• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I was continuing my push through OR today. Got down to where I enter the Seafloor Cavern where groudon sleeps and remembered that I needed something with Dive. So I whipped out my brand-new super rod and went fishing. After several attempts and I don't know how many casts, I landed a pink female wailmer. She's docile and has Water Veil. I think it's so cool that when I'm moving around underwater I'm actually riding a wailmer and not a blob with fins. Now if only that were possible on a gyarados...

Dialga continues to elude me at 2,600 SRs.

razor fire

I decided to take on the daunting task of completing a living shiny dex. Progress so far is 93 out of 714 (6 of the 720 can't be shiny). I hope I'll be able to complete most of it before Sun & Moon launches, even though I most likely won't be able to do that. Unless people want to donate a few of their spare shinies to me *coughcough* ;)

The latest addition to the dex is a shiny Scraggy! :D I found it while horde encountering in X. I'm going to evolve it to a Scrafty, and hopefully find another Scraggy soon.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
YES! I finally got the Shiny Combee, and it is FEMALE! It's a Timid nature with IVs in Defense, and Speed. Nicknamed her Beeyonce. :)

Now back to my hunt for Flabebe via Pokeradar :p

The luckiest available shiny you can get....asides from shiny Manaphy of course. Hmm...does anyone have a legit shiny Manaphy? 1 in 8192, but I'm pretty sure millions of people have that Ranger event

Echo Nacyl

razor fire: Good luck. I'm casually trying to do the same thing. I don't know what my current progress is, because I haven't got it all on the same game or organized at all (also I'm not bothering to get extra copies of things I've trained. Why bother, as they'll move forward with me as well?) If you want a shiny male Combee, feel free to hit me up xD

RedJirachi: I have one. It took years of restarting games to hatch it on to achieve.

I have no shiny news, except that the male Combees can finally stop. I finally got my 6v HA female, and thus can stop hatching them for now. I'll need to see if I can find someone with a Combee Safari to hunt for a shiny Vespiquen. Cute Charm is too good to pass up.
Probably going to go for my 6v HA female Tepig next. With any luck I'll pick up a couple shinies for my shinydex.

Ryohei

Shiny Hunter
OMG. I just got the Shiny Gastly I had been hunting for months. Took me 852 eggs. It's Timid female and has 5IVs, missing HP. Not bad.
Now, only Shiny houndour left to hunt before I start my new goal (Complete shiny starters).

Congrats guys on your shinies.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Congratulations to everyone's shinies!

Well, I finally (yes, finally) have some news.

I started a Dratini MM earlier this year, but I lost track months ago after over like 2,000 eggs. I started it again recently, but got to egg 500 with no luck.
I got a bit tired, so I tried to do something more unusual. I chose four Pokémon that I would like to have high IV's shinies of and collected 75 eggs of each (300 eggs total).
They are Dratini (my first choice), Fletchling, Scyther, and Skorupi. I mixed up all the eggs so I was not sure which exactly was which Pokémon. (I have enjoyed this idea so far.)
I got through hatching about two boxes of them when one shined.

This morning, I hatched a shiny Fletchling with four flawless IV's. I wanted five, but with the specific four, I would have found it acceptable. (Unfortunately, that did not happen.)
It is an Adamant (all the eggs are everstoned Adamant), Gale Wings (the correct ability), shiny, female Fletchling.
It has an IV spread of 31/31/31/x/31/x. Yes, near perfect for its purpose, except its speed.
If it were like four IV missing special attack and a defensive stat, I might have liked it more.
I am currently considering training this girl, but I am not entirely sure if I will.

Anyways, I still have about eight more boxes to hatch. I sure hope something with a better IV spread shines soon.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
I got my Shiny Cascoon on X. All that is left for the Wurmple line is Beautifly and Dustox! :)

She is a careful nature and I nicknamed her GreenGoober :p

After I do that I'll be doing a Masuda Type quest! I've already somewhat planned out what I am going to be breeding for each type.

Silence27trey

I ended up with a shiny Wailmer...

Echo Nacyl

112fth egg just popped out a shiny Tepig, woo~! Male, Blaze, Modest (lol), 31/31/31/31/31/x

Zenn of Ascension

Well that was quick. I already completed my first phase for my shiny Larvitar with a shiny Marowak!

Encounter

Summary

It appeared after only 5,666 encounters between my two Fire Reds with it being the 83rd encounter today. Very happy that a 10% shiny appeared for the first phase and I hope my games continue this trend. Marowak also came with False Swipe so now I have a False Swiper for this game lol. Congrats to everyone who found a shiny and good luck to those still hunting especially Dangertrout on a egg hunt that has gone on too long. Hearing about long egg hunts in 6th gen worries me since I'm going to start a egg hunt in 3rd gen after I complete this hunt.

Edit: Completed Phase 2 last night with a shiny Cubone on my Fire Red 1 after only 1,072 encounters! I haven't gotten two shinies in one day in a while so this was a very nice surprise.

Encounter

Summary

Not the best nature for a Cubone, but I'll take it. This Fire Red has been on a very long encounter drought so I'm happy that something finally appeared on it. I'm going to continue on to the next phase with the hope of it being a Larvitar or Skarmory.

