• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Well, I decided to start Soft Resetting for a Shiny Starter in Heart Gold. Everyone I know has done it or at least attempted it. Plus, I've never played either Heart Gold or Soul Silver, so it'd be a nice way to start the game! Still undecided if I want to turn it into a SBQ or not. I'm also back to my Latios hunt in AS, since Dexnav in the ocean was frustrating me greatly with the 3DS I am using.

Lunafloon

Shiny Hunter
Congrats on all the shinies! Especially that BEAUTIFUL Spiritomb! No individual congrats for now because I'm on mobile.

I went into a random Ice type friend safari yesterday because it was a new code and I hadn't checked it out yet, and I got a shiny Beartic on the first encounter! I've seen people with similar luck but didn't expect it to happen to me! It's female and Mild natured so pretty good! Not sure what I'll do with her but it was a nice surprise nonetheless.
Still working on Tynamo; need to update the RE's later, but I'm probably over 500 by now so doing pretty well (I think!)

Also found out my Woobat RE's! Was 6117, so under the odds but more than I remembered. I guess it just felt quick at the time?

Good luck everyone on your hunts!

WildShinyUmbreon

Got Dusk Balls? ;)
Hiya! I very recently got into shiny hunting, and I think I've had lots of luck lately! Within the past week, I've caught a shiny Riolu--a female at that!--in X with the Pokeradar, two shiny Horsea, one in X, one in Omega Ruby, both with a fishing chain, and a shiny Roselia in X--fifth in his radar chain!!!
Currently, I'm hunting Swirlix with the pokeradar in X, but since Flabebe are so PERSISTENT in keeping me from finding that first Swirlix, I'm after them. Current chain of 22, wish me luck... (update in probably an hour XD)
Update: I did it, I caught her!!! It took a REALLY long time, even after the chain of 40, but she's here! I'd share a picture, but since I'm new, I can't ^^;
Now to go for Swirlix. Wish me luck!!

Last edited:

Paraqua

Beginning Trainer
Congrats to all recent shinies

Talk about luck

Last night I was doing some horde hunting, I encountered a shiny Ralts in a horde after just 2 hordes.

It's male (Nicknamed Tenshinhan) with mild nature. Might evolve this one into a Gallade later on.

Good luck to all future shinies

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Guys, IT FINALLY HAPPENED. After a long, gruelling 24,762 SRs, my ghostie turned blue!
[img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CkyFk0QXAAEdZwA.jpg[/img139][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CkyFk0BWsAMHzTC.jpg[/img139][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CkyHcJ_WYAE5VGB.jpg[/img139]

SHINY SPIRITOMB for BQ #4! It's a Relaxed nature, which isn't too bad for it, with IVs: 12 - 15 / 12 - 15 / 16 - 19 / 23 / 16 - 19 / 6 - 9. Quite average, but decent looking Sp. Atk! And I can finally move on! Up next is a Hippo repel trick hunt using Spiritomb's Pressure, so I only have one level to play with until I get to the hunt location. Also need to catch the alphabet as well, as the Hippopotas are more common in the Ruin Maniac's Tunnel when it's fully developed (plus that's when they can be level 26!).

Congrats on all new shinies, and for those still hunting, let this be a reminder to NOT GIVE UP!!!

With the older generations' Wi-Fi disabled and you needing to meet 31 other people, how did you even get a normal DPPt Spiritomb?

NitroLightningFlash

Clauncher is DexNav only on AS.
Oh i see so even if i had fished at the right place he still wouldn't of shown. Thank you ^^
Hiya! I very recently got into shiny hunting, and I think I've had lots of luck lately! Within the past week, I've caught a shiny Riolu--a female at that!--in X with the Pokeradar, two shiny Horsea, one in X, one in Omega Ruby, both with a fishing chain, and a shiny Roselia in X--fifth in his radar chain!!!
Currently, I'm hunting Swirlix with the pokeradar in X, but since Flabebe are so PERSISTENT in keeping me from finding that first Swirlix, I'm after them. Current chain of 22, wish me luck... (update in probably an hour XD)
Update: I did it, I caught her!!! It took a REALLY long time, even after the chain of 40, but she's here! I'd share a picture, but since I'm new, I can't ^^;
Now to go for Swirlix. Wish me luck!!
Good luck! And congrats on your Flabebe! ^^
Hmm does anyone know if DexNav chains really matter or does the higher you go up in it just mean you have a better chance of getting a better/hidden ability/egg move shiny? In other words whether it's Pokemon number 1 or number 100 on your chain is it always the same shiny odds every time you encounter them?
This morning i got up early since i couldn't sleep (things are just on my mind lately...), i decided to hatch the four boxes of Trapinch eggs that i collected last night (decided i really would love a shiny Vibrava) and on egg 100 out of the bunch (actually it was egg 160 if i include the 2 boxes of Goomy eggs i did the other day), a shiny Trapinch appeared!
Shiny Trapinch:
[img139]http://orig01.deviantart.net/69a8/f/2016/166/4/0/masuda_method_shiny_trapinch__1_by_cutesylveon-da6b7qv.png[/img139]
It's Jolly (- Sp. Attack, + Speed), female AND she somehow gained all 6 IV's off her parents (my Japanese Ditto and my regular 5 IV competitive Flygon), not that she needed Sp. Attack but still xD
Characteristic is 'Alert to sounds' (Speed).
THEN only 10 eggs later (egg 110/170 including the 60 Goomy eggs), a SECOND shiny Trapinch showed up as well, so although i was going for only Vibrava, i can now also have a shiny Flygon too which is awesome!
Shiny Trapinch #2:
[img139]http://orig09.deviantart.net/41c0/f/2016/166/b/7/masuda_method_shiny_trapinch__2_by_cutesylveon-da6b7w3.png[/img139]
My second Trapinch is also Jolly (- Sp. Attack, + Speed) and a male. He only gained 5 IV's off his parents (but at least it was Sp. Attack he was missing). He reminds me of both my perfect 5 IV shiny Fennekin and my perfect 5 IV Larvesta i got such a long time ago now (where i can use my shiny's competitively if i wanted to), but he's even better since i didn't expect to get a second shiny Trapinch. He will evolve into a Flygon in the end. His characteristic is 'Somewhat vain' (which i THINK is Sp. Defense) :3
Now watch me have to go over 1,000 eggs for my next hunt to make up for this luck xD

TheMaster327

With the older generations' Wi-Fi disabled and you needing to meet 31 other people, how did you even get a normal DPPt Spiritomb?

Underground is infrared connection. All I needed was another DS and another Platinum that could go Underground. The 32 conversations can be farmed with the same person, provided you leave the Underground between each meeting.

Veens

I'm so happy! I have been MMing Vulpix for three days now, and after only 170 eggs, a shiny appeared! On top of that, it's got six perfect IV's, which makes it great for competitive.

puMHZsH.jpg

maldoror

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck on your ongoing hunts!

This morning I hatched a shiny Rotom! Timid nature (thanks to everstone) and 4 perfect IVs (missing attack and speed, which looks like it would be 17). Now on to Cottonee, which I hope shines quickly because I want to build a shiny competitive team to use at Too Many Gamers Con on the 25th.

EDIT: And that quickly, Cottonee shined! It has 5 perfect IVs (missing attack) and is timid.

Last edited:

Ryohei

Shiny Hunter
I've been getting 1 shiny every day for the past few days. So happy. Got a shiny dragonair on Saturday (which is what I was hunting for), a shiny dunsparce on sunday (was hunting for a shiny eevee), shiny shuppet yesterday (exactly what I was hunting for) and just an hour ago, I got a shiny snorunt (what I was hunting for).
Now I'm hunting for a shiny riolu. Hope I don't get another machamp or throh....

Now my self-obtained shiny count* is 100 <3
*Only those with my OT | More than one of the same species/evo line counted as 1

Now I'm hunting for a shiny riolu. Hope I don't get another machamp or throh....

WildShinyUmbreon

Got Dusk Balls? ;)
Gosh, NitroLightningFlash, Veens, and Maldoror! Think you could rub some of that MM luck off on me??? I'm trying for a shiny Charmander...
Good luck to you, Ryohei! Good luck to everyone hunting everywhere! I'm off to finish my shiny fairy team.

Update: The 39th swirlix was that beautiful, beautiful caramel cotton candy I was looking for!!! The shiny sweets team is now Taffy the Floette and Butterscotch the Swirlix!

Next up on the list: Eevee. Hoooo boy.

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Yay I finally encountered that shiny Azelf that I've been hunting on Pearl version this morning. I caught it after a long struggle and I've transferred it to Y version. I'm glad that this hunt is finally over cuz now I can focus more on other shiny hunts hee hee. By the way, I also did more chain fishing this weekend, but I didn't hook any shinies. ^^;

Alatar VGC

House Greyjoy
Congratulations to everyone on their recent shinies!

Especially to ma mate Veens! Good work!

Currently MMin' Druddigon. It's a shiny I've always wanted. <3

Anyway, best of luck to those huntin'!

Back soon! I hope :p

tonyg44x

Poke-Ballin'
First off congratz on all recent shinies!

Secondly, haven't posted in a while so figured i would. I was on quite a long drought in my Y version, around 5k eggs over a few different species with no luck.(SC+MM) Finally last momth i managed to hatch a couple of shiny squirtles with 5 max ivs, and one of them with rain dish out of only one batch of 300. No pics as it has been a few weeks since then. Right now im currently working on Regigigas in OR. On the side because of the time constraint on Regigigas, i decided to finally start my AS version so i can Sr for the legends in it. Today i started it and picked my starter,Torchic, only a few battles in i ran into a shiny zigzagoon, but to my dismay it was before i recieved pokeballs so i had no choice but to k.o. it. I was kinda angry about it but ultimately i can just breed a better one later...so on with the game.

Good luck on all hunts!

jean010

Shiny Hunter
Congrats on your shinies! Specially Mrs. Oreo on Azelf, WildShinyUmbreon on Swirlix, Riolu, Flabebe and Horsea (I suck for Pokeradar, and good luck on Eevee), TheMaster237 on the impressive Spiritomb, Echo Nacyl on Trubbish, Volcarocka on the now pink Crobat, Erron Black on Camerupt, NitroLightningFlash on Magikarp and both Trapinch, Lunafloon on Beartic and Woobat, Paraqua on Ralts, Veens on Vulpix, maldoror on Rotom, Ryohei on Dragonair, Dunsparce, Shuppet and Snorutn, and Tonyg44x on the Squirtles

I am not a big fan of Paras, but as soon as I saw the red one popping out I knew it was worth it. She hatched after 163 eggs, with 31/31/31/31/X/31 Ivs spread and the Effect Spore ability. She's also Impish natured.

Now let’s see how long it will take for another to have both Paras and Parasect in the family.

Good luck on your hunts!

NitroLightningFlash

Gosh, NitroLightningFlash, Veens, and Maldoror! Think you could rub some of that MM luck off on me??? I'm trying for a shiny Charmander...
Good luck to you, Ryohei! Good luck to everyone hunting everywhere! I'm off to finish my shiny fairy team.

Update: The 39th swirlix was that beautiful, beautiful caramel cotton candy I was looking for!!! The shiny sweets team is now Taffy the Floette and Butterscotch the Swirlix!

Next up on the list: Eevee. Hoooo boy.

*gives you some luck* congrats on your Swirlix and good luck on Eevee! :p

@jean010 thanks for the congrats ^^

Well yesterday after getting my two shiny Trapinch via Masuda Method on Alpha Sapphire, after i got home last night, i decided to go on my Omega Ruby game and continue to try to DexNav on Route 112 for a shiny Ponyta, which i'd started the previous day (but had no luck).

I got up to 160 Ponyta encounters on the DexNav and i thought 'okay if nothing shows up after 200, then i'll close the 3DS whilst during an encounter and continue from 200 tomorrow' and to my suprise, after 172 DexNav encounters a shiny Ponyta showed up!!! I was so shocked i closed the 3DS lid down (abeit carefully) as soon as she appeared and grabbed my camera phone xD

I caught her in a Dive Ball (since it goes with her shiny colour), but i was worried when i realized she had 'Take Down' and that she'd take herself out, but i caught her in 3 Dive Balls luckily. Thinking about it...technically she is in a ball for water Pokemon, how can she even be happy in there being a fire type and all?? xD

Shiny Ponyta (in all her blue flame glory x3):

[img139]http://img03.deviantart.net/7782/i/2016/166/4/6/test_by_cutesylveon-da6f8fn.jpg[/img139]

She's female, Level 32, has the egg move 'Captivate', and is a Gentle nature (- Def, + Sp. Def) which isn't great to be honest but since i only did this because i wanted a shiny Ponyta and not for competitive reasons i don't mind so much xD

Her Characteristic is 'Mischievous' (which means Sp. Attack is her highest IV), and when i checked her, she came out as having 'Relatively Superior' potential overall, with Sp. Attack as a 31 IV, though i wish it could of been Attack or Speed but i love my shiny Ponyta anyway xD

I checked her IV's and they're not too bad (except Speed), they are:

HP: 25-27
Attack: 18-19
Defense: 21-22
Sp. Attack: 31
Sp. Defense 21
Speed 10-12

Good luck on everybody's hunts! ^^

Picture doesn't seem to work i'll try and see if i can get it to sorry ^^;

EDIT: It works now had to save it as a JPG and not PNG. I wonder why, my other one was PNG yesterday ^^;

Last edited:

PhazonRain429

Pokémon collector
Well, well. My Heatran hunt was short. I probably found her within 30 soft resets, but of course the synchronizer failed yet again and she ended up being brave.

I've been both really lucky and unlucky at the same time. I still think she's beautiful though, those purple eyes are amazing. :)

Thundurus will be my next target. I wont mind another short hunt but I really hope for a successfully synchronized nature this time.

Last edited:

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
Congratulations everyone on the shinies!

Yesterday, after 703 eggs I hatched a shiny green Marill. Her name is Autumn. Outstanding potential. 5IV, missing Attack. Adamant. Sap Sipper. She's in a Dive Ball and her name is Autumn. I took some screen shots for everyone to see

[IMG200]http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah122/Lexya428/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvzouiard.jpeg[/IMG200]

[IMG200]http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah122/Lexya428/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsg0vfmgmf.jpeg[/IMG200]

[IMG200]http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah122/Lexya428/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsjwmic96h.jpeg[/IMG200]

[IMG200]http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah122/Lexya428/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpskqjry2ls.jpeg[/IMG200]

[IMG200]http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah122/Lexya428/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsduqdczwu.jpeg[/IMG200]

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats to Erron Black on Slugma, Spearow, Pumpkaboo, Swadloon, and Camerupt, Mienfoomaster on Cyndaquil, WishIhadaManafi5 on Wartortle, Forretress, and Ferroseed, Cpchris on Nosepass, Cyberra on Raikou, PhazonRain429 on Dialga and Heatran, SkyMew on Riolu, Trapinch, and Nincada, Greedy Chibi on Psyduck x2 and Zorua, Laurelai on Hawlucha (love the name btw), Volcarocka on Starly and Zubat, Lunafloon on Woobat and Beartic, Phillies on Unown G, Unown I, Dedenne x2, Galvantula, Wobbuffet, Jigglypuff, Floette, Swirlix, Totodile, and Hoothoot, Echo Nacyl on Bunnelby, Chansey, and Trubbish, jean010 on Aerodactyl and Paras, TheMaster327 on Spiritomb, Zenn of Ascension on Hypno and completing your BQ, NitroLightningFlash on Magikarp, Trapinch x2, and Ponyta, WildShinyUmbreon on Riolu, Horsea x2, Roselia, Flabebe, and Swirlix, Paraqua on Ralts, Veens on Vulpix, maldoror on Rotom and Cottonee, Ryohei on Dragonair, Dunsparce, Shuppet, and Snorunt, Mrs. Oreo on Azelf, tonyg44x on Squirtle (too bad about that Zigzagoon though), Lexya428 on Marill, and anyone else I may have missed on your shinies!

Thanks to Cpchris for the luck!

Finally, my longest-running BQ decided to yield another shiny yesterday! After 8984 REs on Route 36 in SoulSilver, a beautiful golden shiny Vulpix appeared!

I graduated with my Bachelor's on Sunday, so I guess this is a graduation gift to myself haha. 6 1/2 months of hunting was worth it... I now have one of my favorite shinies of all time. I came prepared to the battle with a Soundproof Voltorb, but Vulpix never used Roar to my relief, and I caught it in the second Pokeball. His name is Arcana, and he has a Lax nature with the Flash Fire ability. Once I get him all trained up I can't wait to evolve him into a silver and blue Ninetales ^_^

Next up on the BQ hit list is a shiny Dratini from the Game Corner. I already have one in Gen 5 from completing White Treehollow, but as it's a gift Pokemon I don't count it as part of my self-obtained shiny total, so it'd be nice to hunt for one myself. As for my other hunts, Volcarona is being incredibly stubborn at 10,000 SRs - especially considering that all my other shinies on my White 2 BQ came in at well under half odds (and two of those were under 1000 encounters)! It's now been over 7 months since I started that hunt, so I really hope Volcarona is the next to shine. Meanwhile, Route 120 is at 1600 REs and Chimchar is at 450 SRs.

Good luck to all of you on your hunts!

Aidan25

After 834 REs on Pokemon Pearl, found a Shiny Banette! Found in the grass to the right of the Survival Area.

http://i.imgur.com/FRXM4Rt.jpg

Couldn't use False Swipe due to it being a Ghost pokemon but this was the first ever shiny I had found legitimately on the game. Took a couple Ultra Balls and at the time I was reading the old Shiny hunting thread for Gen IV so I called it Serebii (pretty lame I know but I couldn't think of a name :p). Pretty happy with it too as it looks pretty cool and now I'm currently hunting west of Hearthome City for anything really.