• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer
I accidentally hatched a shiny Treecko while breeding for one with Hidden Power Fire. I immediately showed the one other guy on my floor that plays. Sadly, the Treecko didn't have Hidden Power Fire, but I can make it work.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Cyberra on Mankey (too bad about Regirock =/), AwesomeEric on Snivy; maldoror on Shelmet, Gastly, Jynx, Munchlax, and Baltoy; Kansas_Rocks! on Treecko, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks for the congrats, Supremacy and CharlieDoryRose :)

-----------

I think I’m gonna put the Eevee hunt off. In order to do this hunt the way I want, I’ll have to either not watch anything while I’m hunting (like movies), or put my other 2 games aside. I definitely want to get back to Eevee, I’ll just have to get back to it when I figure out exactly how I want to go about doing it. I really don’t want to put my other games aside atm simply because I have so many targets I want to find on them. Maybe I’ll figure out something down the road, like maybe I’ll try to do some encounters for Eevee part of the time and then SR fossils on Black 2 when I want to watch movies, and that way it won’t mess up my RE count. But for now, I think I’ll go back to Lairon. I started hunting that line a year and a half ago and it’d be nice to get it finished!

Erm…This was rather…Onix-pected >_> (Sorry) After 671 REs on Black 2 and on the 371st RE of the night, I found a shiny Onix.

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/6dzMnBw.jpg[/IMG200]

Really didn’t think I’d be finding one of these during this hunt, but…At least it was a fun surprise, though I’m a little disappointed as I expected to find this on HeartGold (not any time soon, but eventually once I got around to certain hunts, Onix would be pretty much unavoidable). I also can’t help but feel like my game is telling me I should have hunted Eevee, with Onix being a 5% pokemon >_> But still no to that hunt probably until I get around to hunting fossils.

Anyways, this one is male, Impish, Rock Head ability, and the following IVs: 7 – 30 – 6 – 5 – 28 – 17. I’m leaving it unevolved for now, but given the nature and good attack IVs, this one might end up evolved in the end. But for now, I’ll wait until I find a second one. This is also my 4th shiny this month and it’s not even 1/3 of the way through o_O

EDIT: I'm an idiot x.X Not sure what caused my brain to forget, but I was leading with both an Illuminator (fainted) and a Magnet Puller. In other words, I wasn't Magnet Pulling >_> And as I now need to complete both the Onix and Nosepass lines in addition to Lairon...I'm going to not Magnet Pull for the time being. Maybe for now I'll up it to a Lv. 57 repel trick to make Onix more common...

Good luck, everyone (especially Zenn of Ascension, LucarioMan101, G-Money, Martinzqx, CharlieDoryRose, umbreonfan3636, Keane, SheroGH, ChaoticInverse, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

Last edited:

Dragon trainer

Arise from the Ashes
I got myself a shiny Ninetails from wonder trading yesterday with a fire plate attached. Well chuffed made up for not getting last month CH

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
On wondertrade Wednesday I got a shiny quilava. So happy since it's my 2nd favorite first evolution starter ^^ it doesn't have a hidden ability but it does have extrasensory.

Zenn of Ascension

After 4,032 soft resets, shiny Treecko appeared. Very happy that this was such a short hunt for a change. Has an Adamant nature which isn't the best in third gen, but that doesn't bother me much.

Encounter

Summary

My SP's screen goes white on the edges so the picture quality is a little off. I guess I'll turn this into a BQ and start hunting in Granite Cave for a Mawile or Aron. Hopefully, Aerodactyl will shine soon as well, I'm around 27,700 for it now. Congrats and good luck to everyone hunting.

Sulfurian

After about 200 resets, I got my shiny zapdos in fire red. I was wondering if I max out it's special attack IV (It has 3-4 atm) would the bank count it as a hacked pokemon? Or does changing the IV change the pokemon's ID's in any significant way that it could be rejected?

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
After about 200 resets, I got my shiny zapdos in fire red. I was wondering if I max out it's special attack IV (It has 3-4 atm) would the bank count it as a hacked pokemon? Or does changing the IV change the pokemon's ID's in any significant way that it could be rejected?

Now I'm not sure on how bank would treat it, but my two cents on this: Why? It's preference and all but the shiny should be "accepted" even if it has poor IVs. FireRed is not 6th Gen, so you would be lucky to find any Pokemon with 31s. 31 IVs are everywhere in Gen 6, and create this standard where 1 poor IV is liable for complaint despite the rest of the shiny's IVs being 31 (yes, granted, perfect shinies are incredibly satisfying). Holding this standard to games pre-Gen 6 is a bit odd.

It's fine if you would want to adjust the IV (and I wouldn't deem it as hacked), and I reckon bank wouldn't see the difference, but I think there's no need to do it to a shiny from a Gen 3 game when the IVs were never going to be flawless.

I actually managed to get 31 IV's in health and speed, with a rash nature. I wasn't gonna change any other IV, especially when the special attack is so low for rash.

That's pretty impressive :eek: It's up to you really, regardless of what someone else's opinion is.

Last edited:

Sulfurian

Now I'm not sure on how bank would treat it, but my two cents on this: Why? It's preference and all but the shiny should be "accepted" even if it has poor IVs. FireRed is not 6th Gen, so you would be lucky to find any Pokemon with 31s. 31 IVs are everywhere in Gen 6, and create this standard where 1 poor IV is liable for complaint despite the rest of the shiny's IVs being 31 (yes, granted, perfect shinies are incredibly satisfying). Holding this standard to games pre-Gen 6 is a bit odd.

It's fine if you would want to adjust the IV (and I wouldn't deem it as hacked), and I reckon bank wouldn't see the difference, but I think there's no need to do it to a shiny from a Gen 3 game when the IVs were never going to be flawless.

I actually managed to get 31 IV's in health and speed, with a rash nature. I wasn't gonna change any other IV, especially when the special attack is so low for rash.

TheBuckeye11

Shiny Hunter
got a shiny seedot after about 12 horde encounters and a shiny zigzagoon in about 20 min

TheGOAT

Mac-Daddy
Okay, so I've been getting into shiny hunting lately, already have around... 8-9 on Omega Ruby. Working on a living dex to get the shiny charm for my XY and AS, well over on Reddit in r/ShinyPokemon, someone posted a video they found a shiny Cyndaquil, and I thought, "Hey, that would be fun to play around with, so I grabbed my SS, started it up, and started soft reseting for a shiny starter. I was shooting for Totodile most, as its my favorite johto Starter, sadly I didn't get it, but....

34 SOFT RESETS LATER. (YOU SAW THAT RIGHT. THIRTY-EFFING-FOUR) Shiny Chikorita showed up!

Starter selection. https://imgur.com/OplIuO3

Walking: https://imgur.com/O20dPyq

Summary: https://imgur.com/a/V0dzs

It is a serious nature.

I'm thinking about trading it to my diamond so I can continue to soft reset for Totodile or Cyndaquil. Hopefully Totodile!

I also just started to soft reset for Shiny Ho-Oh in my OR, so hopefully it shines soon

Sulfurian

So after doing some research, in Gen 5 they changed Iv's and PID's of shiny's to be non-related. So in order to reliably modify the IV's of my legit shiny zapdos, without anything potentially going wrong, I would have to transfer my zapdos to black and white, and then potentially change the IV's so nothing else would get adjusted?

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats to Blasting Toise on Weepinbell, Meditite, Ekans, Gulpin, Koffing, and Shroomish, Supremacy on Shinx and Munchlax, Dangertrout on Happiny, Auraninja on Staryu and Clauncher, Mrs. Oreo on Carvanha and Charmander, Shraeder on Frogadier, wobbanut on Tynamo, Venomoth, Machop, Zigzagoon, Graveler, Starly, and Wingull, Laurelai on Miltank and Porygon, SkyMew on Mewtwo, maldoror on Tauros, Druddigon x2, Zweilous, Graveler, Geodude, Shelmet, Gastly, Jynx, Munchlax, Mareep, and Baltoy, jrmftw on Houndour, Nidorino, and Roggenrola, Cyberra on Electrike, Skarmory, Spoink, Feebas, Latios, and Mankey (sorry about the Regirock though, good luck on the reclaim!), Tsukuyomi56 on Espurr, Tagi on Slugma, pokefreak2014 on Spiritomb, Hokker on Psyduck x2 and Wailmer, eiger on Scyther, Azelf, and Cobalion, Phillies on Duskull, Chimecho, Sealeo, Drowzee, Yanma x2, Nosepass x2, Houndour, Wingull x10, Mareep x2, Tauros, Nidoran M x7, Stunky, and Nidoran F, Diego24 on Wurmple, Aesnath on Groudon and Rayquaza, MightyImitation on Mew, Arceus, and Buizel, LucarioMan101 on Whismur and Regirock, TheEmeraldKnight on Chinchou, Cpchris on Altaria x2, Absol, Bibarel, and Onix, SmartD on Ponyta and Charmeleon, AquaRegisteel on Cascoon, Zenn of Ascension on Treecko (sorry about the trolly Pooches though), JohnNiles on Golbat, Heatran, and Bibarel, Samayouru on Chikorita, Paraqua on Litleo, Duskull, and Exeggcute, jellywolffy on Mareep and Munna, TheMaster327 on Venipede, Mash on Cresselia, AwesomeEric on Espurr and Snivy, Schade on Roselia and Phantump, CharlieDoryRose on Lugia, Kansas_Rocks! on Treecko, Sulfurian on Zapdos, TheBuckeye11 on Seedot and Zigzagoon, TheGOAT on Chikorita, and anyone else I may have missed on your shinies!

Thanks to Cpchris, yoshi007, and Paraqua for the congrats!

Wow this was unexpected. So after not having been able to hunt much over the last two weeks (thanks school -_-), I had just a little bit of time to hunt last night while watching Modern Family with my parents. I decided on a complete whim to pick up my X version and MM for Rotom - something I haven't done in over 6 months. But just a few minutes after finishing the episode, on the 18th egg, I hatched a shiny Rotom! This is my 3rd shortest MM ever (my Feebas and Pidgey took 1 and 6 eggs respectively), and I'm still honestly in shock over it. It's been forever since I got a hunt that was actually nice to me lol. I named Rotom Kenmore, and it has a Modest nature and perfect IVs in all but Defense. Gonna make it into the most fearsome washing machine ever. XD

My other targets continue to be stubborn. Vulpix is at 4200 REs, Route 111 is at 8700 REs, and Volcarona is at 7500 SRs. I've now gone over twice the odds in Omega Ruby for the second hunt in a row, and I've done more encounters for Volcarona than all of my other shinies on my White 2 BQ combined. I don't know when I'll have enough time to focus on those hunts for the next couple of months, but I hope I find something when I do. So cannot wait to be done with my degree and take back my weekends...

Good luck to all of you on your hunts!

Phillies

Congratulations to everyone who managed to catch new shinies this week.

It was a good week for me. I finally managed to catch a shiny Starly after 3 weeks. I caught the following pokemon before it shown though. 5 Nidoran♂, 11 Stunky, Nidoran♀ & Starly. I also managed to catch a Illumise & Wingull.

Good luck to everyone.

Boulderash

Remorseless Wanderer
I usually only mm for competitive shinies. I've hatched 3 shiny beldum in my hunt for a shiny metagross, and the third one was viable. I also hatched 2 shiny gastly(this was more of a revenge shiny as the first wild shiny I saw was a gastly in gen 2 that wouldn't stay caught) with the second one only missing 3 ivs in defense. My next project is getting a perfect 5IV shiny HA Dratini with e-speed or shiny 5IV scyther.

LilyValley

Useless Sceptile
I've been putting off my Azelf hunt and picking it up after a little bit, but now I was able to catch Shiny Azelf, and so I have the whole shiny lake trio. Synchronize worked, Jolly with perfect Attack, Defense and Special Defense. If you have all three you can get Palkia, so I'm going to do that, and it's my first hunt that requires soaring. I may not post until I find it, so I'll see you all once I have news.

Silver Bolt

Undying flames
I've never been a big fan of shinies, but I always wanted a shiny Arcanine since he's my favorite Pokemon. Well, I decided to start breeding for one again, and I finally got my shiny Growlithe. Fairly quickly too, so I didn't have to waste too much time. It's actually a bit funny how I'm actually happy to have a shiny Pokemon now, even though I don't think I'll be transferring him to any other game. But oh well, at least I reached my goal as far as shinies go, I guess.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
-_-

Sorry everyone.......I fell sick and couldn't log in until now ._.

Anyway, since I'm feeling better now, here's all the CH options people suggested, as usual PM me with your choice. And yes, it's late, but don't worry, as usual any CH completion done before this voting, but is still done in this month, will count.

#1 April Shower

Morning Shine!

I would like to submit an idea for Aprils Community Hunt. My suggestion is an April Showers theme - hunt any Pokemon that learn Rain Dance via level up

Thanks!

#2 Triple Weather Zone

pokemon that learn sunny day, rain dance or hail.... because that is the kind of weather i'm having right now >.<

# 3 Swimming in the rain

My idea for this month's ch: pokemon with swift swim.

TheBuckeye11

Shiny Hunter
So I was in my Pokemon X friend safaris because I had just beaten the game again and wanted to know what the friend safaris had in them, and found a random shiny Aipom. That was pretty cool and my second random shiny

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
See, I'm kind of in a grey area on this. If he had hacked to get the Mew itself (i.e. PokeGen'd it or used some sort of "All Pokemon caught are Shiny" cheat), then I would have a problem. But he didn't. True, he hacked to be able to get to the location to be able to encounter Mew, but the rest he did on his own. He saved and went through the ridiculous amount of time it takes to SR for a Shiny in Gen 3, and that to me is what counts. I'm willing to make an exception for using cheats to access an event-only area for an event that has long since past and is inaccessible without them, on a game that's several Generations old.

Yassss you get it.

------------

Not much to update on but I'm currently at 8,046 REs at Fuego Ironworks, really hoping Magmar shines first. Even tho I rarely get my target on the first phase, miracles can happen!

Gratz on the recent shinies and good luck everyone! Especially TheMaster327 on finding that stubborn Munchlax.

Poke Maniac Eddie

Embrace Eternity.
My team speaks for itself in terms of shinies. On an unrelated note, I managed to breed a 4IV Vulpix..which is currently the Ninetales on my team. For me to breed a 4IV Pokemon was..well, such a happy moment for me. XD I did however recently breed a timid, shiny Petilil. I almost didn't notice it was shiny at first.