• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Paraqua

Beginning Trainer
Congrats to all recent shinies

So I have a question, or rather, an idea.

What if we collectively came up with a shiny questionnaire? For example:

What was the rarest situation in which you got a shiny?
Which shiny is your favorite?
Which shiny made you freak out the most?

I thought it would be something to sort of break the mold.

Shiny female Combee. The longest Masuda Method Hunt up to date after over 1530 eggs, mostly because of the low chance of finding a female combee (Only about 12,5 % chance). During this hunt, the first shiny Combee hatched after about 65 eggs but it was a male. After about another 300 eggs, a second shiny Combee hatched, but yet again, it was a male. Over 1200 eggs later, a shiny Combee hatched once again and it was a female.

Hard choice but my favourite shinies include:

- Hawlucha (It's shiny makes it look evil and mysterious, which is a nice touch)
- Charizard (Because the black makes it look even more awesome)
- Giratina
- Munna
- Virizion
- Sceptile

I would say this would be Shiny Zekrom, because it came out very quickly and was barely prepared for it.

Another instance was Shiny Virizion since it took me 3 attempts of finding and catching it in which the first two attempts failed because I was ill prepared for catching it.

In the past week I did manage to catch multiple shinies.

While chainfishing for a shiny Corsola, I ended up with 6 or 7 shiny Luvdisc and 3 shiny Wailmer. I took a break from fishing and tried for some soft-resetting for a shiny legendary, so yesterday morning I took my aim at Kyurem.

Within a few hundered soft resets with multiple breaks between them, shiny Kyurem showed up and after paralyzing and false swiping the ice dragon into submission, it took about 3 Ultra balls to catch the beast. I named it Genos (After the Android side-kick/pupil of Saitama from One Punch Man) and it's Serious nature with perfect IV's in HP, ATK and Sp. ATK.

Good luck to all future shinies =D

Alatar VGC

House Greyjoy
Hi everyone!

Congratulations to all the shinies that have popped up! I wish all those MMing and RE'ing all the best!

I was just clearing out my boxes for further breeding projects when this little guy caught me completely by surprise :D

[img139]http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr207/ckpencarrow92/Charmander1_zps0nlqtpds.png[/img139]
[img139]http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr207/ckpencarrow92/Charmander2_zps3psyrf6m.png[/img139]
[img139]http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr207/ckpencarrow92/Charmander3_zpsfpgbmf66.png[/img139]

I rushed to the IV checker and.... my game hates me. :( Haha. Tho to be fair, I hadn't gotten an "outstanding" parent yet. So I can't really complain about the IV's.
He's got "Superior potential".
With IV's in his HP, Defence, Special Attack and Special Defence.
Considering he's Jolly and destined for Mega X this is disappointing.

I wasn't really going for a shiny. Just a 5IV one. I must admit, it's nice to have a golden Charmander. However again, this is just a trophy shiny.
But I am fired up for my own shiny Mega X now!
>.<

So i'm going to get my "outstanding" shiny Charmander :3 Hopefully I'll be back here before too long :p

Last edited:

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Congratulations of all of the recent shinies!

Cool. A new page.
I thought I would go ahead and answer Auraninja's questions.

Hmmm.... I honestly am not sure. I did get my shiny Girafarig back in gen IV doing chain Pokeradaring. I only had a chain of four before it shined. I suppose that is pretty rare.

Well, that Girafarig I still have. I really like that. Also, my entire shine legend collection. I have over 50 shiny legends at this moment, many of which I caught myself.

Maybe my shiny Serperior when it hatched as a Snivy. I was only looking for a HA female Snivy, and the second egg hatched shiny. (Yes, it had its HA, but it was male.) That is now a serperior with all available in-game ribbons in ORAS.
There is also that Mespirit I caught two days ago. Four encounters and it shined.

Anyways, here is some information about my shiny hunts lately.

Sunday--Raikou. ~860 SR's.
Monday--Lugia. ~780 SR's. Heatran. ~280 SR's. Mespirit. Four encounters.
Less than 40 total hours. I have been SR'ing for another shiny Entei over the past day or so. I am at about 800 SR's for it currently.

