• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Smobble

MH4U <3
First time chain fishing!

I toke a little break from the shiny Cyndaquil hunt. Still no female... (6x male! ;-; ) I decided to do chain fishing. I've never toke hand into it, but results came in handy and on my 14th chain. I GOT A SHINY WAILMER!!! I was pretty shocked how fast and quick, but they don't say chain fishing is easy grabs for nothing.

Encounters: 14
Wailmer- Male
Ability- Oblivious
Nature- Mild
IVS- 1

image.jpg

TheMaster327

... 173 eggs. My MM luck is officially crazy.

[img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSSF4eRWIAAbcNg.jpg[/img139][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSSF4eiXIAAkAiH.jpg[/img139]

Shiny Torchic! Adamant from Everstone AND it's female (Third starter in a row that's been female), AND it's Speed Boost. Oh, AND it's IVs are 31/31/31/xx/31/31. Literally perfect shiny!

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Reminder that it's voting time :D

You can PM me your choice :)

The ideas:

November = Movember! For the guys!

My idea is to obtain shinies with moustaches or whiskers :D

Suggested list (and I have some evolved pokemon listed because they have really spectacular facial hair) :

Rattata
Meowth
Kadabra
Magikarp
Piloswine
Entei
Swalot
Barboach
Sealeo
Glameow
Stunky
Probopass (gotta love *this* 'stache!)
Dewott
Lillipup
Liepard
Bearartic
Meinfoo
Bunnelby

I don't think this is a national holiday, but here in the UK we have bonfire night/guy fawkes night on November 5th where basically bonfires and fireworks are set off across the county, so my idea for the CH would be to catch any pokemon that have flames/fire/steam as a part of it?

The list of pokemon that fit this criteria are as follows:
Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard
Ponyta/Rapidash
Magmar/Magmortar
Moltres
Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion
Slugma/Magcargo
Torkoal
Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape
Emboar
Darmantian (..maybe? I can't tell what his eyebrows are)
Litwick line

More can be added as others see fit, I thought it'd be a little more specific than just a fire type hunt?

Hi, I had an idea for the November CH, since it's Thanksgiving, how about a shiny bird? Not flying types, just actual bird pokemon.

It would include the pidgey line, spearow and fearow, farfetch'd, doduo and dodrio, hoothoot and noctowl, natu and xatu, murkrow and honchkrow, skarmory, taillow and swellow, wingull and pelliper, swablu and altaria, the starly line, chatot, the pidove line, archen and archeops, ducklett and swanna, rufflet and braviary, vullaby and mandibuzz, delibird, psyduck and golduck, the torchic line, the piplup line, the legendary Kanto trio, latios and latias, yveltal, the fletchling line, I think that's it.

As November is widely known for fireworks, how about we have a hunt for shinies that learn Boomburst, Screech, and other moves that may relate to fireworks? (Obviously a list of moves will need creating)

Quils

Strange Creature
Hello everyone! Congrats on your recent shinies!

It must have been about a year since the last time I posted here. This year I haven't played too much Pokémon...
So... a few months ago I tried to continue my Alpha Sapphire game and I decided I wanted to catch a Shiny before my first badge.
After about 4000 hordes (about 20000 Pokémon) in Petalburg Woods I got nothing.
So a couple of weeks ago I decided to try with the Dexnav instead and I got a beautiful Shiny Taillow after only about 220 encounters.
I decided to try a Shiny Badge Quest (not a traditional one since I'm using Dexnav and Horde Encounters) and after the first badge I got a Shiny Skitty after 396 encounters.
After that I kind of wanted to finish that hunt in Petalburg Woods, but I instead decided to go for an Aron in Granite Cave. After some HEs I randomly decided to go to the next floor where Sableye also appear.
I didn't even thought about the possibility of getting a Shiny Sableye since it's only a 5% chance... and that's without counting the use of Magnet Pull, but after about 500 HEs I found a Shiny Sableye. I couldn't believe it! And then I remembered I didn't check for Sableye's catch rate (it's only 45) and the only way I could hurt them was with my Magnemite's Supersonic. Fortunately the Shiny stayed in the second Pokéball I threw after I put it to sleep with my Marshtomp's Yawn.
For my fourth Shiny I went back to Granite Cave (doing HEs in the floor where Sableye can't be found) and after only about 250 HEs I found exactly what I was looking for: a Shiny Aron.

Now I decided to go back to Dexnaving and I'm trying to get Ralts. I'm at about 500 encounters but I put the hunt on hold because studies... ugh.
I would put pictures but I don't want to lose more time since I should be studying right now.

So... I think I completed the community hunt with Sableye c:
I'll probably disappear again, but good luck to everyone on your hunts!

Ampharos_Spark

Gen 6 = <3
Congrats to pkmnbrawler123, Azulart, serpent222, TheMaster327, Cyberra, Thibidaeu, PrismaticPrincessAnna, Aesnath, Paraqua, Draknir, Cpchris, wobbanut, Iwanuq, Laurelai, taufik386, Missingno. Master, maskofsanity1998, Phillies, Lorde, Smobble, Quils and anyone else that I may have missed!

So I'm continuing this spooky streak and I decided to try MMing another spooky Pokemon since Litwick wasn't exactly Masuda Method. So these last few days I've been hatching eggs hoping for a sparkly ghost to pop out. After I got home from work and had dinner, I watched today/yesterday's episode of Gravity Falls. At the end of the episode I looked down and saw this beautiful...
[IMG139]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/DarkSuicune/20151026_223658_zpsotjfnlvy.jpg[/IMG139]
purple and blue gas ball pop out of the egg! Shiny Mega Gengar FTW! Sure I have the event shiny Gengar but... meh. It's just not the same. Anyway, he ended up with great IVs of 31/28/7/31/31/31. More pictures: OT/ID, Summary, Sparkles, Pokemon-Amie and Video. Now I'm of to either Hoenn or Sinnoh for my next spooky target!I'm currently EV training this Gastly now as I type.

Good luck to all especially those with particularly stubborn targets!

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Iwanuq on Grimer and Zekrom, Laurelai on Golett, taufik386 on Tepig, TheMaster327 on Cherubi; Missingno. Master on Chingling, both Duskull, Aerodactyl, Sigilyph, and Karrablast; PrismaticPrincessAnna on Tepig and Squirtle, taufik386 on Pansear, Cyberra on Eevee, maskofsanity1998 on Sandshrew, Phillies on Regirock and Terrakion, Thibideau on Electrike and Absol, Lorde on Larvitar, TheMaster327 on Torchic, Ampharos_Spark on Gastly, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks for the congrats, Keane, Thibideau, and Ampharos_Spark ^ ^ And thanks for the luck, AquaRegisteel :)

-----------

Thanks for the calculations--now I just have to figure out how to get it in a ball with it only having 30pp of moves. I'll be pretty disappointed if I have to go with a masterball.

Also--Nicely done TheMaster327!

Possibly bring something with Screech? It’ll lower its Def by 2 stages, so if you bring any false swipers, you can more easily get its health down when it uses Recover. Or use Taunt so it can’t use Recover (at least until it starts running low on offense moves). Though when I used the calculator, when Groudon is at 1 HP and Asleep, it should have around a 35% capture rate with a Heavy Ball, so I don’t imagine you’d have much trouble at that point.

-----------

Yes :D Not only did I just find a target, but I found it in a way I’ve always wanted to get a shiny: On the first RE of the day! Turned my games on, went into an encounter, and after just 1,301 REs, Platinum decided to be kind and give me a gorgeous second Shiny Gastly!

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/KYqIoT7.jpg[/IMG200]

It was so surprising to see a blue Gastly straight away! This almost happened before with Caterpie (who I found on the 2nd RE). This one is female, Serious, and has the IVs: 18 – 16 – 28 – 27 – 4 – 28. My first Gastly remained a Gastly and is now Lv. 100 (really didn’t care to evolve it as it’s such an amazing shiny as Gastly). It was Adamant nature anyways, so there was even less of a point in evolving it. Even though this one didn’t end up with a “good” nature, I’m perfectly fine with a neutral nature, and coupled with its good IVs, I’m going to evolve it into Gengar rather than waiting to see if a 3rd Gastly is even better. There’s a chance I’ll find more Gastly than I need, too (still need 2 Buneary from here, plus if I ever hunt at Turnback Cave…). As much as I’d like to repel trick with a shiny (and this Gastly now being my only choice), I’m too impatient to wait for a Buneary to shine to use as a repel trick lead :x

Still sticking with Eterna Forest for now. Hopefully a Buneary next, but I still need one more Gastly to complete the line...

Also, Community Hunt Complete x2 – perhaps the first time I’ve found 2 CH targets in the same month.

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, ChaoticInverse, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, Razorbadger, Cyberra, Keane, and Nakashima)!

tui

moon upon a stick
Congrats to: Phillies on Regirock, Terrakion and Fraxure, Cyberra on Diggersby, Thibideau on Electrike and Absol, Lorde on Larvitar, Smobble on Wailmer, TheMaster327 on Torchic, Quils on Taillow, Skitty, Sableye and Aron, Ampharos_Spark on Gastly, CpChris on Gastly (can your Platinum sent my Platinum some luck?) and to anybody else I missed!

Thank you CpChris for the luck!

Im currentky RA'ing for shaymin in Diamond.

Anyone here knows if its possible to get a shiny coz i glitched the game to get there. Via tweaking to the void.

Definitely possible - I've read people obtain shiny Darkrai and Shaymin this way from older threads! When I decided to hunt Shaymin last year (never finished, waiting til the end of the BQ now) I just used an AR to hack myself in an Oak's Letter to initiate the event on Route 224, if you ever want a 'safer' way to get to Shaymin (I've heard of tweaking crashing games and corrupting save files, so be careful!).

9700 REs in Valley Windworks now, should get pretty close to 11k today unless something shines. I also boosted up to 2000 REs in Mt Coronet, but I only ever hunt this whilst sat at my desk so that's only ever really quite late at night, and sometimes I just sleep instead :x I'd really like a shiny by the end of this week, since I've been hunting all day most days and even though I'm starting to get busier towards the end of this week I should still be able to get a good amount of hunting done.

Good luck everybody in your hunts, especially Cyberra and CpChris!

Cyberra

pain in the ***

Anyone here knows if its possible to get a shiny coz i glitched the game to get there. Via tweaking to the void.

Definitely possible - I've read people obtain shiny Darkrai and Shaymin this way from older threads! When I decided to hunt Shaymin last year (never finished, waiting til the end of the BQ now) I just used an AR to hack myself in an Oak's Letter to initiate the event on Route 224, if you ever want a 'safer' way to get to Shaymin (I've heard of tweaking crashing games and corrupting save files, so be careful!).

I want to hunt shaymin and darkrai, but I have no way of getting access to Oak's letter or the member card. Nor do I know anyone who can do the hacking for me. Much disappointment :(

My targets are still being elusive... Camerupt is at 3,200 REs. Miltank is at 480 eggs. Upper Solaceon Ruins hunt has reached 11,100 REs

Razorbadger

Congrats to FairyWitch on Absol and Bulbasaur, Psychic on Seedot, Typhlosion_Hunter_Mark on Shieldon, serpent222 on Cryognal, Oshawott, Bulbasaur and Uxie, Draknir on Suicune, Louise955 on Treecko and Zorua, TheMaster327 on Oshawott, Turtwig, Litwick, Rayquaza, Cherubi and Torchic, Crimson Penguin on Braviary and Amaura, Iwanuq on Shinx and Zekrom, Thibideau on Houndour, Venipede, Litwick, Aron, Noibat, Petilil, Froakie, Electrike and Absol, Paraqua on Charmander, all the Misdreavus and Virizion, Shiny Lord on Pumpkaboo, ShiningKnightXY on Cobalion, Azulart on Magikarp, Treecko, Tynamo and Electrike, spaulcam on Furfrou, Cyberra on Spiritomb, Exeggcute, Regigigas, Slowpoke, Rotom and Eevee, Cpchris on Bidoof, Budew and Gastly, Laurelai on Deino, Kyurem and Golett, General_Ridley on Regirock, Regi_Rocks on Bulbasaur, Bagon and Rotom, SmartD on Marill, LucarioMan101 on Riolu and Gastly, SkyMew on Amaura, MultiDarkShadow777 on Torchic, Ampharos_Spark on Litwick and Gastly, Aesnath on Landorous, wobbanut on Poochyena, taufik386 on Tepig and Pansear, PrismaticPrincessAnna on Tepig and Squirtle, maskofsanity1998 on Sandshrew, Philles on Regirock and Terrakion, Lorde on Larvitar and everyone else on your shinies.

Thanks to FairyWitch, Thibideau, Crimson Penguin and Cpchris for the congrats and to Cpchris, AquaRegisteel and TheMaster327 for the luck.

After an incredible start to the month October is rather petering out for me with no new shinies since the three I found in the first six days of the month. My White 2 BQ hunt for Trapinch currently stands at 13,500 REs which means my luck in that game seems to have dried up and also continues the pattern of every hunt I've done in this game either ending under half odds or going over 10k. I'm really hoping I'm not waiting too much longer for something to appear.

Good luck hunting everyone :)

Aesnath

But Nothing Happened
Possibly bring something with Screech? It’ll lower its Def by 2 stages, so if you bring any false swipers, you can more easily get its health down when it uses Recover. Or use Taunt so it can’t use Recover (at least until it starts running low on offense moves). Though when I used the calculator, when Groudon is at 1 HP and Asleep, it should have around a 35% capture rate with a Heavy Ball, so I don’t imagine you’d have much trouble at that point.

That's a good suggestion, I'll probably run with it. For reference, does 35% mean one out of three balls (roughly) or that I'll have 35% per shake, for like a 5% total rate? I'm bad with pokeball math!

I'm pretty sure that I saw someone do just that a few months back in this thread. My wife went through the trouble of getting a Japanese copy of Diamond to surf the void for a shaymin. She didn't try for the shiny, but was successful. Then it wouldn't transfer into Gen 7--wanted to you know it was an issue!

Shy

★★★★★
When you return and you can't even remember your username you know its been awhile. My last shiny was nearly a year ago! I've been going through quite a few changes since last year so I have not been shiny hunting whatsoever. But now that things have been slowing down and I have more time on my hands I've been having the urges to hunt. :) Ya'll may not remember me, but I still recognize a lot of familiar faces in here. Congratulations on all your shinies and good luck to those still hunting!

Without further ado:

[IMGSIZE=450]http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b621/ShyShinies/IMG_0019_zps7fako2by.jpg[/IMGSIZE]

[IMGSIZE=450]http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b621/ShyShinies/IMG_0017_zpsn2fd87bd.jpg[/IMGSIZE]

For anyone that remembers this hunt it meant quite a lot to me. Two uncatchable Pooches and phase 3 was nearing the odds. I lost the exact count but going off of my most recent post I was at 6,000 SRs. Yesterday I started back up with 320 and this afternoon did 65 when it shined! So... approximately 6,385 SRs for phase 3. Phew, so overall:

Phase 1: 3,503 Pooch
Phase 2: 8,522 Pooch
Phase 3: 6,385 Mudkip
Total: 18, 410 SRs

My next hunt will either be Squirtle on my Leafgreen or the Johto starters on my Gold/Silver. I'm leaning more towards those Johto starters since the last time I hunted them I was at 6,850 SRs without any sparkles. Grrr

Last edited:

TheShinyLunatone

VAMPIRE LORDS!
congrats everyone especially on them gastlys, i like gastly's shiny sprite more in older games and shiny gengar is not attractive to me. if i had a shiny gastly i would never ever evolve it

currently at 270 eggs hatched recently, 1421 all together for my super mystery hunt.
boxed two boxes of eggs
no time for poekemon gotta study....]

good luck for those still hunting fams

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
... 173 eggs. My MM luck is officially crazy.

[img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSSF4eRWIAAbcNg.jpg[/img139][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSSF4eiXIAAkAiH.jpg[/img139]

Shiny Torchic! Adamant from Everstone AND it's female (Third starter in a row that's been female), AND it's Speed Boost. Oh, AND it's IVs are 31/31/31/xx/31/31. Literally perfect shiny!

Dang this chicken is the rarest chicken of them all, take good care of it :) Congrants on this wonderful shiny.

Good luck everyone ! I came across some shinies while training etc.. but don't feel like showing them.. since well.. random shinies, not my style.

TheMaster327

Thanks for the congrats on Torchic everyone :) I've created the poll (closed) for my next MM, if you'd care to take a look...

EDIT: Thanks for voting, guys! Next hunt will be Misdreavus!

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
One of my targets, at least, has stopped being stubborn.

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/579_zpsnijkvmm9.jpg[/img139]

After 3,405 REs, camerupt shines. Sync worked and she came out modest nature, mischievous, and has her HA, Anger Point. I named her after the Hawaiian volcano goddess.

