• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Poke Maniac Eddie

Embrace Eternity.
Congratulations to:
Crimson Penguin on Latios and Rotom; Blasting Toise on Weepinbell, Meditite, Ekans, Gulpin, Koffing, Shroomish, Aron and Golbat; Supremacy on Shinx, Munchlax and Magmar; Dangertrout on Happiny; Auraninja on Staryu and Clauncher; Mrs. Oreo on Carvanha and Charmander; Shraeder on Frogadier; wobbanut on Tynamo, Venomoth, Machop, Zigzagoon, Graveler, Starly and Snover; Laurelai on Miltank and Porygon; SkyMew on Mewtwo; maldoror on Chatot, Tauros, Druddigon, Zweilous, Graveler, Geodude, Shelmet, Ghastly, Jynx, Munchlax, Mareep, Baltoy, Bonsley and Cyndaquil; jrmftw on Houndour, Nidorino and Roggenrola; Cyberra on Elektrike, Skarmory, Spoink, Feebas, Latios; Tsukuyomi56 on Espurr; Tagi on Slugma; pokefreak2014 on Spiritomb; Hokker on Psyduck and Wailmer; eiger on Scyther, Azelf and Cobalion; Phillies on Duskull, Chimecho, Seel, Drowzee, Yanma, Nosepass, Houndour, Wingull, Mareep, Nidoran♂, Stunky, Tauros, Nidoran♀, Illumise and Starly; Diego24 on Wurmple; Aesnath on Groudon, Rayquaza and Mudkip; MightyImitation on Mew, Arceus and Buizel; LucarioMan101 on Whismur and Registeel; TheEmeraldKnight on Chinchou; Cpchris on Altaria, Absol, Bibarel, Onix and Lairon; SmartD on Ponyta and Charmeleon; AquaRegisteel on Cascoon; Samayouru on Chikorita; Paraqua on Litleo, Duskull, and Exeggcute; jellywolffy on Mareep and Munna; TheMaster327 on Venipede; Mash on Cresselia, AwesomeEric on Espurr and Snivy; Schade on Roselia and Phantump; CharlieDoryRose on Lugia, Doduo, Kirlia and Mawile; Kansas_Rocks! on Treecko; Zenn of Ascension on Treecko; Sulfurian on Zapdos; TheBuckeye11 on Seedot, Zigzagoon, Aipom and Wartortle; TheGOAT on Chikorita; Boulderash on Beldum and Ghastly; LilyValley on Azelf; Silver Bolt on Growlithe; Poke Maniac Eddie on Vulpix and Tyrogue; PokeAmi on Swellow and Spinda; and JohnNiles on Regice!

---

I don't remember when I actually started hunting her, but after about 4500 run aways Latias has shone!

[img300]http://i.imgur.com/bVpebzT.jpg[/img300]

Timid sync worked and she's got perfect IVs in defense, special attack and speed so I'm pretty happy =D

Also I hatched a second Cottonee, which I thought I'd posted about but apparently not. Here he is as a Whimsicott:

[img300]http://i.imgur.com/jGp7PDk.jpg[/img300]

Right now I'm working on finishing a hunt for a shiny male Zubat that I started a good while back which is at 750 eggs hatched, so hopefully that shines soon. Also thinking about SRing Reshiram but I need more premier balls first.

Good luck to everyone with their hunts!

Dang! You got super lucky with that Latias! Nice IV's AND Shiny? Well done!

TheBuckeye11

Shiny Hunter
Caught a shiny Fletchinder in FS after about 10 minutes so it's good to see my shiny luck hasn't completely died.

Alatar VGC

House Greyjoy
Congratulations to all those who have had their shinies come through! And best of luck to all those hunting.

So. I've not done any MM'ing lately. Or any breeding tbh. But after reflection. I'm going to try and MM Swampert! I had a shiny Mudkip from HeartGold. But it got lost due to unfortunate circumstances. So will go and try to MM one now :)

LilyValley

Useless Sceptile
That didn't take long. After a couple of days (and one regular Wingull) I was able to catch Shiny Palkia. Synchronize has been doing wonders for me lately. Timid, with perfect HP, Defense and Special Defense. I will try to hatch a shiny Totodile after I'm done EV training some of my Pokémon, which should be soon.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
So I decided to hunt at Iron Island for my BQ using Riley for dem double encounters and then I noticed how risky this hunt is.. My target is Steelix so I'll be magnet pulling but there are numerous ways this can fail. First of all, Riley's Lucario.. I would have to take care of it first, to do that I would have to waste a turn switching Magnemite out giving his Lucario the chance to attack the potential shiny. If I get a shiny Graverler in this type of situation then there's a good chance I'll fail it since it doesn't take Lucario's Force Palms that well at all and Lucario could finish it off with priority Quick Attack before I could even attack it. A shiny Steelix in this circumstance wouldn't be so bad since it take atleast 2 Force Palms from Lucario unless it crits. The problem with Steelix is that it carries Dragonbreath which has a pretty good chance to paralyze which can easily spell doom for me. Then there's Golbats Confuse Ray and Gravelers Explosion. Ugh, this wouldn't be as bad if I could just lead with a fainted magnet pull lead but Riley heals your Pokemon after every encounter... So... this could actually be my first shiny fail since I've begun hunting (excluding Safari Zone shinies) but I guess I gotta risk it for the biscuit!

Also, if anyone knows a way to make this hunt easier I'm all ears, I have a tendency to overlook/miss things so yeah lol

Gratz on the recent shinies and good luck everyone! :]

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Any of you who haven't vote for this month's CH, you still can do so :)

I'll check again next morning and announce the result, so we can start a CH on the 16th.

The choices are:

#1 April Shower

Morning Shine!

I would like to submit an idea for Aprils Community Hunt. My suggestion is an April Showers theme - hunt any Pokemon that learn Rain Dance via level up

Thanks!

#2 Triple Weather Zone

pokemon that learn sunny day, rain dance or hail.... because that is the kind of weather i'm having right now >.<

# 3 Swimming in the rain

My idea for this month's ch: pokemon with swift swim.

By the way, I caught two new shinies just recently :D

[img139]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/elgyem1_zpstcaea6p3.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/elgyem2_zpsciktuhcl.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/elgyem3_zpsqzu8xpal.jpg[/img139]

[img139]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/spinda1_zpsjaf8aj6l.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/spinda2_zpsziwdk57g.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/spinda3_zpsqk5pf69d.jpg[/img139]

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to JohnNiles on Regice, Supremacy on Magmar, ClipOwl on Latias and Cottonee, pokemon trainer mystery on Vulpix, LilyValley on Palkia, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks for the congrats, Supremacy (yeah, my Black 2 luck did a 180!) and ClipOwl :)

-----------

So, uh. I got a new car today. Bye money! Spent a couple hours at the dealership finalizing everything, then came home and started putting things back in my car as well as getting used to all these fancy new controls. It left me with no time to hunt this afternoon, so now that I’m home from work, I figured I had time to do 100 REs and then I’d head back to work for a drink. And of course, I figured that meant no shiny today…WRONG.

After a mere 211 REs, and on the 11th RE of the night, a second shiny Onix appeared!

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/DeXXT0M.jpg[/IMG200]

I was watching a video when I looked down as it was appearing and couldn’t even believe it. Seriously, my luck on this game has just totally flipped around entirely! Best of all, even though my original target from here was just the Lairon, the Lv. 57 repel trick I just started doing after finding my first Onix was in the hopes that I’d get a second Onix to complete the line.

Not sure if I want to do a Lv. 57 Repel Trick now or a Lv. 55…Sadly, I think a Lv. 57 will give me the best chance to get a Nosepass, so I’ll have to hope I don’t get any useless duplicate Onix.

Also, this is the fastest I’ve completed an evolution line before, both in terms of days and REs, being 1,581 REs and 8 days. Previously it was Growlithe (4k REs and 12 days).

Good luck, everyone (especially Crimson Penguin, Zenn of Ascension, LucarioMan101, G-Money, Martinzqx, CharlieDoryRose, umbreonfan3636, Keane, SheroGH, ChaoticInverse, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

LucarioMan101

HGSS ftw!!!!!!
FINALLY THE CREATOR OF CONTINENTS TURNS GREEN :D :D :D

8VNGyuQ.jpg

God, this took forever. I technically started hunting this back in September when I got Shiny Kyogre (after less than 500 SRs, so the long hunt for Groudon was probably warranted...) but I seriously got into resetting for Groudon at the beginning of February so this has been over a two month endeavor. I was shocked to see it come across my screen this morning. I always thought it was yellow as a shiny so I enjoyed a double surprise at discovering it's more lime-green. The battle had the potential to be annoying/terrifying as Groudon got a critical hit early on on my +4 Atk Smeargle— and then used Rest— thus forcing me to revive Smeargle so I could whiddle it down with False Swipe again. However, thank god for Heavy Balls because I only needed to put Groudon asleep and get it down to about 70% for my second one to work!

4VpAJ1y.jpg

My Relaxed synchronizer worked as well, which is awesome, but it's IVs are awful; 8/24/0/2/24/20—0 in the stat I synced for lol. However, I really don't care because this is such an awesome and much desired shiny. It's over-world and in-game sprites make me so happy!!!!!!

WIWEfZ3.jpg

Rmq3NGp.jpg

e1Db2Hm.jpg

Now that I have Groudon and Kyogre, the only other two legendaries I need that can't be obtained in 6th gen are Rayquaza and Mewtwo. But I already have a couple shiny Rays from the event that happened last August, so I don't think I really want one from 4th gen (or at least I don't think I want to spend my time in that way), so I think I'll be moving onto Mewtwo, after I figure out the proper strategy for catching it because I've heard it can be quite a menace. For now, I'm just excited that this long hunt is over :D

Congratulations on everyone's recent shinies, especially Cpchris for Altaria(s), Lairon and Onix, Supremacy for Shinx (finally!), Munchlax, and Magmar, and LilyValley for Palkia. Good luck to everyone hunting!

TheMaster327

Took a while, but finally got this at 261 DexNavs!

[img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgLzB0xWQAATiBQ.jpg[/img139]

Shiny Growlithe! Ended up being a Relaxed nature with IVs: 31 / 8, 9 / 31 / 31 / 24 / 30. Overall fairly decent, but for the Speed loss because of nature.

Munchlax has still yet to appear on a Honey tree. I've nearly gone through the 100 Honey I bought, so I'll have to get more tomorrow.

Congrats to all others who've found sparkles, and good luck to those on stubborn hunts! :)

ClipOwl

Fell off a boat
Congratulations to pokemon trainer mystery on Vulpix and Feebas, TheBuckeye11 on Fletchinder, LilyValley on Palkia, Cpchris on Onix (Been very lucky recently, haven't you), LucarioMan101 on Groudon, and TheMaster327 on Growlithe!

Dang! You got super lucky with that Latias! Nice IV's AND Shiny? Well done!

Thanks! I'm just hoping I can have the same sort of luck for the rest of the legendaries I need to catch.

So I decided to hunt at Iron Island for my BQ using Riley for dem double encounters and then I noticed how risky this hunt is.. My target is Steelix so I'll be magnet pulling but there are numerous ways this can fail. First of all, Riley's Lucario.. I would have to take care of it first, to do that I would have to waste a turn switching Magnemite out giving his Lucario the chance to attack the potential shiny. If I get a shiny Graverler in this type of situation then there's a good chance I'll fail it since it doesn't take Lucario's Force Palms that well at all and Lucario could finish it off with priority Quick Attack before I could even attack it. A shiny Steelix in this circumstance wouldn't be so bad since it take atleast 2 Force Palms from Lucario unless it crits. The problem with Steelix is that it carries Dragonbreath which has a pretty good chance to paralyze which can easily spell doom for me. Then there's Golbats Confuse Ray and Gravelers Explosion. Ugh, this wouldn't be as bad if I could just lead with a fainted magnet pull lead but Riley heals your Pokemon after every encounter... So... this could actually be my first shiny fail since I've begun hunting (excluding Safari Zone shinies) but I guess I gotta risk it for the biscuit!

Also, if anyone knows a way to make this hunt easier I'm all ears, I have a tendency to overlook/miss things so yeah lol

Gratz on the recent shinies and good luck everyone! :]

Honestly the only thing I can think of is to train up the Magnemite so that it can take out his Lucario. Then once that's done with you can switch without fear of your shiny fainting.

---

After 1041 eggs a green Zubat hatched:

[img300]http://i.imgur.com/UYMW7ZQ.jpg[/img300]
(Not even going to try for a decent picture with all that flapping)

Male like I wanted, with a jolly nature, a spread of 31/31/31/x/31/31, aaaaaand Inner Focus instead of Infiltrator :c
I'm happy he hatched and with that spread I'm definitely going to train and evolve him, but having the wrong ability's going to hurt his competitive viability... I'm torn now on whether or not I should keep going to try for one with infiltrator. Thinking I might put it to the side for now while I figure that out, and choose a new MM target.

Anyway, good luck to everyone in their hunts

LilyValley

Useless Sceptile
I had to prepare for the stats to eventually get a good shiny Totodile, so I got that out of the way and on the 208th egg I found shiny Totodile. This is also my 100th shiny, and a perfect 5IV no less! The IVs are indeed 31/31/31/x/31/31, the nature is Jolly. Male with Sheer Force, the hidden ability. I didn't think I'd get this one within one day, and I don't have plans for what's next. I have an Axew, Pidgey, Ponyta and Larvitar so those are possible, but I could also try finding a Fletchling or Drilbur.

Paraqua

Beginning Trainer
Congrats to LilyValley with Palkia and Totodile, Shine with Elgyem and Spinda, Cpchris with Onix, LucarioMan101 with Groudon, TheMaster327 with Growlithe and to ClipOwl with Zubat.

I've been doing some Dex-naving on Alpha Sapphire this weekend, which yielded 3 shiny's.

The first one was a Tangela that showed up after just a couple of encounters. It's a male (nicknamed Cro-Magnon, because of it's evolution's cave man-like appearance), Caught at level 48, Sassy nature with perfect IV's in ATK, DEF, and Sp. DEF, has the ability Chlorophyll and knows the moves Rage Powder, Tickle, Wring Out and Grassy Terrain.

The second one was a Wurmple which took longer but still within a couple of dozen Dex-nav encounters. It's a female (nicknamed Gwen), Caught at level 16, Bashful nature with perfect IV's in ATK, DEF and Sp. DEF, has the ability Shield Dust, has a Bright Powder and knows the moves Tackle, String Shot, Poison Sting and Bug Bite.

The third one was a Stantler which took a few hours to find with the Dex-nav. It's a male (nicknamed Nara, after the Japanese town that is famous for it's deer), Caught at level 50, Gentle nature with perfect IV's in DEF, Sp. ATK and Speed, has the abillity Sap Sipper and knows the moves Disable, Jump Kick, Imprison and Captivate.

Good luck to all future shinies.

Twilit Dragoon

*omnious thunderstorm*
Damn, I haven't been here in forever, my last post was back in January for goodness sake. I haven't been shiny hunting all that much since my last post. Between waiting for a game I wanted to play for ages to come out(Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth!), work being crazy and health issues, shiny hunting wasn't on my priority list.

The past couple weeks I started to slowly get back into shiny hunting. I accidentally saved when I was SRing for shiny Kabuto in my Japanese LeafGreen(I was sick and wasn't paying attention to what I was doing) so that hunt sits at 3505 SRs. I started SRing for a shiny Eevee shortly after my failure, that hunt is currently stalled at 3800 SRs.

I started up my Black 2 Badge Quest, using the repel trick to get a shiny Aron/Axew. I've been hunting for this since I got my shiny Mandibuzz back on October 6th, 2014. I got a new 3DSXL, so I decided to see if it would be lucky and finally end this hunt. Yesterday morning, after only 30 repels used:

[img139]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t237/Storm_Dragoon/b2w2shinies/IMG_0619_zpslwjjyp87.jpg[/img139]

A shiny Axew showed up :D. After nearly 2 years of searching, I finally finished one of my longest shiny hunts. I didn't realize what happened until I saw the sparkles and heard the shiny noise. Put her to sleep with Hypnosis, then snagged her in the very first Dusk Ball I threw.

Closeup of shiny Axew
Nickname screen
Gentle nature

This shiny hunt has been one of the longest hunts I've had in this Badge Quest. I used 2558 repels before I got my shiny Axew. If I calculate the average amount of Pokemon per repel:

2558 repels x 6 Pokemon per repel = 15348 total Pokemon

This isn't my longest shiny hunt by total Pokemon, it's my longest hunt timewise. I put in over 700 hours into this shiny hunt, so I'm glad that it is DONE.

I've since named my shiny Axew Toothless, and now she's an awesome shiny Haxorus:

[img139]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t237/Storm_Dragoon/b2w2shinies/IMG_0634_zpsyuxy6hu0.jpg[/img139]

Not sure what my next Badge Quest Pokemon is. I might SR for a shiny Terrakion or a Virizion, but that isn't set in stone. I'll probably focus on my Japanese LeafGreen Badge Quest and finish up Eevee. Right now though I'm training my team in Black 2 up to at least level 50, maybe I'll run into a random shiny while I'm at it.

Congrats to Bumblebee5253, Drummerdude, Paraqua, Draknir, A_wild_CHARIZARD, Acdog, Cpchris, Hokker, the ash man83, Yovanee, tonyg44x, wobbanut, oarfish, taufik386, FairyWitch, Supremacy, TVDex, shadowF, SmeargleRocks, Flo, Akko, Dragalge, TheMaster327, umbreonfan3636, SheroGH, Laurelai, Maiq, Birds of Paradise, LucarioMan101, Echo Nacyl, Missingno. Master, Legendluke25, Lexya428, Y-Pestis, Demonslayer492, PKMN Trainer Gary, Tagi, Typhlox, CharlieDoryRose, Italianbaptist, shinycharizard06, shiny_hunter5, LilyValley, Mrs. Oreo, Cyclone, Team Volt Grunt, Doomdour, Fleckihund, WhiteBlair, Kanethedragon, Crabthuluhu, ClipOwl, Regi_Rocks, Kelv, Blasting Toise, TheEliteEmpoleon, Zenn of Ascension, Ambri, Crimson Penguin, Dangertrout, Aromatic Mist, SkyMew, Tsukuyomi56, pokefreak2014, eiger, Aesnath, MightyImitation, TheEmeraldKnight, AquaRegisteel, Samayouru, Mash, AwesomeEric, Schade, maldoror, Kansas_Rocks!, Sulfurian, TheGOAT, Boulderash, Silver Bolt, Poke Maniac Eddie, JohnNiles, pokemon trainer mystery, Shine, and everyone else on their new shinies. I'm sorry if I missed you, had to go through 3 months and 20+ pages worth of posts.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member

Phillies

Congratulations to everyone on their new shinies.

I caught the following shinies this week - Illumise, Nidoran♂, Paras, Stunky & Treecko. This week I am going to try and SR for a shiny Mudkip or Torchic on AS and a Zapdos on Diamond.

Good luck to everyone this week.

TheBuckeye11

Shiny Hunter
Congratulations to everyone on their new shinies.

I caught the following shinies this week - Illumise, Nidoran♂, Paras, Stunky & Treecko. This week I am going to try and SR for a shiny Mudkip or Torchic on AS and a Zapdos on Diamond.

Good luck to everyone this week.

Wish that was my Nidoran... still no shine

tui

moon upon a stick
So I pulled another silly disappearing act, only really because as soon as I broke up for Christmas break, I... just didn't feel like hunting anymore, and haven't picked up my games since then! My username change also went through during this time (logging in was fun!) and now matches my shiny card, but I used to be Keane if anybody remembers!

Anyway, since I can't realistically catch up with congrats and good lucks from 4 months ago, here's a big blanket congratulations to anybody who has found shinies and a big thank you to those who have been wishing me luck even though I've been doing everything but hunting! I've been having a pretty hectic time - even though it's still a few months til I'm 18 and legally an adult in this country, I've been inundated with all sorts of adult things including setting up bank accounts & cards and learning how to drive as well as studying (badly) for exams that actually really, really matter x: The former seems so small but having responsibilities and having to keep scruffy bits of paper with important stuff on safe is surprisingly difficult!

Anyway, according to my notepad document, I was hunting in Route 20 on White 2, which is where I've been the past couple of days whilst catching up with the thread. I'm currently at 14,600 RES... yeah this hunt isn't being fruitful! I also had 2,300 RAs for Shaymin on... Platinum? maybe? and 6400REs for my Diamond Badge Quest at Mt. Coronet. And 30SRs (90 birds) for the Kanto bird trio in Platinum, because that's totally going to happen within the next ten years!

Anyway, I guess I can't make any promises since I cycle through my hobbies rapidly, but I would love to actually hunt for a full year and not have one or two long breaks within that timespan! Good luck to all on their hunts!

Gwabatim

Just got myself a shiny Scyther in my FireRed version, adamant nature too! Took less than 2,000 SRs (I don't count them because I hunt while watching tv. My first shiny since a Zubat in December. Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjU34UmXcrg

Still thinking of what to go for next. Might go for Porygon or even in Pattern Bush hoping for Spinarak (I got a Caterpie and a Heracross on my first two hunts here so maybe third time's the charm?)

Congrats on all recent shinies and good luck in your hunts, everyone!

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Well I finally began my shiny Azelf hunt this afternoon on Pearl version. This task will likely be super arduous in the long run, but I think shiny hunting via soft resets will be a good experience for me. I will also be doing some chain fishing for shinies on X version later tonight. :3