• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

RedJirachi

Veteran member
As far as I know, the answer is a definite resounding no. There are plenty of people with every pokemon shiny and they obviously hacked.

I have seen some collections people have that are almost complete but they are comprised of shinnies self caught as well as traded and wonder traded shinnies. It is impossible to verify the legitmateness of traded and wonder traded shinnies. There are people who literally upload hacked shinnies all day on wonder trade.

The closest I seen in a collection comprised of only self caught shinnies, they were in the 200 range of different shinnies (not counting same species like say multiple shiny magikarp caught while fishing but only counting one of them for dex purposes). However I also take this with a grain of salt because some of them hack in items such as masterballs or tickets to get access to event pokemon, so this for me puts their entire collection into question. Plus I don't think it is fair to count shinnies that they normally wouldn't have had access too without hacking.

Me personally I have 70 something different shinnies and most of those were caught back in the 8k odds days. I plan on starting up again and going for a complete shiny dex. But to put how arduous this will be into perspective, it would take a minimum of two years of catching a new shiny every single day to complete it (with all legitimate possible shinnies that is). Sure you can get lucky and catch multiple shinnies in one day, I think my record is 4. But there will also be days you catch nothing. Not to mention you would need multiple games across multiple generations to get every single pokemon shiny legimate. Some these are only accessible in the 8k odds games.

That is not to say that it is impossible, only that realistically speaking it would take enormous dedication, luck and time. Anyone who claims otherwise is either lying, hacking or naive.

Just for final thought, Sun and Moon are bringing new pokemon which means even more shinnies to try and catch. So be prepared to be in the hunting business for the next couple years if you truly want a complete legit shiny dex.

Eventually Pokemon is going to end and humans will develop a means of immortality. Only then do people have a chance of catching every shiny...after 700 years

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Samayouru on Chikorita, Paraqua on all the Litleo and Duskull and Exeggcute, Mrs. Oreo on Charmander, Aesnath on Rayquaza, TheMaster327 on Venipede, Mash on Cresselia, AwesomeEric on Espurr, Schade on Phantump, and everyone else on your shinies!

-----------

Okay, this is more like it ^ ^ After 1,782 REs and on the 282nd RE of the day, a shiny Absol finally appeared on my Black 2!

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/Hdr76Jm.jpg[/IMG200]

I COMPLETELY missed this thing appearing. I’ve been rewatching the Bourne trilogy last night and today for the 5th (6th? 7th? 8th?) time and was half-way through Ultimatum when I looked down and saw a red Absol on my screen! Didn’t see it appearing and didn’t hear the sparkles (my headphone volume isn’t very loud and I often still hear the sparkles, but not this time :x).

My awesome new absol is Male, Serious, has the Super Luck Ability, and has the following IVs: 7 – 24 – 8 – 22 – 18 – 30. So pretty good Attack and Speed which is nice! I’ll have to EV train this up and then finish training up my first 2 Altaria (currently Lv. 88 and 86), and then it’s onto my next hunt which…Eek. I think I’m gonna go through with Eevee next before resuming Lairon :x

UGH. Welp at least I found an Absol today too…2nd shiny Bibarel today after 9,258 REs.

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/M7UANrs.jpg[/IMG200]

I now have 2 Bidoof and 3 Bibarel on my Platinum, and obviously I only needed 1 of each…I expected to find a handful of Bibarel on this hunt since it’s 30% here, but I also expected to find things that aren’t Bibarel since…You know…70% is a lot better chance than 30%. This one is male, Lonely, Unaware ability, and the following IVs: 18 – 20 – 18 – 0 – 19 – 7. Changing grass patches since, despite it just being some pointless superstition, doing so has resulted in me getting my targets afterwards (most recently Absol and Buneary) x.X

Good luck, everyone (especially Zenn of Ascension, LucarioMan101, G-Money, Martinzqx, CharlieDoryRose, umbreonfan3636, Keane, SheroGH, ChaoticInverse, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
*wails* After 6,385 soft resets, I got my next BQ target, shiny regirock. But as I was trying to weaken it my manectric landed a critical hit and killed it ;_;

That's the first time I've failed a shiny legend.

And the SR continues until that chocolate golem returns to me.

Edit: After losing regirock I decided I need a better hunting 'mon on my team, so I switched back to Y to catch a breloom and breed a shroomish, which I will train and level till it learns Spore, then evolve it and switch it over to AS. On the fourth freaking encounter I find a shiny mankey >.< Okay, now the games are just mocking me.

Mankey is male, gentle, alert to sounds, has Vital Spirit, and will be traded off shortly.

Last edited:

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
*wails* After 6,385 soft resets, I got my next BQ target, shiny regirock. But as I was trying to weaken it my manectric landed a critical hit and killed it ;_;

That's the first time I've failed a shiny legend.

And the SR continues until that chocolate golem returns to me.

Edit: After losing regirock I decided I need a better hunting 'mon on my team, so I switched back to Y to catch a breloom and breed a shroomish, which I will train and level till it learns Spore, then evolve it and switch it over to AS. On the fourth freaking encounter I find a shiny mankey >.< Okay, now the games are just mocking me.

Mankey is male, gentle, alert to sounds, has Vital Spirit, and will be traded off shortly.

Word of advice - Breloom is not really the best hunting 'mon if it doesn't have its HA Toxic Heal. the reason for this is because of Effect Spore, and the last thing you need is having that ability triggered and causing your target to faint from Poisoning it unintentionally.

I know a lot of people like Smeargle, considering it can use Sketch to learn Spore, False Swipe and other useful moves. I prefer Watchog myself considering that it has the Illuminate ability as well as moves that can help weaken the target without KOing it.

I'm kinda torn for my next hunt. I really want to hunt in Slowpoke Well for my second BQ hunt, but I'm not sure how to map out the rest of the BQ based on what I find in Slowpoke Well.

AwesomeEric

After 44 eggs, I hatch this blue guy. I'm happy with it, especially since I decided to put my breeding skills to work and use a Modest Snivy from the hunt. Also, this marks the first time I hatch 2 shinies in a day. The other was the Espurr from the last post. Here are the images for the Snivy. I put the images like this due to sites like Imgur being blocked from the school's WiFi. I'll try to do it at home from now on.

I'm now trying to Horde Hunt in Route 101. Unfortunately, I can't seem to be able to SR for a Legendary since I caught all of them. I don't see why I can't catch them again, even though I had to for the Pokedex. T_T

Congrats to Samayouru on Chikorita, Paraqua on all the Litleo and Duskull and Exeggcute, Mrs. Oreo on Charmander, Aesnath on Rayquaza, TheMaster327 on Venipede, Mash on Cresselia, AwesomeEric on Espurr, Schade on Phantump, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks! This really is fun, honestly. *gives self a pat on the back*

Last edited:

whitening

newbie/masuda

alright, quick question
I'm a newbie to both forums and pokemon games (I just recently restarted playing)
can I ask a question about the masuda method here? should I introduce myself? should I post it on another topic?
thanks!

Last edited:

maldoror

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck on your ongoing hunts!

I have recently gotten back in to regular hunting and have had some successes:

Shiny Shelmet - RE on route 14
Shiny Gastly - MM (approximately 1300 eggs)
Shiny Jynx - RE in Frost Cavern
Shiny Munchlax - MM (approximately 600 eggs)
Shiny Mareep - Random Horde Encounter on route 12
Shiny Baltoy - RE in Relic Castle (this one took over 20K encounters)

pictures: http://i.imgur.com/3vJqesI.png

I am currently MM hunting Bonsly on Y and RE hunting Joltik on White2.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
alright, quick question
I'm a newbie to both forums and pokemon games (I just recently restarted playing)
can I ask a question about the masuda method here?

To use the "Masuda Method" often shortened to MM, you need to breed Pokémon from Different language games. (Language of the game does not matter for MM,)

Before Gen 6, I used to recommend finding a Japanese Ditto mainly due to how easy to identify it compared to your own Language, and Ditto is recommended as it can breed with almost all Pokémon. In Gen 6, The Language of the Pokémon's origin game is shown in a Tag after the Level, As shown here.

Since Diamond and Pearl, you can use the Masuda Method. However the chances for Shiny are as follows:

Base rate: 1/8192
Base rate with Shiny Charm: 1/2730 (Black2/White2 only)
Breeding with MM in Gen 4: 1/1639
Breeding with MM in Gen 5: 1/1366
Breeding with MM + Shiny Charm: 1/1024 (Black2/White2 only)

XY/ORAS.
Base rate in Gen 6: 1/4096
Base rate in Gen 6 with Shiny Charm: 1/1365
Friend Safari: 1/512
Breeding with MM in Gen 6: 1/683
Breeding with MM + Shiny Charm in Gen 6: 1/512

As with any chance based mechanic, you may find your next wild Pokémon in Diamond to be shiny, and you have to hatch over a 1000 Pokémon in AS with a Shiny Charm with having MM parents.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
I mean: has anyone captured every shiny that can possibly exist?

There's this one guy, I think his name is KangasKid that posts on Reddit and YT. He's the closest I've seen to completing it. He already caught all possible shinies in the 6th gen games and now he's working on the weather trio in 4th gen.

Plus I don't think it is fair to count shinnies that they normally wouldn't have had access too without hacking.

So I should just ignore all the effort I put into my Mew hunt because I used a AR to gain access to Faraway Island? No thanks.

-------------

So I decided to hunt for shiny Magmar at Feugo Ironworks for my BQ, already at 5.2k encounters so far. I've been making sure to to change my DS clock so that its always morning/day ingame since thats when Magmar is most common. But it does share its encounter rate with Magnemite so this could turn into another phase frenzy type hunt. Hopefully not though!

Gratz on all the recent shinies, especially Cpchris on Absol, and Aesnath on Rayquaza! Good luck everyone! :]

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Word of advice - Breloom is not really the best hunting 'mon if it doesn't have its HA Toxic Heal. the reason for this is because of Effect Spore, and the last thing you need is having that ability triggered and causing your target to faint from Poisoning it unintentionally.

I know a lot of people like Smeargle, considering it can use Sketch to learn Spore, False Swipe and other useful moves. I prefer Watchog myself considering that it has the Illuminate ability as well as moves that can help weaken the target without KOing it.

Actually breloom's hidden ability is Technician, which powers up weaker moves, and the shroomish I chose to train had its HA. So my breloom has Technician, not Poison Heal or Effect Spore. It's not an ability that can cripple the 'mon I'm trying to weaken. It makes False Swipe hit harder, so it should take less shots to bring regirock's health down. Poison Heal would be good with a toxic orb to help keep breloom healthy, but I don't have a toxic orb atm.

Approaching 6,900 total SRs for regirock now. Have not been working on Maniac Tunnel much so it's at 9,800 REs and holding

Shido-

So I should just ignore all the effort I put into my Mew hunt because I used a AR to gain access to Faraway Island? No thanks.

You are entitled to hunt however you feel like it. How ever you value your hunts is up to you. I just personally don't approve of hacking, or getting advantages over other people by hacking, or bragging about something that was only possible due to hacking. There are plenty of people who do not care and that is their call to make when considering the legitimacy of a person's collection. For those who do care I mention it. I would hate for a non hacking player to think it is possible to capture said shinnies and end up utterly disappointed when they find out they need to cheat to accomplish it.

TheGreaterLucario

You are entitled to hunt however you feel like it. How ever you value your hunts is up to you. I just personally don't approve of hacking, or getting advantages over other people by hacking, or bragging about something that was only possible due to hacking. There are plenty of people who do not care and that is their call to make when considering the legitimacy of a person's collection. For those who do care I mention it. I would hate for a non hacking player to think it is possible to capture said shinnies and end up utterly disappointed when they find out they need to cheat to accomplish it.

See, I'm kind of in a grey area on this. If he had hacked to get the Mew itself (i.e. PokeGen'd it or used some sort of "All Pokemon caught are Shiny" cheat), then I would have a problem. But he didn't. True, he hacked to be able to get to the location to be able to encounter Mew, but the rest he did on his own. He saved and went through the ridiculous amount of time it takes to SR for a Shiny in Gen 3, and that to me is what counts. I'm willing to make an exception for using cheats to access an event-only area for an event that has long since past and is inaccessible without them, on a game that's several Generations old.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector

I've recently gotten on the Smeargle train, but before him, I had bred a Parasect with Damp ability to prevent Selfdestruct/Explosion that knows False Swipe, Spore, and Sweet Scent. I considered it my ultimate catching machine, except it was often outsped by wild Pokemon until it finally got to lv100. I prefer Smeargle because he's faster and I was able to teach him Spore and Thunder Wave to make sure it always has a status dealing move (my Virizion wasn't effected by Spore, so that was another downfall of Parasect) along with False Swipe and Super Fang to weaken without fainting.

Sorry about the Regirock, Cyberra. Hopefully you are able to reclaim it quickly.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
There's only 1 April CH idea PM-ed to me so far, I'll give a bit more time for you to send ideas if you have any :)

Once we have at least 3 ideas the voting will start, so be fast please :D

CharlieDoryRose

Dragon Freak
Hey everyone! First off a big congrats to Mash and Cpchris! And Cyberra, I've been there I know how it feels! Don't give up!!

Lugia hit 2,000 soft resets last night, and my Soul Silver BQ has hit 11,000 REs. Wish me luck!!

EDIT: OH MY GOSH!! 2,399 Soft Resets!!
url]

Last edited:

Zenon

Sky Trainer
Hey everyone! First off a big congrats to Mash and Cpchris! And Cyberra, I've been there I know how it feels! Don't give up!!

Lugia hit 2,000 soft resets last night, and my Soul Silver BQ has hit 11,000 REs. Wish me luck!!

Good luck! It's a really essential part of shiny hunting, I can tell for sure...
I have a shiny charm and I've been horde hunting for weeks now. At the very beginning I got shinies like every 100 encounters or so. But staring from 2 days ago, I had almost 2000 encounters already and still no shiny whatsoever.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Not much shiny news from me this week, even though I did a quad hunt most of the week. Just another shiny wingull while trying to horde spam for a shiny mareep on X. :p

I may start coming back more often, though, instead of just once a week, because very soon I'm going to be playing a massive catchup with the Pokemon anime, and I'll want to review episodes. I've got three years and three or four movies to get through. Yeah, I'm *that* far behind. Real life just interfered a lot.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I've been fishing for shinies these past two days on X and Omega Ruby, but nothing has appeared so instead I've decided to take a small break from chain fishing and I'll focus instead of Friend safari shiny hunting on X this weekend. I'll also try hatching eggs for another Masuda method shiny hunt this afternoon and see where that takes me. ^^

silver_phoenix

Fluffy Pokemon Trainer
Almost snagged a shiny Ho-Oh from the GTS today. The person trading it wanted a Flareon of any gender or level. Was so close! When I offered up my Flareon for it, of course it had already been taken by someone else!

Kunashi

I have a Shiny Lucario I would like to trade for a Shiny Noibat.

Specifics:
Shiny Lucario specifics
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Inner Focus
Blue Pentagon, Red Star, Pink Smiley Face
Friend Code: 2062-9945-3884