Next FS hunt will be electric, after pikachu and dedenne.

I was prepping for the ender dragon fight in xbox minecraft today, so miltank remains at 480 eggs and upper Solaceon Ruins is still at 11,100 REs.

In other news...

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/474_zpsgdrsi5aq.jpg[/img139]

I believe my character is ready for Halloween XD

Does anyone besides me think that Gamefreak should let us buy Halloween costumes and accessories in the clothing shops for the week around Halloween? My character needs a pair of cute little bat wings.

Last edited:

Paraqua

Beginning Trainer
Congrats to Lorde with Larvitar, Mr.FusRoDah with Snorunt, maskofsanity1998 with Dunsparce, Smobble with Cyndaquil and Wailmer, TheMaster327 with Torchic, Quils with Tailow, Skitty, Sableye and Aron, Ampharos_Spark with Gastly, Cpchris with Gastly, Shy with Mudkip and to Cyberra with Camerupt.

Had some mad Masuda method luck after my succesful Virizion hunt, after a mere 15 eggs, a shiny Koffing popped up. female with bold nature with perfect IV's in HP, ATK and DEF. I named her Smogonia.

I'd like to get your opinion on which Pokémon I should hunt next, by any shiny hunt method needed.

My nominations go to:
- Sableye
- Terrakion
- Croagunk
- Nincada
- Helioptile
- Fennekin
- Archen

Most votes will be the next target.

Good luck to all future shinies

HM02gon

Waiting...
My bad shiny luck has finally been broken with 3 new shines in the past 2 days. I took a break from MMing that stupid Dratini (at about 300-something eggs but feels like 1000 because the thing takes so darn long to hatch) and decided to go farm some hoards. Did about 60 encounters on route 114 and found nothing, but then I hopped over to route 111 and found a light green Sandshrew on my first encounter. Then I found a shiny Oddish on my 5th encounter on route 103 and finally a shiny Nincada on my 10th hoarde on route 116. Good luck to anyone else hunting shines. Hopefully some of your MM luck will rub off on me.

masterbreeder42

Beast Ball-catching Legend Wiz
After a few hundred Soft Resets, I got a Shiny Zekrom on AS. This is the last Legendary (not Mythical) Pokemon that I didn't have Shiny and could legitimately be shiny! LQ complete... for now!

On my Black Version, I'm currently in the middle of RNG breeding the (about 100) fully evolved Pokemon from and before 5th Gen that I don't already have Shiny. I'm about a third done, and once I'm done there and bring them to 6th Gen, I just have to MM grind for Shinies on my Y Version, and BOOM! I'll have caught 'em all (shiny)!

Last edited:

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Shy on Mudkip (welcome back!), Paraqua on Koffing, masterbreeder42 on Zekrom, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks for the congrats, Keane, Razorbadger, and Paraqua :) And thanks for the luck, Keane!

-----------

That's a good suggestion, I'll probably run with it. For reference, does 35% mean one out of three balls (roughly) or that I'll have 35% per shake, for like a 5% total rate? I'm bad with pokeball math!

Pretty sure it’s a 1/3 chance per ball.

-----------

Trying to decide what to do when (and, I suppose, if) Aggron shines. On one hand, it’d be nice to take a break from the area. I’ve been in Clay Tunnel for over 25k REs now (and who knows how many more until something shines), with only 1 shiny to show for it (found after 3.5k REs). On the other hand, it might be nice to just finish up the other Aggron and not have to come back here :D But if something shines and it isn’t Aggron, then I’ll probably take a break from the area :|

Here’s the Gastly video!

Black 2 is now at 24,700 REs, HeartGold is at 17,000 REs, and Platinum is at 1,200 REs. That means Black 2 has now passed 3x odds and HeartGold has passed 2x odds. Coincidentally, this is both the 6th time a hunt has gone over 3x odds and the 6th time a hunt has gone over 2x odds (obviously counting 3x and 2x hunts separately). Luckily the quick Budew and Gastly have helped alleviate that feeling of lengthy hunts! Though I still hope to see my targets on my other games appear soon :) Meanwhile, still working on leveling up Gengar – Lv. 82 atm.

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, ChaoticInverse, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, Razorbadger, Cyberra, Keane, and Nakashima)!