• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Zenn of Ascension

Since school just started back up I haven't had as much time to hunt as I did in the summer, but after 6,752 RE I completed phase 9 with shiny Cubone on my Fire Red #2!

[spoil][IMGSIZE=600]http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o620/ZennofAscension/20160901_185430_016_zpsve8qfftj.jpg[/IMGSIZE][/spoil]

[spoil][IMGSIZE=600]http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o620/ZennofAscension/20160901_190444_010_zpstsauw8k3.jpg[/IMGSIZE][/spoil]

This Cubone is the second one I've found on this hunt and continues the trend of repeat shinies here. However, this one does have the better nature when compared to the other Cubone and the Marowak I found, in addition to Rock Head, so this will be the one I train up. I'll continue on to the tenth phase of this hunt with the hopes that I'll get Larvitar soon so I can do some other hunts lol. Congrats to everyone who has found a shiny and good luck to everyone hunting!

Akko

Strawberry Sunrise
Hi guys! It's been a long time since I last posted on here, so congrats on all the shinies since then!

I've been hunting for the shiny story Latias in AS for the past 5/6 months now and I got her last night! I'm incredibly ecstatic right now! My sister (Kai*) got her shiny story Latios in OR on May 31st. We started our individual hunts at the same time and she got her shiny Latios about 2 months in, lucky punk... lol. I'm so happy to be done with this hunt! I can finally finish AS before S/M are released! XD

Keep on hunting and good luck everyone! ^_^

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I don't know if it's the right place to post my message but I try. I need a shiny english Ditto from Friend safari so I want to propose a trade-hunt: if someone will hunt that Ditto for me I will hunt another Pokèmon for that person and then we trade the two Pokèmon. PM me if interested. Thanks.

The proper place to post this would be in the trade threads.

Dialga has officially become my second longest SR hunt ever. At 24,700 SRs it is more than six times full odds for a Gen VI shiny hunt. Holy carp this thing is stubborn. Are we sure it's not locked?

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Team Volt Grunt on Froakie and Oddish, Shinyhunter1990 on Whismur, Laurelai on Mewtwo, FawfulFury on Giratina, Paraqua on Rhyhorn, Zenn of Ascension on Cubone, Akko on Latias, and everyone else on your shinies!

-----------

Change of plans again on my HeartGold hunt :D I said I could find Ditto with this repel trick, but it’s pretty rare. I never really considered hunting Ditto here simply because I always thought I’d end up hunting Metang and Ditto via Repel Trick on Black 2 someday, but…I realized a long time ago that I’d probably end up hunting Beldum on Platinum instead (since you can’t find Beldum in the wild on Black 2 and I want complete evolution lines). Which means I probably won’t end up finding Ditto on Black 2.

Which leaves HeartGold! And since this route is the best option for Ditto, I’m better off not repel tricking until I get a Ditto so I can see if I get a Miltank in the process as opposed to coming back sometime after I already have Miltank and finding a duplicate Miltank. Unfortunately, this does open some risk for useless duplicates – and less exciting ones at that (Raticate, Spearow, and Fearow), but if the rates are correct, it should only be a total 14% chance.

I also might try to do Hoenn sound if I can remember, although I work all day on Wednesdays which means I’ll only be able to do around 200-400 REs…Better than nothing, I suppose.

-----------

Oh my! Well, I was hunting tonight after work, and it got to be 11:20 (and I usually stop hunting at midnight due to a bit of neurosis regarding finding a pokemon after midnight, which is technically on a different day than it actually feels, and I’d rather keep the actual date I find it and the date it feels like the same), so I had time for 100 more REs. I sort of wanted to do something else, but decided I’d hope that sticking with another 100 REs would maybe be lucky and I’d just watch a video to keep occupied.

80 REs after that, and I see a shiny Zubat appear on my Platinum game after 4,580 REs!

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/Eju2jKm.jpg[/IMG200]

It’s both an awesome, unexpected and welcome surprise, but also a bit disappointing. I like the Zubat line’s shiny forms, but this was a 10% encounter – I’d have much rather had that luck go towards an Abra or even a Kricketot, since the Zubat line is extremely easy to get in other areas, while Abra and Kricketot are not. Still, such a great looking shiny and one I wasn’t expecting to own for quite a while! It’s also my 100th unique shiny!

My Zubat is female and Quiet (and too late at night now for me to find out the IVs). I expect I’ll eventually complete the line through other targets (such as Duskull and Chingling in Turnback Cave), so I guess I’ll just have to be patient…Though this might mean those other hunts get pushed ahead in line a bit :x

Good luck, everyone (especially Cyberra, Crimson Penguin, CharlieDoryRose, umbreonfan3636, SheroGH, G-Money, Martinzqx, tui, ChaoticInverse, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

SheroGH

Hi, long time since I've posted here!! Congratulations on all the shinies since my last post!!

