• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Alatar VGC

House Greyjoy
Hi guys.

I'm back again ^^

I was just breeding on my X for a 5IV Pidgey and this little popped up at 16 eggs :D
I didn't capture the "hatch" screen cos I wasn't sure if it was shiny or not o_O

It's "Modest" with "Outstanding" potential. With Iv's in HP, Defence, Special Attack and Speed. Sweet xD
It's also in a fast ball :D
[img139]http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr207/ckpencarrow92/PIDGEY_zpscqyow1io.jpg[/img139]
Again not perfect, but won't knock it ^^

TheMaster327

Decided I'm gonna do Articuno until 1k, then do a Masuda hunt, then back to Arti for another 1k, then another Masuda and continue with that pattern. At 829 SRs for Arti right now, so I'll put the next MM poll up now so you can vote on it. It will close when I hit 1k.

Congrats on recent shinies and good luck with ongoing hunts :)

Ampharos_Spark

Gen 6 = <3
Congrats on all of the recent shinies since my last post back in October!

So Gastly was my last shiny for Halloween as neither of my last two Halloween targets wanted to shine. So November 1st, I decided to soar over to Trackless Forest to hunt for a shiny Entei.So I started SRing eventually a month passed. Saturday one of my Co-workers lost her cat. He passed away at the vet while she was at work and found out the news on her break. so I had her send me pictures of him, Mumu, so I could draw/paint a portrait of him in Oil Pastel. I had just finished today and started uploading pictures of the piece onto my computer. As soon as I was done with uploading the pictures on to my computer I looked down as another battle started in my Omega Ruby to see a darker Entei fall from the sky... sparkles! After 6579 SRs shiny Entei had appeared!
[IMG139]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/DarkSuicune/20151209_145825_zpszhjufkvp.jpg[/IMG139]
I gasped in amazement since this has been the longest SR hunt so far in the 6th gen for me. As crazy as it sounds.... I was kind of hoping this hunt would go over 8192 SRs just to go over original odds. Anyway, The battle didn't take too long and Entei was soon captured in a Repeat Ball. Turns out my Synchronizer succeeded in it's mission, Entei was Adamant! It's IVs are 4/31/31/31/7/9 and here are more pictures and the video: OT/ID, Summary, Pokemon-Amie, Sparkles 1, Sparkles 2 and Video. Now I'm off to hunt Raikou next and that will complete my Legendary Beast Trio (already have Suicune from my HG from back in 2010)! Good luck to everyone especially those with stubborn targets!

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
finished 1k RA for latios (finals week) so im moving to another hunt. First, a dexnav to make sure that things can actually SHINE on this AS card >_> then probably do 1k SRs for lugia before going back to latios :)

edit: good news, my Alpha Sapphire card isn't some hoax that can't have shinies! I got a shiny corphish after 21 chain fish encounters. Now i'm going to go hunt Lugia for 1k like i said :D nicknamed her bubbles, she's hasty. :)

Edit II:
COMMUNITY HUNT COMPLETE!!!!

started duel hunting while taking a break from studying for my art history final and barely somewhere around 20 horde encounters in on my Y ( i hadn't even counted) I encountered this!
151210_0003.jpg
Named her Pinky Boo! Gonna move my horde hunt to somewhere else in Y now and hope for better luck! Also SRing for lugia at the same time so wish me luck :) Congrats all and good luck to everyone else!

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
And another hunt reaches its end.

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/697_zpsmeovox8c.jpg[/img139]

After 2,852 REs, xatu shines. He's sassy and likes to thrash about, and it's a good thing I decided to bring my ampharos because xatu does indeed have his HA, Magic Bounce. I named him after the African god of wisdom, divination, destiny, and foresight. Xatu is said to be able to see the future so I thought it was appropriate.

My next safari hunt will be ice, after delibird. My current MM breed is the rarely-hunted cryogonal.

Unown-D is at 5,000 REs. Cryogonal is at 80 snowflakes hatched.

Edit: And after only 234 eggs...

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/700_zpsrg5ddudz.jpg[/img139]

Cryogonal is timid and likes to thrash about, with Levitate. Gonna train him, then go grab a HA woobat from the friend safari and begin breeding.

Last edited:

camhines4

Would it be appropriate for me to post my guide to catching shinies with the Pokeradar in Gen 4 here? I know that a lot already exist, but I feel like none of them cover all of the methods that I use. Would anyone find this useful?

Vale_Star

Shiny Huntress
Well at 3:15 AM last night I completed the National Dex in Pokemon X, got the Shiny Charm for the first time EVER. Then seven minutes later I resumed my CH hunt in Frost Cavern and lo and behold:

2f60334a-5c55-44b7-989d-9ecfffded519_zpsk37jeutp.jpg

c9aeccdf-92b7-4a86-8605-c30229cda83a_zpscslynqzf.jpg

This is one Shiny I actually wanted. His name is Polar and currently holds my Everstone. I want to savour my first Shiny Charm capture a little longer. My first CH and it's a success!

Last edited:

keira

lurker
I've been lurking this thread for 4 (??) months now and finally decided to be a big girl and make an account for this thread in particular. I've only been hunting since XY came out, but recently decided 1/4096 odds were a little too easy for me personally, esp. with the shiny charm, and decided to move to Gen IV since it's my favorite gen and also the walksprites in HGSS are really cute. I only just started my SR hunt for a Johto starter today, and am at about 155 SRs give or take a few. So basically, I've got a looong road ahead of me! I'm really hoping for Totodile, since it's the one I played with on my first playthrough!

Best of luck to everyone on their current and future hunts!

tui

moon upon a stick
Ugh, I'm irked, I typed out an entire list of congrats and wrote out half this post before I accidentally X'ed out the tab, so this might be a bit brief but I don't want to not do it, so congrats to:
SheroGH
Dangertrout
Claus351
wobbanut
serpent222
camhines4
PPA
taufik386
Razorbadger
Pokepro1992 (it's awesome how you hunted for Zapdos too)
TheShinyLunatone
Cyberra
Phillies
nickM
Tsukuyomi56
SkyMew
Pink Lapras
Paraqua
Regi_Rocks
Ampharos_Spark
Vale_Star
Thank you CpChris for the luck and Razorbadger for the congrats as well!

I'm back again, how is everyone? I began hunting Ho-Oh last night and the hunt is progressing just fine. I have some paper handy in case Ho-Oh, when found, gets close to struggling. I don't know how much time I'll put into any further hunts, but for now I'm doing good.
Welcome back!

I've been lurking this thread for 4 (??) months now and finally decided to be a big girl and make an account for this thread in particular. I've only been hunting since XY came out, but recently decided 1/4096 odds were a little too easy for me personally, esp. with the shiny charm, and decided to move to Gen IV since it's my favorite gen and also the walksprites in HGSS are really cute. I only just started my SR hunt for a Johto starter today, and am at about 155 SRs give or take a few. So basically, I've got a looong road ahead of me! I'm really hoping for Totodile, since it's the one I played with on my first playthrough!

Best of luck to everyone on their current and future hunts!
Welcome! Nice to see another person who still hunts in gen 4, good luck with that starter!

Anyway, I came home early today ill, I've been struggling the last two weeks with my eyesight and general feeling ill and tired and it got to lunchtime and I just needed to go home. I relaxed for a bit then decided to pick up Valley Windworks for a bit, and after not too long that session, and after 24,276 REs total, becoming my 2nd longest hunt, a cute shiny pink rodent appeared!
[img139]http://i.imgur.com/BCIqKkh.png[/img139]
My reaction, thanks to feeling terrible, was terrible itself but I'm still over the moon to get this shiny, since although it was a target, I wasn't hopeful about getting it since with the Electrike swarm, it's encounter rate is tiny. But!
[img139]http://i.imgur.com/Kp9UNZ1.png[/img139]
I think my Smeargle which I brought out to weaken her infected her with Pokerus, the bazillionth time I've received it on this game. Naughty natured, which sucks, but her IVs?
Pachirisu - #417 (Naughty)
Female (♀)
HP: 8 - 16
Att: 20 - 28
Def: 15 - 23
SpA: 10 - 19
SpD: 20 - 29
Speed: 29 - 31
Are really surprisingly nice all round, and with the +ATTK nature I'll probably end up EV'ing her in that and Speed. I've probably also transfer her up to W2 because I prefer the sprite in that game, although I plan on cloning all my shinies and transferring them up so I have the majority of them in more than one place (I don't trust my Sinnoh cartridges, they've all thrown error messages at me before, and my Diamond has deleted itself a couple times.
[img139]http://i.imgur.com/afqiJiB.png[/img139]
Named Bloom, after one of my all time favourite songs, plus I love the sound of the word itself.

I've now moved over to Shaymin in Platinum, picked up from '12, where I left it at 962 RAs according to a notebook. That sits at 1,012 RAs now, Mt Coronet is stagnant at 5000REs, and Route 20 is at 2500REs, however I'm off to put Bloom in my shinycard now.

Good luck everybody!

Paraqua

Beginning Trainer
Congrats to all recent shinies.

After quite a short Masuda method hunt (Just 191 eggs) I hatched shiny female Psyduck which I named Agent P (As a reference to the Secret Agent name of Perry the Platypus from Phineas and Ferb). Timid nature through Everstone and Outstanding potential with 5 perfect IV's (31/31/31/X/31/31). Even though her father has the hidden ability for the Psyduck line (Swift Swim), Agent P was born with the ability Damp, but I quickly picked up an Ability Capsule to change it to Cloud Nine.

Before doing the Masuda Method hunt for Psyduck, I managed to chainfish for a shiny Corphish in Petalburg City. A female named Leela and she has Brave Nature and the abillity Hyper Cutter.

Good luck to your future shinies =D

LilyValley

Useless Sceptile
Day 5 and I have results! Shiny Ho-Oh appeared just now and I managed to catch it quickly, synchronize for Adamant failed, however it is Jolly! I calculated the IVs and they are great, they happen to be 31/31/31/28-29/22-23/20-21. Now, I've done test runs on catching Entei and all seems good, and that means it's time to start resetting again.

Last edited:

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Would it be appropriate for me to post my guide to catching shinies with the Pokeradar in Gen 4 here? I know that a lot already exist, but I feel like none of them cover all of the methods that I use. Would anyone find this useful?

Go ahead :)

Edit II:
COMMUNITY HUNT COMPLETE!!!!

started duel hunting while taking a break from studying for my art history final and barely somewhere around 20 horde encounters in on my Y ( i hadn't even counted) I encountered this!
View attachment 15090
Named her Pinky Boo! Gonna move my horde hunt to somewhere else in Y now and hope for better luck! Also SRing for lugia at the same time so wish me luck :) Congrats all and good luck to everyone else!

Post the summary pic as well :p Even though I know there's only 1 place in X/Y where you can catch a Cubchoo.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to taufik386 on Archen and Mudkip, Razorbadger on Trapnich, Pokepro1992 on Zapdos, Cyberra on Torchic, Pink Lapras on Abra and Dialga, Paraqua on Froakie, taufik386 on Altaria, Regi_Rocks on Chikorita, taufik386 on Ditto and Vanillish, Cyberra on Clauncher, Regi_Rocks on Pidgey, Ampharos_Spark on Entei, Keane on Pachirisu, Paraqua on Psyduck, LilyValley on Ho-Oh, Bunnelby01 on Chikorita, Blastonite on Regice, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thank you for the congrats, Razorbadger :)

-----------

Just a quick question for those who are keeping track, how exactly are you guys getting numbers for # of eggs hatched, or # of SRs? Is there some stat page in XY or ORAS that I'm not aware of, or are you guys just counting?

I count with calculators and then write down on paper every 100 REs/SRs (I check my Trainer Card on Black 2 to double check that I actually did 100) and make not of it per day (so on any given day, I can see how many I did). I could never bring myself not to count, and have never been a fan of estimating. In fact, I saw a video the other day where, before checking their Trainer Card, they said they found their shiny in “probably under 1k encounters” and it turned out to be barely over 400. When people are so far off without even hitting 500, I’m not sure how people find any relevancy in ‘estimated’ hunts over 10k. I mean, 400 REs compared to 1k REs? That’s the same as someone’s ‘estimated’ 25k hunt actually only being 10k. Why even bother estimating if it’s nowhere even close to being close to being close to being accurate?

-----------

Yes, a quick hunt :D After just 2,727 REs and on my 27th RE of the day, a Shiny Spearow appeared on my HeartGold!

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/ufAzuZK.jpg[/IMG200]

I know, not the most exciting of shinies, but now that I have the evolution line completed (along with Raticate), it means I can focus on more exciting shinies like Voltorb! This was such a bizarre find though…First, for some reason, I was getting some slight shinos when I started hunting today, like with Fearow and Buneary. They weren’t full on “is that shiny?” though, so it was sort of weird how my mind kept thinking I was seeing shinies even though I knew better. Then, as you’ll be able to see in the video, right before my shiny Spearow encounter, I’d accidentally used the radio (I use the radio on Wednesdays for Linoone/Whismur, though I’d only done 100 REs yesterday so I don’t know how I fell into the habit by this morning) and was quite shocked to see a Bidoof on my screen: “Did I use the radio?!” Then thought about how unfortunate it would have been if, after accidentally using the radio, it turned out to be shiny…Then next encounter, a shiny :p

Speaking of the video, here it is! This one is female, Quirky, Keen Eye ability, and has the IVs: 6 – 30 – 30 – 20 – 8 - 21. Since I have Fearow, this was destined to stay a Spearow no matter how good it was. But geez, I get some good Spearow o_O My first one had 21 IVs in speed as well and had 31 IVs in atk. It had an IV total of 119, whereas this one is 115. Both are Quirky, too.

As I said, glad to have this less-than-thrilling shiny out of the way, and I’ll now start repel-tricking (and Staticing) for Voltorb. I may just static during the day to leave the possibility of Quagsire open at night…Or I could just hunt two Wooper later on, which gives me a chance to at least pick which one is better to have as Quagsire (so many hunts I want to do >.<). However, I also decided something else…

I’ve been telling myself for a loooong time that I should get around to hunting Lapras. 3 years of hunting, and I have yet to get an Ice type shiny (the only type I haven’t gotten), and by SRing, I’m guaranteed to get only Lapras (and it’s a GREAT shiny!). It’s December, which is as good a time as any to find my first Ice type. And I’ve told myself that whenever I find a HeartGold shiny on a Friday (the day Lapras appears, and I’m not one to change the date/time on my DS for things like that) I should go hunt Lapras.

Well, it’s Thursday (er, Friday by the time I’m posting this), so I won’t be very far into my Voltorb hunt by tomorrow, so I won’t be bothered about being in the middle of another hunt (also why I planned on waiting until I found a shiny on a Friday). I also haven’t found a Voltorb yet, so I won’t feel like I’m in a rush to finish the evolution line (such as if I had just 1 more Horsea to finish the line). And being a single evo, I’ll be able to get just this one Lapras and be able to go right back to Voltorb. It’s also been almost exactly half a year since my last main-SR hunt, so I feel like I’ve had a long enough break from SR hunts.

So I’ll continue doing Voltorb for today, but tomorrow I think I’ll start SRing for Lapras!

Good luck, everyone (especially CrimsonPenguin, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, ChaoticInverse, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

NitroLightningFlash

Congrats on all shinies everyone! ^^

Haven't really been hunting much, but i decided not to hatch a shiny Buneary in the end (started trying to get one for my friend for his birthday but unfortunately he already got one before i could hatch it, so was up in the air whether to just try for one of my own or not) since i'm fine with my normal mega Lopunny.

I think i'm going to head back up to Mt. Pyre and try and DexNav another shiny Vulpix since the one i got in September was a bad nature. (I didn't take a Sychronizer as i didn't expect to really get one xD), i'll take the Timid Synchronizer this time, but i bet now i do this, i either won't get one or it won't have Drought, ah well we will see i guess x3

Good luck on all hunts! :3

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Miscounted a bit on my Pokémon Y MM hunt (accidently included my shiny box in my calculation though I do not have 30 shinies in Pokémon Y) and the number eggs is actually closing in on 240 eggs, not sure on what to hunt next once I get my shiny Roselia however.

Congrats to anyone who has caught a shiny and good luck to those still hunting!

Mykle

Mykle
Congratulations on all of the successful shinies.

I took a break on trying to get my shiny protean froakie. I just can't find anyone from a different region to trade with (I'm pretty sure UK doesn't count).
I took a day to create 100 eggs and another two days to hatch some Honedge eggs. I received a nice surprise 85 eggs in and now have a shiny Honedge named Zangetsu.

camhines4

Alright, here is my personal guide to chaining for Shiny Pokémon in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum.

I know this may seem outdated, being Generation IV, and I also know that many people already know how to chain successfully. However, for anyone new to this, hopefully this will help.
First, I want to briefly mention some basics of chaining that aren't unique to my method.
- Register the PokeRadar
- Stock up on Max Repels (I prefer these to Super Repels; even though you get more for your money with Super Repels, I like the added length of a Max Repel when I am chaining); I have been in chains where it takes 100 to get to 40 and another 100 to find a shiny. While you shouldn't expect this many Repels to be needed, it can happen, so it's better to be safe than sorry. I have over 500 at all times, just so I don't have to keep buying them.
- Don't continue chaining when you get to 40. Once you are at 40, your chances have maximized (at 1 in 200), so start resetting for that shiny patch.
- Know the Pokémon you are chaining. You don't want to find the shiny only to have it Teleport, Roar, etc.
- Be familiar with the grid. Each time you reset the PokeRadar, a 1-away, 2-away, 3-away, and 4-away will appear.
- Only enter a patch of grass when you know where all four patches were.
-Don't get on your bike, and don't walk out of sight of the shaking patch. If you do, the chain will break.
- You can get multiple shinies from a chain; once you get to 40, keep resetting and get how many ever you want.

The two main tenets of my method are:
- Only ever go into the 4-away, and only go into the 4-away if it is the farthest patch away from you, steps-wise. I cannot stress this enough. This means that if the 4-away is five steps away (four steps in one direction, one step in another) and the 3-away is 6 steps away (three steps in one direction, three steps in another), avoid it. Also, avoid if both the 3-away and the 4-away are the same number of steps away- the 4-away needs to clearly be farther.
Some things to think about here: Only the 3-away patch can ever be farther away than the 4-away, so make it a priority to watch these two patches most closely. Also, if a patch is seven steps away, it is automatically the farthest patch available, since a 3-away can at most be six steps away. However, this doesn't automatically make it a safe patch, which I am about to get to.

- Watch the quadrants carefully. If there are ever three shaking patches in the same quadrant, avoid, even if everything else seems alright. For example, if the 1-away, 2-away, and 3-away are in the same quadrant and the 4-away is in another, avoid stepping into the 4-away and reset, even if the 4-away is the farthest patch. The same goes for if any other patch is the isolated one.
Some things to think about here: It is unclear which quadrant patches are in when they are directly up, down, left, or right from you. I take the conservative route and assume they are part of both. So if a quadrant has two patches clearly in and one on the border, avoid it as well, to be safe.

Sticking to these two main ideas is the focal point of my method. However, even when a patch meets both criteria, there may be an exception where you need to avoid the patch.
- If it is not surrounded by grass completely on all sides, avoid. Since there is a chance that the 1-away would have been in the spot that is not covered by grass, there is a chance that the chain will break, even if it is the Pokémon you are chaining. So avoid all edge patches or patches next to other obstructions.
- Avoid patches that are touching other patches. If a 4-away is next to, above, or diagonal to another patch, just reset.
- Avoid patches that are four steps away. While there is a chance that it is the farthest (if the 3-away is three steps away), it is best to avoid the 4-aways that are in the same row or column as you.
- Avoid patches that are eight steps away. While it seems to be a slam-dunk, as it is definitely the farthest away, avoid the patches that are eight steps away as well. This means only ever go into patches that are 5-7 steps away.

Don't be afraid to reset the PokeRadar. You will find far more bad patterns than good ones when chaining. Also, you don't have to play it completely safe for the entirety of the chain. Usually, I will enter just about any 4-away I see until I get the chain up to 15 or so, just to speed things up. My thinking? There's a decent chance that you can get it to 15 without really trying and if the chain does break, it didn't take that long to do anyway.

If you are chaining in a smaller area of grass, things can be slightly more difficult. Instead of resetting in the middle of the grass, move one step in another direction, maximizing the amount of 4-aways you will see that aren't on an edge.

These steps will help you get chains to 40 with more ease; however, sometimes you can enter a seemingly good patch and the chain will break. "Safe" patches are not 100 percent safe. That's just the nature of it. So while I can't guarantee you will get a chain to 40 every time you try, you will notice that they start coming with more frequency.

Hope this helps anyone that may need it!

TheMaster327

Just got a shiny female Azurill on my X on a 0 CHAIN! Went to Route 22 to chain and bam! Non-shiny patch, full odds!

[img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CV96pyWWEAATZtP.jpg[/img139]

Azurill is a Careful nature, with IVs 0/31/xx/31/xx/31! But then again, as it's a baby Pokémon, 3 IVs were a given :)

Bananarama

The light is coming
Congratulations to everyone on their recent shinies!

I'm currently trying to complete my CH right now in Y. I'm looking for a shiny Cubchoo in Frost Cavern. Afterwards, I'll try MMing for the first time for a Phione.

Edit:

CAM00015.jpg

After 189 hordes, he finally shined :D

Community Hunt Complete!

Next up, Phione!

Last edited: