• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
I just want this starter to shine; i've mainly been focused on mudkip because i prefer him so i'm sorta dropping treeko. I've done about 2k SRs and im doing more while i do homework (at a slower pace). Wish me luck.. i just want to get this game started- i'd rather have my later hunts take forever than my first one so i can at least play the game while i hunt.

It's really been a dog's age since I posted here, hasn't it? Either way- because I haven't really been updated, I'll be giving everyone blanket congratulations for now. So congrats on the shinies, everyone, and good luck on all future hunts!

So, as the Sapphire BQ I attempted one time never came to fruition in the slightest, I decided to try another in Platinum for the fun of it. I opted to not SR for Chimchar, as I didn't think I could deal with Rowan's blathering for so long- so I decided to skip past Chimchar and instead hunt in Route 207 for a shiny that would not be Bidoof. And after an estimated 990 encounters... I actually had something shine!

IMG_0213.jpg

(I also have a picture of my encounter with her, but I couldn't upload that for some reason. Maybe next post. Sorry for the horrible quality, by the way.)

This is Tenza (technically Tensa, but I like the sound of Tenza more, and I'll be changing her nickname in Eterna), my first BQ success! She has a Relaxed nature, with Guts for her ability, and is 'Very finicky'. I'm pleased that she was my find- Machoke is one of my most nostalgic Pokemon.

EDIT: Seeing as the day hasn't passed yet, I'll update here. Tenza's level 17 now, and at the moment, I'm at the Valley Windworks and hunting for my next shiny. I'm at roughly 720 encounters right now. I'm personally hoping for Buizel, but anything that isn't Pachirisu would be good for me.

v: Thanks, Cpchris, for your congratulations, and good luck on your starter hunt! And Free, congrats on the Floatzel!

Last edited:

free7694

Hi guys, after chaining with the PokeRadar in Pearl (and mostly being miserable at it) for a while, I finally got my first shiny! After a chain of just 6 on Route 222, I found a shiny Floatzel, Adamant nature with Swift Swim. I'm so excited!

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to wobbanut on Fletchling, SnazzySwampert on Sandile, Claus351 on both Sableye, Cyberra on Unown, serpent222 on Charmander, SheroGH on Mewtwo, stardog-champ on Purugly, tonyg44x on Nidoran and Farfetch’d, Keane on Elekid, ChiefLucarioOfficer on Cranidos, Victreebong on both Zubat, Earth Wolf-Howl on Machop, and everyone else on your shinies!

I appreciate the luck, Keane :)

-----------

Well, November ended with me finding just 1 shiny this month. At least it was a good one :x I checked what I was at at the end of October, and it looks like across my 3 games, I did about 29.3k REs this month. And in addition to that, 1,900 SRs for Johto starters and 400 SRs for Chimchar. Reeeeeaaally bad luck. I’d hoped this month would break that bad luck, and for one hunt it did, but not without the creation of yet another unlucky hunt, and perhaps if this HG goes over odds soon, a third. Maybe better luck in December x.X

Speaking of my starter hunts, I might get two days to hunt it this week. Since last week I had to take off my two day shifts for jury duty (which, despite my low jury number, I luckily didn’t have to go thanks to the week getting cut short by 2 days with Thanksgiving), my fears of doing that were realized when I lost a shift to the manager’s son returning (the one that can’t hold a job for more than a week, not the one who’s had a parole officer to report to since age 14…And isn’t even 18 yet. Yup, real gems, these two!). So uh. Yay.

Good luck, everyone (especially Razorbadger, Keane, CrimsonPenguin, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, ChaoticInverse, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

umbreonfan3636

Congrats everyone on their recent shinies, especially Crimson Penguin on Lugia, Cyberra on Unown and Keane on Elekid! (love the full odds ones)

I got in ~1k REs for Aron this week. Looking forward for something to shine at this point. As of now the only Pokemon in the cave that I don't want is a repeat Abra. Debating what to hunt in my Platinum game. I need a water type for my team, any suggestions for good water types to hunt? (need Surf)

Good luck everyone!

Claus351

Congrats everyone on their recent shinies, especially Crimson Penguin on Lugia, Cyberra on Unown and Keane on Elekid! (love the full odds ones)

I got in ~1k REs for Aron this week. Looking forward for something to shine at this point. As of now the only Pokemon in the cave that I don't want is a repeat Abra. Debating what to hunt in my Platinum game. I need a water type for my team, any suggestions for good water types to hunt? (need Surf)

Good luck everyone!
are you playing OR or just plain Ruby? just curious, since i remember a while back you were SRing for treeko and in your sig it says you did Mudkip so xP as for Platinum a water type i would recommenced would be vaporeon (cos i love her) or perhaps a gastradon?

Anyways, good luck on all your hunts and blanket congrats to all!

I'm approaching 4k - as in, almost over odds- for mudkip which is rather upsetting.I have zero luck when it comes to SRing starters, because i did something like 30k for the johto starters back then with no success.. now im going over odds on a sixth gen hunt :( I feel really disheartened. Every time i pick mudkip i feel like i know im already going to soft reset again, and again, and again... and it's never going to be pink. I actually cannot imagine it. I used to when i started but.. now I already am finding myself pressing the buttons just barely after i see the plain old blue mudkip pop out of the ball. please send all the luck you can. I have my mum's, my girl's, my cat's, and one of my college friend's so far but apparently that's not enough!

Anyways no news on the CH for December yet apparently, but i'm hoping it's the snow area. In which case i'll start horde hunting on Y and hope something pops up. Haven't seen a wild sparkle since last Wednesday! oh how sixth gen has spoiled me.

once (if ever) i get this BQ going i plan on SRing for tons of legendaries once i'm finished and grabbed the shiny charm- mainly Lugia, the rock trio, the lake trio, and maybe virizion (only shiny of those three i like). Oh and i want to do some Run Aways from Latios! i wish i'd thought of it when i was playing OR since i like shiny latias more (and im not willing to go SRing through a four minute cutscene for the story one), but im 200 hours into that and dont want to restart and try to get the eon ticket again. :/

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to no one. I’m the first person to report finding a shiny since my last post!

-----------

So yeah. Shiny. Which shiny, you ask? Which shiny on my Black 2 in Clay Tunnel after 36,071 REs of Repel Tricking (6,986 Max Repels bought and used) and Magnet Pulling for Lairon? Not Lairon! Shiny Nosepass!

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/6J55KeM.jpg[/IMG200]

Yup. That ugly thing that evolves into an even uglier thing. Why are these pokemon again? Anyways, Lairon was the only Steel type available since I was repel tricking out Durant, which means I had a 50% chance to find it factoring that in alone. Then its normal (but magnet-pull-reduced) rate brings it to about 57.5%. Then repel tricking out other pokemon (roughly 30-40% of pokemon repelled) brings it to…Idk, somewhere around 75%? More?

After telling myself that by doing all these REs, I’d at least only need one more Lairon by the end of it and now, 36k REs later…I still need 2 damn more. I’m not sure what to do now. Part of me wants to just keep going after these two Lairon, but part of me is scared I’ll be doing another 30k REs. If I only had one more Lairon left, I’d probably just want to get that last one to complete the line, but since I’m not any further towards that goal, I feel like I may as well take a break from it and hunt elsewhere.

As far as the Nosepass goes…Male, Brave nature, Magnet Pull ability. I’ll find out the IVs later when I upload the save file to my comp. I’m still glad I got something, and glad it’s a new shiny, but with how likely Lairon was and how many REs I did…It’s just a let down -_-

Like I said, not sure what I’ll hunt next. Could be Lairon, could be Vulpix, could be Absol/Altaria, could be Eevee, could be Venipede, and a few other things I have in mind. I suppose I’ll get my groceries, dog walking, and exercise out of the way now and hopefully have a decision by the time I resume hunting.

--------------------

I suppose I'll just edit since only 2 posts have been made, and I don't wanna post a 3rd so close together >.< So sorry for the long post :x

Ok, well December is certainly starting out strong for me! After 7,077 REs, my HeartGold brings me a shiny Raticate!

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/0JVDWh4.jpg[/IMG200]

I saw it appearing but thought I might just be a little crazy seeing as it would be my second shiny today. This actually was something I wanted to get at some point, and it now completes the Rattata line for me. Female, Bold nature, Run Away ability, and has the following IVs: 27 – 12 – 12 – 26 – 24 – 26. I trained my Rattata to Lv. 100, but I might just leave this one as it is…It’ll be a little difficult to get to Lv. 100 with its moves (plus a low attack IV and –Atk. nature), but maybe I’ll change my mind. Its characteristic is Often scatters things, which is the same as Nosepass’, coincidentally. This is also the first 2-in-1-day I’ve gotten that didn’t occur on the same game. Also the first time I’ve found any shinies on the first of a month.

I think I’ll repel trick at night now, since that’ll take out the 25% Raticate (and the 5% Electabuzz) leaving me with just Quagsire and Voltorb. During the day I’ll just encounter normally and hope I don’t get a 20% Raticate (or Fearow…Or Electabuzz).

Funny though…30 days of November and I get 1 shiny. 1 day into December and I get 2. Keep it up, games >_>

Good luck, everyone (especially Razorbadger, Keane, CrimsonPenguin, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, ChaoticInverse, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
That was a bit of a marathon...

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/685_zpsiwudfasf.jpg[/img139]

Shiny beautifly after 3,879 REs. Her name is German again (I like the sound of German, even if I can't pronounce it worth a damn) and means "soul" or "psyche". I picked that name because butterflies have been seen as personifications or representations of the soul. She's adamant and somewhat vain, with Swarm.

Will be moving to a psychic safari next and hunting xatu.

Unown-D hunt is at 1,600 REs. Torchic is at 800 eggs.

Ambri

~Draco Rex~
Congrats to:
Cyberra, darkpaladin2015, Paraqua, TheMaster327, stardog-champ, taufik386, Marsalevsky, SkyMew, camhines4, Azulart, Keovix, communist, Smobble, wobbanut, Psychic, Laurelai, Aesnath, ebevan91, kirkeastment, Supremacy (Gratz on completing your OR BQ!), Jack5326, Super Saiyan 3 Goku, Phillies, RoarOfTime91, TheShinyLunatone, Vale_Star, Crimson Penguin, Archsage, the ash man83, Citizen Insane, Cpchris, SEdive07, PrismaticPrincessAnna, HM02gon, SheroGH, Birds of Paradise, Regi_Rocks, SheroGH, Iwanuq, Dangertrout, Claus351, i2i, oarfish, camhines4, Blastonite, Anti Spiral, SnazzySwampert, serpent222, tonyg44x, ChiefLucarioOfficer, Victreebong, Earth Wolf-Howl, free7694 and anyone I might've missed on all shinies since my last post!

Thanks for the congrats darkpaladin2015, Keane, Paraqua and Crimson Penguin ^_^.

@Cyberra: Ever since I took German at school, I've loved the language XD. Pronunciation and getting the right word tense is the part I have trouble with! I like to name some of my Pokemon and Dragcave dragons after certain words from it (And being a robot and mecha fan, I love how a lot of them use German names and have picked lots up from there).

I ended November with one new shiny:

BQ Target 4: Aron Round 2 XD (MM)

I pretty much expected this MM hunt to be a fairly long one, seeing as most of mine in the past have hit at least 1000. So it was nice that after 734 eggs, Aron decided to hatch! :D

[IMG300]http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/AmbriKyu/Shinies%202015/ASTONISHING11%20SHINY%20KOKODORA%20AT%20LAST.jpg[/IMG300] [IMG300]http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/AmbriKyu/Shinies%202015/Titanis%20stats.jpg[/IMG300] [IMG300]http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/AmbriKyu/Shinies%202015/Ready%20to%20rumble.jpg[/IMG300] [IMG300]http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/AmbriKyu/Shinies%202015/Titanis%20Amie.jpg[/IMG300] [IMG300]http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/AmbriKyu/Shinies%202015/Go%20Titanis.jpg[/IMG300] [IMG300]http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/AmbriKyu/Shinies%202015/Lemme%20at%20em.jpg[/IMG300]

Those red eyes and dark green body are beaut. Thanks to Everstone I got an Adamant nature, and though Sturdy wasn't the ability I was hoping for I can easily change that with an Ability Capsule later. I'm really glad to get a female, since a majority of the time I get male shinies.

For my next target I'm undecided at the moment, but it will likely be another MM hunt for either Electrike or Numel. Painful as it might be, I will be SRing Latias after as my 6th Pokemon *gulp*. Knowing I'll have to go through battling and dialogue, I really hope that isn't too long of a hunt!

I think it's a great idea to have these types of questions; I'm sure we used to have discussions like that quite often in the older threads~

What was the rarest situation in which you got a shiny?

Hmm, well I don't have any particular shiny which is rare % wise from an area, but in terms of 1/8192 odds and how long the hunt was, that'd be Ho-oh at 9569 SRs.

Which shiny is your favorite?

There's lots of shiny colours I really like, but I'd definitely have to say Ho-oh. The golden yellow and touch of orange, with the silver beak and feathers too, just make a really nice combination <3. Plus it really stands out compared to the original. Some other big favourites of mine are Kyurem, Charizard, Emboar, Umbreon, Zoroark and Darkrai!

Which shiny made you freak out the most?

Definitely Kyurem on White! When it showed up I was really surprised, and I can still easily think how intense it was trying to catch it without using a Master Ball >< (Which I had to in the end). When it's a legendary with a low catch rate, you really want things to go smoothly!

Good luck everyone on your hunts, and don't give up DeSynthed! It will pay off when you get that shiny, trust me :D.

TheMaster327

After a long 1,526 egg hunt, Hawlucha decides to shine!

[img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVOYrVUWEAAdBqD.jpg[/img139]

She's Adamant, with Unburden, egg moves Agility and Baton Pass, and IVs: 31/31/31/31/xx/31, so not bad at all!

Iwanuq

Iwan
Congrats to everyone since my last post, which has been a very long time.

Pokemon X: so I've been chain fishing lately to get those shiny pokes, I ended up getting 2 x Clauncher, Horsea and finally my target I was initially going for Staryu. Once , I got my target I decided to go do horde encounters where I haven't gotten a shiny from, first route I went to get Stunky and luckily I got one on the fifth horde. I moved my hunt to the Frost Cavern and ended up getting Vanillite (note if we're doing the snowy area hunt this guy was caught in November). Then, I noticed it finally stopped raining in the Gligar area so I moved over there and got a shiny Weepinbell.

Pokemon Y: I've been hunting for my fourth badge quest shiny in this area for over a month, I decided to horde hunt in Azure bay, last night I did over 200 horde encounters I hope something shines soon here, I want to move on haha.

Pokemon AS:So this is the first time I can say I hunted with the dex nav, at 42 encounters in mirage mountain I got Stantler, I'm going to continue to hunt in this area for Donphan.

Edit decided to hunt for Shellos in AS, at a DexNav encounter of 234, out popped a shiny, she even got 3 IVs and her HA. I was starting to lose hope and it didn't help my Pokemon were running out of attack moves but I stuck too it! Glad I did :)

Edit 2 Decided to dex nav for Lillipup, I got her after 49 encounters.

Once again congrats to everyone and good luck to all hunting, hopefully you see the shine soon!

Last edited:

tui

moon upon a stick
Congrats to: Phillies on Nosepass x4, Ninetales, Gabite, Shuckle, Sneasel, Panpour, Pansage and Unown R & J, ChiefLucarioOfficer on Cranidos, Victreebong on Zubat x2, Earth Wolf-Howl on Machop, free7694 on Floatzel, CpChris again on Nosepass and Raticate, Cyberra on Beautifly, Ambri on Aron, TheMaster327 on Hawlucha, Iwanuq on Clauncher x2, Horsea, Staryu, Stunky, Vanillite, Weepinbell and Stantler, and to anyone else I missed!

Thank you for the congrats, Supremacy, CpChris (thanks for the luck too c:) and umbreonfan3636!

Good luck everyone!

What about SR'ing for Bebe's Eevee and evolving it to be a Vaporeon? That should be available to get at the point you're currently at, and might break up the RE hunts? If you like pink :p

21,200 at the Windworks, 5,000 for BQ 4/5 in Mt. Coronet (haven't decided whether to count Combee yet or go back and try finding a Cherubi tree) and then I started up a hunt on Route 20 in W2 for which I am at 200REs. I actually planned on going over to route 7 for Cubchoo for the CH, but some of the Zebstrika outspeed my Watchog, and I'm not really in the mood for continuing with the plot, since I'm going to end up bumping into one of the musketeers soon and I'd much rather SR for them when they're lower levelled because I'm lazy and hate levelling up pokemon.

I actually only had one double period today, so I got home just before midday, fooled about on Rt. 7, accidentally had a nap then got up and did a Further Pure 1 practice paper that ended up taking me two hours... and before I knew it, it was the normal time that I got home and I'd hardly hunted a bean.

Good luck everyone, especially Razorbadger and Supremacy!

umbreonfan3636

are you playing OR or just plain Ruby? just curious, since i remember a while back you were SRing for treeko and in your sig it says you did Mudkip so xP as for Platinum a water type i would recommenced would be vaporeon (cos i love her) or perhaps a gastradon?

I'm playing 2003 Ruby right now. You remember correctly though, I SRed for Shiny Treecko in OR last winter and got him sometime in January. Started this BQ in my old school Ruby in June (I think).

What about SR'ing for Bebe's Eevee and evolving it to be a Vaporeon? That should be available to get at the point you're currently at, and might break up the RE hunts? If you like pink :p

I do like Vaporeon's shiny form, and I do eventually want to SR for a shiny Eevee in either HG or Platinum, but I feel like I would be strongly compelled to evolving it into an Umbreon or an Espeon (though Vaporeon is my 3rd favorite of its shiny forms).

