• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

4nglWJb.jpg

....Is this the real life? ...Is this fantasy?

It's REAL! 1495 eggs with Masuda Method + Shiny charm and i finally got my shiny Charmander. I've only gotten one other SC+MM pokemon (Treecko - 97 eggs) so I was surprised that it took this long. But man oh man am I happy. Charmander was the pokemon I started Pokemon Red with when I was a kid and Charizard was one of the main staples of my team in the days of Red, Silver, Stadium 1 and Stadium 2. Can't express how happy I am to have this little guy at last. Definitely been prolonged for such a long time. Never been one for naming my pokemon (never nicknamed a Pokemon ever) so I'm conflicted on whether I will name this one.

Hoping later shiny egg breedings don't last nearly as long as this particular one did. Now I have to decide which Pokemon I'll pursue next. Froakie and Goomy are probably my most desired targets as of now egg-wise, but I may venture into going for others such as Turtwig and Totodile. Thinking of probably doing my first Dexnav next.

For the others that have gotten shiny pokemon since I last posted, I want to congratulate you on the success. And for those still going through their own hunts I wish you luck. :D

DarkraiMiestro

something or other
Was having no luck with DexNav for my Feebas hunt so I switched to chain fishing. Not sure what my highest chain is, but now I have 1040 total encounters. Congrats to Cyberra, Phillies, TheMaster327, Lorde, Rwilit Dragoon, maldoror, MurderofKrow, shiny_hunter5, Synnett, SkyMew, Doomdour, Paraqua, darkpaladin2015, Aesnath, serpent222, Kataru, Legendluke25, StrongBad456, Smobble and KantoPkmnMaster on the shinies!

maldoror

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck on your ongoing hunts!

After two days of SRing, Landorus shined! He is Adamant with perfect Attack, Defense, and Special Attack IVs. Now on to Dewford Town to SR for Palkia.

MY Soulsiver badge quest has yet to yield a second shiny. I am at 158 in game hours since beating the first gym. Even at conservative RE/hour estimates, that puts me at or above 10,000 encounters.

Razorbadger

Congrats to KantoPkmnMaster on Treecko and Charmander, darkpaladin2015 on Chikorita, Charmander, Piplup and Treecko, LilyValley on Aerodactyl, Cyberra on Eevee, Mareep and Swinub, wobbanut on Tauros, Cpchris on Durant, kirkeastment on Chikorita, Budew and Combee, eiger on Regice, Hasty Jynx on Larvitar, MurderofKrow on Snivy, Latios and Groudon, Ampharos_Spark on Cascoon, TheMaster327 on both Lotad, Crimson Penguin on Aron, Twilit Dragoon on Regirock, maldoror on Ho-Oh, Regigigas, Tornadus and Landorus, Synnett on Zigzagoon, Paraqua on both Spheal, Aesnath on Azelf and Mespirit, Ketaru on Hoppip, SkyMew on Eevee, Smobble on Mareep and everyone else on your shinies.

Thanks to Cpchris and Crimson Penguin for the luck.

Shinies always appear when you least expect them to. Late last night I was REing on autopilot in my White 2, not really paying my game much attention at all when I heard sparkles way too early in an encounter to be my Dewott, looked down and saw that a shiny Sewaddle had appeared after 23,131 REs.

[IMG139]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/razorbadger/2cf75b73-f5d5-441f-af58-af9d71b689b6_zps1umzqnzt.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/razorbadger/7318a81f-088f-4ebf-9041-d47f13d4254b_zpssqy7qtxd.jpg[/IMG139]

Finally something shone, and my target too! I've been really lucky with getting my main target on the first phase just lately and even though this hunt was my second longest ever I really don't mind going to these kind of numbers if I get the shiny I want at the end of it. A calm nature is about as bad as is possible for a Leavanny but I'm still going to invest in attack evs because I don't think special Leavanny is something that could ever work, even with Leaf Storm. As an added little bonus Sewaddle is holding a Mental Herb, making her my first ever shiny to come with a 5% item attached.

I'm not 100% sure what to hunt next on this BQ although I'm thinking of going for something in the desert to help me deal with Elesa. First though to my Heart Gold where I've decided to hunt for Steelix in the Cliff Cave. Obviously I will be using a Magnet Pull lead for this and I'm thinking that I will repel trick as well to make Steelix 100% and avoid the possibility of an exploding Graveller in the process.

Good luck hunting everyone :)

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Well, this past week I've been largely busy with working on completing my pokedexes on X, Y, and OR. I'm working between the three games to fill up each pokedex, so it's coming slowly but it'll help in the long run. I've also traded up most of my 4th and 5th gen shinies now, with only a few unaccounted for. I've also FINALLY got friend codes (two different systems), so if you want to add one of my codes they're in my signature now.

Also, thanks to my new electric friend safari, I got a shiny I've been wanting for ages, pachirisu. :D It shone just as I was going to quit for the night. I also got the event rayquaza. Does it count for the community hunt since it's #384?

Anyway, I've also got some bad news and good news. First bit of bad news, I think my shaymin is irretrievably lost. I don't even want to say way, it's one of the stupidest reasons apart from restarting a game and I hang my head in shame. I'll have to wait for a future event. Secondly, I have to find my Diamond game, which is lost in the house somewhere. It has my shiny bibarel and shinx, so hopefully I'll find it.

In good news, though, I found my long-lost shiny wynaut that I MM'd a couple of years ago that I feared lost when I restarted Black (it turns out he was on White the whole time). At least he's safe and sound, and I'll be evolving him to fill my shiny Rocketdex. :)

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
I've got shiny news. I got myself a shiny Totodile in 301 MMs in OR.

The only thing is though. Is that it came from the egg I collected to hatch first before boxing the rest, when I started the game. I know that it's not possible, but I think maybe it had to do with the fact that the day-care man was already holding the egg before I had stopped playing before or something. I don't know I just see it as very weird.

Congrats to the recent shinies and good luck to all ongoing hunts.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Hi again! Congratulations on the recent shinies, in particular razorbadger on Sewaddle!

I come back here with very intriguing shiny news.

I was preparing for a new MM hunt on Alpha Sapphire about a week ago, I believe. I picked a Sableye out of the PC and wanted to relearn a move...but I had no Heart Scales to use. So naturally, I flew to Ever Grande City and began to head out to Route 128, to fish for some Luvdisc. I reached the bottom of the waterfall when I encountered a Tentacool - not shiny though. But in the instant I said 'inb4 shiny', guess what the next encounter provided?

Oh yes, a random shiny Tentacool! I made haste of catching it, and found it to have a Quirky nature. Tentacool is resting in the PC Box for now, but I will train it up.

Good luck everyone.

Mestear

Shiny Hunter
Hi guys!
Just wanted to share with you my beloved cyndaquil, I reseted for him 2200 times in HG, not too much. But it was my most interesting shiny hunt, because you never know who would appear. Cyndaquil was always my first starter in Pokemon Gold and Silver, sweet memories

StrongBad456

Beginning Trainer
I'm very happy. I managed to hatch a shiny Eevee in only 27 eggs! I've never managed to hatch a shiny Pokemon with that many steps required to hatch it. I usually go for the lower ones but I'm glad I got a shiny Eevee. Now I only need 7 more to get all the different evolutions (I already have a shiny Umbreon and a different shiny Eevee from the Friend Safari on Y). Also congratulations to you guys on your shinies!

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
This will likely be my last update post for a few days as i continue to speed run HG(got my Shiny Starter finally) so that i can SR for Shiny Kyogre.

So here are my recent acquisitions;

Route 10(Nosepass... found it in a Horde, but wasn't actually HE'ing = slightly annoying shiny)

[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-08/145D4AA1-9CDB-47CA-9D32-E85714051517_zpsz9srfvpf.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-08/3C40C911-4AC6-4DEB-A4A6-349E3D94C58C_zpsf9sbyxqe.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-08/7D836CE9-748B-4002-A128-6088928F3B80_zpsvszpas9l.jpg[/IMG139]

Shiny Totodile

After what was nearly 4k SR's on this new file(after a 5k+ SR hunt which resulted in Chikorita) it finally shone. :D Allowing me to get to work on speed running this darn game to SR for Shiny Kyogre.

[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-08/BEB83D74-4879-47A2-B457-7114427E246A_zpsbnlowa3k.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-08/F8ED0066-0286-489A-9BFE-3C74D028AEE5_zpsks09lq2t.jpg[/IMG139]

Shiny Nincada

I chose my next hunt in Pokemon Y to take place on Route 6, and i brought along my trusty new capture, Magnet Pull Nosepass to increase my chances to 50% for a Shiny Honedge... Instead, after 4th RE of the day, Shiny Nincada appeared.

[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-08/1CCDD01C-1A06-4198-A784-1B7E90612300_zpsu3v9mlzk.jpg[/IMG139]

Finally, i acquired 2 Shinies via Friend Safari's, so as to mix up my hunts a little after my RE Shinies appeared;

Klefki

[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-08/B4B0DC21-C4F3-46E7-9BB2-BED9D266B0FF_zpsa8wt3rao.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-08/7A0EFA4A-3A67-4C8A-8050-E53A35580F78_zpsc7hqtau5.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-08/282AEE4B-1682-4EDD-A130-8EDFC7A3B361_zpsfwhbeznq.jpg[/IMG139]

Floette

[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-08/5E3D2401-4A05-4F68-9BC4-2369338EC11D_zpsyrum8jla.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-08/CE37AE17-1F45-4565-9174-ABFAE34FC2DB_zps0zqbciqk.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-08/E5DC60CD-F583-4627-BABB-C24DFA961E87_zpszcetevgp.jpg[/IMG139]

Last edited:

Chloe Cassandra

Long time no see.
Today, after six eggs, I hatched a shiny Mawile via Masuda Method! The funny thing is I had absolutely no intention of MM'ing for one because I just happened to have a shiny foreign 6IV Ditto and I was trying to get one with good stats. I got so unlucky when I checked its IVs. It's an Adamant one with a spread of 31/XX/31/31/31/31. I guess that's what happens? XD

It's still very cool to have nonetheless.

Another shiny in the books. I've been playing my X version in conjunction with Alpha Sapphire (MM on AS) and with a new 3ds in hand I decided to restock my friend safari. So i decided i would go through my safari until I found all 2/3 (depending on status of person) pokemon in the safari. 93 random encounters later (I have the shiny charm in X too) I found a Shiny Woobat (Picture to be added later). Did not intend to find a shiny, and quite honestly I wasn't paying attention and almost ran from the Woobat. Luckily I did notice that it looked like it was seasick due to its green hue, which caused me to put two and two together. And lo and behold, Shiny Woobat is now part of my shiny pokemon collection! Woobat has never been a pokemon that i've been ecstatic about, but i'm sure attitudes can change over time (especially when it's a special Woobat like this one).

As for my AS shiny hunts, after completing my almost neverending Charmander MM i've decided to MM for a Froakie next. More to come in the future.

Groudon (Wonder Trade)
Charizard (Wonder Trade)
Treecko (Masuda Method [97])
Charmander (Masuda Method [1495])
Rayquaza (Event)
Gyarados x2 (HG/SS in-game event)
Haxorus x2 (BW2 in-game event)
Nincada (Random Encounter [238])
Gengar (Event)
Corsola (Chain Fishing [63])
Swirlix (Random Encounter [???])
Palkia x3 (Event)
Dialga x2 (Event)
Giratina (Event)
Politoed (Wonder Trade)
Dragonair x2 (BW ingame event)
Patrat (Random Encounter [???])
Electrike (Horde [~50 hordes])
Pawniard (Friend Safari)
Woobat (Friend Safari)
Metagross x2 (Event)
Sneasel (Random Encounter [???])

Last edited:

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
Congrats to everyone that got there shinies so far and especially kirkeastment with that shiny klef it taunts me :p

I am still hatching eggs for klefki and the drought is still extremely dead. I been having my ds on for least two weeks and nothing makes me feel I'm picking up the eggs wrong or something. I am almost at 1,260 eggs and nothing. I never had this much bad luck but I am still hatching.

Last edited:

darkpaladin2015

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to everyone, particularly AquaRegisteel on your long hunt.

I am still hatching eggs for klefki and the drought is still extremely dead. I been having my ds on for least two weeks and nothing makes me feel I'm picking up the eggs wrong or something. I am almost at 1,260 eggs and nothing. I never had this much bad luck but I am still hatching.

Don't give up! I know how you feel. I've had some stupidly long MM hunts in the past. A fair few of my hunts took me well of 2000 eggs, and that was with the shiny charm!! Klefki will pop out eventually, just keep going!

As for me, I encountered my THIRD completely random Zigzagoon EV training (I just Lol'd), and yesterday and this morning I caught Ariados and Larvesta from the FS :)

Cyberra

pain in the ***
OMG I HAVE JUST ACHIEVED SOMETHING I NEVER THOUGHT POSSIBLE! I'VE HATCHED A SHINY WITH 6IV!!! :D

The Pokémon is Piplup!!! He's Timid, no egg moves, WITH 6IV! I'm really in shock with this! I've never even managed to achieve hatching a regular Pokémon with 6IV, no mind a shiny! He was relatively short to hunt as well, coming in ~350 eggs.

:D Congrats! My very first legit 6IV shiny was a chingling, now a chimecho. At the moment it's still the only 6IV shiny I've ever bred out (I have others, but they're trades and probably either clones or tampered with).

Just posting an update on my hunts. My targets are being stubborn. Gastly is up to 1,200 eggs and not shining yet. In the friend safari, I'm up to 2,400 REs in the second phase, looking for azumarill. Regigigas is up to 6,600 SRs. In Diamond, my Solaceon Ruins hunt is stalled at 5,200 encounters; I'll probably pick it up again once Regigigas shines.

serpent222

My only 6IV shiny is a tentacool. Blew my mind when I got him.

I'm working on the same MM shiny hunt I've been on since may. I feel like starters take longer for me than any other pokemon. Over 850 eggs in (with shiny charm) and nothing on Tepig.

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
Another shiny in the books. I've been playing my X version in conjunction with Alpha Sapphire (MM on AS) and with a new 3ds in hand I decided to restock my friend safari. So i decided i would go through my safari until I found all 2/3 (depending on status of person) pokemon in the safari. 93 random encounters later (I have the shiny charm in X too) I found a Shiny Woobat (Picture to be added later). Did not intend to find a shiny, and quite honestly I wasn't paying attention and almost ran from the Woobat. Luckily I did notice that it looked like it was seasick due to its green hue, which caused me to put two and two together. And lo and behold, Shiny Woobat is now part of my shiny pokemon collection! Woobat has never been a pokemon that i've been ecstatic about, but i'm sure attitudes can change over time (especially when it's a special Woobat like this one).

As for my AS shiny hunts, after completing my almost neverending Charmander MM i've decided to MM for a Froakie next. More to come in the future.

Groudon (Wonder Trade)
Charizard (Wonder Trade)
Treecko (Masuda Method [97])
Charmander (Masuda Method [1495])
Rayquaza (Event)
Gyarados x2 (HG/SS in-game event)
Haxorus x2 (BW2 in-game event)
Nincada (Random Encounter [238])
Gengar (Event)
Corsola (Chain Fishing [63])
Swirlix (Random Encounter [???])
Palkia x3 (Event)
Dialga x2 (Event)
Giratina (Event)
Politoed (Wonder Trade)
Dragonair x2 (BW ingame event)
Patrat (Random Encounter [???])
Electrike (Horde [~50 hordes])
Pawniard (Friend Safari)
Woobat (Friend Safari)
Metagross x2 (Event)
Sneasel (Random Encounter [???])

Huge congrats on the unintended shiny. I can easily relate as I had a similar story where I was checking a new safari and I also got myself a random shiny Woobat. Currently I am still being held down by Uxie as I cannot leave this cave without having to return at a specific time again. I dont mind as this is the last of the Lake Guardians I am missing, but I will definitely take a break from soft resetting after this. Good luck everyone.

Aesnath

But Nothing Happened
Alright, congrats to the successful (serpent222 (Spinda counts…barely), Ketaru , darkpaladin2015(6IV, nice), SkyMew, Doomdour, Legendluke25, StrongBad456, Paraqua, Smobble (Happy B-Day!), KantoPkmnMaster (IMO, give it a nickname!), maldoror, Razorbadger, wobbanut (I also love the squirrel!), MurderofKrow, AquaRegisteel, Mestear, kirkeastment (nice run), and ChiefLucarioOfficer) and good luck to those still hunting (TheMaster327, Cpchris, Lorde, Jack5326, FairyWitch, DarkraiMiestro).

Well, I apparently go hot and cold. After about 300 SRs, I got a shiny Uxie completing that trio.

Then, this morning, on my bus ride to work, I thought that zapdos looked a little funny, and it sparkled. I actually meant to put it in a fast ball, but forgot to pick them up from the guy prior to beginning to reset, so moonball it was. Ended up with a shiny quiet Zapdos after around 2500 SRs—still pretty fast relatively.

With those two, I have around 16 shiny legends (non-event) to catch before having a set of self-caught shiny legends (that are available in shiny). My family (who play pokemon) have decided that shiny hunting may have become a problem for me. My motto is “always be resetting.”

Last edited:

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Well, since it's been almost nine months since I last posted, huge blanket congrats to everyone who has obtained a Shiny since then.

I've obtained a few Shinies since then, but my last one is the main reason I'm posting.

First, I had a bit of a Shiny drought, so I randomly started to do a Dex Nav hunt, and four encounters in I got a Shiny Tynamo that I didn't even realize was Shiny until it sparkled. Then, I found a random Shiny Zebstrika in an Alpha Sapphire Wedlocke I was doing, which I easily caught. After that, I found a Shiny Wurmple within an hour of starting an Omega Ruby Wedlocke, which thankfully evolved into a Cascoon rather than Silcoon like my last two. Then, two days later in the same Omega Ruby Wedlocke, I found a Shiny Abra, which I was able to catch. And, lastly, the main reason I'm posting. After 2346 SR's, I found and caught a Shiny Reshiram, which I've been hunting sporadically since, like, December but have really started hunting in the past week. I was scared, though, since I had to use my Master Ball on Groudon, but I managed to catch it in an Ultra Ball.

EDIT: Whoa! Decided to do a hunt using the Dex Nav (I wasn't actually trying to keep a chain, just had to use it) for a Zorua, and after a total of 53 encounters (Not all Zorua), I got one! It's Lv.5, so it was a bit of a chain. With that done, I'm going to continue my hunt for a Shiny Latias that I've done sporadically since January, since I seem to be on a roll today.

Last edited:

Dragon trainer

Arise from the Ashes
After trying to get a shiny lotad from dexnav I gave up and managed to get a shiny whismur. I went with a modest synch pokemon which didn't work its bashful she is now a shiny loudred. I now 3 shiny pokemon in my team trying to do a badge quest got shiny combusken, using the shiny beldum from the event now a metang and the loudred. Trying to get each pokemon via a different way.