I took a break from shiny hunting for a few months and started again in August. The first shiny that I got was a Shiny Latias at 2397 SRs, then a few days after while I was studying for a test, an uncatchable Shiny Poochyena appeared on my japanese sapphire at 2048 SRs :( . Then, two days later, I decided to start a hunt in my Platinum and 2 Encounters later a Random Shiny Gastly shined!! I couldn't believe it!! And Today, at 624 SRs, Shiny Hitmonlee decided to shine!! I'm so glad that it didn't take too long to shine!

[spoil][img139]http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr319/sheroo1992/Shiny%20Latias1_zpsrr3urzvr.jpg[/img139][img139]http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr319/sheroo1992/Shiny%20Uncatchable%20Pooch_zpscubhkjox.jpg[/img139][img139]http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr319/sheroo1992/Shiny%20Gastly_zpsew6bgbqh.jpg[/img139][img139]http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr319/sheroo1992/Shiny%20Hitmonlee_zpszlmwwmxk.jpg[/img139][/spoil]

Now I'm hunting for Aerodactyl on FireRed and LeafGreen, Lapras on my Soul Silver and Ho-Oh on my brother's Soul Silver.

Good Luck on all your hunt!!

shiny_hunter5

Hey guys been a while hope everyone is good and had some shiny success! as ever could people tell me if they are doing a shiny quest and what game as i find these interesting and fun :) gong back to mine BADGE TWO on SS :) wish me luck aha oh and really want to train my shiny Blatoise on Omega Sapphire feel free to pm me if you are doing a quest on either of these games.

Conquering Storm

Driver of the Aegis
I started a Badge Quest on Y yesterday after getting fed up with my Nuzlocke. I'm SRing for a Shiny Fennekin right now and good lord is it boring. Good thing I'll (hopefully) be able to get some foreign Pokémon from the GTS later on so I can MM the rest of my Shinies.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I continue to make progress in my X shiny badge quest. I caught a shiny Skrelp by chain fishing yesterday. Skrelp is exclusive to Y, so I progressed far enough in X to get the Good Rod, then switched over to Y to do the actual catching. I wasn't keeping track of my chain, but it didn't take long for him to show up. I named him Lamar after Laminariaceae, one of the families of kelp. He is Lonely and proud of his power. I immediately super trained and maxed his affection, then went and beat Ramos for badge number 4.

[IMG139]http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/kyle72686/Shiny%20Pokemon/Skrelp%20-%20Amie.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/kyle72686/Shiny%20Pokemon/Skrelp%20-%20Stats.jpg[/IMG139]

It's already time to start my next hunt, but I don't know what to try and hunt for. I think since I can Fly now, I'm going to focus on the Eevee MM I started once i finish up at the power plant and gain access to the north part of Lumiose. I have a feeling it's going to take longer than my last few hunts.

Good Luck on all your hunts!

Last edited:

TheMaster327

Platinum BQ is OVER! After 15,623 REs, Electabuzz shines!

[img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Crqt9ERWIAAgzXE.jpg[/img139][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CrqzaINWIAAvL_e.jpg[/img139]

It put up a bit of a fight, but it finally was snagged in a Premier Ball :)
Impish nature, which I think is good for Electivire?
IVs: 17, 18 / 17, 18, 19 / 1, 3 / 10, 12 / 14 / 25

I'll edit this post later with a recap of the whole BQ.

EDIT: OK, BQ Recap!

Started hunting Piplup January 1st 2016.
1. 10,131 SRs for Piplup. Not the best of starts, as I got this in the early hours of February 10th.

2. 25,246 REs for Bronzor. It was destined to be bad-luck-BQ with this hunt. At least Magnet Pull helped me get what I wanted out of Route 211, albeit after over a month, appearing on March 19th.

3. 10,552 SRs for Munchlax. By far the WORST hunt to set up. 1 1/2 months to get it on the honey tree to be able to SR it drove me mad. At least this was third shortest hunt of the BQ, appearing on May 18th.

4. 24,762 SRs for Spiritomb. This was second-longest in terms of number, but thankfully the SRs were quick, eventually appearing on 12th June.

5. 2,501 REs for Hippopotas. By far the shortest hunt of the BQ. Appeared exactly one week after Spiritomb on 19th June. This proved to just be a luck blip.

6. 11,650 REs for Magmar. No repel trick for this one, but still took a little while to find this pink girl. Appeared about 15 minutes prior to the game turning night (when it gets rarer to encounter, so I could've got something else there) on 1st July.

7. 12,389 REs for Snover. Repel Trick in hail. Not fun. At least this was a decent length hunt, appearing just under the month mark on 28th July.

8. 15,623 REs for Electabuzz. Wanted this to give me the mini-set of Magmortar and Electivire, so was glad to see this shine on 6th September (encounters were slow here).

Total encounters for BQ = 112,854. Average hunt length = 14,107 encounters. By far the longest BQ I've completed.

Last edited:

shiny_hunter5

Platinum BQ is OVER! After 15,623 REs, Electabuzz shines!

[img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Crqt9ERWIAAgzXE.jpg[/img139][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CrqzaINWIAAvL_e.jpg[/img139]

It put up a bit of a fight, but it finally was snagged in a Premier Ball :)
Impish nature, which I think is good for Electivire?
IVs: 17, 18 / 17, 18, 19 / 1, 3 / 10, 12 / 14 / 25

I'll edit this post later with a recap of the whole BQ.

Major congrats must have almost had a heart attack after 15k

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Ok, I want to breed a shiny Sneasel in Gold. How screwed am I?

Masuda Method does not exist in Gen II. You're better off with random encounters

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I decided before I even started that I wanted to use as many different shiny hunting methods as possible to complete this badge quest. Since pre-champion XY is basically limited to SR, MM, chain fishing, hordes and RE, I was kind of struggling to come up with more methods, since I don't have access to the radar or friend safari. Some ideas I came up with were basically extensions of the methods I already mentioned: fossil SR, rock smashing RE, and... Wonder Trading.

It's Wonder Trade Wednesday, so I decided to trade off a bunch of the Eevee I've been MM'ing (7 boxes in so far, with 2 more boxes ready to hatch) intending to keep trading until I got a shiny from someone. After about 10-12 trades, I received a shiny Grirafarig. It's level 100 and Timid with a Life Orb, Sap Sipper, 4 Smogon-suggested moves, and the pokerus. I'm guessing all perfect IVs as well. Almost undeniably hacked. It didn't take as many trades as I expected and there was no real hype to it. Since I planned on using Wonder Trade as a method of obtaining a shiny before I even got my Froakie, I'm going to count Girafarig toward my badge quest, but he's going to stay in the box because I can't train it, can't name it, and it won't listen to me until I have 8 badges. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I'm going to keep hatching eggs until I get that shiny Eevee before I take on Clemont for my 5th badge.
[IMG139]http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/kyle72686/Shiny%20Pokemon/082dcebd-f6c2-40da-9c9c-1108a8fd68f0.jpg[/IMG139]

Edit: 10 full boxes hatched and no shiny yet. Trying to ignore that fact that I've now hatched over 800 Eevee between different files and still no shiny Eevee. For one of the methods with the best odds, MM'ing sure takes forever. I'll be collecting more eggs this evening.

Last edited:

Shinyhunter1990

Shiny Hunter 4 life
Caught me 4 shiny Pokemon they are zubat ( nicknamed The jokes), poliwag, stunky, roggenrola. Hopefully will have at least one picture up soon
image.jpg

Last edited:

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Uhhh.........I just now read Dangertrout's PM. So is there no one doing the idea gathering and voting for the CH yet?

If there's none, you can PM me your ideas now, my plan is that we'll have a CH by the end of this week.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to SheroGH on Latias and Gastly and Hitmonlee, TheMaster327 on Electabuzz, and everyone else on your shinies!

-----------

I found a shiny last night! After 17,022 REs on Black 2, on the 222nd RE of the night, I found a 2nd shiny Lairon!

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/K5HuxV5.jpg[/IMG200]

This is just what I wanted! I was starting to get worried with this RE count that it was going to be a repeat of a previous attempt where I hit an absurd number of REs and get the 20% non-target x.X But the magnet pull repel trick succeeded this time, and now I have the Aron line complete! This one is male, Sturdy, Careful, and has the following IVs: 5 – 11 – 2 – 1 – 30 – 17. Terrible X] I’ll be evolving my first Lairon into Aggron. Also, this is my first Careful natured shiny! Only took 118 shinies to get one :p Now I have a shiny of every nature!

That means I can finally leave Clay Tunnel (though I did get a break hunting Absol)! I’ve now returned to hunt once again at Abundant Shrine! I actually managed to get one of everything from this area save for Golduck and Altaria without altering the encounter rates at all (my second Bronzor was via Magnet Pull, but my first one was normal rate!), which was especially neat when I got a 10% Vulpix – a dream shiny of mine that I didn’t actually think I would get without repel tricking for.

But now I’m here to repel for a second one, as my first one has remained unevolved despite wanting a Ninetales very badly. I wouldn’t mind another Marill, as I still need an Azumarill and an Azurill, but I’d be perfectly content targeting the rest of that line another time. I do need another Cottonee, although I’m expecting to find plenty of those whenever I get around to hunting Venipede. I absolutely DON’T need another Altaria, so hopefully I don’t get that. And I’d prefer not to get a Golduck as I like to complete lines on whichever game I first start them on, and Psyduck will be a lot more trouble to get on Black 2 (though I love the 5th gen sprites for both Psyduck and Golduck WAY more than on 4th gen). Soooo…Yeah! Vulpix please!

Good luck, everyone (especially Cyberra, Crimson Penguin, CharlieDoryRose, umbreonfan3636, SheroGH, G-Money, Martinzqx, tui, ChaoticInverse, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

Lucy Suzunia

Shiny Hunter
Today our teacher was explaining us how a computer works. While this I was driving arround in the friend safari and tadaaa, I found a shiny Eevee after 10 minutes xD

lll.jpg