• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I'll be hitting 15,000 SRs for regirock before the end of the night if it doesn't shine again. This golem is really testing my resolve to see if it wants to shine again or not. I've more than doubled my SR count and the hunt continues.

Lately I've been playing Borderlands on my xbox 360 with my friends rather than shiny hunting, so my Maniac Tunnel hunt in Diamond is stalled at 9,800 REs. Not sure when I'll get back to it. I have gotten my soldier in Borderlands up to level 43, though.

Psychic

Really and truly
Hey all, been awhile! Congrats on all the recent shinies and best of luck to those hunting!

I just caught my first Alpha Sapphire shiny! I don't even have the Shiny Charm yet in that game. Basically I've just been travelling around Hoenn filling up my Pokedex, Dexnaving a ton and whatnot. I accidentally found myself on Route 113 again, and was leaving when I happened to see a hiding Skarmory holding a Metal Coat. I keep my Mightyena with Thief on me, so I figured I'd nab the item. When I started the battle and heard the great ping I shouted and nearly lost it!

I caught the Skarmory in a Premiere Ball; she's lax and likes to relax with no decent IVs, and I quite like her. Named her Shear, after my Skarmory character from an old RP. :>

~Psychic

Ambri

~Draco Rex~
Congrats to:
TheMaster327, FairyWitch, Echo Nacyl, Airid, yoshi007, ClipOwl, Crimson Penguin, Blasting Toise, Supremacy, Dangertrout, Auraninja, Mrs. Oreo, Schraeder, wobbanut, Laurelai, SkyMew, maldoror, jrmftw, Cyberra (Hope you reclaim Regirock soon!), Tsukuyomi56, Tagi, pokefreak2014, Hokker, eiger, Phillies, Diego24, Aesnath, MightyImitation, Cyberra, LucarioMan101, TheEmeraldKnight, Cpchris, SmartD, AquaRegisteel, Zenn of Ascension, Samayouru, Paraqua, jellywolffy, Mash, AwesomeEric, Schade, CharlieDoryRose, Kansas_Rocks!, Sulfurian, TheBuckeye11, TheGOAT, LilyValley, Silver Bolt, Poke Maniac Eddie, PokeAmi, JohnNiles, pokemon trainer mystery, Shine, Twilit Dragoon, Gwabatim, Psychic and anyone I might've missed on all your shinies!

Thanks to those who congratulated me on Numel ^_^. I'm currently at 740 SRs for the Story Latias in AS. Although I've turned off all battle animations to make things go as fast as possible, these SRs are just plain long. Why GF couldn't let you save after battling Team Aqua/Magma, I don't know XD. Even if you were just trying to get a good nature and IVs, it's kind of a pain to go through. Still, I'll have to put up with it and persevere!

Focusing on this hunt, and looking at 6th gen legendary hunts in general, got me thinking about Pokemon Sun and Moon in terms of shiny hunting. So as a fun topic for discussion:

Do you think shiny odds will be increased or altered again in Sun/Moon?

Personally, I don't think they will change, as I think with Gen 6 there's already a rate where it's generally more common for shinies to be found across multiple methods, while still having challenge. If it did however, I'd expect it to affect MM, as it tends to be changed a lot more frequently.

What new methods of hunting would you like to see added, if any? (e.g things like MM, Chaining, Fishing Chaining)

It may end up staying ORAS exclusive, but since Soaring is a newly added mechanic, I think it would be kind of neat if there was a sort of DexNav type thing in the air. I'm thinking something similar to Chaining, but involving multicolour clouds or something like that XD.

How do you see in game shiny legendaries being handled- all obtainable, all restricted or somewhere in-between?

I'm going to try and be optimistic about this one, but I'm 90% sure the box legendaries at the very least will be locked, since they like to make them event exclusive at first it seems :p. I hope they at least do something similar to ORAS and have most of them obtainable though.

Just a few of my thoughts, anyway. Good luck to everyone on your hunts! ^_^

Laurelai

Congrats to everyone and their new shinies, and in particular LilyValley on your 100th shiny!

I reached that milestone last night myself and it was a twofer :) CH COMPLETE with my favoritest pokemon Lapras!! I mm'd her in about 800 eggs (and ugh Lapras eggs take a while to hatch). She has all perfect IVs except in HP, was hatched with Shell Armor ability and I used my one and only ability capsule on her because I wanted Water Absorb. Her name, Novaya was taken from a small group of islands in the Barents sea, north Russia. Verrrrry cold. Anyway, here she is, my #100!!

[img139]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m36/Laure1ai/IMG_20160418_205211.jpg_zpsgh0ybrr2.png[/img139]

After I hatched my lovely lavender lapras, I decided I'd try for a shiny competitive Torterra. Quick hunt! I got 4 perfect IVs right off the bat, and in 10 more eggs up to 5, and only 10 more eggs after that made it up to a perfect 6 IV breeder. After that, it only took me about 30 eggs for the shiny to pop *and* he has perfect IVs in all but SpATK, so that is the perfect arrangement. The name Ur is taken from an ancient supercontinent :)

[img139]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m36/Laure1ai/IMG_20160419_013354.jpg_zpsrfjwmvkw.png[/img139]

Happy hunting all!!

Even with the combo of Shiny Charm and Masuda Method, my search for a Shiny Competitive Swirlix has thus far been fruitless. I'm at 402 Swirlix now, and I'm really scared in case it hatches with Sweet Veil instead of Unburden :X Though if it does, I'll just be fine with a shiny Slurpuff, it's something I've wanted for a while.

Zenn of Ascension

Had plenty of time to hunt this past week and after 10,135 RE, I found the next pokemon for my Ruby Badge Quest a shiny Aron.

Encounter

Summary

Really happy I got Aron, one of my targets, instead of the possible Zubat since I already have a Zubat on third gen and I really didn't want another one. I decided that I'll hunt for Gulpin/Electrike/Minun/Plusle on Route 110 specifically Gulpin. Hopefully, I'll get one of them to shine under odds this time. Thankfully, encounters in third gen are really fast.
Congrats to everyone who got a shiny recently and good luck to everyone hunting.

LilyValley

Useless Sceptile
I keep progressing at a fast pace-last night I began hatching Electrike and I got a shiny one at 234 eggs today. Male, Timid with Static and the IVs are 31/x/31/x/31/31. My usual Pokémon with 4 perfect IVs can get either "outstanding", the best description, or "relatively superior", a little lower. I was told the latter by the IV Judge, but it's better than 3 IVs or less, as with previous hatching experiences.

umbreonfan3636

Had plenty of time to hunt this past week and after 10,135 RE, I found the next pokemon for my Ruby Badge Quest a shiny Aron.

Jeeze, I'm super jealous of you right now haha (Congrats!). I'm working on over 150 hours in Granite Cave in my Ruby (with only Abra after ~74 hours to show for it). I'm honestly starting to get a bit frustrated with my hunts. I'm probably 3x the odds in Ruby, Platinum on Route 217 is right around 8,000, and my SRs in Fire Red are only at around 400. Still, Ruby is really giving me a run for my patience.

Congrats to all of you (especially cpchris, Supremacy (I told you that you'd catch up to me on that Platinum BQ =/, and Twilit Dragoon)! And good luck!

pokemon trainer mystery

This little piece of perfection decided to shine after around 20 boxes despite only one parent having 5 31 ivs and the other having 1 it inherited all but hp which is fine by me. This makes up for the adamant one I dexnaved by mistake with a adamant nature.

Since I've passed the 512 mark and 1/512 is the chance for a Shiny with MM + Shiny Charm, I decided to give an update. Still no shiny, but I'm now breeding Swirlix with another Swirlix. Both have 5IVs (31/31/31/X/31/31) which I'm really stoked about. All I need is the shiny to hatch with Unburden and viva la Competitive Cocco Cotton Candoge!

But I guess I'm also using this as an excuse to congratulate everyone on their recent shinies! ^_^

Jonah White

Shiny Hunter/Trainer
First off, Congratulations to everyone on their shiny successes and, for those of you still hunting, may the shine be with you!

Woof! I haven't posted here in years! But anyway, today I thought I'd pick up pokemon again and have a little fun chaining for a shiny Flabébé using the Pokeradar.
Sooooo, after a chain of 40 I ended up succeeding in finding a shiny patch and low and behold! It was a WHITE shiny Flabébé!
I've been told that white is the rarest colour (I might be wrong) so I am pretty pleased with my 'extra' rare shiny Flabébé, hehe.

Anyway, good luck to you all on your hunts!

Last edited:

maldoror

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck on your ongoing hunts!

Two more starters have shined for me via MM: Chimchar and Turtwig! That leaves Piplup and Oshawott as the final starters I need to have completed all generations. I am currently working on Piplup and hope it shines quickly. I have to admit, I am not a fan of Piplup's gen VI sprite; its head seems way to big or something.

I tried to move my shiny Bayleaf up from my SS game and realized I made a mistake by giving it cut. Now I cannot transfer it up until Blackthorn City where the move deleter is. I may just try to MM one in gen VI and leave my original on SS. I haven't decided yet.

I have been hunting Snorunt in Shoal Cave on OR for two weeks now with no luck. It is funny that I have successfully MM'd 6 Pokemon in that same time, but nothing on OR (with the shiny charm).

Phillies

I just had the the most amazing luck. I started the week wanting to dual hunt for a Zapdos in HG and Torchic & Mudkip in AS. About 1 1/2 hours ago I managed to get a shiny Mudkip. I decided to restart the game and go for the Torchic. About 20 minutes ago the Zapdos finally shone and on my next reset the Torchic also shone. How crazy is that.

Good luck to everyone.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I finally got to add another caught pokemon to my shiny Rocketdex list. :)

While doing a quad hunt last night, I was searching on Y by Route 16 south, and got exactly what I was hoping for: a female shiny pumpkaboo. :) Now I just need another female shiny pumpkaboo to evolve to gourgeist for my Rocketdex, but I'll go back to the route later, I'm going another round with the mareep first.

Still remember encountering my first shiny, was my second go through with Pokemon silver. Was at the very last 20 steps of victory road before a shiny golbat appeared. Had no idea it was a shiny pokemon for a few months until my friend saw it in my inbox! Caught it cause I thought it was a glitch!

Jonah White

Shiny Hunter/Trainer
-UPDATE FROM RECENT POST-

Welp! Shiny Pikachu is my second shiny for today! After a chain of only 24 a surprise shiny patch appeared! I feel like it was a long time coming though, haha,
as I messed up 2 chains this week (one of 60 and one of 40) trying to get this pokemon.
Anyway, congrats to everyone on their shiny successes and for those of you
who are still hunting...

May the shine be with you!

Last edited:

Zenn of Ascension

Holy crap. Just got my next shiny in my Ruby Badge Quest, a shiny Electrike, after only 1,082 RE.

Encounter

Summary

Honestly was not expecting anything to shine this quickly, but I'm not complaining! Unfortunately it wasn't the Gulpin that I wanted, but it was my second pick in the route which is nice. I might go back for Gulpin another time. Defeated Wattson, which was pretty hard with this team, and moved over to Route 114 for Zangoose. It would be pretty funny if I got another 1% shiny Surskit here lol, but I really want Zangoose because it's a blue shiny. Congrats on the shinies everyone has gotten in the past two days and good luck on everyone's hunts especially umbreonfan3636 for that shiny Aron.

Edit: MY GOD. I was hunting on Route 114 for a Zangoose, but the Minun I was using was being out sped by Zangooses every now and then, so I couldn't run away which meant Minun kept fainting. So I decided to go catch a Poochyena back on Route 102 so I could use his Runaway ability, and on my way back I encountered a random shiny Zigzagoon.

Encounter

Summary

First random shiny I've gotten in years which is really exciting. Really wish it a Shroomish or a Slakoth since I was in Petalburg Woods, but a shiny is a shiny. This was only 400ish encounters after my Electrike I got earlier today which was already a fast hunt! Don't think I'll count this towards the Badge Quest, but he's definitely going on the team. This makes the second shiny today and the third in 2 days. My luck is amazing right now. This game has been good to me so far I hope it can keep this up.

Last edited:

TheMaster327

Well, that took longer than I expected... 771 eggs...

[img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgmXd4HWsAEtel6.jpg[/img139]

Shiny Wynaut! He's male, Quiet and is 5IV missing Sp. Atk. Not that the nature matters as ANY nature will do for Wobby lol!

Paraqua

Beginning Trainer
Congrats to all recent shinies.

Last tuesday I caught a shiny Absol with the help of Dex-naving at level 28. It's a male which I nicknamed Diablo, is Naive nature, has perfect IV's in HP and DEF with the ability Super Luck. Diablo knows the following moves: Bite, Double Team, Slash and Swords Dance.

And after 116 eggs, I hatched a shiny Onix. It's a female which I nicknamed Kaa (In celebration of the new Jungle Book movie), is Careful nature through Everstone, has 5 perfect IV's (Only missing ATK), has the ability Rock Head and knows the moves Tackle, Harden, Bind and Block.

Good luck to all future shinies

tui

moon upon a stick
Congrats to: Gwabatim on Scyther, Psychic on Skarmory, Laurelai on Lapras and Turtwig, Zenn of Ascension on Aron, Electrike and Zigzagoon (insane luck right there, jealous of Electrike especially!), LilyValley on Electrike, pokemon trainer mystery on Feebas, Jonah White on Flabebe and Pikachu, maldoror on Turtwig and Chimchar, Phillies on Mudkip, Zapdos and Torchic (you got some brilliant luck getting those three in a row!), wobbanut on Pumpkaboo, SupaNerdRyan on Golbat, TheMaster327 on Wynaut, Paraqua on Absol and Onix, and to anybody else that I missed!

Do you think shiny odds will be increased or altered again in Sun/Moon?
Meh, I'm kind of ambivalent towards the new pokemon games since it's most likely I won't get them because I really don't like how the 3d models look, but I imagine they'll find an even easier way for people to get shinies since that seems to be the general trend. But the only thing I'm excited about is seeing the new pokemon being revealed, not the actual games themselves, because I'm a bitter old luddite when it comes to pokemon.

What new methods of hunting would you like to see added, if any? (e.g things like MM, Chaining, Fishing Chaining)
I kinda think that's there's plenty already - I mean, you can nearly get every single pokemon shiny whilst utilising the lower-odds methods gen 6 implemented (+ chaining in gen 4) so there's not much point in Nintendo implementing any more methods, but they might do just for fun.

How do you see in game shiny legendaries being handled- all obtainable, all restricted or somewhere in-between?
All obtainable - I honestly don't see the point in shiny locks except for the purposes of spoiling people's fun, grrrr.

I have good and surprising news! I've been chipping away at Route 20 for the past few days and that now sits at 17,200 REs, however tonight I decided to switch to Shaymin RAs. I was just catching up with all my youtube subscriptions to shiny hunters and trying to remember what shiny Shaymin looks like so that I don't miss it or do something daft, when the real thing came flying across my screen just 88 REs into the session, bringing the total RAs to 2,388! I've never been thinking so hard about getting a shiny moments before I actually get one, so I was absolutely estatic. Shaymin is one of my dream shinies AND my first (caught) shiny legendary (*cough*lostRegisteel*cough*) so it's a nice little milestone for me.
Now, pictures!
[img139]http://i.imgur.com/YK4IkxW.jpg?2[/img139]
[img139]http://i.imgur.com/rXQizTC.jpg?1[/img139]
[img139]http://i.imgur.com/6P55KhC.jpg?1[/img139]
I named them Aeolia, after Aeolian mode and because it has a nice ring to it. These pictures don't do the shiny much justice, but I promise it's so good in person - the little bright lime pips in the turquoise really pop ;o; I wanted to make them transform into sky forme so I could photograph that, but nighttime means that it's a no go, so I'll have those pictures next time I post. I also completely forgot to check it's IVs, but it's nature is Brave (I also took a picture of the wrong summary screen, you can tell I've been away for a while!) and brave on a sky forme Shaymin kinda sucks, haha. Plus I don't have the slightest clue what I'm going to hunt on Platinum next!

Anyway, good luck everybody with their hunts, especially umbreonfan3636!

Last edited: