• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I repeat, has anyone ever been lucky enough to catch a shiny Chansey in the FRLG Safari Zone? Because if so, that may be a record; there's a maximum 4% chance of encountering it in the Safari, and even if you have the 1 in over 200,000 chance of seeing it its catch rate is 30.

Me, way back in the day I found a shiny Quagsire in the Pastoria Great Marsh by random. I was lucky enough to catch it. Its probably the luckiest shiny I ever got.

Jonah White

Shiny Hunter/Trainer

jean010

Shiny Hunter
I repeat, has anyone ever been lucky enough to catch a shiny Chansey in the FRLG Safari Zone? Because if so, that may be a record; there's a maximum 4% chance of encountering it in the Safari, and even if you have the 1 in over 200,000 chance of seeing it its catch rate is 30.

Me, way back in the day I found a shiny Quagsire in the Pastoria Great Marsh by random. I was lucky enough to catch it. Its probably the luckiest shiny I ever got.

I don't think so. There are videos of people finding it but it always get away.

Congratulations to everyone for your shinnies, especially Zenn of Ascension on the impressive Sudowoodo.

I tried to vary a little bit so I went hunting using other methods, namely Chain Fishing and random encounters in Friend Safari. The results were way better than I expected since I got 3 shinnies!

First was a Poliwag that shined just after a chain of 5. His nature is gentle with the Water Absorb ability. I got him in a Dive Ball

Then I went to FS. I honestly didn't think I would get much, but after a while (I didn't count the encounters) I got two. First was a shiny Pikachu, modest with 31 ivs in Def and Spe.Def and the Static ability. Got him in a Dusk Ball

Last but no least was a shiny Riolu. Hasty nature with 31 ivs in Def, Spe.Def and Speed. I got him in a Premier Ball (He got burned after hitting my Moltres so I started throwing balls like a maniac).

Since I got the Poliwag and Pikachu already it's now Aerodactyl's turn.

Good luck everyone on your hunts!

SmartD

I was playing Pokemon Alpha Sapphire looking for Shiny Pikachu in the Safari Zone. When its tail popped up and I snucked on it, it turned out to be Shiny! I had a Raichu as my leading Pokemon; I weakened it until it was in the red. I first used a Poke Ball, but it didn't work. Then I used a Nest Ball and it was caught.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Congrats to everyone on their hunts! :)

I'm working on a new one for a friend. Hunting for a shiny Dusclops. I'm looking for one as well. No luck yet though.

Giblie

Dragon Pokemon Fan
Trying to pick up my hunt for Shiny Ponyta. Started one over a year ago, but gave up. Started again a few days ago. 150 eggs hatched so far.
Really hope I get it soon. I have tried the Friend Safari, DexNav encounters, and Masuda Method for it, but not having any luck.

After Ponyta, my next target will be either Totodile or Vulpix.

Just got my first chain fishing Shiny!I was chain fishing for a Corphish that I was going to evolve into a Crawdaunt, one of my favorite Pokemon. There was a 5% chance to reel in Crawdaunt, but I figured I'd never get it. I had just almost quit for the day b/c I had idiotically broken a high chain, but I kept going. Less than ten into the chain, I got the 5% shiny Crawdaunt! I also caught it with a critical capture Dive Ball, making it one of my luckiest shinies ever!

I'm taking a little break from shiny hunting to catch up on dex completion, but I'll be back soon. Happy hunting!

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Found a Shiny Zorua after 301 Dexnav encounters on my AS. After I got the Shiny Charm!!! Nicknamed him Genji.

Also got a Shiny Vivillon for my Shiny Type hunt in the Friend Safari.(Find a Shiny in each safari type available.) Nicknamed it Idaho. Counts for my Bug type!

Just barely found a Shiny Cacturne for the Dark type. Nicknamed him Scarecrow. (It was under 50 encounters too!!!)

EDIT:

Wow my luck today!

Shiny Shuppet for my Alpha Sapphire SBQ found. Serious nature and nicknamed him Reaper!

After moving on to Dragon type safari I found a Shiny Fraxure and nicknamed him Lumberjack. Too bad he has a Calm nature. :/

EDIT:

Holy cow... Under 50 encounters again and a Shiny Emolga pops up. Can I please have this luck everyday???

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Has everyone ever had the insane luck of getting a shiny Manaphy? Since you can't do a reset for it, you have only one 1/8192 chance

BladeForge

Happy Person
Is there an item that raises the chance of finding a shiny? I think someone said something about one on this thread, but I cant remember which page...