Last edited:

Chloe Cassandra

Long time no see.
Two nights ago, I ran into a shiny Marill while I was trying to spread Pokérus to some of my other shinies. XD It was a male with a Naughty nature. I gave it to a friend afterwards because they love shiny Azumarill. ^-^

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Encountered a Shiny Geodude in a horde last night, unprepared. Of course I was freaking out because I've never failed a shiny in my entire Shiny Hunting career, and I know the reputation Geodude hordes have.

Fortunately, the first turn none of the Geodudes used Magnitude EXCEPT the shiny one, which fainted one of the Geodudes. Next turn I KO'd the closest Geodude to the Shiny and what do you know? The Shiny Geodude was faster than the others and used Magnitude AGAIN! Fainting the rest of the Geodudes!

It may be my luckiest Shiny to date barring my Shiny Glameow in Pearl!

Doobius

been a while since i posted here.

recently got an itch to pick up the ds. been getting amped for sun and moon to come out and wanted a fun little challenge. decided to breed out a near perfect, 4 egg move riolu. i usually go with a mega family poke, do 4 egg moves, and wait for a 5 or 6 iv shiny. failed to add the everstone at the right time and ended up with a shiny, naive, 4 iv (no hp or speed), male, prankster, dream ball riolu with sky uppercut, high jump kick, cross chop, and blaze kick. not what i was hunting, but not bad either.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Found another Shiny Vivillon in the Friend Safari whilst hunting Beautifly. Male, nicknamed it Idaho, and I'll be giving it away to one of my friends.

Now with that boring news out of the way:

After getting that, I decided to try my luck at Pokeradar again, and I managed to get a 36 chain of Croagunk! So, I sat there and reset the radar for a good 30 minutes and a shiny patch appeared!! This is my first Shiny from Pokeradar, it was a female Croagunk with an Adamant nature(Even luckier!!), nicknamed her Croakaine. :p

I'll definitely be giving it a go at a later date, likely going for Ducklett because it's pink shiny is just too good to pass up! Anyways, I'm back to chain fishing for a Chinchou again, because I always seem to get Remoraid.

Dangertrout

4,200+ eggs hatched, still no shiny exeggcute. I can only assume that my Japanese ditto has lived in the daycare so long that it earned Canadian citizenship and therefore no longer triggers Masuda method >.<

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Found another Shiny Vivillon in the Friend Safari whilst hunting Beautifly. Male, nicknamed it Idaho, and I'll be giving it away to one of my friends.

Now with that boring news out of the way:

After getting that, I decided to try my luck at Pokeradar again, and I managed to get a 36 chain of Croagunk! So, I sat there and reset the radar for a good 30 minutes and a shiny patch appeared!! This is my first Shiny from Pokeradar, it was a female Croagunk with an Adamant nature(Even luckier!!), nicknamed her Croakaine. :p

I'll definitely be giving it a go at a later date, likely going for Ducklett because it's pink shiny is just too good to pass up! Anyways, I'm back to chain fishing for a Chinchou again, because I always seem to get Remoraid.

There's a place just to the left of the entrance to the Tower of Mastery in Shalour City where three rocks surround a single tile of water. If you chain fish there you can use a static lead to attract electric-types instead of chancing more remoraid. That's how and where I got my shiny chinchou.

Dialga is still being stubborn for me. I'm at 4,250 SRs for it.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
There's a place just to the left of the entrance to the Tower of Mastery in Shalour City where three rocks surround a single tile of water. If you chain fish there you can use a static lead to attract electric-types instead of chancing more remoraid. That's how and where I got my shiny chinchou.

Wow, thanks a bunch for that. Had no clue you could do that there!

I'm now pulling in way more Chinchou than Remoraid and my chain isn't breaking either. :)

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Congratulations to everyone over the past few days!

Yes, I have news. I have been continuing my idea of hatching multiple Pokémon for a MM, but I am up to six different Pokémon (I added Drilbur and Tyrunt to the past four).
I have hatched about 600 eggs since that shiny Fletchling on Friday, and I now just hatched my next shiny.

A shiny Tyrunt. My third self-hatched shiny Tyrunt (I have now been trying for an Adamant high-IV one).
It have 4 flawless IVs with a spread of 31/31/31/x/31/x. Same as that Fletchling from last week. SO close to what I wanted.
I still have some boxes left this round, and then I will continue with another 330 eggs. I might add even more Pokémon to the group, but I might not.

EDIT: Woo. A second shiny from this group of eggs. And in the same evening. AND it is a Dratini. AND it is viable.

It has four flawless IV's, but they are usable ones. Its spread is x/31/31/x/31/31. AND it has Marvel Scale. AND Extreme Speed and it is Adamant (Sure, all the Dratini have those two, but still.)
I will probably train this boy, seeing as it might as well be five IV missing HP (not using its special attack). I have trained 5 IV missing a stat such as HP a few times before. Sure, I would have liked it to be 5+ IV, but eh, it is a shiny.
This was my first choice Pokémon from the group, and it is worthwhile. Yay.
Just checked it with the IV calculator. 24 IV's in HP. Nice.

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I managed to do more chain fishing on both Omega Ruby and X on Sunday cuz I had alot of free time ha ha, but I didn't find any shinies in the sea so I focused on other shiny hunting methods including horde shiny hunting, tho I had no luck with that either. I'm also going to do a shiny Uxie hunt this week since I want to have shiny versions of the Sinnoh lake trio pokemon. :3