• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

camhines4

Anyone have advice for chaining (Gen IV) in small patches of grass? I can chain quite well in certain large patches but in the smaller ones, it seems like every 4-away is on an edge.

Also- didn't realize I completed the Community Hunt when I caught my Chatot. Will probably go for Sneasel or Snorunt in Platinum if the icy route hunt is chosen.

Oh dang! New shiny captured! After a short 14 egg hunt, this beauty came to me with it's beautiful green, crocodile body. That's right! A shiny Sandile! It's Serious with Intimidate. I don't have a picture though sadly. ;-;

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
Wow. i stand VERY corrected.

Egg # 87 since my retry for the mm hatched me a shiny sableye already! wow!!!! it has a crappy ability (not its HA like i wanted) and it doesnt have GREAT IVs so... I still have another box i have so i'll hatch those and see if i get lucky again- i doubt it, and im very happy with the result anyways since i never use them competitively, i just like having them set up so they potentially could. Very happy! very excited. I don't even know what hunt i have planned next since this caught me so off guard!

edit: also in case you didnt see it, i voted for snowy area so :D

edit 2: 10 eggs later i got another ShINY SABLEYE WHAT IT STILL HAS KEEN EYE BUT I HAVENT ChECKED THE IVS HOW WHAT HOW

edit 3: Both have keen eye, both have no egg moves (!?!? i thought those always passed on) and both are female with meh IVs. none of the others turn out shiny... Oh well. Guess i'm giving my other one to my girlfriend unless someone on here wants it for an event i dont have like meloetta or something but this is a shiny topic so who would xP next up is Absol. :D

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I have another shiny to report, and for a change it's not a basculin or a poliwhirl! :D

(It's not a dratini either, unfortunately...)

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/673_zpsejhtu7jy.jpg[/img139]

Only 10 REs into today's leg of the shiny alphabet hunt, 3,110 REs total, I look down to find this scrolling across the screen. Shiny Unown-U! It's gentle and strong-willed, with Levitate. I'm not even trying to be clever with names now XD;;;;

I've moved to the very bottom level of the Solaceon Ruins and am now hunting Unown-D.

Unown-D is at 300 REs. Torchic is at 340 eggs. Dratini Quest stands at 7 basculin and 2 poliwhirl.

Edit: HA!

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/681_zpssehl80un.jpg[/img139]

Take that, 5% encounter rate! Oh yes! After innumerable broken chains, 9 shiny basculin, and 3 shiny poliwhirl, I found a pink dratini! He's named after the Mayan god, the feathered serpent that was the messenger between Mayan kings and the gods. He's sassy and likes to relax, with Shed Skin. As expected for a fishing shiny, his stats are "meh" at best, but I don't care :D

He will be remaining a dratini as I already have a green dragonite. Now back to my torchic MM.

Last edited:

serpent222

Just since I haven't had internet for a while, may as well do an update. (And congrats on all of the shinies that were obtained in my absence).

It really seems that starters always take longer for me. I lost count long ago, but I had a 3 week MM hunt for a shiny charmander. I finally got one, if I were to estimate, somewhere in the 900 egg range. It has 5 perfect IVs with a solid spread, but it didn't have its HA like I was trying for. Other than him, I think I just got a shiny swablu in a horde encounter.

Currently working on an HA shiny squirtle. I'm about 150 eggs in with a box of unhatched ones.

One day, I also saw some post on Miiverse of a person claiming to have over 200 legitimately obtained Shinies. The person was probably working on the Shiny living dex.

I currently have just shy of 7 boxes of distinct shiny species, and I think my count is currently 203. That is NOT including my repeat non-evolved shinies. Were I to go through and evolve all of them I have in waiting, I'd probably hit somewhere between 260-270. I didn't start hunting until Y, and have only hunted in Y and OR. I didn't start hunting until I got the shiny charm, so that helped considerably. And I did this with very long breaks in gameplay and weeks between shinies very often.

If you want an idea of the time it took, I have only accumulated shinies on two game files. My total game time on Y is about 702 hours, and OR is 394. So remove the time it took to play the actual games and fill my pokedexes, and that would give you the amount of time it has taken me to get those shinies. I take my time playing through, but you can safely assume it took a bit above 1,000 hours, so I guess I'd average a shiny every 4 hours of gameplay (post dex completion).

Last edited:
Just since I haven't had internet for a while, may as well do an update. (And congrats on all of the shinies that were obtained in my absence).

It really seems that starters always take longer for me. I lost count long ago, but I had a 3 week MM hunt for a shiny charmander. I finally got one, if I were to estimate, somewhere in the 900 egg range. It has 5 perfect IVs with a solid spread, but it didn't have its HA like I was trying for. Other than him, I think I just got a shiny swablu in a horde encounter.

Currently working on an HA shiny squirtle. I'm about 150 eggs in with a box of unhatched ones.

I currently have just shy of 7 boxes of distinct shiny species, and I think my count is currently 203. That is NOT including my repeat non-evolved shinies. Were I to go through and evolve all of them I have in waiting, I'd probably hit somewhere between 260-270. I didn't start hunting until Y, and have only hunted in Y and OR. I didn't start hunting until I got the shiny charm, so that helped considerably. And I did this with very long breaks in gameplay and weeks between shinies very often.

If you want an idea of the time it took, I have only accumulated shinies on two game files. My total game time on Y is about 702 hours, and OR is 394. So remove the time it took to play the actual games and fill my pokedexes, and that would give you the amount of time it has taken me to get those shinies. I take my time playing through, but you can safely assume it took a bit above 1,000 hours, so I guess I'd average a shiny every 4 hours of gameplay (post dex completion).

what are most of those from? fishing and friend safari hunting would make it easiest... and i do mostly eggs, but lets see how many shiny pokemon i have and my time
over 1650 hours on pokemon x, and 67 hours on omega ruby...66 shiny pokemon on X(that were obtained on x, and one is shedninja so that doesnt really count) and omega ruby has 6, but 4 are from x, i have the shiny charm on x, and all of those shinies are post-shiny charm, and no shiny charm on OR
according to my math, that's roughly 1 shiny per 24 hours of gameplay, but of course i do a bit of battling and hatching eggs takes time, plus i've really been playing a lot less recently. from other games i only have 3 shiny pokemon, and one is the LOR gyarados but i never really actively hunted much pre-xy, only a few times i've tried and only a bit at a time

anyways, i've hatched about 30 eggs on wednesday, thursday, and friday and will try to do the same amount today
good luck everyone, and congrats on all of those shiny pokemon

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
I totally lied, next up isn't absol- it's Treeko or Mudkip. Want to know why? I stopped by target today and learned their 3DS games were 50% off. Needless to say i now own my own copy of Alpha Sapphire to 1. show my dedication to the game series and my love for the original r/s/e and 2. do a badge quest on one of my favorite games! I'm really happy. I'm going to start SRing for mudkip or treeko (alternating every other reset) in the hopes of getting something relatively quickly. Also grabbed 2 Hoopas (i'm offering one for anyone who couldnt get it due to distance problems for similar event onlys :) ) and a groudon figure from the mcdonalds happy meal menu because i'm in college with copious amounts of facial hair and i collect plastic pokemon toys. I don't know what the sealed card is but maybe in 10 years it'll be worth something so i'll keep that. Wish me luck! i might be able to dual hunt if i can borrow my brother's 3ds (which is really mine i just gave it to him when i got the New) since he never uses it really. In that case i'd do horde hunts on Y or something.

SheroGH

Congrats on all recent shinies!!

OMG!!! I can't believe it!!!
I finally got it!!! After 8370 SRs on Soul Silver and 2900 SRs on two Fire Red and one Leaf Green, Mewtwo decided to shine!!!!

Shiny%20Mewtwo_zpseb4amtpp.png

This shiny is one of my favorite!! I wanted him so much and now is finally mine!! I did 400 SRs in the afternoon and now I was doing more SRs and 100 SRs later, it shine!! I will train him to become a Mewtwo X someday.

I'm so happy right now!!

Good luck in all of your hunt!!!

Last edited:

tui

moon upon a stick
Congrats to: SheroGH on Bulbasaur, Charmander and Mewtwo (Mewtwo is an amazing shiny, that green is so perfect!), Claus351 on Sliggoo and Sableye x2, wobbanut on Fletchling, Cyberra on Basculin x5, Poliwhirl x3, Unown U and Dratini, Anti Spiral on Absol, Laurelai on Pidove, SnazzySwampert on Sandile, and to anyone else I missed!

Not that surprising when you think about it. Pretend that people didn’t start hunting until X/Y came out [which introduced changes/new methods that made shinies a lot easier to find – odds cut in half overall (plus the shiny charm since B2/W2), Horde encounters, MM (in other generations, though usually the odds get kinder with each gen), Friend Safari, Poke Radar (also from DPPt), Fish Chaining]…That was over 2 years ago. That’s over 750 days. Plus ORAS, which introduced DexNaving, came out over a year ago – 365 days.

If you ever watch a stream of people using these methods, it’s pretty common to watch them get multiple shinies in one stream. Even in this thread it’s not uncommon for people to report finding 3-4 shinies in a single day. And a long hunt now is generally something that takes over 500 DexNavs or 1k-2k FS encounters – a week’s worth of encounter for plenty of hunters? – so even ‘bad luck’ usually only lasts a week. With these games out for over 750 days and people EASILY being able to find multiple shinies in a day? I’d say 200 is a low number. Even if someone didn’t start hunting until ORAS came out, 200 legit shinies wouldn’t surprise me.

That makes sense, kind of highlights how effective those methods are :x I've only managed to amass 20 shinies over two years, and the rate at which I hunt when I'm actively hunting probably almost cancels out the times where I've not hunted atall. I'm not bitter though, it's really really nice to see sparkles pop up once in a blue moon and be able to excited about them rather than see them knowing I've seen them every other day for a month, I still like that thrill.

That's not to say I'd like my hunts to not be kinder to me right now - 18,600 REs in Valley Windworks, 4,200 in Mt. Coronet and then 1,200 in Virbank Complex which I started Friday night and promptly paused Saturday morning because rain. There's nothing like a double intimidate Growlithe encounter in the rain to take upwards of 30 seconds to get out of.

Not sure what I'm going to do with Platinum. Eventually I want to transfer my foreign Ditto up to W2, but first I need to hatch any shinies that need to trade to be evolved, and I'm not really in the mood for hatching. And most of the routes kinda suck because of all the Roselia/Geodude/Machop/--bats that I want to avoid like the plague. Maybe I'll K.O all the birds, rebattle the league and soft reset for them - I don't need a masterball for that, and it'll keep me occupied for a long time.

Anyway, good luck everybody, especially CpChris and Razorbadger!

stardog-champ

Just found a shiny Purugly a few weeks ago. I was leveling up some Pokemon on one of the mirage spots, and a shiny Purugly appeared - it caught me off guard, but I was still able to catch it!

camhines4

Congrats to SheroGH on that Mewtwo! 1/8192 shinies are my favorite. I once hunted Mewtwo in Gen III but could never finish the job, so props!

The other night I caught a shiny Duskull in Platinum on a chain of 27. Went for more but the chain came to a heartbreaking end at 38. I evolved Duskull into Dusclops.

And today, I caught a shiny Seviper on a chain of only 15! I have been getting lucky recently in finding shinies well before I get to 40.

November has been my most prolific month of shiny Pokemon ever, with 6. Also, in 2015 I have more than doubled my shiny count. I attribute this to improvements in chaining. Finally getting the hang of it has been awesome.

tonyg44x

Poke-Ballin'
Been a bit since i posted last, but i come bearing shiny news.

Last month i started a MM hunt for Nidoran for the CH, unfortunately i wasnt able to acquire a shiny in time. But that didnt stop me from hatching on. Finally egg 1378 of 1950,my longest hunt post shiny charm, hatched with this shiny female. She's adamant natured and only missing hp iv, no HA though.
[IMG139]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e376/agoff4/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsqqy95t7i.jpg[/IMG139]

After egg 1950 of Nidoran i decided to take a break from it and take a whack at the CH for this month. Egg 288 of 300 hatched with my target.
She has her HA but is missing the attk iv.
[IMG139]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e376/agoff4/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsljdlseie.jpg[/IMG139]
CH complete

I will now return to Nidoran in hopes of a male.
As always congrats on all new shinies and good luck on all current hunts!

tui

moon upon a stick
I hate to post twice in one day, but...

First of all, congrats to stardog_champ on Purugly, camhines4 on Duskull and Seviper, tonyg44x on Nidoran and Farfetch'd (and welcome back!), and to anyone else I missed!

Before I mentioned the rain at Virbank Complex, and how it was an utter pain as it slowed the encounters a lot, but after doing 500 REs at my favourite place the Valley Windworks, I decided to switch it up a bit, and get up to 1500 at the Complex. Needless to say, that didn't happen, as on the 1,446th encounter...

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/XWeDbpx.png[/img139]

Shiny Elekid! I was happy getting anything in this area, except maybe Patrat as I'm bound to come across a shiny one of those at some point, but I got one of the area exclusives from this place! The sparkles made me jump, and honestly I'm glad they did - there's very little difference between the normal form and the shiny form of these guys, even though when looking up the sprite on the internet I thought I'd easily be able to tell the difference, but nope!

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/R2aKLD5.png[/img139]

I named him Bulb, and he got a Naive (!!) nature which really benefits that line's speed. I already decided to EV him in speed and sp. attack, regardless of his IVs - but when I plugged them into a calculator, his Sp. Attack had median 20, and his Speed median 24, which were his two best IVs! He's going to make a pretty badass pokemon to say I randomly encountered for him.

I only started this hunt two days ago, and barely touched it yesterday, so I'm happy White 2 gave me a quick shiny. I'll be staying here until Winter switches over (about 10 days), when I'll go hunt Cubchoo on route 7.

I also updated my shiny card with both this guy and Skitty - I also added little symbols relating to the games I found them on!... which leads to the bad news - I didn't realise until adding them that my brother reset his Pearl without me realising, so I lost a shiny Budew. I'm keeping her on there, because that hunt absolutely sucked, but I don't really mind too much since I have two other Budew plus Roselia plus Roserade from the wonderful Eterna Forest.

Anyway, good luck everybody, especially CpChris and Razorbadger!

serpent222

what are most of those from? fishing and friend safari hunting would make it easiest... and i do mostly eggs, but lets see how many shiny pokemon i have and my time
over 1650 hours on pokemon x, and 67 hours on omega ruby...66 shiny pokemon on X(that were obtained on x, and one is shedninja so that doesnt really count) and omega ruby has 6, but 4 are from x, i have the shiny charm on x, and all of those shinies are post-shiny charm, and no shiny charm on OR
according to my math, that's roughly 1 shiny per 24 hours of gameplay, but of course i do a bit of battling and hatching eggs takes time, plus i've really been playing a lot less recently. from other games i only have 3 shiny pokemon, and one is the LOR gyarados but i never really actively hunted much pre-xy, only a few times i've tried and only a bit at a time

anyways, i've hatched about 30 eggs on wednesday, thursday, and friday and will try to do the same amount today
good luck everyone, and congrats on all of those shiny pokemon

So I checked and from least to most:
-Random Encounter
-Soft reset
-Dexnav
-Trades (usually from trading either an event for a shiny, or one shiny for multiples)
-Fishing
-Hordes/friend safaris
-MM

I complain about my starter hunts being long, but the fact is, most of my hunts are pretty well below odds. About 65% of my MM shinies happened in under 100 eggs. I've been quite lucky in that regard. I also ended up with quite a few unintentional shinies while breeding for IVs, egg moves, and my living dex.

Phillies

Congratulations to everyone with new shinies.

I have caught the following shinies since the last time I posted: 4 Nosepass, Ninetales, Gabite, Shuckle, Sneasel, Panpour, Pansage, Unown R & Unown J.

Good luck to everyone on their current and future hunts.

TheMaster327

Well, my current MM is going slow. 1,500 Hawlucha hatched now and still nothing. This is getting close to the longest MM I've had on Omega Ruby, which was Ralts after 1,838 eggs. Hopefully it doesn't take that much longer...

Congrats on recent sparkles and good luck on all ongoing hunts :)

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Just as a reminder, I'll post this again xD

----------------

Okay, we now have three ideas for December CH, so let's vote :D

As usual, PM me your vote.

welp,how about fire type shinies? especially ones with a flame.

the reason being, alot of holidays this time of year, and since kwanza, chanuka, and christmas all involve candles (stretching it a bit for christmas) candles =fire, ch = fire types/ SPECIFICALLY pokes with a flame?

chimchar line
cyndaquill line
emboar-line
charmander line
LITWICK LINE OF COURSE
delphox line
ponyta line
magmar line
moltres
torchic line
Pyroar line
reshiram

any ones im missing too.

its more exciting/inclusive than just red/green shinies, but less diverse.

How about we encounter a shiny in a icy/snow area!

Kanto: Seafoam Islands, Mt. Silver (Peak).
Johto: Ice Path.
Hoenn: ...? Shoal Cave I guess lol?
Sinnoh: Route 216, Route 217, Acuity Lakefront, Mt. Coronet (Peak).
Unova: Cold Storage, Giant Chasm, Route 6, 7, 8, 20, Virbank Complex, Floccery Ranch and Dragonspiral Tower (Winter).
Kalos: Frost Cavern, Route 17.

Let me know if I missed anything or something you think shouldn't be there.

Hey, how about for December we hunt for a shiny that is not water or ice, but can learn ice move?
(not including hidden power, of course, otherwise we'll be hunting for everything)

So the focus of the hunt is on things like Gastly line (Icy Wind), or any non-Water / non-Ice that can learn Ice Punch/Ice Fang/Ice Beam.

Chloe Cassandra

Long time no see.
On my 35th egg, I hatched a shiny HA 4IV Cranidos! This was a huge surprise for me because it took longer to hatch a regular female one with its HA!

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Two weeks ago, while searching for Axews with Focus Energy and Iron Tail in Granite Cave, i stumbled across a level 11 shiny Zubat. The next day, the very next day, ANOTHER shiny Zubat! One is Jolly, the other is Serious. The Zubats were random encounters while the 500+ Axews I searched for were with the DexNav in ΩR.

Just strange how things work out sometimes...

Last edited:

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Gratz on the recent shinies everyone, especially Crimson Penguin on Lugia, Cyberra on Unown and Keane on Elekid!

It seems my luck is just bad, no matter what gen I hunt in lol. I'm at nearly 6k shaking spots, which is 2x over the shiny charm odds in BW2 and Turtwig is still being stubborn at day 23. Cmon RNG gods, give me a break! lol

Also, happy people are liking my idea for the CH <3 I have a target in mind but I need to finish this shaking spot hunt first >.< Really hoping this hunt doesn't cut too much into December.

Good luck everyone!