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Is there an item that raises the chance of finding a shiny? I think someone said something about one on this thread, but I cant remember which page...

That would be the Shiny Charm which you get once you've caught all Pokemon in the National Dex excluding the Event Legendaries. It ups the chances of finding a shiny normally or by soft resetting from 1/8192 to 1/2731 (BW2) or 1/4096 to 1/1365 (XYORAS). It also increases the odds of the Masuda Method from 1/1638 to 1/1365 (BW2) or 1/1365 to 1/683 (XYORAS). No games prior to BW2 had this item.

You got the XY/ORAS numbers wrong for Masuda Method.

It's 1/683 without charm and 1/527 with the charm.

Also, I just got my last shiny for my SBQ! Shiny Carvanha!(Now a Sharpedo tho lol)

EDIT: Here's a google doc spreadsheet of Shiny Odds from 2nd gen onward. Shiny Odds.

Congrats on the Carvanha/Sharpedo :)

I got the odds I listed from Bubapedia but I wasn't sure how accurate they were. A lot of their information is accurate so I assumed that their Shiny odds were too. That spreadsheet is really helpful though, thanks for posting it.

Last edited:

BladeForge

Happy Person
That would be the Shiny Charm which you get once you've caught all Pokemon in the National Dex excluding the Event Legendaries. It ups the chances of finding a shiny normally or by soft resetting from 1/8192 to 1/2731 (BW2) or 1/4096 to 1/1365 (XYORAS). It also increases the odds of the Masuda Method from 1/1638 to 1/1365 (BW2) or 1/1365 to 1/683 (XYORAS). No games prior to BW2 had this item.

Okay, Thanks!

Erron Black

The Outlaw

You got the XY/ORAS numbers wrong for Masuda Method.

It's 1/683 without charm and 1/527 with the charm.

Also, I just got my last shiny for my SBQ! Shiny Carvanha!(Now a Sharpedo tho lol)

EDIT: Here's a google doc spreadsheet of Shiny Odds from 2nd gen onward. Shiny Odds.

Last edited:

LilyValley

Useless Sceptile
I have found a second Shiny Drilbur in 113 eggs. Male, with the hidden ability Mold Breaker, as well as Jolly and having perfect IVs in all but Special Defense. I also have not picked up my Manaphy, so now is a good time to do so. The next shiny I will try to hatch is most likely Larvitar. Good luck to everyone!

TheBuckeye11

Shiny Hunter
Going to be starting an Omega Ruby Shiny Badge Quest. RIP my pokedex though...

I was having a shiny feeling on Saturday while I was EV training some Pokemon. I was in sky pillar and came across a green Golbat. Normally I freak out and celebrate when I get a shiny.. But I really wanted an Ariados :'(

I already have 5 shiny Zubat and have found a Golbat once at Sky Pillar before but I accidentally KO'd it.

It has inner focus and a timid nature. I don't think they are ideal but oh well..

I guess a shiny is a shiny though..

PsychoKing47

After exactly 100 encounters into a Dexnav chain for Sunkern, I finally found the Shiny Sunkern that I had been looking for to become my first shiny in Omega Ruby (other than the event Beldum of course). This one was an easy capture, with one Quick Ball being all that was needed to do the job. He's a Level 66 male and I decided to call him Himawari, which is the Japanese word for sunflower. I'm going to evolve him into a Sunflora as that's the only reason I was doing this hunt to begin with. He's Timid, takes plenty of siestas and has IVs of 31/9,10,11/25,26/16,17/16,17/22,23.

No more progress has been made on my other hunts other than some more SRs for Cobalion and Terrakion as well as some for Cresselia. However, I am planning to go back onto X and resume my MM hunt for Hawlucha so I can finally get it done with and out of the way. I'm also considering Dexnav chaining for Larvesta or Misdreavus (probably both at some point), but that's assuming that Dexnav chaining actually influences shiny odds in any way.

EDIT: Just got a Shiny Aurorus over Wonder Trade, but I'm pretty sure it's hacked as I'm pretty sure you can't get one in a Dive Ball. Guess I'll try to hunt for a legit one once I finish my Hawlucha MM, but that egg cycle is going to be a nuisance.

EDIT: Got 40 more eggs done on my Hawlucha MM hunt to bring me up to 278 eggs hatched, but that shiny is still eluding me. Hopefully I'll get a shiny before going through the four or so boxes worth of eggs I still have left to hatch.

Last edited: