• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I'm beginning to doubt I'm going to get this dialga with enough time left for me to try and hunt reshiram for the CH. Soaring encounter SRs are about twice as long as regular SRs, so I get fewer of them done than I would SRing a grounded target. And I'm already over double full odds, about to hit 8,600 SRs for this stubborn blue dragon.

Had some spare time earlier and tried dexnav hunting for phantump in Petalburg Woods. But the thing just did not want to appear. I had a really hard time dexnaving anything in there. I'd get one or two or even three encounters, then it'd be "cannot be found in this area" no matter how many times I left and came back. Finally gave up.

Mudster

Master of the Legend
Finally managed my first hatched shiny - Koffing in AS. On my hitlist next is Clauncher, followed by Rotom and Honedge.

Zenn of Ascension

Finally, after 12,786 RE a shiny Phanpy appeared on my Fire Red #2 for phase 3 of my Larvitar/Skamory hunt. This phase took quite some time when compared to my first 2 phases.

Encounter

Summary

Not surprised I got a Phanpy for this phase. I got lucky in for the first two phases getting the 10% in the area so I was due for one of the more common shinies in the area. I was worried throughout this phase that if I did find a shiny Phanpy I wouldn't notice the color difference and run from it. When it came across my screen I -noticed right away that it was shiny. The picture doesn't do it justice on how pale it looks on the screen! It having Docile nature is neither good nor bad, but I'll hold off on evolving this because I'll probably find another Phanpy as I continue this hunt.

As for my other hunts, I haven't worked on my Ruby Badge Quest in a while so that's still sitting at 12k, but I have started my shiny Suicune hunt on my two Leaf Greens which is very slow going. I'm still casually hunting for a female Combee in 5th Gen as well. I also erased and restarted both my Sapphires after replacing the batteries so that I could finally use my Eon ticket to dual hunt for Latios. Only took 3 hours to beat each. Congrats to everyone who has gotten a shiny recently and good luck to everyone hunting!

Edit: Holy crap!! After only 1,953, I actually got one of the 5% in the area on my Fire Red #1, a shiny Persian!

Encounter

Summary

This is just insane. I never thought I would get one of the 5% this early into the hunt. Really wish it was one of my targets, but this was a very fast hunt so I have no complaints! Since it appeared on my Fire Red #1 I was able to catch it in a Luxury Ball as this is the file that has all of the unique balls on it. With this though phase 4 has been completed and I will continue on with this hunt. Hopefully, I will get one of my targets soon.

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
As I was working on doing more chain fishing on my Omega Ruby game in between other shiny hunts, I luckily stumbled on and caught a shiny Tentacool around Dewford town's shore hee hee. I might evolve this shiny later, but for now I put it in Bank. I did some soft resets for my shiny Uxie hunt as well this afternoon and I'll focus on that hunt tomorrow also.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
If we're talking about luck, whom here was awesome enough to get a shiny roaming legendary on their first shot? Out of probability laws I know someone on Serebii legit did this, just whom?

In terms of luckiest shinies, it's either Cobalion(only 127 SRs in a 1/8192 system) or Quagsire(Pastoria Marsh surprise)

Dangertrout

Voting time! For the August community hunt, what does everyone prefer? PM or VM your choice to me. Voting ends Sunday at midnight EDT.
Option 1) Fish pokemon (Pokemon found in a school for back to school season)
Option 2) Pokemon that can learn the move Hurricane. (Pidgey line, Articuno, Moltres, Dragonite, Shiftry, Wingull line, Castform, Whimsicott, Ducklett line, Volcarona, Tornadus, Vivillon, and the Noibat line)
Option 3) a beach hunt since it's summer. All of the beaches or beach-like areas apply, with any hunting method that's do-able there being fair game.

Don't forget to vote!

I finished this batch of eggs, still no shiny. 4800+ eggs so far. I think I'll take a break and SR Treecko in AS because why not :p

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
Spent most of the day hunting for Turtwig and added SRing for Oshawott on Black 2 - I am also now the proud owner of a black Charizard. Apparently according to the IV judge in Pokemon X it has some good IV's. Ended up nicknaming my Charizard Smaug for obvious reasons ~

Ryohei

Shiny Hunter
Hatched a shiny HA chikorita after only 238 eggs. Whoa. <3
(Calm Has 5IVs but too bad its missing Sp Defense...)

Torchic next!

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Recently got Shiny Helioptile and Honchkrow for my Shiny Living Dex!

On my quest to get a Shiny Relicanth, I've gotten TWO Shiny Clawitzer and I'm so mad about that because that's TWO 30% shinies before I can get the 65%. >.<

EDIT: YAY A THIRD CLAWITZER JUST WHAT I WANTED.

Last edited:

LilyValley

Useless Sceptile
I took some time to draw but soon after returning to hatching today I found a Shiny Gible. This happened on the 426th egg, female, Impish and in a Pokéball. IVs are 31/31/31/x/31/31 and she has the HA. Next I'll go after Eevee, I would like to get a HA shiny for Sylveon (I already have one but without the HA), and then two others for Flareon and Leafeon. Congrats to others on their recent shinies and good luck to those who are searching!

Erron Black

The Outlaw
FINALLY!!!

Got the Shiny Relicanth! Only took 3 Shiny Clawitzers to find... >.>

Now I'm going to start my Masuda Type Quest. Where I have to breed a Shiny of each type. My finalized list is:

Bug: Yanma (Yanmega)
Dark: Absol
Dragon: Goomy (Goodra)
Electric: Joltik (Galvantula)
Fairy: Ralts (Gardevoir)
Fighting: Riolu (Lucario)
Fire: Magby (Magmortar)
Flying: Gligar (Gliscor)
Ghost: Duskull
Grass: Bulbasaur (Venusaur)
Ground: Phanpy (Donphan)
Ice: Snorunt (Glalie or Froslass depending on Gender)
Normal: Kecleon
Poison: Skorupi (Drapion)
Psychic: Munna (Musharna)
Rock: Roggenrola (Gigalith)
Steel: Klefki
Water: Seel (May become a Dewgong)

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Has anyone ever managed to make a shiny living dex? Asides from the Pokemon that can't be shiny, of course

Paraqua

Beginning Trainer
Congrats to all recent shinies

After 294 eggs, a shiny Lotad hatched

Male (Nicknamed Pedro), Modest nature through everstone, perfect IV's in Sp. ATK and Speed and has the Rain Dish ability

Good luck to all future shinies

*Update*

While EV training my new shiny Lotad, a shiny Zigzagoon popped up in a horde xD

Last edited:

Dangertrout

Voting time! For the August community hunt, what does everyone prefer? PM or VM your choice to me. Voting ends Sunday at midnight EDT.
Option 1) Fish pokemon (Pokemon found in a school for back to school season)
Option 2) Pokemon that can learn the move Hurricane. (Pidgey line, Articuno, Moltres, Dragonite, Shiftry, Wingull line, Castform, Whimsicott, Ducklett line, Volcarona, Tornadus, Vivillon, and the Noibat line)
Option 3) a beach hunt since it's summer. All of the beaches or beach-like areas apply, with any hunting method that's do-able there being fair game.

Voting ends tonight!

jamie_11x

I caught my latest shiny Pokemon last night :D a Pawniard

RedJirachi

Veteran member
So what do you think is the best shiny which doesn't change the color itself, but rather the shade/lightness or darkness of it. For me, that might be Glaceon

Dangertrout

Voting is over. The CH for August will be Option 1) Fish pokemon (Pokemon found in a school for back to school season)

edit - FINALLY! My SS BQ progresses with a shiny Geodude! Which I was not really prepared for and it knew self destruct! Thankfully quick ball worked. Now if I could just get this pesky MM Exeggcute to shine on OR......

Last edited:

Paraqua

Beginning Trainer
Well that was a short hunt.

After just 63 eggs, a shiny Abra hatched

Female (Nicknamed Lisa)
Outstanding potential
5 perfect IV's (Missing Sp. Attack)
Timid Nature through Everstone
Inner Focus

Good luck to all future shinies

Doomdour

Color Ball Collector
So what do you think is the best shiny which doesn't change the color itself, but rather the shade/lightness or darkness of it. For me, that might be Glaceon

I love the lighter blue of Croagunk/Toxicroak

Not giving up on this Riolu hunt.

EDIT: So I got a shiny male Riolu! Thanks for the good luck @Bambo and everyone else! Good luck with your Altaria and to those hunting.

[img139]http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab261/Blade7526/20160725_205103_zpsamyryhah.jpg[/img139]

Last edited: