• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Tagi

Just got my fourth shiny on my Omega Ruby badge quest, shiny Slugma.

I was expecting one of the two common options (I've never used a Koffing before and shiny Camerupt on the team would be awesome) but yeah, Magcargo is cute anyways XD

Almost instantly it is time to take on the fifth gym so I need to go hunting again. I was hoping for a bit of a break. The Koffing horde encounters are so laggy I was getting tired of hunting really quickly. I could stay in the place and try for a shiny Numel again or maybe try the desert? Decisions.

pokefreak2014

Shiny Hunter!
Long Time, No See

Man, it has been a WHILE since I last posted here! I've enjoyed visiting occasionally to read about everyone's shiny hunting endeavors, but I've had no time to do any hunting myself (mainly due to senior year of college). However, I had a break and 8 hours of car rides, so I decided to pull out some games and do some hunting. I'm very glad that I did:

IMG_0252.jpg

After over a year of nothing from me, I caught shiny #4 of my Platinum BQ (and it only took about an hour of SRing in the car). It's good to see that my Platinum still has some luck! I've now beat gym #4, and I'm currently at a loss for target #5. I'm debating doing more SRs for a shiny fossil, but we'll see.

A HUGE congrats to all the shinies that have been found and caught since I previously posted here last January! And continue to have happy hunting, everybody!

EDIT: Here are the IVs (mainly for my own reference):

HP: 0-3
Att: 26
Def: 12-15
Sp.Att: 0-3
Sp.Def: 16-19
Speed: 26

Eh, pretty mediocre to be honest. However, a shiny is a shiny!

Last edited:

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Ambri on Numel, TheMaster327 on Bronzor, FairyWitch on Fletchling, Echo Nacyl on Litwick, yoshi007, ClipOwl on Cottonee, Crimson Penguin on Latios, Supremacy on Shinx, Dangertrout on Happiny (good to hear from you again :) ), Blasting Toise on Ekans, wobbanut, Laurelai on Miltank, SkyMew on Mewtwo (and happy birthday!), maldoror on Chatot, jrmftw on Houndour and Nidorino and Roggenrola, Cyberra on Electrike, pokefreak2014 on Spiritomb, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks for the congrats, Ambri, FairyWitch, ClipOwl, and Crimson Penguin :)

-----------

I decided to make a shiny type dex for each type (just in paint) while I hunt. Took a while, but I finished them. I just have the sprites of all the pokemon of each type in order by dex number, with a line through the ones I have and then a final count off to the side. Since I only hunt in 4th and 5th gen, I didn’t include 6th gen (though I did still put in pokemon that you can’t get shiny without disabling shiny hacks or hacking in events, such as Arceus, or pokemon that can’t be shiny until 6th gen, like Zekrom). The type I have the most unique shinies of by quantity is Normal type with 18. The type I have the most of in terms of completion is Steel with 11/37 Steel types.

This is what they look like:

[IMG200]https://i.imgur.com/98W8uwd.png[/IMG200]

Then I have one where I just put all the type counts in:

[IMG200]https://i.imgur.com/eKWagnp.png[/IMG200]

I just found it interesting to see what my shiny collection is like in terms of typing :)

My Black 2 has passed 3x over odds…And I actually have yet to get a shiny on it in 2016! Which makes me realize had it been averaging the same as my other hunts (4 shinies on Platinum and 4 on HeartGold excluding the 2 Johto starters), I could have 14 shinies this year :c Currently, this is my 7th longest hunt. Hopefully Black 2 is going to make it up to me in the future, especially when 2 shinies ago I hit 36k on it!

Speaking of Black 2, my trainer card passed 300,000 encounters a couple days ago! Having found 34 shinies on this game, that averages about 8.8k REs/shiny.

Aside from that, Platinum is at 4,500 REs and HeartGold is at 4,300 REs. Going to try to work on getting another HG playthrough finished...Maybe it'll encourage my next Charmander to shine ;) Currently at 4 Badges on it.

Good luck, everyone (especially G-Money, Martinzqx, CharlieDoryRose, umbreonfan3636, Keane, SheroGH, ChaoticInverse, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

Tagi

Man, it has been a WHILE since I last posted here! I've enjoyed visiting occasionally to read about everyone's shiny hunting endeavors, but I've had no time to do any hunting myself (mainly due to senior year of college). However, I had a break and 8 hours of car rides, so I decided to pull out some games and do some hunting. I'm very glad that I did:

View attachment 15410

After over a year of nothing from me, I caught shiny #4 of my Platinum BQ (and it only took about an hour of SRing in the car). It's good to see that my Platinum still has some luck! I've now beat gym #4, and I'm currently at a loss for target #5. I'm debating doing more SRs for a shiny fossil, but we'll see.

A HUGE congrats to all the shinies that have been found and caught since I previously posted here last January! And continue to have happy hunting, everybody!

Mega congrats, I've been hunting for one on Pearl on and off for over a year so I'm really jealous XD

Hokker

congrats on successful hunts. after 3 days of horde battles waiting for leppa berries to grow, I caught 2 shiny psyducks! I had hit a dry spell and hopefully this is the start of good luck for me.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Oh wow, that was quick...

I was magnet pulling on route 113 for a shiny skarmory. After a mere 320 encounters, a green-and-gold steel bird soared out of the falling ash. Female, timid nature, somewhat stubborn, and she has Keen Eye. I'm so happy :D

Now I'm going to tackle the fourth gym. My shiny gyarados is lvl 37 and knows Aqua Tail, so this is going to be a quick fight.

I think I'm going to horde hunt in the Jagged Pass next, but I'm not sure yet.

Blasting Toise

Hi all and congrats on all recent shinies and good luck to your current hunts. And thanks for the congrats on Ekans- She is now beautiful Golden Arbok nd suits perfectly to my egypt-theme with gold and blue. :)

I EV-trained with hordes and found a shiny Gulpin in Y. I still have a few shinies in hordes to capture.

eiger

Shiny Hunter
Hi. First of all congratulations to everyone with their recent shinies!

It took me some time, but I finally hatched my adamant perfect 5IV Scyther! Called her Carnage and is allready evolved into Scizor.
Then I started hunting on shiny Azelf to complete my shiny pixy trio. After only 3 days Azelf shone! I was happy that I found Azelf so quick, but when I started battling I quickly realised it won't be easy capturing it... I forgot to bring my partner Bisharp with me who has all the moves for a swift capture. I was on my very last pokémon and used up all my potions. I only had one chance left at throwing a succesfull ball before Azelf would finish me off with uproar. Luckily I was able to capture it! What a relief! Timid, good IVs except for speed. Still thinking about a fitting name for him...

Good luck to everyone on their current and future hunts!

Phillies

Congratulations to everyone who caught new shinies this week.

I managed to catch the following pokemon using the DexNav feature - Duskull & Chimecho. I also caught a Sealeo & Drowzee in the Friend Safari. After that I tried horde hunting for a Houndour & either a Miltank or Tauros. I ended up catching 2 Yanma and 2 Nosepass and also killing a 3rd before getting my Houndour. I am currently at 3 Wingull and 2 Mareep and still haven't gotten my Miltank or Tauros.

Good luck to everyone on their current and future hunting.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
And that didn't take long, either.

I was hunting hordes in the Jagged Pass (would have liked to try for bagon in Meteor Falls but I don't have Waterfall yet), and after 578 hordes/2,890 pokemon seen I get a shiny spoink. She's lonely and somewhat of a clown, with Thick Fat.

Time to go for the fifth gym. I have a lvl 50 blaziken who knows Double Kick, so the gym is going to go down pretty fast.. Then time to figure out my next hunt.

Edit: And I have gotten my sixth shiny. I was considering SRing castform but chose instead to chain fish for feebas. I took four chains because it kept breaking, but finally, after 24 casts on my fourth try, a purple fish came to the surface and was caught in a dive ball. She is bold and mischievous, with Swift Swim. I have a prism scale from the global link, so I can evolve her right away.

Now to thrash the sixth gym and finally be able to fly around.

Last edited:

Diego24

Wurmple

Hi, It has been long time since I post something.
I restarted my AS and last weekend completed my living dex. I wanted catch shiny with my new shiny charm. I decided for wurmple. After 193 Hordes it shined.
And she evolved into beautyfull dustox. Now I am deciding what Shiny legend I want for next hunt. Sadly I have to wait for 2 months because of my Maturita exams.

DSC_0319.jpg
Good luck everbody!

Aesnath

But Nothing Happened
Hello again everyone! I'm happy to be back!

First off, congrats to the successful and good luck to those still searching.

I have now completed my longest shiny hunt to date. Beginning on August 29th I began SRing for Groudon on my wife's copy of Soul Silver. Last Friday night, the big armadill-lobster thing turned green. All told, I've spent nearly seven months SRing for this thing, and, while I stopped trying to count, given that I usually SR 1,000-2,000 times a week, it was well over 20,000 SRs to find it. I got him into a heavy ball without much trouble, and now I'm on my way.

I'm still trying to catch a shiny version of every legend available currently. At this point, I have everything available on Alpha Ruby, and I've caught Kyogre, Groudon, Mewtwo, Articuno, Moltres, and Zapdos on HG/SS. Now for Rayquaza. I hope to report back sooner than I did last time.

When times are down, remember keep the faith!

TheEliteEmpoleon

Congrats to all who have caught a shiny recently. I've been going strong in my Suicune hunt all week, thanks to spring break. Today's the last day though, so if I don't get it today, it could be a few more days before I even have the chance to hunt again. Needless to say, I'm going non-stop today. Anyway, good luck people.

Dragon trainer

Arise from the Ashes
I'm still struggling to get a shiny Munna :-(
But congratulations to everyone for getting their shinies

I'm working on my shiny charm for now I'm on 678 out of 720 mostly just legendary pokemon needed but got some breeding to do so fingers crossed that I get really lucky

MightyImitation

Shiny Kabuto Tamer
Hello everyone!

Hey guys, I'm MightyImitation and I would love to be a part of your thread. I've actually just found a Shiny Mew to show off which I obtained yesterday, so I'll leave a link to my YouTube video here. I'm getting back into shiny hunting but as you can probably tell I'm not exactly new to it aha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI4S22aH5Xg

Cheers!

EDIT: I'd like to post a picture of Mew but it's telling me it's denied? It says you can't have a certain number of URLs or any forbidden words, and I tried removing the youtube link but it still doesn't let me. Any idea what's going on?

BIG EDIT: No word of a lie I just found SHINY ARCEUS on my platinum, literally just now! And that was only ONE DAY after finding Mew! Will have the video up tomorrow!

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
:D:D:D I got my seventh badge quest shiny!

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/937_zpsfbltugkd.jpg[/img139]

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE He's so beautiful!

I was sort of stuck on what to hunt for next until I realized that Southern Island can be accessed from Lilycove City. I flew back to Petalburg to show Norman the eon ticket and got access to the island (had to make a quick trip back when I realized I'd forgotten my sleeper) and then set up camp in front of latios. After only 370 run aways, he shines! ^_^ He's brave and capable of taking hits, with Levitate.

XD And at some point I caught pokerus, too.

Now I can head for the next gym and figure out what my next target will be ^_^

Last edited:

Laurelai

Congrats on recent shinies and welcome MightyImitation! Yesterday hatched my Porygon so its #99 in my shiny hunt, and CH COMPLETE number two :D It was a pretty quick hunt- hatched maybe 70 eggs after stabilizing the IVs. Modo has 5 prefect IVs missing SpAtk =/

[img139]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m36/Laure1ai/IMG_20160328_073759.jpg_zpspn7j66bg.png[/img139]

One more to go to 100! I'm hatching up eggs for my favorite pokemon Lapras :D I have the nature and am breeding a HA female now who is up to 5 prefect IVs. Hopefully today I will hatch one that has 6 IVs for breeding. Then its just bike bike bike bike.....

yoshi007

Ice Type Trainer
Hey guys, I'm MightyImitation and I would love to be a part of your thread. I've actually just found a Shiny Mew to show off which I obtained yesterday, so I'll leave a link to my YouTube video here. I'm getting back into shiny hunting but as you can probably tell I'm not exactly new to it aha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI4S22aH5Xg

Cheers!

EDIT: I'd like to post a picture of Mew but it's telling me it's denied? It says you can't have a certain number of URLs or any forbidden words, and I tried removing the youtube link but it still doesn't let me. Any idea what's going on?

BIG EDIT: No word of a lie I just found SHINY ARCEUS on my platinum, literally just now! And that was only ONE DAY after finding Mew! Will have the video up tomorrow!

If I'm not mistaken, you have to have made a certain number of posts before you can post or attach pictures. I can't remember the exact number of posts though. Congrats on the Mew and Arceus though! :)

I'm at work (lunch break) and on my phone at the moment so I'll do a proper congrats post for everyone when I get home, but for now, congrats to everyone on your shinies!

I have no shiny news myself, but I've been focusing mainly on Reshiram and also making my way through FireRed which is going well. Hopefully Reshiram sparkles soon, as it's one of my most wanted shinies right now. :)

Good luck to everyone on your hunts!

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
Oh hey! I was wondering if there was ever going to be another shiny hunting thread after I left Serebiiforums a few years back. I was around when the Shiny Hunter's Club got closed down and everybody from that club moved to the Shiny Hunters Forums.

So I've been hunting on and off for a few months, and haven't found my targets yet. :(

I'm SRing for any one of the Johto starters in HG, Mudkip on AS and Turtwig on Platinum. I am considering doing a badgequest for HG at some point, depending on how I feel about it when the Johto starter shows up.

LucarioMan101

HGSS ftw!!!!!!
Welp. It's been a while. I've been plagued with bad luck lately, with my only MM hunt just refusing to shine and an SR hunt going supremely over odds. But I come bearing some good news.

First, on March 14th I was ev-training some pokemon and a shiny Whismur appeared:

Cc8YmSk.jpg

NfV81iL.jpg

This is fitting since I've been steadily acquiring the ev training horde hunt shinies (Shuppet on Christmas, Zubat in February and now Whismur in March, all unintentional). It's cute but I already have a 1/8192 Whismur from a Ruby badge quest many years ago and being wild it's nature/ivs suck. It was a nice surprise in any case.

More importantly, today one of my SR hunts came to a finish:

XCSBdRE.jpg

JpDmtyJ.jpg

A few weeks after I got my Registeel (Valentine's Day) I started SRing for the rock golem. However, the hunting was sporadic and it's only been in the last few days that I really dedicated myself to hunting it. I doubt I even broke 1000 SRs, which has been a fortunate and exceptional trend with my AlphaSapphire copy since I don't even have the Shiny Charm. The battle was shockingly easy. I just narrowed down it's health with super fang a few times, brought out my Breloom, used Spore, threw an Ultra Ball, and bam! Shiny caught! This was markedly different from my battle with Registeel, which took forever and made me very nervous.

My sync worked, so it's Impish nature and its IVs are 1/13/31/31/31/31. It's a pity that it's perfect Sp.Atk and Speed couldn't have been swapped with HP and Atk, but it's not like Regirock is very competitively viable either way so I don't care that much; I'm just excited it has perfect Def and Sp. Def! I like the colors very much and I think I'll be training it up to help me defeat the Elite Four, which is very much overdue in this Badge Quest since I've obtained 10 shinies. After that I'll probably get started on Regice. I have a bet with myself that I can get the four Regis before Groudon shines in Soul Silver (the hunt that has gone supremely over odds).

Congrats on everyone's shinies and good luck to anyone whose hunts are being stubborn!