So I might do some SRs for Eevee and see what happens. That, or maybe go for Marill/Scyther on that rainy route.

Anyway, no new news here even though I am still trudging along.

Congrats to everyone, and good luck!

EDIT:

Actually, I might abandon this Ruby BQ. I'm ~135 hours into this save file, and I just received my first "this save file was corrupted" message. I was terrified that I had lost my Marshtomp and Kadabra, but it just loaded my previous save. Does anyone have experience with this? Should I be worried/Should I transfer them over to my HG now? I've had this Ruby version since it came out when I was a little kid (Changed the battery earlier this year).

Last edited:

SheroGH

Congratz on all recent shinies!!

So, after I got my Mewtwo, I started to focus more on my HG for a shiny starter (been SR for one since I bought it last year) and on Sunday I did like 400 SRs in the afternoon and 100 SRs later at night. After that, I deleted the save to get a new ID and 70 SRs later, this beauty show up!! :D

[img139]http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr319/sheroo1992/shiny%20chikorita_zpstq2byews.png[/img139]

I was shocked! It took me by surprise! :D I finally was able to move on. But after that, I decided to hunt for a shiny Pidgey on Route 29 XD. I'm at 2870 RE's and I hate that it only appear during the day :(

I hope it shines soon!

Good luck to everyone on their hunts!

Claus351

I really really need someone's help. i'm seriously losing all hope. I'm somewhere around 5k, my girlfriend is telling me to take a break but i just.. i really want this mudkip >_< im not being crazy am i?i just want to start playing my game.. i feel like i can't do anything else until i get it- i haven't been working on school or any other shiny hunts because it just eats all my time. should i give up and just SR for legendaries when i get the shiny charm...?

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
I really really need someone's help. i'm seriously losing all hope. I'm somewhere around 5k, my girlfriend is telling me to take a break but i just.. i really want this mudkip >_< im not being crazy am i?i just want to start playing my game.. i feel like i can't do anything else until i get it- i haven't been working on school or any other shiny hunts because it just eats all my time. should i give up and just SR for legendaries when i get the shiny charm...?

Don't take this the wrong way, but real life should ALWAYS be a priority over shiny hunting. If you have free time, feel free to hunt. If schoolwork needs to be done and your girlfriend wants you to take a break...those are priorities. You WILL get that Mudkip soon. Just don't hurt your own physical or mental health just because of a purple pixelated thing.

Dangertrout

I've been hunting a lot in 6th gen lately and I find it's gotten a little dull. So I picked up my SS BQ again and about an hour later... Shiny Meowth! It's always nice to pick up an old hunt and have it coincidentally yield a shiny quickly despite the 1/8192 odds. Maybe I should pick up my Pearl BQ again too :p

Claus351

I decided to quite. i stopped somewhere close to 6k? i'm not particularly sure, but i'm just going to play the game now. When i'm done and i get my shiny charm i'll SR again and do some RA for Latios. But yeah. Taking a break from shiny hunting for a bit on that note, but not like a month long i just mean for a few days. :) GLHF~!

Edit:
Didn't want to post TOO many times on one page even if they are all separate days. I took a break from my Alpha Sapphire playthrough (just after beating norman) to do some hunting.

Only 96 Dexnav Encounters in I meet this pretty girl. Well, I'd have pictures but i have alpha sapphire in and it was on omega ruby. Just imagine a blue Psyduck! She's quiet i believe which is down speed up special attack so that's alright. I'm not evolving her so she'll be clinging to an everstone until she's level 100. I was going to name her cottonball but it didn't seem fitting, so i went with Private Psy instead. (No need to save her) So that's exciting! Guess i get some form of payoff for the 40+ hours i spent SRing for mudkip. Good luck on all your guys' hunts! See you soon and i hope to hear good news from you all.

Last edited:

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Well, I finally got my AlphaSapphire started. I started SR'ing for shiny mudkip on Thanksgiving night, and got him the next day. :) He's already evolved all the way to swampert, and I've got four badges.

I also got a shiny numel, my fourth, while doing horde spams on the fiery path. I sent him to wonder trade.

serpent222

Congrats on all of the shinies since my last post.

I'm up to 500 eggs with Squirtle, and still no shiny. I did catch a shiny hoothoot in FS while breaking from breeding. Was trying for a pidgey, but I didn't have hoothoot yet, so it was still good.