• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Found a shiny gloom through a random encounter :) Now it's vileplume which is one of my favorite all time Pokemon so I'm excited.

Cyclone

^ where it all began
Has anyone successfully DexNaved for a shiny Pokémon BEFORE defeating the E4? I have been trying for a shiny Trapinch and I'm in the 800 encounter rate, and want to make sure I am not wasting my time. I highly doubt the E4 affects the Dexnav, but you know how heady it gets when you're shiny hunting.... Has anyone done it???

LucarioMan101

HGSS ftw!!!!!!
Has anyone successfully DexNaved for a shiny Pokémon BEFORE defeating the E4? I have been trying for a shiny Trapinch and I'm in the 800 encounter rate, and want to make sure I am not wasting my time. I highly doubt the E4 affects the Dexnav, but you know how heady it gets when you're shiny hunting.... Has anyone done it???

Yeah I did a AS badge quest, and a lot of my shinies were dexnav. Don't worry, it works :)

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I didn't do too much shiny hunting this past week, but I did two Bug Catching contests. I'm eventually trading them over to have something to trade on WT Tuesdays besides fossils.

Both of my shinies this week came from horde spams. First, I went to the icy cave on Y to see what pokemon where there, and only realized after a while that I was in the wrong place for delibird (for my shiny Rocketdex, yes I'm including him). After a lot of frustration at trying to hunt in a cave without using a bike, I decided to wrap it up with horde encounters, and got a purple teddy. :D At least now I have both a shiny beartic and a shiny cubchoo. I'll have to go hunt for delibird, but I think it requires riding the mamoswine, which is even less fun than the cave. :p If I get tired of it, I'll try searching for delibird in 4th gen.

As for my X game, I did some RE and a few horde spams on Route 19, then at the end of the night I got my third shiny gligar. :p I was hoping for weepinbell or arbok, but no such luck. On the other hand, at least it's Community Hunt complete!

Now I'm just hoping to get a shiny on my HeartGold game so I can get out of that dang Ilex Forest already.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I did not catch a new shiny just yet, but I did get a shiny Florges from a friend in exchange for a Mew.

So that happened.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
got shiny johto babies

shiny igglybuff after 102 eggs. this one got 6IV
[img139]http://s19.postimg.org/c5smu30eb/Photo_Grid_1456129229508.jpg[/img139]

congrats everyones for your recent shinies and good luck on your current hunting

this taunts me lol congrats on that iggly its 6iv 0_0 I hope to get back to hatching more eggs for my shiny igglybuff soon been playing fates :)

congrats to all shinies that have been obtained I am still at 900 igglybuff eggs which I plan on taking a break from fates soon and start hatching some more eggs then go back to fates again and whoever is still hunting good luck!

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
So because of my most recent shiny (see my last post), I have to ask people this.

Third gen and after, how many shinies have you obtained from trades that do not include trades and transfers to yourself?

I can only think of Crobat and Florges.

Crobat was traded with Clefairy, since the person did not have FR/LG.
Florges was given to me by my friend in exchange for a Mew.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I'll have to go hunt for delibird, but I think it requires riding the mamoswine, which is even less fun than the cave. :p If I get tired of it, I'll try searching for delibird in 4th gen.

You can use Sweet Scent to hunt on the riding routes. There are no hordes so it'll just attract a single pokemon. I've seen it done on youtube, and it's how I caught a regular female hippopotas for my current MM breed.

So because of my most recent shiny (see my last post), I have to ask people this.

Third gen and after, how many shinies have you obtained from trades that do not include trades and transfers to yourself?

I can only think of Crobat and Florges.

Shinies from trades? I have a fair list. Most from friends in exchange for things I'd caught or breejects from my MMs, as well as some I got from wonder trading my HA wynaut breejects a bit ago. Some of the highlights: Larvesta, Eevee, Mudkip, Zorua, Caterpie, Joltik, Umbreon, shiny event Dialga, shiny event Rayquaza, shiny event Jirachi, Heatran (random wonder trade), shiny event Diancie, shiny event xerneas, shiny event yveltal, Aggron, Greninja, Bunnelby.

The last three were obtained from WTing off my wynauts. I also got a shiny palkia and a second shiny yveltal, but both were obvious hacks.

Edit: Today I went into a fire safari and after only 38 REs I find a shiny fletchinder. He's jolly and capable of takings hits, with his HA, Gale Wings. I'm going to keep this one and train him as an offensive talonflame, since according to Smogon that's the best combination of nature and ability.

Last edited:

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member

I found my first shiny using the DexNav while I only had 6 badges. I found a shiny Taillow, and my search rate was at 172. The DexNav is my favorite method to use, and I've found tons of shinies using this method. Right now I'm DexNaving for Marill, and I'm at 630 encounters. This is the longest DexNav hunt I've been on. I don't have a shiny charm either, but I get lucky a lot of times. Just not today, though.....

TheGreaterLucario

First off, I never really tried DexNav-ing too much pre-E4 because I didn't find out about it boosting Shiny chances until after I'd already beaten the E4. As far as Pre-E4 Shinies, I found a Shiny Zigzagoon in a horde on the route to the east of Petalburg (Forget the route number) at the beginning of the game. The Shinies I've managed to get from DexNav, for what it may be worth, are: 2 Shiny Zoruas, 1 (Unintentional) Shiny Clefairy, and 1 Shiny Deino. As far as Trapinch, I feel your pain. I've maxed out the search level for Gible AND Sandile and STILL haven't found a Shiny one yet.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
.......Awwwwww sorry everyone for not showing up earlier. This week is my sister's birthday, so I'm busy due to that.......

Anyway, you all can start PMing me ideas for March CH :)

I'll update the current CH completion tomorrow morning.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Yes!!!! My DexNav search rate was at 655 and shiny Marill appeared! Good luck to everyone on your hunts!

[IMG300]http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/Nintendofan82/Shiny%20Pokemon/IMAG0596_zps5mxmkpk8.jpg[/IMG300]
[IMG300]http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/Nintendofan82/Shiny%20Pokemon/IMAG0600_zpsajfallyy.jpg[/IMG300]
[IMG300]http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/Nintendofan82/Shiny%20Pokemon/IMAG0601_zpsohl8qrhc.jpg[/IMG300]

shiny_hunter5

Eugh! wish I new how lucky i was back in 2010! managed to SR for two Shiny starts on Soul Silver and a shiny dratini in under 800 SR a piece same cannot be said of my current badge quest :( aha just thought i congrats all on your latest shiny pokemon

EDIT
Just found my Platinum game, might join you all on your badge quests although probably won't SR for a starter anyway thought I would check my boxes first and long behold I have
Shiny Beldum
FIVE Shiny Shinx
A shiny Bibarel
A shiny Phanpy
the three event shiny dogs
Who is doing the Platium badge quest?

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
.......Awwwwww sorry everyone for not showing up earlier. This week is my sister's birthday, so I'm busy due to that.......

Anyway, you all can start PMing me ideas for March CH :)

I'll update the current CH completion tomorrow morning.
With these community hunts, I was wondering. What if you incidentally caught the right Pokemon? Do you have to call it? Do you have to have actually hunted it?

umbreonfan3636

Who is doing the Platium badge quest?

I'm still doing mine. Currently I'm looking for a Swinub/Sneasel before facing the 7th gym leader. The problem is, I haven't touched my Platinum game in over two weeks because I've been crazy busy. I've done a bit of hunting on my Ruby and FireRed, but not too much. Hopefully I'll get back at it this weekend.

I also purchased legit copies of Sapphire and Emerald, both of which have non-working batteries so I'll have to replace them. So maybe I'll double hunt for Aron.

Congrats to everyone and good luck!

Last edited:

Hokker

How is everyone keeping track of their encounters? are you guessing or do you do the encounters with a computer hookup? seems tedious to count them all if you have to do tally marks or something. If you are using a computer to do the enounters or breeding would that count as a hack?

shiny_hunter5

How is everyone keeping track of their encounters? are you guessing or do you do the encounters with a computer hookup? seems tedious to count them all if you have to do tally marks or something. If you are using a computer to do the enounters or breeding would that count as a hack?

If I am only doing one SR then tally marks, if I am doing double hunting then I just try keep count myself.

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
Yes!!!! My DexNav search rate was at 655 and shiny Marill appeared! Good luck to everyone on your hunts!

[IMG300]http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/Nintendofan82/Shiny%20Pokemon/IMAG0596_zps5mxmkpk8.jpg[/IMG300]
[IMG300]http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/Nintendofan82/Shiny%20Pokemon/IMAG0600_zpsajfallyy.jpg[/IMG300]
[IMG300]http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/Nintendofan82/Shiny%20Pokemon/IMAG0601_zpsohl8qrhc.jpg[/IMG300]

Speaking of green shinies, I just got a shiny sandshrew from horde hunting on route 111, sucks that the last 2 shinies I got were Gentle when I have an Adamant Mew at the head of my party -_-