• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

TheMaster327

Above: That's a shiny? I thought that was just the gender difference mechanic of the Pokemon

[img139]http://www.serebii.net/platinum/pokemon/449-m.png[/img139][img139]http://www.serebii.net/Shiny/Pl/449-m.png[/img139][img139]http://www.serebii.net/platinum/pokemon/449-f.png[/img139][img139]http://www.serebii.net/Shiny/Pl/449-f.png[/img139]

As you can see, the shiny has a slightly greener tint. More noticeable on the female.

WildShinyUmbreon

Got Dusk Balls? ;)
Hoo boy, I'm back from a five-day camping trip to find I had a Dexnav Vulpix hunt going in OR. Does anyone know whether Dexnav depends on the Search Level of the pokemon in question or the length of the chain??? Because I'm over 250 on both...

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
[img139]http://www.serebii.net/platinum/pokemon/449-m.png[/img139][img139]http://www.serebii.net/Shiny/Pl/449-m.png[/img139][img139]http://www.serebii.net/platinum/pokemon/449-f.png[/img139][img139]http://www.serebii.net/Shiny/Pl/449-f.png[/img139]

As you can see, the shiny has a slightly greener tint. More noticeable on the female.
From what I've seen, Pokemon with different color forms tend to not have a strong contrast to their normal colors when they are shiny.
Shellos would be an example.

jean010

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to everyone for their shinnies and I hope you the best in your next hunts!

After almost double the amount (398 eggs in total) of his sister another Paras, now a Parasect, shinned! Impish, with the Effect Spote ability too and 31/31/31/31/31/X ivs and apparently he's somewhat vain.

Well now that this is over I decided to go back to another Kanto starter, Squirtle

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Cyberra on Raikou, PhazonRain429 on Dialga and Heatran, SkyMew on Riolu and Trapinch, Laurelai on Hawlucha, Volcarocka on Starly, Lunafloon on Woobat, Phillies on Totodile and Hoothoot, Echo Nacyl on Chansey and Phione, jean010 on Aerodactyl and both Paras, TheMaster327 on Spiritomb and Hippopotas, Zenn of Ascension on Hypno, NitroLightningFlash on both Trapinch, Veens on Vulpix, maldoror on Rotom and Cottonee and Duskull, Mrs. Oreo on Azelf, tonyg44x on the multiple Squirtle and Regigigas, Lexya428 on Marill, Crimson Penguin on Vulpix (and the degree!), Aidan25 on Banette, Doomdour on Deino, Erron Black on Latios, Pokeaidan on Ralts, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thank you for the congrats, Crimson Penguin ^ ^

-----------

Haven’t hunted much lately again u.u I’ve just had no time with trying to hang out with people + work + just trying to get some other things done.

EEK. OMG. My first and only shiny fail was back in July 2013 when I was doing my first ever Badge Quest on Platinum. I wanted to keep my BQ game completely “pure” – as in I only had/used my BQ pokemon and didn’t trade any pokemon over. I’d hunted in Route 203 a lot since I wanted a Bidoof, Starly, and Shinx, but didn’t really expect to get an Abra since it was only 15% (it seemed even rarer since I only had 5 shinies in my whole collection when I started hunting this route). After getting a Starly and Bidoof, I just needed a Shinx, but an Abra appeared instead.

As I said, I didn’t trade over any pokemon with Shadow Tag or anything as I felt it would “taint” my BQ the way I wanted to play it (in retrospect, I should have just traded a Wobbuffet and not count anything towards the BQ if I used it). I’d looked over my 3 BQ member’s learnsets prior to finding this (Empoleon, Starpator, and Bibarel), but didn’t see a way to make anything work (I saw Bibarel had Yawn, but Abra would teleport before it would take effect). It wasn’t until about a month after that Abra that I was looking over the learnsets yet again and finally noticed Bibarel could learn Taunt. Though it was too late, as Abra had broken out of the Pokeball I’d thrown.

I wasn’t too torn at the time, as I didn’t care much about shiny Abra, though of course I wish I’d caught it. But as time went on I wanted it more and more >.< So now I’ve spent time here hoping that the 15% chance would show itself again (along with Starly and Shinx), as opposed to hunting on routes that better suit Starly/Shinx. And now it’s finally paid off, as after 2,841 REs, I finally found another shiny Abra!

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/aOuB0BF.jpg[/IMG200]

I was watching the 2nd ep of S4 of OITNB when it appeared. I looked down and saw it appearing and could easily tell it was shiny. I had to just keep staring at it while it was going across the screen to make sure I wasn’t just hallucinating. But sure enough it sparkled! I carefully made sure I knew what I was supposed to do (leading with my shiny Bibarel which still has Taunt and Yawn learned), then used Taunt and then Yawn. It broke out of the first Pokeball, but then fell asleep while at half-health from struggling, at which point it has 100% chance of capture. It’s so great to finally have this shiny that I should have had 3 years ago had I not been an idiot. I hope I’m lucky enough to find 2 more to complete the line ^ ^

This one is male (as was my failed one), Bashful, has Inner Focus, and has the following IVs: 23 – 3 – 17 – 0 – 29 – 26. What a wonderful way to get back to hunting! I haven’t had a chance to hunt since the 13th, then on the 41st RE of the night I get this shiny I was hoping so badly for! And while I knew I could get it on HG/SS (not even through the game corner necessarily) I really wanted to get it from the same game and route that I lost the first one.

Good luck, everyone (especially Cyberra, Crimson Penguin, CharlieDoryRose, umbreonfan3636, SheroGH, G-Money, Martinzqx, tui, ChaoticInverse, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

Dangertrout

Almost through another batch of 600 exeggcute eggs, still nothing. I think this brings me past the 3K mark, though I've stopped counting exactly. Gen 6 MM is just not working for me these past few months >.<

LilyValley

Useless Sceptile
After going to 720 Larvitar I had to clear out every hatching box I had. Now, at exactly 820 I found my Shiny Larvitar. Adamant, male in a Pokéball with the egg moves Stealth Rock, Dragon Dance and Pursuit. IVs are 31/31/31/x/31/x. My next hunts should be Beldum and then Gible, so that will complete my shiny pseudo legendary collection. Congrats on the many shinies while I was away and I hope you all have lots of luck in the coming months.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Heyy! Its been awhile but I'm back with good news :]! After 6,559 REs (13,118 seen) my target shines on my badge quest!

Yasss, I'm so glad that thing next to it didn't shine lol. Catching it went pretty smooth, I knocked out the Lucario first while the Graveler used Rock Blast (and missed, ha), Steelix paralyzed me with Dragonbreath but I gave my Magneton a Cheri Berry just incase that happened so I wouldn't have to deal with any para hax shenanigans. So after knocking out the Graverler and weakening Steelix a bit it was mine after about 4 dusk balls <3

My final target will be Snover, nothing better than ending this BQ with a blue shiny <3

Major gratz on all the recent shinies since I've been inactive, especially Cpchris on reclaiming Abra! Good luck everyone :]

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Congrats on that Steelix!

Is it confirmed that in-game trades (like Farfetch'd and Eevee) and in-game gifts (Lucario and Lapras) are shiny locked in XY? I've been wanting to restart my X for a long time now, and I'd like to start a Shiny Badge Quest. I want to use as many different methods as possible to obtain my shiny Pokemon, but I don't want to waste my time trying for things that are impossible. Thanks

Good luck to all those hunting!

You can definitely SR the Lapras (see this video: https://youtu.be/oDzCq9E-DBo ). I am not certain about the others.

Good to know! Thanks!

Last edited:

maldoror

Congrats on that Steelix!

Is it confirmed that in-game trades (like Farfetch'd and Eevee) and in-game gifts (Lucario and Lapras) are shiny locked in XY? I've been wanting to restart my X for a long time now, and I'd like to start a Shiny Badge Quest. I want to use as many different methods as possible to obtain my shiny Pokemon, but I don't want to waste my time trying for things that are impossible. Thanks

Good luck to all those hunting!

You can definitely SR the Lapras (see this video: https://youtu.be/oDzCq9E-DBo ). I am not certain about the others.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Wow I hooked my third shiny Horsea as I was fishing along the Muraille Coast on my X version this afternoon hee hee. I might evolve this one cuz shiny Kingdra looks quite cool to me. ^^ Also I did some Friend Safari shiny hunting on Saturday, tho I didn't find anything there. I might try again this coming weekend however. Goodluck to Crimson Penguin and everyone else as well. :3

Vale_Star

Shiny Huntress
Wow I hooked my third shiny Horsea as I was fishing along the Muraille Coast on my X version this afternoon hee hee. I might evolve this one cuz shiny Kingdra looks quite cool to me. ^^ Also I did some Friend Safari shiny hunting on Saturday, tho I didn't find anything there. I might try again this coming weekend however. Goodluck to Crimson Penguin and everyone else as well. :3

Can I steal your luck? I want a Shiny Horsea so bad. I keep chain fishing for on in that spot on Route 133 in ORAS but it NEVER shines, doesn't do it in X and Y either.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Well, after a three-week and a day drought and many hours of gameplay, I finally broke my non-shiny streak this past Sunday by finding a fresh one on my Black game. I was doing my quad hunt, and I look down, and hey, purple male heracross. :D It took quite a few pokeballs, but I caught it, and named it Hercules. I'll be transferring it soon. Now I've switched to the area outside the Elite 4 on Black where I have a chance at a shiny amoongus for my shiny Rocketdex.

In other news, I'll be working this Friday on changing the batteries in my Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald games. I ordered the appropriate batteries off Amazon, so hopefully it works out (I have online tutorials to help). I ended up with a really sore hand after prying the batteries out of Ruby and Sapphire, and thankfully the games (and my hands) are undamaged. I still have to pry it out of Emerald tomorrow.

Ryohei

Shiny Hunter
Oh wow I just found a shiny deino after only second dexnav encounter.... so happy. My timid synchronizer worked too. On the same day I also got a shiny buneary after 104 dexnav chain.

I'm gonna pokeradar for Shiny houndour on my X and dexnav hunting for shiny skrelp on my OR now. wish me luck!

congratz everyone on your shinies and good luck.

kat1123

Last week I made the decision to hunt for a shiny cresselia on my ORAS game. I've reached around 3500+ encounters with the shiny charm. I'm beginning to get impatient but I know I've invested too much time in this hunt to quit. :-(

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
My laptop's acting up again a bit, so I couldn't update the CH in time -_-

It's the Male-Only hunt one, btw. As an apology for taking a long time, I'll extend it to any male shinies (so even if the Pokemon can be female, if the shiny is male, it will be counted for the CH)

Tomorrow I'll update the completion list.

By the way, unless someone is willing to do the CH idea gathering and voting next month, I wouldn't be able to do the July CH at all, I will be on vacation until the 10th-11th.

So unless someone is willing, for next month we'll take a break from Community Hunts.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
At least one of the beast trio has decided to be reasonable.

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/994_zps9gt44dpg.jpg[/img139]

After only 7,133 soft resets, shiny entei has appeared! Sync worked and he is timid and somewhat vain, with Outstanding potential and 4IVs. I named him Aganju, after the Orisha god of fire, volcanoes, and deserts, from Yoruba (African) mythology. He appeared quickly enough to not earn himself a stupid name XD

Next up will be thundurus, up near Fortree. I've wanted this guy since Black and White, but roamers are a pain to hunt, so now I'm taking the opportunity.

Edit: Holy carp!!

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/998_zpsxuzoddjt.jpg[/img139]

After only 146 SRs, thundurus sparkles at me! I was not expecting to find him this fast! x.x Sync worked; he's timid and capable of taking hits. He's named after the Gaulish god of thunder.

Thundurus actually is male (see the little male symbol by his name?) so he's my first entry for the CH in the last couple months. Community hunt complete!

I want to hunt cobalion next, since he's the only muskedeer I wasn't able to hunt in Gen V, but he doesn't appear till tomorrow. To kill time I'm gonna go look for marill hordes on route 120

Last edited:

Erron Black

The Outlaw
I was talking to my friend and just as I turned and looked at my 3DS I saw a nice pink Aipom appear! Caught it and Synchronize worked again! Adamant nature. (Unfortunately I need Timid and Jolly synchronizers) Nicknamed him Pom Pom. :) It's IVs are in Defense and Special Defense unfortunately. :/

I actually don't have any Friend Safari with the Poison type with Pokemon I don't have shiny. So instead I'm moving on to a Psychic one. This one has Munna, Sigilyph, and Duosion. Really hoping for the latter, obviously x)

EDIT: Also, I guess that means I've completed the monthly challenge since Aipom was a male.

I'm also SR'ing a Shiny Mudkip on AS. My friend and I are going to do a SBQ race. x)

Last edited:

maldoror

Congrats on all your recent shinies and good luck on your ongoing hunts!

Yesterday I hatched a shiny Joltik (timid with 5 perfect IVs). I immediately started on Hippopotas and it shined in less than 100 eggs! I am not working on Feebas, hoping to get a competitive Milotic before this weekend's Too Many Gamers Con Pokemon tournament.

My Unown hunt on OR continues without success. I may put that on hold to train some of my recent shinies for the tourney.

Dangertrout

My laptop's acting up again a bit, so I couldn't update the CH in time -_-

It's the Male-Only hunt one, btw. As an apology for taking a long time, I'll extend it to any male shinies (so even if the Pokemon can be female, if the shiny is male, it will be counted for the CH)

Tomorrow I'll update the completion list.

By the way, unless someone is willing to do the CH idea gathering and voting next month, I wouldn't be able to do the July CH at all, I will be on vacation until the 10th-11th.

So unless someone is willing, for next month we'll take a break from Community Hunts.

Oh, I can take this over again for a bit if you need. Not quite as busy as the previous couple years... for now >.< Which, by the way to the old timers who remember why I dropped off the face of the earth for a while: I beat cancer and got married this year!

Everyone PM me your ideas for the July CH. I'll put the choices for voting out next week.