• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Y-Pestis on Budew, Laurelai on Terrakion, Demonslayer492 on Kyogre, Cyberra on Wynaut, Echo Nacyl on Totodile, taufik386 on Pichu and Cleffa and Igglybuff, PKMN Trainer Gray on Eevee, DJW94, Tagi on Mudkip, Typhlox on Hoothoot, taufik386 on Glameow and Espurr, the ash man83 on Magikarp, CharlieDoryRose on Cresselia, Italianbaptist on Gloom, shinycharizard06 on Chikorita (welcome back!), shiny_hunter5 on Totodile, LilyValley on Raikou, Cyberra on Hippopotas, FairyWitch on Igglybuff, Mrs. Oreo on Trapinch, Laurelai on Lapras and Sneasel and Dratini, LilyValley on Mawile, PKMN Trainer Gray on all those awesome shinies, Cyclone on Geodude, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks for the congrats, Y-Pestis, Martinzqx, Laurelai, Nintendofan82, Echo Nacyl, G-Money, Ambri, CharlieDoryRose, and Supremacy :)

-----------

How is everyone keeping track of their encounters? are you guessing or do you do the encounters with a computer hookup? seems tedious to count them all if you have to do tally marks or something. If you are using a computer to do the enounters or breeding would that count as a hack?

I use calculators. Plus the trainer card on my Black 2 game. Really not that hard and becomes second nature to the point that I don’t really pay attention that I’m doing it (not sure why this seems like such a difficult and daunting thing for some people).

-----------

When I was last hunting at Route 10, I still needed Raticate and Spearow, so I hadn’t been using Static for Voltorb. Once I got Spearow and could start repel tricking + using static, I’d only hunted at night for a day or two before I was able to start Lapras. Now that I’m back here and hunting during the day…So many Electabuzz D: It’s normally 10%, and that’s for levels 15 and 18. Apparently most of that 10% is for level 18 ones though because I encounter a lot >.< I swear I’m finding more Electabuzz than Voltorb, and Voltorb is 30% for only level 17…

I haven’t posted here in a while, relative to how frequently I normally post :x I spent my freetime the last two days trying to carefully pick out things for my apartment that I should hopefully be getting in July – which means I managed to spend probably around 20 total hours looking just at Dressers (which I decided I ultimately don’t even need), Bookcases (which, again, decided I could combine that space for a TV stand), TV stands, Mattresses (which I’ll have to go out and actually try out…ugh), bed frames, and desk/computer chairs (ie. Shiny Hunting chair ;) ). A lot of time for just a few items, but I wanted to try to get things that doesn’t break the bank too much but also hopefully don’t break themselves. New car, apartment + furnishings…Lots of $$$ getting spent this year x.X

Anyways, I figured the break from shiny hunting was good (a bit disappointed I couldn’t get a Feb. 29 shiny…Perhaps I’ll try again 4 years from now D: ), and decided to resume hunting today. On the 118th RE of the day and after a total of 2,718 REs, a second shiny Buneary shone!

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/O4g0sZk.jpg[/IMG200]

Not only was it great that it wasn’t a 5th Gastly, but this Buneary is also female as I’d hoped! It’s Docile, has the Run Away ability (another plus!), and has the following IVs: 20 – 30 – 8 – 11 – 22 – 0. Gonna evolve and train this one into Lopunny. Also, my 100th (captured) shiny and it isn’t a useless duplicate! Yay!

The bad news is when I stopped the video, it turned out to…Idk, be corrupted or something? Rather than having a video, it’s sort of just a blank file, so whatever that means…It’s happened a handful of times before (seemingly at random), it just never happened on a video that I found a shiny until now (my luck ran out I guess!). So I’m pretty disappointed with that, as I like being able to rewatch my shinies appearing (and if it isn’t actually recording, why can’t the program just say so…? I have no way of knowing it isn’t actually recording anything until I stop the video >.<).

Now I’ll finally be getting back to Route 203 (at night) once again in the hopes of 1 more Shinx, 2 more Starly, 1-3 Abra, and 0 Bidoof! During the day, I’ll be working on a brand new hunt for Ralts. I still need a Roselia to finish that line, though I’m sure I’ll find plenty once I hunt Kirlia. And sadly, I’ll probably get a few Bibarel here, too. I wouldn’t necessarily mind getting a Staravia, but it’s the same rate as Ralts which would make me feel like I lost a chance at Ralts :p

Good luck, everyone (especially TheMaster327, G-Money, Martinzqx, CharlieDoryRose, Supremacy, umbreonfan3636, Keane, SheroGH, ChaoticInverse, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

Last edited:

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Found this yesterday while getting ready for work. I was searching mirage spots trying to find TMs and randomly came upon it. I decided to name him Jiminy for now.

[IMG139]http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/kyle72686/EEB89356-6B38-4214-BFAB-670C0422475E.jpg[/IMG139]

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats to everyone on your recent shinies!

Welp, I was going to wait to post here again until I found a shiny, but my games didn't want to cooperate with me. ;_; It's officially been two months since my last shiny, which is my longest drought since November/December of 2014. It's certainly not from lack of trying, though - Route 111 is at 6000 REs, Volcarona is at 5400 SRs, Vulpix is at 2400 REs, and Latios is at 3900 RAs. Which means that Omega Ruby has gone over odds once again, and Latios is nearly there as well. Also, Volcarona is by far the longest hunt on my White 2 BQ now, beating Eevee's total by over 2000 encounters. Plz be nice to me games I have to write my senior thesis over the next few months and it's going to drive me insane I need something to keep me happy >_<

Anyway, good luck to all of you on your hunts, especially Supremacy on that stubborn Shinx!

Doomdour

Color Ball Collector
YES! Froakie finally shined and it is female which perfect IVs in HP, defense, special defense, speed. Missing special attack ah well what are ya gonna do. Timid and has her hidden ability protean bred in a luxury ball. :D pretty happy, pic later

TheGreaterLucario

Found this yesterday while getting ready for work. I was searching mirage spots trying to find TMs and randomly came upon it. I decided to name him Jiminy for now.

[IMG139]http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/kyle72686/EEB89356-6B38-4214-BFAB-670C0422475E.jpg[/IMG139]

Congrats on the Shiny DeeleleleleWHOOOOOP!

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I did more chain fishing this afternoon on X version at Route 12, but I didn't find any shinies unfortunately. I began an MM hunt in Heart Gold yesterday night however and I'm hatching eggs for a shiny Munchlax which I hope I'll get within a week, tho it might take much longer hee hee. Well wish me luck ha ha and goodluck to others as well. :3

Fleckihund

I managed to get a shiny eevee after 350 eggs and a shiny charmander after 33 eggs. Woohoo!
Will definitely try to hatch another shiny charmander, since I'm going to gift it to my friend :)

Good luck to everyone!

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Out of the blue, I have encountered with this beautiful puppy while breeding for the Kanto Classic Tournament.

[IMG300]http://i.hizliresim.com/7gMP4v.jpg[/IMG300]

Shame I have placed the wrong Growlithe, so it turned out to be a Relaxed nature with no Egg moves. Nevertheless, he will have his time to shine like a sun in S/M!
IV's are: 31/31/31/X/X/31.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
-_-

Somehow I completely forgot new month = new CH........

And this post's number has 666 in it, as if I'm being punished - totally deserve it because I forgot to update the completion list for the whole February ._.

Anyway, the options are these, PM me your vote, I would appreciate it if you all vote as soon as possible so we can have the CH by tuesday, if not monday :)
(sorry for the rush, my fault there ._.)

#1 MMM (masuda method month)

Hey Shine!

Was thinking about maybe having a Masuda Method month, as Easter is in March this year!

#2 Green / Sun & Moon (if you like one of them, say which one, not just "#2")

Hi there,
I thought for March's community hunt we could go for something green in celebration of St Patrick's day

Alternatively, to celebrate the announcement of Pokemon Sun and Moon, anything that evolves using a Sun or Moon stone.

Thanks!

#3 Batman vs Superman

BvS movie release on march, so how about if we hunt pokemons that can learn superpower move?

#4 all those colours

I was thinking of having a hunt since march has both easter and saint Patrick's day we should have a hunt based on shinies that have the following colors that match the theme of the holidays which are green,yellow,pink,purple,orange,and light blue.

And good luck to all of you shiny hunters :D

Now that I got another job at S/M subforum, I'll be online more often :)

shinycharizard06

DiversePokemonMaster
A week later and I'm back with news!

So I decided that I would do a badgequest after all, and spent all week hunting for number 2 to go along with my bayleef. Well, I ran through, finished the first gym, made it to azale, got myself ready there, and would spend my time hunting on routes or gathering apricorns that I would then turn into balls for my shinies to come. I would change up the route I was on every now and then to just try new things.

Then just a minute ago, BQ #2, showed up on the screen. A shiny mareep! That was one of the ones I wanted most for this! Male, gentle, and I caught him in a love ball! He's so awesome I'm glad to add him to my team. My birthday is tomorrow so this must be my little gift.

Thanks to cpchris for welcoming me back and good luck to all hunting!

TheEliteEmpoleon

My motivation to get this shiny Ho-Oh hasn't dwindled; I've been hunting every chance that I've gotten. Nothing yet though. I'll just keep going. I kinda want this hunt to end so that I can get started on some other ones that I want to get.
Good luck people.

TheGreaterLucario

*sigh* I've been juggling DexNav hunting for Rufflet and SR-ing for Kyurem for the last several weeks with no results. .....ONE OF YOU SHINE ALREADY, DOG FLAMMIT!

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
-_-

Somehow I completely forgot new month = new CH........

And this post's number has 666 in it, as if I'm being punished - totally deserve it because I forgot to update the completion list for the whole February ._.

Anyway, the options are these, PM me your vote, I would appreciate it if you all vote as soon as possible so we can have the CH by tuesday, if not monday :)
(sorry for the rush, my fault there ._.)

#1 MMM (masuda method month)

#2 Green / Sun & Moon (if you like one of them, say which one, not just "#2")

#3 Batman vs Superman

#4 all those colours

And good luck to all of you shiny hunters :D

Now that I got another job at S/M subforum, I'll be online more often :)

it happens I get busy sometime which we have been discussing I will help about working together while your gone and I can report it to you ^_^

anyway I will be hunting soon for another shiny soon just waiting for the announcement of what it will be I got a few things in mind what I want to hunt XD congrats to all those shinies and good luck to those are still hunting ^_^

Last edited:

Phillies

Congratulations to everyone with new shinies this week.

I caught the following pokemon this week Frillish, Seel, Bouffalant & Tropius.

Good luck and happy hunting.

umbreonfan3636

So I just got to Celedon city in FR to SR for Scyther, but to my surprise my coin case only can carry a certain amount of coins (only enough for 1 Scyther). How should I approach this? I'm not sure it's worth the time sink to re-fill my coin case 5 times so I can purchase more.

Good luck everyone!

edit:
Wouldn't you just fill your coin case, save at the exchange counter, accept a Scyther, and reset if it isn't shiny or save again if it is? Good luck!

Yeah, but I was thinking I'd purchase more than 1 at a time like on my HG BQ where I bought 4 Dratini at a time. Looks like that probably won't be happening.

Last edited:

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
So I just got to Celedon city in FR to SR for Scyther, but to my surprise my coin case only can carry a certain amount of coins (only enough for 1 Scyther). How should I approach this? I'm not sure it's worth the time sink to re-fill my coin case 5 times so I can purchase more.

Good luck everyone!

Wouldn't you just fill your coin case, save at the exchange counter, accept a Scyther, and reset if it isn't shiny or save again if it is? Good luck!

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Just in case any of you still can't decide your vote, I'm giving a bit more time :D

It's night in my place at the moment, I'll announce the March CH in the next morning.

Kanethedragon

Veteran Pokegamer
So I've been trying to get back into the competitive scene and everything and all for the games, and the first thing to knock off of my bucket list was netting a competitively viable shiny Female Froakie/Greninja with flawless IVs and hidden ability of protean in Japanese that I can name (my Y and AS are using the Japanese language). Suffice to say, out of my first 100 eggs so far, egg #35 DID shine....but it was a Male Froakie with Torrent and missing its perfect defense IV meaning one of the parents' attack IV got passed and defense got randomized. And so the hunt continues!!!!.....after I do some more Fire Emblem Fates on Lunatic Classic. As for the shiny Froakie, I may just use it as a throwaway mon in one of my Sun & Moon playthroughs and at in-game battle institutions before I give it away to someone.

-Edit- Also by the way I'm obviously making use of MM since I have two different language copies, and I already got the shiny charm so this hunt isn't going to be as painstaking as it may normally be for those without the options available.

Last edited:

Hokker

Wile grinding for the Kanto Classic I found a shiny wingull and shuppett but that was a while ago and I was still trying for a shiny abra. I decided to take a break and do some shiny hunting in safaris. I chose and electric with helioptile and voltorb so I was hoping for the helioptile and got it after about 3 hours of RE's (I don't count them!) now I am searching in a ghost safari hoping for golurk or phantump. I do not need another shuppett but I will give it to my daughter or wonder trade it. Can't wait for the march community hunt. I always have fun trying to figure out what to try for!

Airid

I was running around in my friend's ice safari, for a shiny snorunt. After a while of no snorunt, I end up getting a different encounter: A Shiny Piloswine, with it's HA. Wow, my first post and legit shiny!

As for my Togepi hunt: 30 Eggs and no shiny. I might pause on this hunt for a few days.