• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

SilverRayquaza

Shiny Hunter
You're barely at 1/3 of the odds lol and already you're going with the crying emoticon?

1/512 are the odds for MM w/Shiny Charm in ORAS so best to get into gear. :D

Yeah i know. around 300 eggs now and still no shiny eevee

SheroGH

Congrats to all recent shinys!!

I have a question:
I want to hunt for Mewtwo and I have 2 FireRed and 2 LeafGreen (3 GBA SP and a DSLite), it's okay if I extract the save from the cartridge and play on the pc faster to finish the game and then restore the save of the game to start hunting? or it will be like hacking the game?

Good luck to everyone in their future hunts!

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Congrats to all recent shinys!!

I have a question:
I want to hunt for Mewtwo and I have 2 FireRed and 2 LeafGreen (3 GBA SP and a DSLite), it's okay if I extract the save from the cartridge and play on the pc faster to finish the game and then restore the save of the game to start hunting? or it will be like hacking the game?

Good luck to everyone in their future hunts!

An easy rule of thumb is that if you use any device other than the GBA, DS or 3DS to otherwise play any of the games above regular speed or at all, yes it's hacking and in a sense, cheating too. You would be circumventing the way the game was meant to be played for one and two you would be manipulating the rate at which Pokemon appeared by speeding up the rate at which the game runs.

Then ofc would be whether the shiny even if obtained via this faster method would be deemed legitimate, which is a whole other kettle of fish we don't really want to go into in this thread, since nobody here does what you're asking as we all hunt on the actual intended devices. :)

SheroGH

An easy rule of thumb is that if you use any device other than the GBA, DS or 3DS to otherwise play any of the games above regular speed or at all, yes it's hacking and in a sense, cheating too. You would be circumventing the way the game was meant to be played for one and two you would be manipulating the rate at which Pokemon appeared by speeding up the rate at which the game runs.

Then ofc would be whether the shiny even if obtained via this faster method would be deemed legitimate, which is a whole other kettle of fish we don't really want to go into in this thread, since nobody here does what you're asking as we all hunt on the actual intended devices. :)

But i will just finishing the game, i will be hunting in an actual gba sp or dslite. it will take forever to finish four games :(

tui

moon upon a stick
Congrats to: Paraqua on Munna, and anyone else I missed!

I admit, I do beg to differ - you may be speeding up the rate at which the game runs, but that doesn't mean you'll encounter any more pokemon than you would playing at normal speed. Obviously, if people decided to load their game onto the PC in order to speed up random encounters whilst purposely hunting for a shiny, that'd be exploiting it, but it's no more of an exploit than the heavily reduced odds in gen 6 (in particular the FS, I imagine even if you hunted on sped up games it'd still take you longer to encounter a shiny on there than in the FS)

But that's deviating from the point, the point is that Shero only wants to speed up the games so he/she can get through the storyline faster, which I personally don't blame them for, because the storylines in the games are boring as hell (even now I'm playing through W2 for the first time, it's boring, I just want access to all areas and pokemon to hunt.)

But in short, manipulating the rate of encounters =/= manipulating the overall quantity of encounters, afterall you're just making the usual stuff go faster rather than deliberately hunting and doing more encounters. At the end of the day it's up to Shero to decide whether it's 'legit' enough, I personally think that it's more legit than any hunt where the odds aren't 1/8192 or gen 4/5 MM, since they will still be SRing at a regular rate on a console at the 1/8192 odds. ...And I'm kind of eager to encourage more old gen hunting since it's not really seen as much these days. But good luck with the Mewtwo if you go for it, it's certainly a great looking and highly sought after shiny!

No real update to this post... just wanted to chuck my two cents into the well. 14,200 in Valley Windworks, no progress in Mt. Coronet. Decided to play through White 2 in order to get to Mesprit because I'm really itching for a SR hunt, and I'm horrified by how utterly boring it is. I only got from Relic Castle to Lostlorn Forest, it's hard for me to wrap my head round the lack of structure in any of the routes, they seem to just spout off into 87636 dead ends, or annoying NPCs. I also can't stand spending my time in game not shiny hunting, it doesn't feel right :x

Anyway, good luck everybody, especially CpChris, Razorbadger and Crimson Penguin!

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Well, I had good luck and bad luck this week. I managed to find one of the few times it wasn't constantly raining outside Laverre City on X and decided to horde spam for a couple of days, hoping for a shiny bellsprout or ekans to add to my shiny Rocketdex. I got one shiny bellsprout on the second day, then I didn't realize acid (from my high-levelled bellossom) hits all the pokemon. -_- Luckily, just two or three (!) spams later I got another shiny bellsprout and caught it.

I don't know if I'm going to evolve it all the way to victreebel or just to weepinbell yet. I already have a shiny victreebel, and since I'm trying to match Team Rocket's gender where known (Wobbuffet, yanma, yamask, etc.), if the Victreebel is female, and this one is female, I'll only evolve it to weepinbell, since James had one of each gender of weepinbell and victreebel.

TheShinyLunatone

VAMPIRE LORDS!
dex nav for the win!!

[img139]http://s28.postimg.org/lszs9vo9p/zum_steeles.jpg[/img139]

like 1 iv and quirky nature but he pretty.
name is not random.
only 1 shiny left till e 4. so
for oras bq, does delta episode count as post game ergo not need shiny?

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
So I have a question, or rather, an idea.

What if we collectively came up with a shiny questionnaire? For example:

What was the rarest situation in which you got a shiny?
Which shiny is your favorite?
Which shiny made you freak out the most?

I thought it would be something to sort of break the mold.

Psychic

Really and truly
Thank you for all of the congratulations on my Glameow! Good luck to those hunting, and contrats to those who've been successful!

I decided that after 7 shiny Abra I would try a different Psychic-type Safari to get my female Espurr. This one was Drowzee, Espurr and Girafarig. I've been hunting for 2-3 hours, and I just found a shiny Drowzee! Really made me jump, haha. I always thought that line's shiny form was pink, but when I first saw it I thought it looked rather gray, haha. She's bold with Inner Focus, so my modest synch didn't work, but it's not too bad. Now I kind of hope I catch another; I've had this pink Hypno toy since I was a kid, and it would be awesome to have one to match her in-game!

I totally vote in favour in other shiny Pokemon discussions. :>

~Psychic

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
so i guess i'll do those questions before i update you guiz.

Shiny Dragonair; 5% chance in a fishing spot and i got it shiny!!!
Probably Umbreon, Gardevior, or Ninetails (all of which i caught myself now :D so happy)
like.. eww freak out, or omg thats so cool freak out, or weird freak out, or....?
eww: basculin
omg thats so cool: Umbreon/ Rayquaza
weird: Espeon

So i got a shiny eevee this morning after picking up shiny hunting again. :D it's male, and adamant so i guess it'll become Leafeon. I plan on getting a shiny for each one- typical, i know, but still- and so far i'm off to a good start. im just now picking up that gosh dang frogadier hunt again. so many encounters.. the drought i got with frogadier is primarily why i took such a long hiatus. well, that and college, but :p

EDIT: while EV training my Eevee (haha) I ran into a random shiny zigzagoon!!!!!!!!!!! Female quirky named ziggo (was on the spot and in company of girlfriend so had to think of something quick- i'm taking suggestions) so that's nice!! I also evolved the eevee into Leafeon and.. i literally CANNOT tell the difference. i think it's like one tiny shade darker or something- impossible to tell. but hey im happy :D my collection is growing. i'm really hoping next i can do sylveon or espeon :))

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
After 1,666 REs (so amused by that total) in the bug safari I found my minor target: a shiny vivillon for my friend Skins. This sparkling butterfly is female, brave nature, and alert to sounds, and for the first time I found a shiny vivillon with its HA, Friend Guard. Going to stat-check her and put her in my shiny box to give Skins later.

Shiny alphabet hunt round 2 is at 1,000 REs. Ducklett is at 400 eggs.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
s
like.. eww freak out, or omg thats so cool freak out, or weird freak out, or....?
Like if you spotted one, and you would being thinking along: "Holy crap!" or "What the heck?" or "OMG!".

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
I think im getting it now.

On a different note, I FIANLLY FIANLAY HsDOFKAE FINALLLYYY GOT FROGADIER, OH MY GOSH. it took over 4k encounters in a friend safari ( i stopped counting after 4k) and i finally got him.
Timid sync utterly failed and he has impish i think but its down sp attack up defense so thats crappy. i'm gonna make him a physical attacker and he'll be my precious little snowflake :D I named him Duster in honor of the game that Nintendo is inevitably going to have to release after deliberately removing lucas and then re-adding him to smash and then releasing mother 1/ earthbound 0.
I'm never going to that friend safari ever again, and i wont really have to considering i got every shiny there is to have there. good luck on your hunts guys!

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
still not sure if u mean ew or omg yay
I guess I'll simplify the question to, "Which shiny made you the most nervous about capturing?"

I remember my hands trembling to (and this is quite funny) a shiny Unown O. I don't know why, but that one I was afraid to screw up.

Not even Registeel got me that worked up.

Though Registeel was interesting. I made the game reset 30 times for better stats, and that happens.

SkyMew

Managed to get a Shiny Tornadus today on the first day when I started looking for it in Omega Ruby.

I already had one possibly legit one obtained from a trade, but now I have one in a Luxury Ball.

Synchronizing worked, it has a Timid nature, relatively superior potential, and IV's on Attack, Special Defense and Speed.

Entei is probably my next target, even though I already have one in an Event Ball.

After this, I have all of the Legends from OR/AS + the Hoenn Weather-trio Shiny, caught by myself. Excluding Deoxys.

Unfortunately, I had traded my second Shiny Groudon caught in Soul Silver away for a Shiny Deoxys that was most likely modified to be Shiny. I released it.

I've also been trying to hatch a Shiny Vulpix in Pokémon Y for a while, without luck, yet. I already have a Shiny Ninetales obtained from a trade, but I would appreciate a new one that I got by myself more.

Vale_Star

Shiny Huntress

1) I ran into a shiny Whirlpede totally by chance in B2, nearly had a heart attack when it appeared. Also the first time I found a shiny Metang in the Giant Chasm in W2.
2) I caught a shiny Spritzee in X, I love him because he's so purple and cute, is now at level 100 and I have no Sachet left to evolve him into Aromatisse. Caught a shiny Dusclops in Y, now he's a lovely Dusknoir at level 100.
3) I think it's a tie between my first shiny ever my Whirlpede and my shiny Spritzee.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight

1. Articuno in SoulSilver due to the one-off nature of Legendary Pokémon and Eevee in XY for its 5% encounter rate.
2. Overall, Giratina (its the event one from Gen 5). Not counting Pokémon that are always shiny, it is tie between Skrelp and Eevee (now an Umbreon).
3. Easily Articuno, I was just catching for its Pokedex entry and never expected my first encounter with it ended up it being shiny. Spearow comes a close second for being the first shiny I caught (R.I.P shiny Oddish in Sapphire for fleeing, though I eventually reclaimed it in Gen 6).

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I got my shiny bug! :D After 2,274 REs a firefly with a blue collar floats up out of the grass.

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/652_zpsxtmvcaiv.jpg[/img139]

He's modest and mischievous, and he got his HA, Prankster. I'm quite pleased :D Will be moving to another safari and going after masquerain.

Shiny alphabet hunt round 2 remains at 1,000 REs. Ducklett is at 530 eggs.

Edit: After 688 eggs, I get my pink quack.

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/659_zpsftxujhvq.jpg[/img139]

He's timid and alert to sounds, and he hatched with his HA, Hydration. I named him Apollo because his evolved form is a swan and the swan is one of the sacred birds of Apollo, the Greek god of music and the sun.

Next MM will be magikarp. I already have a shiny gyarados, but chain fishing rarely yields shinies with good IVs, so I'm gonna breed one. Will be aiming for a jolly nature.

Community hunt complete!

Last edited:

SkyMew

So...

I just got two Shinies today.

A Shiny Entei in Omega Ruby and an outstanding 5IV Vulpix hatched in Pokémon Y.

I got them a lot faster than I would have imagined.

Last edited: