• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
Option a Shiny Kabuto when I was soft reseting at Ambrette Town to get a Kabuto with an Adamant or Jolly nature and Swift Swim on my X.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
That was quick...

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/662_zpsbqta2gcb.jpg[/img139]

After only 209 REs, my target appears. He's rash and somewhat vain, with Intimidate. Gonna shift safaris again and go after beautifly next.

Shiny alphabet hunt round 2 is at 1,300 REs. Magikarp is at 30 eggs. That hunt's probably going to be fairly quick just because magikarp hatches so darn fast

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
I few weeks ago, I traded my shiny Raikou for something else. Ever since, I had been wanting to replace it.
I had not SR'ed anything for months now, so I thought, why not do it myself? I have had a lot of good experiences with SR'ing legendaries, so I decided to do it.
I did about 10 SR's a few days ago, but I really got back into it yesterday.

At midnight last night, after about 867 SR's, Raikou shined.
Another quick hunt for me. I have reclaimed my past shiny. Yay.
This was on my OR, the version that I repeatedly replay to get more master balls. I used the one I had and caught it.
I am now off to check its IV's on my AS (I have yet to transfer it).

EDIT: Here are its stats. It is Quirky with 31 IV's in Attack, Defense, and Special Defense. Eh, still a shiny. Woo.

EDIT 2: I have been SR'ing for a shiny Lugia on my AS, even though I already have one from an earlier game. In fact, I already have all possible shiny legends in ORAS, but I just felt like doing some more SR'ing.
Just now, after about 780 SR's, Lugia shined. I have many master balls, and knowing that it only had 20 PP, I used one. Off to check its IV's now.
Modest synchronize worked, and its stats are 31 IV's in HP, Attack, Defense, and Special Attack. Nice.

EDIT 3: I have been SR'ing for a shiny Heatran (like above, I have one from an earlier game, but not from gen VI). After about only 280 SR's, it shined. I considered going for ultra balls for this one, but I just decided to use another master ball.
It has 31 IV's in Attack, Special Attack, and Special Defense. Modest synchronize worked here as well. Yay.

EDIT 4: OMG....I just majorly broke my record for SR'ing legends.
I just caught a shiny Mespirit after....wait for it....FOUR SR's. FOUR. Like, come on. I just got a shiny Heatran after ~280 SR's, and now this. I must have excellent luck today.
It has 31 IV's in HP, Defense, and Special Defense. It is Jolly as well.
My last record was my shiny Registeel with 86 SR's. But this is just unexpected.

Last edited:

camhines4

Chained a shiny Pinsir this morning in Platinum. Took only an hour, a shiny patch appeared at 24. Still hunting Lotad, but went after Pinsir today since it was the swarm of the day.

TheShinyLunatone

VAMPIRE LORDS!
So I have a question, or rather, an idea.

What if we collectively came up with a shiny questionnaire? For example:

What was the rarest situation in which you got a shiny?
Which shiny is your favorite?
Which shiny made you freak out the most?

I thought it would be something to sort of break the mold.

1. got a shiny geodude and a shiny marril within two encounters of eachother while ev training in heartgold

2. rayquaza and Victini

3. when my shiny onix finally hatched after 3 430 eggs. i was finally freeee
Fellow shiny hunters, i kinda need your help. i have OR, and i'm doing a fossil hunt, for my final shiny before the elite 4, so if anyone can donate root,claw, helix, and especially SKULL ffossils would be much appreciated tyrunt fossils would be nice too if it is possible to get extras of them?... cant go to trade forums because i have nothing to trade...

Last edited:

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
Got a male Hasty Eevee that I ended up turning into jolteon, really sad i haven't gotten a single girl since the first one. did about 200 more chain encounters with no luck so far, thinking of taking a break and doing something in Y version like a horde hunt. I'd try MM but it just takes so freaking long to get one egg to hatch haha.. is there any like super fast hatching pokemon i could try out to see if i can stand it? last time i did MM i did something like 2k eggs and it never showed up so i kinda have bad associations with it..

Cyberra

pain in the ***

1. My very first MM breed in Y was a female shiny eevee.

2. It's so hard to pick, honestly...

3. Roggenrola and regice. When that purple pebble finally hatched I yelled "OMFG FINALLY!" loud enough to startle my parents. And regice was my very first legendary SR so there was much "OMG OMG OMG I DID IT!!!" involved there.

Got a male Hasty Eevee that I ended up turning into jolteon, really sad i haven't gotten a single girl since the first one. did about 200 more chain encounters with no luck so far, thinking of taking a break and doing something in Y version like a horde hunt. I'd try MM but it just takes so freaking long to get one egg to hatch haha.. is there any like super fast hatching pokemon i could try out to see if i can stand it? last time i did MM i did something like 2k eggs and it never showed up so i kinda have bad associations with it..

The fastest-hatching pokemon is magikarp. That's what I'm breeding currently.

Anyway...

After 120 REs in another bug safari, I found another white vivillon. This one's a male, lonely and somewhat vain, with Compound Eyes. Gonna trade him off and keep looking for beautifly.

Shiny alphabet hunt round 2 is at 1,900 REs. Magikarp is at 460 eggs.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Paraqua on Munna, SkyMew on Tornadus, Cyberra on Ducklett, SkyMew on Entei and Vulpix, oarfish on Raikou, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks for the luck, Keane :)

-----------

Not quite sure what the first question means in terms of a ‘rare situation’, but I suppose my Audino and Drilbur (now Excadrill) fit the bill regardless. Both I found in a shaking patch/dust cloud on Black 2 while hunting other targets and not intentionally running into shaking patches. Never thought that would happen, and I’m not sure which was more surprising – that it happened at all or that it happened more than once.

Default favorite shiny has to be Umbreon. But there are so many good shinies that could also be my favorites.

Most exciting shiny would probably be Litwick. I was going to start shiny hunting once I played through Black 2, and never did I expect to find a shiny before that, but a Litwick appeared while I was EV training. In terms of scariest capture – probably Giratina as my final Platinum BQ target. Low PP + regular pokeball attempts + using only BQ pokemon = terrifying capture. Especially when it took 28k SRs to finally appear.

Good questions :)

-----------

Hit 4x odds on Black 2 today :| That’s at 32,800 REs, Platinum is at 9,300 REs, and HeartGold is at 3,700 REs. Not fond of this streak of bad luck I’ve run into…

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, ChaoticInverse, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, Razorbadger, Keane, Crimson Penguin, and Nakashima)!

Blastonite

Dream Crusher

Hm. Only 2k? .....

Anyway. I've had decent luck lately. I've managed to break my 3.5k egg bad luck with some quickish hunts. Ekans took about 1k. Seviper just under 2k and that's the worst for this session really. then I had good luck getting Houndour and Snorlax under 500. Thank goodness Snorlax was under odds cause those eggs take a year it feels like! Then I got my 2 for 1 with Nincada at just under 750 eggs. I am now hunting Thunderous cause I haven't done any SR hunts in a while so I figured why not xD

Congrats to all who have seen the Shine and to those still hunting I hope you see the Shine soon. :)

NitroLightningFlash

I never got along with the SR method - I found it was slower than just boxing and hatching later, but also hated releasing boxes and boxes at a time, but I found that boxing eggs up - let's say 3 boxes, so 90 eggs - writing that down somewhere, then whenever you come back to the PC after 5 eggs have hatched to deposit the 5 Bunearys, instead of depositing them, release them from your party there instead. Much cleaner as you're basically releasing as you hatch, rather than boxing them up to later be mass released.

I never thought of that, thanks for telling me. I agree it would be easier to do that way :D

I believe the first egg is always the same if you’re saving right before you collect it, so that would be a bad idea.

Oops, i didn't know this...i feel silly now haha...thanks for telling me! Ok i guess i won't do that for future hunts then ^^;

It can be hard with Masuda Method sometimes...what Pokemon were you hatching for when you went over 2k? That's over the odds :eek:

Yeah i know what you mean when you talk about eggs taking forever to hatch. When i was Masuda Methoding for Larvesta (who also takes forever to hatch), i eventually got her, and she came out just perfect and trust me she was SO worth the wait! ^^ Your work'll pay off eventually. Also yeah, if you're getting bored/feel like a break then it's a good idea to go on to something else for a while (as you say you could work on a Y hunt for a while, then come back and try again whenever you feel up to it) :3

Ok first of all congrats on all shinies!! Also...unfortunately i found out a few days ago that my friend already got a shiny Buneary and has a shiny Mawile (Mawile is his favorite mega) so...i don't have to hatch for one now, i'm kind of disappointed but then again he didn't know i was trying for one and he tried for such a long time for one so i'm happy for him that he finally got it after trying pretty much the whole year (albeit on and off but still) ^^

As for me...well i don't know who to try for really...should i continue to try for a shiny Buneary anyway?
I'm at 490 eggs now since my last shiny (Larvesta) so i guess i should go on trying shouldn't i? Hmm...Lopunny's my favorite Mega so maybe i should continue...but at the same time, i like my regular Lopunny just fine, what should i do? ~is thinking~ Dx

Anyway good luck on all hunts! ^^

Last edited:

umbreonfan3636

It's been a while since I've posted here. No shinies in a long time, but that doesn't mean I haven't been hunting. I'm at around 6k REs in Ruby version for Aron, and I'm around 2k SRs for Articuno in HG. It's been slow going finding time to hunt, but hopefully something will shine eventually.

Congrats to everyone who has caught a shiny recently!

I'm honestly not sure about the "rarest" situation that I've gotten a shiny. Probably one of my below odds hunts. I got Totodile at ~400 SRs in HG. I got shiny Mudkip in Ruby with no Poochyenas in 4 hours of SRing after replacing my Ruby's battery (now my game is at ~130 hours of gameplay and only Mudkip and Abra to show for it). The weirdest thing that's happened to me was finding two shiny Paras in the Bug Catching Contest in one week in HG on my BQ. It was ridiculous. I don't even like Paras.

My favorite shiny is probably either Mudkip (because it was a reclaim from my first SRed Mudkip in Ruby when I was ~11-13 years old) or Arcanine in my HG version. I used to have a Latias in Emerald that I was partial to as well, but that was erased a long time ago.

Recently, I was pretty nervous about Abra in Ruby because it had teleport (I had mean look though). Also, Growlithe had Roar and I needed to switch in a Soundproof Voltorb, which was a bit nerve-racking.

Good luck everyone, hopefully I'll have some shiny news soon.

Last edited:

camhines4

Some good luck for me the past two days. In addition to my Pinsir yesterday, I chained a shiny Chansey at 26 last night and a shiny Chatot at 40 this morning.

tui

moon upon a stick
Congrats to: wobbanut on Bellsprout, TheShinyLunatone on Sandshrew, Psychic on Drowzee, claus351 on Frogadier, Eevee x2 and Zigzagoon, Cyberra on Masquerain, Vivillon x2, Ducklett and Illumise, SkyMew on Tornadus, Entei and Vulpix, i2i on Kabuto, oarfish on Raikou and Lugia, camhines4 on Pinsir, Chansey and Chatot, Blastonite on Ekans, Seviper, Houndour, Snorlax and Nincada, and to anyone else I missed!

Welcome back, umbreonfan3636, and thank you for the luck CpChris!

I'm always game for a questionnaire, let me see...
Probably Beautifly in Eterna Forest, it has a 2% appearance rate and I got one after only ~800 REs. Not that I needed one, out of the three shiny Wurmple I caught during that hunt, all of them evolved into the Silcoon/Beautifly line, and then I found a Silcoon as well to top that off.

Out of the ones I own, probably Cranidos or Murkrow. Not only do they look great, but I found them at the end of a lot of long SRs for the former and a lot of Budew and Wurmple for the latter, definitely hunts I don't want to repeat on me (I do plan to SR for every fossil, so statistically I will have another one or two hunts.

Out of the ones I don't own, I tend to like shinies that are goldish in colour, such as Uxie and Ninjask. I often see other people get shinies that I'd never really thought of before - such as Kingdra, Ducklett/Swanna to name a recent couple - and just knowing I have to hunt for them in future because of how great they look.

Hmm. Turtwig possibly, I'd settled down knowing exactly how long the hunt I set out to do would take, with each SR taking roughly a minute, and then after only just over half an hour and 36SRs, a blue Turtwig pops out the ball, which I honestly didn't believe before I saw the sparkles. I'm now definitely thinking of going for another starter on Pearl, or if I decide to reset my Platinum so I can hunt for all the cool stuff that I just caught ~4 years ago. That file is old as hell.

---

Hunt wise, I played a lot of White 2 and now I have a Masterball for safety, I backtracked to Volcarona in Relic Castle, and that sits at 200SRs. I'll probably only do 100 of those a day until my current hunts finish, which are 15,200 REs in Valley Windworks and 3,000 for my Diamond BQ in Mt Coronet.

Anyway, good luck everybody, especially CpChris, Razorbadger and Crimson Penguin!

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter

Back when I was hunting for shiny female Combee I decided to take a break from Route 12 in Pokemon White and try headbutting for it in Soul Silver. After a bit over a week of headbutting I got yet another male shiny Combee. However, little did I know that there's a glitch in 4th gen games with using the Cute Charm and it can make the odds 1/24k for a shiny. So yeah, that very same male shiny Combee that I was so annoyed at ended up being a 1/24k shiny! Not many people can say they got a 1/24k shiny, even if it was unintentional for me lol.
Anything BLUE! <3 But if I had to pick, it would be Bisharp. Ugh, its perfect.
Vulpix I think. It was back in 2012 when I was really new to hunting, I don't think I even had a box full of shinies yet. This Vulpix MM hunt was like my first "long" hunt, all the shinies before took less than a week and I didn't really realize how lucky I was back then lol. So when this dang shiny Vulpix finally hatched after nearly a month of MMing I lost it lmao. I remember running around the house, screaming, making sure EVERYONE knew I had gotten a shiny Vulpix. Ahh, memories.

Great idea btw! We should come up with so more questions.

Hmm. Turtwig possibly, I'd settled down knowing exactly how long the hunt I set out to do would take, with each SR taking roughly a minute, and then after only just over half an hour and 36SRs, a blue Turtwig pops out the ball, which I honestly didn't believe before I saw the sparkles. I'm now definitely thinking of going for another starter on Pearl, or if I decide to reset my Platinum so I can hunt for all the cool stuff that I just caught ~4 years ago. That file is old as hell.

Jealous!

------------

Still no sparkles over here. Turtwig is at day 16 and I'm estimating I've done around 6-7k SRs, so still under odds but hopefully this doesn't take too much longer. Shaking spots is at 3.3k encounters which is over odds since I have the shiny charm in this game but I'm still hyped for this hunt. I also realized how in-theme shiny Unfezant would be with Thanksgiving just around the corner, but I still want them the least. >.>;

Gratz on the recent shinies and good luck everyone! :]

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats to Phillies on Poliwag, Foongus, Hoppip, Larvesta, Aron, Oddish x3, Nosepass, and Buneary, Cyberra on Butterfree, Amaura, Geodude, Tyrunt, Vivillon x2, Volbeat, Ducklett, and Masquerain, taufik386 on Rufflet, Scatterbug, and Duskull, Regi_Rocks on Foongus, SheroGH on Metang, Iwanuq on Klefki, Spearow, and Rufflet, Dangertrout on Throh x4, Tyrogue x4, Venonat, and Diglett (hope you're hanging in there okay btw), Paraqua on Munna, wobbanut on Bellsprout (too bad about the other one though), TheShinyLunatone on Sandshrew, Psychic on Drowzee, Claus351 on Eevee x2, Zigzagoon, and Frogadier, SkyMew on Tornadus, Entei, and Vulpix, oarfish on Raikou, Lugia, Heatran, and Mesprit (lucky you!), camhines4 on Pinsir, Chansey, and Chatot, Blastonite on Ekans, Seviper, Houndour, Snorlax, and Nincada, and anyone else I may have missed on your shinies!

Thanks to Cpchris and Keane for the luck!

In terms of appearance rate, my rarest shiny has to be my 5% Gliscor, which I randomly encountered in a shaking spot during my Black 2 Nuzlocke while Audino grinding. Needless to say, I threw the Nuzlocke rules right out the window for that capture. XD Another rare find was my random shiny Terrakion in White a few years ago - this was before I started shiny hunting, and I was just trying to reset for one with good IVs and nature. It couldn't have been more than about 50 resets before Terrakion showed up in red and tan, and I proceeded to freak the heck out. Luckily I caught it even without a Master Ball.

My favorite shiny is probably either Scolipede or the Treecko line - the bright red and ice blue color combination on them is simply gorgeous (although I might be biased because red is my favorite color). I was going to list off all my honorable mentions, but those are way too many to name. I like so many shinies, haha.

As for my biggest freak out, I've had quite a few... boisterous reactions to shinies, but the most memorable for me is my first shiny Eevee, which took 10,711 SRs and well over 100 hours of hunting. I was over the moon when he appeared - I screamed loud enough that my parents heard me in the other room, and I think it took me like 5 minutes to calm down. XD

We should have more questions like this more often, it's nice to reminisce about our old shinies once in a while. : D

On a more familiar topic, I've found it very difficult to find time to hunt this week due to school obligations, and no shinies appeared during the few sessions I managed to sneak into my schedule. Lugia is at 9800 SRs, Route 114 is at 8700 REs, Winding Woods is at 1100 REs, and Volcarona is underway at 100 SRs. Only about 1000 more SRs to go before Lugia becomes my longest hunt ever. >_< I don't know how often I'll get to hunt for the next couple of weeks between the holidays and finals rapidly approaching, but hopefully one of my targets will be nice and decide to shine soon.

Good luck to all of you on your hunts, especially Supremacy, Cpchris, and Keane!

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Well, that didn't take long time-wise though it did run up a decent egg count.

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/672_zpsjppuvall.jpg[/img139]

So hard to take decent pictures of a magikarp... *sigh* After 865 eggs I get my gold goldfish. She's jolly and somewhat vain, with Swift Swim, and she hatched with 5 perfect IVs. Gonna train her and get her evolved. Gonna be a bit annoying getting the right moves, though... gyarados learns Crunch by level-up in ORAS but not in XY. Hopefully I'll be able to find someone to either level her up to 41 in ORAS and teach her the move there, or take her to the move relearner in ORAS. I'll provide the rare candy/heart scale, whichever is needed. Her name comes from Finnish mythology, the goddess of the sea and storms. It fits a gyarados.

Next I'm going to re-breed torchic for better stats and an adamant nature.

Shiny alphabet hunt round 2 is at 2,600 REs.

Last edited:

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
I'll update the CH completion list tomorrow - for now, I'll just inform you all that you can send me your ideas for December CH.

My plan to do stuff here since yesterday was ruined by my house's refrigerator being dead lol. My family asked me to clean it and go with them to buy a new one.

1. I was randomly encountering Pokemon in HG, in Route 48, when a Shiny Diglett suddenly showed up. There's only 4% chance to encounter Diglett there. And it's HeartGold, Gen 4, meaning I encountered it with the old 1/8192 shiny chance. And yes, I caught it :D

2. Hard to say, there are so many shinies I love.

3. Since by that you meant "which shiny made you the most nervous about capturing?", then my answer is a shiny that takes ages to show up. And a shiny that has low PP/knows recoil or self-killing move/can run away.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
I like these questions, so I may as well answer them:

Which was the rarest situation you got a shiny in?

Well, I haven't really gone out of my way to get a shiny that is exceptionally rare. However, when I hunted my shiny Totodile, I ended up getting a jolly-natured female which in itself is quite rare indeed. Also, my shiny Snivy from White2 was also female, but didn't have the best nature for it.

Which shiny is your favourite?

Hands down, Giratina. Some of you around here will remember that I did 25,670 SRs for a Giratina on Platinum over a time span of nearly...8 months. When it did shine during an Arsenal v Liverpool match, it was pretty much set that Giratina would be my most treasured shiny. I lost the file it was on for a long time, but I found it again and it is now firmly set as my favourite.

My first shiny legendary was Lugia, and my reaction was that of a rather surprised shout and then proceeding to show my brother the shiny...and then I Master Balled it in front of him too. My brother is younger than me so yeah :D But anyways, it took me a fair bit of time to calm down.

Luckiest streak of shinies?

Ooh, my own question. I've had a few good runs in shiny hunting before, but none of them are as good as the run I had at the start of my SoulSilver badge quest. I got a shiny Totodile at just under 2,000 SRs, and then on the very same day I ended up getting a shiny Geodude. The next day, I hunted in Slowpoke Well and got a shiny Slowpoke in under 500 REs. The BQ didn't last for too long afterwards, sadly, but the run of shinies I had was so awesome.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I wasn't trying to shiny hunt When I caught my shiny Verizion. I saved before interacting just like I do with every legendary, but I forgot it couldn't be hit with Spore. I had to get to class so I shut the game off; I didn't have time to fly all the way to a town and change my team to get someone with Thunder Wave. The next time I loaded up my game, I forgot I was sitting in front of Verizion. I just used the TM for Thunder Wave because I new Verizion would disappear if I left. When I interacted with it the second time, it was shiny; only 1 SR.

I like the shinies that look completely different from their normal colors. My Hawlucha might be my favorite that I own.

I'm not the freak out type, but I was excited when I caught a shiny Fletchling only minutes into starting X for the first time on release day.

Still SRing for a Torchic in Emerald and I'm now on box 5 of my Bulbasaur MM in Y. I've found 4 flawless so far.

Last edited:

SkyMew

Thanks for all the congrats, and good luck to everyone looking for more Shinies!

A Shiny Suicune appeared today in my Alpha Sapphire in the morning.

I caught it in a Luxury Ball, its nature is Quirky, and its potential is above average.

I've had a lot of luck lately with Shinies, it seems.

One day, I also saw some post on Miiverse of a person claiming to have over 200 legitimately obtained Shinies. The person was probably working on the Shiny living dex.

That'd be too much work for me. :)