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
It can be hard with Masuda Method sometimes...what Pokemon were you hatching for when you went over 2k? That's over the odds :eek:

Yeah i know what you mean when you talk about eggs taking forever to hatch. When i was Masuda Methoding for Larvesta (who also takes forever to hatch), i eventually got her, and she came out just perfect and trust me she was SO worth the wait! ^^ Your work'll pay off eventually. Also yeah, if you're getting bored/feel like a break then it's a good idea to go on to something else for a while (as you say you could work on a Y hunt for a while, then come back and try again whenever you feel up to it) :3

It was for solosis. I know 2k doesn't sound like much but it was my first hunt so it left an impression on me i guess :/ if i do one i'll let you guys know, haha.

Frogadier became Greninja, and i still haven't gotten another shiny eevee. at the moment i'm doing REs in a friend safari in Y for dragon (Either Fraxure, Noibat, or Sliggoo) so wish me luck on that. happy thanksgiving to all btw!

I think my next goal is going to be to collect every shiny pokemon that has a mega evolution. I already have a few, but i'd mainly be aiming for the ones introduced in ORAS. lets see.. that includes (not including ones i already have)
beedrill
pidgeot
slowbro
sceptile
swampert
sableye
camerupt
alteria
glalie
latios & latias
Gallade
Audino
:)

Last edited:

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Hmm, no ideas yet for December CH? I already said since the 23rd that you can send the ideas to me :p

I'll check again tomorrow, on around same time as this post ;) And yes, I do have an idea in mind just in case there's no idea sent to me.

Also, CH completion list updated.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Doing some chain fishing on route 21, looking for a shiny dratini (and yes, I know it's going to take forever to get). On the sixth cast I got a shiny red-stripe basculin. She's bold and somewhat vain, with Reckless. Gonna send it into wonder trade since I already have both formes of basculin shiny.

Shiny alphabet hunt round 2 is at 2,900 REs. Torchic is at 220 eggs.

Edit: Shiny basculin #2 after 102 casts. This one is male, hasty, somewhat vain, and has Reckless. Into wonder trade he goes, and back to fishing I go.

Edit #2: After a couple broken chains and one chain of 27, I get a third sparkly piranha. Male, naive, somewhat vain, with Reckless. Bye-bye, basculin; into wonder trade you go

Edit #3: Final tally for the night is four shiny basculin and a buttload of broken chains. No shiny dratini yet

Edit #4: I went into a dragon safari to catch a female dragonair in a heal ball so I could breed dratini if I chose to...

...and I found a random shiny sliggoo. Female, naughty, likes to thrash about, and has Hydration. I have a shiny goodra already, so I'm going to trade her off.

Last edited:

Anti Spiral

After finally completing my Pokedex, I've started doing some shiny hunting. Started with a test run on something easy and managed to get a Wurmple fairly quickly. I'm now attempting an Absol, at about 200 attempts so far :)

I currently have a few shinies, mostly from events/story, but have one Ursaring from a RE, which I posted in here a while ago. :)

TheShinyLunatone

VAMPIRE LORDS!
after almost 2000 fossils seen i accidently saved after reviving fossils. now i have no fossils ad no shiny. life booty.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Hmm, no ideas yet for December CH? I already said since the 23rd that you can send the ideas to me :p

I'll check again tomorrow, on around same time as this post ;) And yes, I do have an idea in mind just in case there's no idea sent to me.

Also, CH completion list updated.

How about we encounter a shiny in a icy/snow area!

Kanto: Seafoam Islands, Mt. Silver (Peak).
Johto: Ice Path.
Hoenn: ...? Shoal Cave I guess lol?
Sinnoh: Route 216, Route 217, Acuity Lakefront, Mt. Coronet (Peak).
Unova: Cold Storage, Giant Chasm, Route 6, 7, 8, 20, Virbank Complex, Floccery Ranch and Dragonspiral Tower (Winter).
Kalos: Frost Cavern, Route 17.

Let me know if I missed anything or something you think shouldn't be there.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats to Cyberra on Magikarp, Basculin x4, and Sliggoo, SkyMew on Suicune, Paraqua on all the Luvdisc, Wailmer x3, and Kyurem, Regi_Rocks on Charmander, AntiSpiral on Wurmple, and anyone else I may have missed on your shinies!

OMG yes!!! Last night, my third-longest hunt ever came to an end!

Shiny Lugia after 9823 SRs!!!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it. I was watching TV while dual hunting for Swablu on Route 114, and all of a sudden there was a pink Lugia on my SoulSilver - I think my incredulous gasp made me sound like I was dying. XD I was just so happy this thing didn't go over 10,000 SRs. The battle was a little annoying, but overall it wasn't too bad. I had my trusty Smeargle alternate between Spore and Super Fang until Lugia was in the red, then I started chucking Heal Balls. I was getting worried because the first 17 balls I threw didn't shake at all... but only 4 balls later, click! Shiny Lugia was mine. I named it Arashi (Japanese for 'storm'), and it has a Careful nature, which isn't great, but at least it boosts Lugia's already high Special Defense. I'm very proud to call it my own, and it marks my 5th shiny legendary! Also it makes a great Thanksgiving present. : D

Afterwards, I trekked up to Victory Road and the Elite 4. Even though all my shinies (aside from Lugia) were in the level 35 range, I didn't bother level grinding them up before taking on the E4, because ain't nobody got time for that. XD I went in with way less Potions and Revives than I normally do because I was short on cash, but in the end, I still triumphed over Lance and beat the Johto portion of the game. Now I'll be off to obtain my first badge from Kanto, and then my next hunt will begin. I'll be returning to Route 36, where I caught my Nidoran earlier in the BQ, so I can repel trick for a second chance at Vulpix. I think I'll be able to repel out everything else except Pidgey, so I'm hoping the odds are good that I'll find one of my long-awaited targets. Meanwhile, Route 114 is at 9000 REs, Winding Woods is at 1200 REs, and Volcarona is at 200 SRs.

Good luck to all of you on your hunts, especially Supremacy, Cpchris, and Keane! And happy Thanksgiving to all you fellow Americans out there. ^_^

tui

moon upon a stick
Huge congrats to Crimson Penguin on that Lugia! Now it's good luck to you on getting that other nasty long hunt done! Thank you for the luck aswell ^^

Congrats to: Cyberra on Magikarp, Basculin x4 (hope you can find that Dratini though!) and Sliggoo, SkyMew on Suicune, Paraqua on Luvdisc x6/7, Wailmer x3 and Kyurem, Regi_Rocks on Charmander, Anti Spiral on Wurmple, and to anyone else I missed!

One day, I also saw some post on Miiverse of a person claiming to have over 200 legitimately obtained Shinies. The person was probably working on the Shiny living dex.

I'm pretty sure multiple people here have over 200 shinies too, it's certainly a lot of dedication to find that amount. I should stop disappearing and not hunting for months on end... I proposed in January to catch at least one shiny for every month of the year, and I've taken two long breaks since then!

Unova: Cold Storage, Giant Chasm, Route 6, 7, 8, 20, Virbank Complex, Floccery Ranch and Dragonspiral Tower (Winter).

I second this idea! Because it's so so cold at least where I live at the moment, it seems to match well and we don't seem to have many route specific CHs?

Anyway, 17,500REs in Valley Windworks and 3.4k in Mt. Coronet. Volcarona still sits at a paltry 200SRs because I want 4th gen sparkles, they're still probably my favourite.

Anyway, good luck everybody, especially CpChris and Razorbadger!

SheroGH

Congrats to all recent shinies!!

I have two new shinies, first this one that I wanted for so long and finally got one!!

bulba_zpsjb94a4w1.jpg

It shine at 244 Eggs. Sadly, it doesn't have his HA but oh well!!
And this one shined today!!

char_zpszljnxjdh.jpg

It shine at 473 Eggs and it doesn't have his HA either and his speed is really bad :( but I love it!!

Now I will focus more on my Mewtwo hunt on 3rd Gen! It's at 1500 SRs.

Good luck to everyone on their hunt!

Last edited:

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
finalllyyyyyyyyyyyy

I have stopped measuring shiny hunts in numbers unless it's chaining or MM because it's a pain i just measure by time. So that being said it took me something like a collective 7 hours to get a shiny sliggoo!!!!! male, relaxed nature. IVs in defense and special defense.. seems like a pretty tanky dude. gonna EV train him soon.

but the dreaded time has come. i'm picking up my MM again on that sableye. I only did like 3 boxes before i gave up last time, goodness knows how long i can last...... pray for me </3 good luck and congrats on all hunts!

Is Y a good version to do a badge quest on ? I know the starter takes forever to SR but you don't technically need to do the starter right? what are your guys' thoughts?

Also for the monthly thing i totally agree with above about the snowy area thing :D

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Blastonite on Ekans, Seviper, Houndour, Snorlax, and both Nincada; Cyberra on Magikarp, SkyMew on Suicune, Paraqua on Kyurem, Regi_Rocks on Charmander, Crimson Penguin on Lugia, SheroGH on Bulbasaur and Charmander, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks for the luck, Keane and Crimson Penguin ^ ^

-----------

Luckiest streak of shinies?

I’ve had a few streaks…Probably the most prominent one in my eyes would be my luck this past June where I found eight 1/8192 shinies, which started off with that crazy dust cloud Drilbur. It was also when I got the 10% Vulpix that I really wanted but never expected to get without repel tricking.

In a day, it would have to be when I had a 3-in-1-day starting out with a Totodile, then a Tentacool, and finally a Horsea.

Also, both of my BQs started off pretty nicely (before getting a fair bit crueler towards the end). On Platinum, I got my starter after 4.3k SRs, then found Starly while training after 101 REs, then found a Machop while still training Piplup/Prinplup 369 REs after Starly. And then a still-under-odds Bidoof while hunting after 5.6k (followed by my bad luck of a 17k Abra fail then a 46k Shinx). And on my HeartGold BQ, I got the third and final trio of the Johto starters after 2.7k REs, then a 3.4k Sentret, then a 2.6k Nidoran F, then another Nidoran F after 1.7k REs, then a Nidoran M after 135 REs – 4 shinies all under odds even when combining their total REs (But then followed 5 out of my next 6 hunts being over 10k).

One day, I also saw some post on Miiverse of a person claiming to have over 200 legitimately obtained Shinies. The person was probably working on the Shiny living dex.
I'm pretty sure multiple people here have over 200 shinies too, it's certainly a lot of dedication to find that amount. I should stop disappearing and not hunting for months on end... I proposed in January to catch at least one shiny for every month of the year, and I've taken two long breaks since then!

Not that surprising when you think about it. Pretend that people didn’t start hunting until X/Y came out [which introduced changes/new methods that made shinies a lot easier to find – odds cut in half overall (plus the shiny charm since B2/W2), Horde encounters, MM (in other generations, though usually the odds get kinder with each gen), Friend Safari, Poke Radar (also from DPPt), Fish Chaining]…That was over 2 years ago. That’s over 750 days. Plus ORAS, which introduced DexNaving, came out over a year ago – 365 days.

If you ever watch a stream of people using these methods, it’s pretty common to watch them get multiple shinies in one stream. Even in this thread it’s not uncommon for people to report finding 3-4 shinies in a single day. And a long hunt now is generally something that takes over 500 DexNavs or 1k-2k FS encounters – a week’s worth of encounter for plenty of hunters? – so even ‘bad luck’ usually only lasts a week. With these games out for over 750 days and people EASILY being able to find multiple shinies in a day? I’d say 200 is a low number. Even if someone didn’t start hunting until ORAS came out, 200 legit shinies wouldn’t surprise me.

-----------

Well, my luck still sucks. 700 REs today. 34,800 REs on Black 2, 11,300 REs on Platinum, and 5,700 REs on HeartGold.

As strange as this is to say, as much as I want Lairon to shine already, I feel like now would be a good time for Spearow and/or Raticate to shine. They’re shinies that I want/need, but aren’t really that exciting. So in my current state of extreme thirst for shinies, I feel like this is a time where those two shinies will have their maximum potential to feel rewarding. As opposed to a time when I’m finding shinies more regularly…

Although if those things want to shine and then Lairon all in one day, I am totally okay with that.

Gonna start bolding the people I specifically wish luck to who are active…I just don’t wanna take anyone out even if they haven’t posted in a (very long) while :x

Good luck, everyone (especially Razorbadger, Keane, CrimsonPenguin, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, ChaoticInverse, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Not much news in the shiny hunting for me, but I did get a shiny fletchling by random encounter in Y, so Community Hunt complete!

I also surprisingly got a shiny charmander in WT, so I'll add it to my shiny Rocketdex once it's fully evolved (a reference to season nine's Grating Spaces, since delibird gave them aggron and charizard with the intent to keep, even if it was a mistake).

Plus, I've finally started AlphaSapphire, so I'm SR'ing for a shiny mudkip. Hopefully it won't take too long.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Okay, we now have three ideas for December CH, so let's vote :D

As usual, PM me your vote.

welp,how about fire type shinies? especially ones with a flame.

the reason being, alot of holidays this time of year, and since kwanza, chanuka, and christmas all involve candles (stretching it a bit for christmas) candles =fire, ch = fire types/ SPECIFICALLY pokes with a flame?

chimchar line
cyndaquill line
emboar-line
charmander line
LITWICK LINE OF COURSE
delphox line
ponyta line
magmar line
moltres
torchic line
Pyroar line
reshiram

any ones im missing too.

its more exciting/inclusive than just red/green shinies, but less diverse.

Hey, how about for December we hunt for a shiny that is not water or ice, but can learn ice move?
(not including hidden power, of course, otherwise we'll be hunting for everything)

So the focus of the hunt is on things like Gastly line (Icy Wind), or any non-Water / non-Ice that can learn Ice Punch/Ice Fang/Ice Beam.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
@ Shine - My vote is for hunting in an icy area.

Anyway...

The Dratini Quest is continuing on route 21. Tonight's haul is three shiny basculin and two shiny poliwhirl. The last basculin came after a chain of 151, making it my longest successful fishing chain by 1 cast (previous record was a skrelp on a chain of 150).

Shiny alphabet hunt round 2 is at 3,100 REs. Torchic is at 270 eggs. I didn't have much time to hunt today...

serpent222

I'm a little late to the party, but I figured I'd give it a go, anyway.

I'm not sure what would be the rarest situation. My rarest shiny is probably Cryogonal, due to how difficult it is to catch one. Got it in under 100 eggs.

Oh, I accidentally bred a shiny weedle via regular breeding without a shiny charm. That was probably my most unlikely shiny.

Nidoking. In Y, I hit about 900 hordes trying for a shiny Nidoran male, as Nidoking is one of my all time favorites. When I finally got one, I freaked. Kept it on my team and raised him to level 100, and I still use him from time to time.

Either Scatterbug or Ho-oh. Scatterbug was the first pokemon I tried to use the MM for in pokemon Y. I went to about 2,900 eggs, I think. I had actually quit and switched out the pokemon. I had ten eggs boxed that I hatched and it was in there. That made me quite happy. Ho-Oh was the first time I tried to reset for a legendary. I had no concept of how long it might take, and I ended up getting it in a little over 326 tries. I squee'd pretty hard for that.

Laurelai

About time :D I've been busy, so my Dex Nav hunt went slowly, but after 608 dex navs, Pidove decided to shine for me. This is just a trophy hunt, I didn't try to sync nature, so its just my pretty bird :D
COMMUNITY HUNT COMPLETE!

[img139]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m36/Laure1ai/IMG_20151126_080320.jpg_zpsim4l0var.png[/img139]