• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Archsage

Shiny Hunting!
Finally! After searching on and off for months, I finally fished up the shiny Shellder I've been wanting! I caught him on a chain of only eleven, and I caught him with a critical capture in the first Premier Ball I threw. It's a lot more orange in X/Y than the red I was expecting from looking at the third gen sprite, but I'm quite happy with it.

Also caught a shiny Basculin when fishing outside of the Frost Cavern, on a chain of 37! She gave me a fight to catch her, but I eventually got her in a Premier Ball. I'm going for Poliwag next.

Last edited:

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Route 121 in ORAS is quickly becoming my hotspot for shiny Pokémon when I encountered not one, but two shiny Shuppet through the DexNav (one in Omega Ruby and another in Alpha Sapphire), both were caught with one Quick Ball.

Congrats to anyone who has caught a shiny and good luck to those still hunting!

jean010

Shiny Hunter
First of all congrats on everyone for their shinies, specially Sabre_King (It's truly awesome to get the shiny with the ability you wanted), Laurelai (thank you, and I love that trio!) and Archsage on Shellder

It looks like my luck with MM has gotten both better and worse. After only 257 eggs my Shiny Snivy appeared! Sadly no Contrary though, and since this isn't the anime I can't make Overgrow look cool. Timid nature with 31/31/X/31/31/31 Ivs spread

Does this mean I completed the CH since Snivy does learn Leach Seed? I would love to post a picture of him but the site doesn't let me right now

Well now I want to take a break from worrying about abilities so I decided to hunt for a Bagon now, since both Moxie and Intimidate are cool for Salamance

Good luck for everyone on their hunts!

PD: Seriously what's with shiny-locking everything in X/Y? Now I can't hunt for any shiny legendary until I get ORAS...

Last edited:

Archsage

Shiny Hunting!
Caught my shiny Poliwag just now, on a chain of 73! I thought it was pink for some reason, so seeing sparkles with that icy blue really surprised me. I'm thinking now I'm going to try to get every fishing shiny, since I haven't wanted to MM for a while and I'm terrible at using the radar.

Edit: That was fast! I decided to take Blue-Striped Basculin off the list, since I caught a Red-Striped one yesterday, and one popped up after a chain of only 2!

Congrats to Tsukuyomi56 on those Shuppet, and to jean010 on that Snivy! Shame it doesn't have Contrary, though. Good luck to everyone hunting!

Last edited:

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Not much to show for shiny hunting this week, but I did get a fresh shiny on White 2, a shiny solrock. :)

I'll try hunting in that one cave and the grassy area out back of the cave in White 2 for a while since I can find delibird there, which I want for my shiny Rocketdex.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I've been working on more chain fishing in Alpha Sapphire, Omega Ruby and X version as well this week, but sadly the shiny gods have forsaken me ha ha. ^^; I did more soft resetting for my shiny Azelf hunt as well and I think I'm about to cross the 2,000 soft reset mark hee hee, but I'll put even more effort on this hunt this coming weekend.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Currently Masuda Methoding for my favorite Pokemon, Solosis. At 170 eggs and on my next batch of 35!

On my SBQ I am Horde Hunting for Zubat/Aron/Sableye in Granite Cave. Hoping for Aron the most, but will definitely settle for Sableye. Hoping I don't get Zubat. I like Crobat, but I already have a flying type and a poison type. :/

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Congrats to everyone on their new shinies! :)

It took forever, but I finally ran into a shiny Ariados. I tried one last trick, the take a picture by Phil one and then pay him a 1,000 poké-dollar tip. It seemed to work. It's a female one and I named her Mefitas, after the Roman goddess of poisonous vapors from the earth.

Last edited:

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Congratulations to everyone with new shiny pokemon. While hunting a Staryu to register in my pokedex of Omega Ruby, I came across a shiny Wailmer and I caught it quickly. Lonely nature and capable of taking hits characteristic.

Echo Nacyl

Grats on the new shinies, everyone.
Alas, the Masuda gods have forsaken me. Tropius hunt is at 2035 eggs so far.

Lor D. Chuckle

Veteran Nerd
Grats on the new shinies, everyone.
Alas, the Masuda gods have forsaken me. Tropius hunt is at 2035 eggs so far.

