I think 4th Gen is actually my favourite generation of games for shiny hunting on.

The wide variety of legendaries available makes it a really nice option for hunting. I'm not going to try and undermine the shinies beyond 5th generation (my second favourite), but I feel they're more personally valuable to me than 6th Gen shinies (the lower odds in 4th and 5th give them a different sense of rarity to me).

But yes, Sinnoh is my favourite region, Platinum is one of my favourite games with HGSS both a close second, so 4th gen is my preferred generation for hunting.

(I would most certainly still hunt on 6th Gen, but I find I burn out far quicker on those games)

Jack5326

I cannot believe it! Just got back into Pokemon and I'm MMing Growlithes on Pokemon X. FIVE eggs in and I am now the proud owner of an Adamant, Female, Shiny Growlithe! It has Flare Blitz and Morning Sun as egg moves and is in a Fast Ball. I feel so lucky that it came out female!

Then I checked the IVs... 31/31/31/X/31/31. I am speechless!

11755454_10153596274528169_5341966939815767893_n.jpg

Last edited:

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio

I am just in the process of speed running my Eng HG(which i just got Shiny Chikorita on) so i can SR for a Shiny Kyogre.

I want to get as many Shiny Legends as possible, and i'm attempting to do so in groups & Kyogre will get me 2/3 of the way to the weather trio, as i already own a Shiny Groudon.

shiny_hunter5

I am just in the process of speed running my Eng HG(which i just got Shiny Chikorita on) so i can SR for a Shiny Kyogre.

I want to get as many Shiny Legends as possible, and i'm attempting to do so in groups & Kyogre will get me 2/3 of the way to the weather trio, as i already own a Shiny Groudon.

awesome I have a shiny frelagiator and cynda one of my ss saves! hunting for the 3rd starter now :) I also got a shiny dratini from the game corner.

shiny_hunter5

6140218b-b06a-4c99-8886-143ca7d3f98c_zpszwcxbfjm.jpg

feel slightly sad, not what i wanted but will have to be my Saphire starter!

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
this hunt is extremely disheartening. I just wanted a shiny greninja. I've been in the fs for days, and i've gone over odds x4 already. someone send help.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Platina2000 on Reshiram, darkpaladin2015on Suicune, TheMaster327 on Mewtwo, eiger on Regirock, darkpaladin2015 on Heatran, LilyValley on Chimchar, Pluski on Heracross, Platina2000 on Sunkern, Cyberra on Wailmer; maldoror on Chinchou, Tentacool, Chikorita, Mienfoo, and Solrock; darkpaladin2015 on Chatot, Cyberra on Scyther, kirkeastment on Chikorita, Synnett on Kecleon, Dragalge on Zorua, Aesnath on Virizion, Jack5326 on Growlithe, and everyone else on your shinies!

-----------

what do you guys do with shinies after you get them? I feel a little empty just putting them in a box after i EV train them. I feel like there should be something more, like i don't feel accomplished enough just getting one, because then i just go straight to the next hunt.

I generally EV train them and level them to 100. 43 out of my 76 shinies are currently EV trained and level 100. But usually only one pokemon per evo line (ex. I already have a Lv. 100 EV trained Machamp, so my 4 Machoke/1 Machop aren’t getting trained at all, unless I happen to want one of my Machokes trained/evolved). 24 of my shinies (which are untrained/not Lv. 100) are either duplicates or previous evolutions of a shiny poke that I already have EV trained and leveled to 100. 7 more of my shinies (also untrained/not Lv. 100) I plan on finding more of in the same line to eventually train/level one of them (Like Vulpix, which I’m going to hunt another one and will then train/level one of them).

The remaining 2 are Litwick and Audino, who are exceptions…Although I’ve lately been thinking about hunting more Litwick eventually so that’s sort of one that I’ll eventually train when I find more (originally, I just liked the blue flame too much to evolve it into plain old orange flames), but Audino was just an anomaly. Not quite sure why I didn’t bother training him. Perhaps I’ll work on it at some point.

Two out of three of my main hunting games are 4th gen :)

-----------

4 days into the month before I can hunt D: Not used to that >.< Anyways, still didn’t have any time to hunt a few days ago, so I hunted on Rumble late at night. On my third run through Bright Beach, I found a shiny Tentacool – something I’m searching for on my main games :p Hopefully it’s a good sign (though I would be 250% ok with a second Horsea shining before Tentacool. And -10% ok with a third Tentacruel!). Then I did about 24 runs in a different area but nothing else appeared.

Thinking about my current Black 2 targets…Aggron and Gigalith…Both really slow, and will probably be annoying to train since I won’t be able to hit first >.< Ugh, not looking forward to that. I could always get something else to Trick Room, but that’s going to take extra time each battle (and take away XP from the pokemon I’m training)…Slow pokemon are a pain >.<

I was able to hunt yesterday and I’m hunting now as well, so hopefully things have settled down and my hunting can continue as usual :3

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Lorde, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, ChaoticInverse, Pluski, and Nakashima)!

SkyMew

Congrats to everyone with your encounters from me, as well.

I've occasionally been soft-resetting for some legends and hatching for more Shiny Eevee, and luckily, I just got my second Shiny Groudon, this time on Soul Silver.

Caught it into a Master Ball.

Its nature is Gentle, while I was aiming for a Jolly one with Synchronize.

According to the stat-judge in Soul Silver, its stats are decent all around, while speed is being its fantastic stat.

It's my second Shiny in Soul Silver.

The one I expected the least, while I was multiply soft-resetting in two games and hatching in one.

TheMaster327

Yay! After a long, 1,484 eggs, a surburnt lizard pops out!

[img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0083_zpshsbvdeim.jpg[/img139][img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0084_zps59qkgof5.jpg[/img139]

He's Timid from Everstone, with Dry Skin as his ability. His IVs: 31 / 31 / 24, 25 / 31 / 31 / 31 - awesome :)

Congrats on the recent sparkles, guys! And good luck those still hunting!

JohnNiles

I am... hunting legendaries and switching targets whenever I get bored. It's not going too well, but I've reached a state where I can SR without resenting the Gen IV odds. I'm actually more concerned about getting a shiny and realizing it's not all it's cracked up to be (colors don't display well in battle, too big to show off indoors, etc.)

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
I cannot believe it! Just got back into Pokemon and I'm MMing Growlithes on Pokemon X. FIVE eggs in and I am now the proud owner of an Adamant, Female, Shiny Growlithe! It has Flare Blitz and Morning Sun as egg moves and is in a Fast Ball. I feel so lucky that it came out female!

Then I checked the IVs... 31/31/31/X/31/31. I am speechless!

View attachment 14835

congrats on your shiny growlithe :3 that is a very short mm hunt tbh I am hunting for a second shiny klefki with a different nature and better ivs atm which close to 500 eggs and nothing yet still ._.
Yay! After a long, 1,484 eggs, a surburnt lizard pops out!

[img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0083_zpshsbvdeim.jpg[/img139][img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0084_zps59qkgof5.jpg[/img139]

He's Timid from Everstone, with Dry Skin as his ability. His IVs: 31 / 31 / 24, 25 / 31 / 31 / 31 - awesome :)

Congrats on the recent sparkles, guys! And good luck those still hunting!

this makes me wonder with the shiny hunting with the ratio for 6th gen it says 1/686 or something like that but sometimes we hatch them over that amount makes me wonder what we are doing wrong tbh ._. anyway congrats on your shiny I am glad it finally shined for you ^_^

Cyberra

pain in the ***

I'm hunting Unown in Gen IV, and I have a couple of other hunts there in planning (once I get around to it...)

I'm not going to try and undermine the shinies beyond 5th generation (my second favourite), but I feel they're more personally valuable to me than 6th Gen shinies (the lower odds in 4th and 5th give them a different sense of rarity to me).

I hunt full odds in Gen V... No shiny charm, and I'd be unable to complete the dex there b/c mew is now unavailable in the previous gens. Without hacking.

this hunt is extremely disheartening. I just wanted a shiny greninja. I've been in the fs for days, and i've gone over odds x4 already. someone send help.

Sometimes the FS likes to troll. I went over 8,000 encounters for a shiny helioptile there, and gave up at 9,000 for mightyena in another after I accidentally ran from one and never found another (bred it instead). Hang in there; it can't hide forever!

*ahem*

:D My poison safari hunt has come to an end! After an even 1,000 encounters, I find a blue and purple toxicroak!

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/374_zpsmucu7jo8.jpg[/img139]

He's relaxed and capable of taking hits, with Anticipation. I named him after the water monster of Japanese myth, just because.

My next FS hunt will be rock, after rhydon.

Regigigas is still at 3,200 SRs; I was playing Portal today. Eevee is at 40 eggs.

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
Been while since my last update but today I finally caught Shiny I've been hunting for a while now a shiny Heatmor. Going into detail of my hunt I was close to losing Heatmor too after swicthing out Magnezone with Gardevoir the Durant's attacks got Heatmor's HP to Red but lucky after I used Gardevoir's Skill Swap and Telepathy combo. Then After taking out the Durants, then sending out Parasect I finally caught Heatmor. She's Naughty and A little quick tempered, with Gluttony.

Other shinys I've caught since my last update were Geodude (now Golem), Mawile, Gabite, Galvantula, Stunfisk, and Helioptile.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Today, while Wonder Trading, something caught my attention: a shiny Clamperl! I have to admit that I didn't catch this Pokémon.
Pic: http://i.imgur.com/Tr12PUZ.jpg
Info:
Nickname: Clamperl
Level 30
Poké Ball: Ultra Ball
Moves: Clamp, Water Gun, Whirlpool, Iron Defense
OT: Aragab144
Trainer ID: 01614
EXP Points: 37, 800
Ability: Shell Armor
Stats: HP: 70, Attack: 52, Defense: 65, Sp. Attack: 62, Sp. Defense: 42, Speed: 33
Nature: Rash
Date met: 1/12/2015
Where: Route 129
Level met: 30
Characteristic: Somewhat vain

Still doing my Shiny Altaria hunt on White (I had to depend on Illuminate) and congrats on the recent shinies!

Last edited:

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Been awhile since I posted here but I have managed to obtain a few new Shinies. My first one was a shiny Vulpix via MM. It was female, Timid natured and with Drought. Sadly her IVs weren't what I wanted and she was missing Special Attack. She only took 13 eggs so it wasn't too bad. Had it been a longer hunt I would have been more disappointed.

My second shiny came from the Friend Safari. I was hunting in a Water Safari with Octillery, Wartortle and Frogadier hoping for Wartortle or Frogadier as I already had a Shiny Octillery via the GTS. Of course the shiny that appeared first was indeed an Octillery. He was male, neutral natured (Docile I believe, can't completely remember) with Sniper. Even though I already had a Shiny Octillery it was still nice to find him as I now have one with my own OT.

The third and final Shiny I found since my last post here is definitely the one I'm most happy about. I continued to hunt in the same Water Safari I found my Octillery hoping to find Wartortle or Frogadier. Not long after I encountered a shiny female Frogadier, without the use of Cute Charm. To make me happier my Trace Gardevoir (my lead Pokemon) revealed that she also had Protean. After a few Luxury Balls she was mine. She has a Naive nature which is fantastic for Greninja with outstanding potential overall and max IVs in attack and special defence. I haven't transferred her to OR or evolved her yet but I'll be making her into a physical Greninja and using her on one of my Maison Triples teams. I think it's safe to say that this Frogadier has used up all my luck for the year.

Congrats to everyone on their new Shinies and good luck to those hunting :)

Last edited:

Laurelai

Welp, I'm going to blanket congratulate the last year and a tad of shinies found because I am coming back after a poke-break ;) SO! Congratulation all of you who have kept up the good fight while I was gone :D I got back to my games a month or so ago, and decided to MM again, because I much prefer the control I have over the end pokemon. Took me a bit, but I finally hatched Gatyam, my wash rotom (ok, you know the story behind Rotom's name, I named mine in the same theme lol) who hatched with perfect IVs in all but HP. He doesn't meet the criteria for this month's CH, but I am amused that he popped on 08/08 and the theme is pokedex #8s. Onward to my next target for this months CH, and of course, linkie for pix :)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m36/Laure1ai/IMG_20150808_192454.jpg_zpsyyx2ri2d.png
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m36/Laure1ai/IMG_20150808_193654.jpg_zpsihy0d07h.png

Last edited:

Shiny Lord

Caught a shiny Ryhorn last night in Omega Ruby via Dex Nav. It doesn't have the greatest ivs but a shiny is a shiny.

#111 Rhyhorn [Quirky]
IVs: 3, 4 / 3, 4 / 31 / 5, 6 / 5, 6 / 4, 5
Stats at Lv.54: 152|0 / 98|0 / 124|0 / 40|0 / 40|0 / 34|0
Ability: Reckless

shiny_hunter5

Caught a shiny Ryhorn last night in Omega Ruby via Dex Nav. It doesn't have the greatest ivs but a shiny is a shiny.

#111 Rhyhorn [Quirky]
IVs: 3, 4 / 3, 4 / 31 / 5, 6 / 5, 6 / 4, 5
Stats at Lv.54: 152|0 / 98|0 / 124|0 / 40|0 / 40|0 / 34|0
Ability: Reckless

are all those quests complete? how do you choose which one to do!