Funny that you are going for Tropius, I actually ran into a shiny one not that long ago. Honestly, shiny Tropius' colour scheme is "distasteful" to me, it would have been cool if the leaves were red or something, not the slightly yellow-ish version they are.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
So much for hoping raikou would shine sooner than suicune did... I'm now at 8,600 SRs for raikou and counting. Hoping I get it before I hit 10k.

Ryohei

Shiny Hunter
Accidentally ran from a shiny male Ivysaur (the one I'm hunting for). Encountered female one the next day, caught here but still hunting for the male one with HA :( About few minutes ago I caught a shiny female wartortle with Torrent, also not what I'm hunting for. :( I'm hunting for a male one with HA. Wish me luck!

Jonah White

Shiny Hunter/Trainer
First off congrats to everyone on their shinies! Especially jean010 on that impressive Snivy.

So I have the day off today and I decided to challenge myself to catch another shiny Eevee.
Shiny Eevees are, in my opinion, very difficult to chain and so I set myself to the task with great apprehension.
But, to my surprise, (after an arduous 2 hours) a shiny patch appeared on a chain of only 32!
I'm gonna evolve this shiny Eevee into a Sylveon. It'll be the final addition to my shiny team that I've prepared for Sun and Moon.
Now I'm off to chain Denene for fun!

So good luck to all those still hunting and as always...

May the Shine Be With You!

Last edited:

PsychoKing47

Just been fishing on Route 19 for a Politoed when a shiny Whiscach suddenly pops up to say hello. And I wasn't even chain fishing. Thankfully it was an easy catch with a quick ball. She's female and I'm going to call her Namaza, a slight change to the giant catfish from Japanese mythology to make it seem slightly more feminine (not sure if it worked though). As for my other hunts, Hawlucha is now at 234 eggs and I've done 25 REs in a Poison FS and am up to 175 REs in my rock one, though my main focus recently has been on completing the Pokedex, so I've not done much actual hunting these past few days.

I'll update on IVs, nature and the like once that damn Politoed shows up.

EDIT: She's Calm, takes plenty of siestas and has an IV spread of 31/29,30/3,4,5/31/1,2/12,13. Two perfect IVs and one that is near perfect isn't too bad (much better than that shiny Klefki's IV spread anyway).

Last edited:

Ambri

~Draco Rex~
Congrats to:
Laurelai, Zenn of Ascension, LilyValley, pokemon trainer mystery, Jonah White, maldoror, Phillies, wobbanut, SupaNerdRyan, TheMaster327, Paraqua, tui, Cyberra, Ampharos_Spark, Ace Trainer Alex, Pokeaidan, Aesnath, ClipOwl, *Murkrow (Incredible!), Kalosian, Dragalge, Typhlosion_Hunter_Mark, Doomdour, Echo Nacyl, WishIhadaManafi5, Mrs.Oreo, gerehead, dks89, Alexander18, Aromatic Mist, Demonslayer492, Crimson Penguin, SkyMew, oarfish, TheBuckeye11, A_wild_CHARIZARD, jean010, Hokker, Draknir, Sarefan, Shiny Lord, Mienfoomaster, Earth Wolf-Howl, Ajduk, CharlieDoryRose, Spellweaver, Erron Black, PokeAmi, 955561976, Sabre_King, PsychoKing47, ChiefLucarioOfficer, Volcarocka, Lor D. Chuckle, Archsage, Tsukuyomi56, Ryohei and anyone I might've missed on your shinies!

No new shinies for me, but I'm still going on my Story Latias hunt in Alpha Sapphire (When I'm not playing Star Fox Zero and Pocket Card Jockey, that is!), and am now at 1355 SRs. If not any sooner, it would be neat to get it on or around my Birthday in June :D. I've watched probably all of the few videos there are of people getting Story Lati@s on Youtube, which has kept me motivated. Interestingly, there seem to be slightly more of Latias.

Good luck to everyone on your hunts, especially those which have gone over odds! ^_^

xSilentDeviL

Shiny Hunter
Hello everyone!

Today I was very excited as a ran into a random encounter shiny for the first time in ORAS! I was just going through different Mirage spots and visited a Mirage Mountain where I was running through the grass just to get to the other side and I ran into a Shiny Girafarig first try! I have never ran into a random encounter shiny like this before, as the only other time was running into a horde of Whismur, one of which was shiny. This one was so unexpected! I'm also now a big believer that the Mirage islands have increased shiny rates like the safari zone.