• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats to Shade on Dialga (sucks about Lugia though, good luck on the reclaim!), Cpchris on Shinx and Magnemite, maldoror on Aron, Sableye, Eevee, Spoink, and Oddish, Kalosian on Oddish, Shinyhunter1990 on Krabby and Ralts, MechanisticMoth on Beautifly, RASTAPOPE on Absol, Mrs. Oreo on Uxie, Ryohei on the perfect (!!!) Chimchar, AmethystLeslie on Houndour, Laurelai on Slowpoke, Paraqua on Spiritomb, and anyone else I may have missed on your shinies!

Thanks to Nakashima, Cpchris, and Bumblebee5253 for the congrats, and thanks also to Cpchris and Bumblebee5253 for the luck!

My Y Route Quest is now officially underway! Two nights ago, I ran into a shiny Scatterbug after 3829 REs! I'm really happy with this - Scatterbug was one of my two preferred targets from Route 2, the other being Caterpie. I also think it's ironic that I got a shiny butterfly before The Moth That Shall Not Be Named... XD I named her Kaleidoscope (since I have the Modern pattern Vivillon, I thought it was fitting), and she has a Naughty nature with Shield Dust (although I might change it to Compound Eyes). I think I'll be using her as my lead hunting Pokemon for a while - the original idea for this Route Quest was to start with a new file and only use my shinies the whole game, and I wouldn't be able to progress to a new area until I found a shiny in the current area. I couldn't bring myself to restart my BQ file, though, so I'm just pretending like it's a new file. XD

Next I'll be targeting the Santalune Forest, hoping for pretty much anything except another Scatterbug (although Caterpie/Metapod is still my primary target). As for The Moth Who Shall Not Be Named, that's at 29,600 SRs. I'll probably hit 30k today, unless it finally decides to be nice to me. I haven't made much progress in my other hunts since my last post, but I'm hoping that if I can get the moth soon I can resume focus on those (until Sun/Moon come out, then all bets are off).

Good luck to all of you on your hunts, especially Cpchris and Bumblebee5253!

EDIT: Wow, I can't believe my luck right now! After just 80 REs today and 1580 REs total, I found a shiny Pawniard!

I hadn't touched my Pawniard hunt in a while, mostly because it's hard to repel trick while also SRing for Volcarona. I had some time this afternoon and decided to pick it back up on kind of a whim, and I'm glad I did! Pawniard has been one of my longtime targets and it's nice to finally cross that hunt off the list. His name is Deep Blue (after the computer that defeated chess grandmaster Garry Kasparov), and he has a Quirky nature with the Defiant ability. He's the first gen 5 shiny I've gotten in nearly a year, and he also happens to be my first non-MM hunt ending in a 0 (yeah I keep track of these things, kinda weird isn't it XD). It's also the shortest span of time between shinies this year. Hopefully this bodes well for getting the moth...

Congrats to Shinyhunter1990 on Rhyhorn and Absol, and good luck to everyone else!

Last edited:

Shinyhunter1990

Shiny Hunter 4 life
Well yesterday was good to me because at 11:31 pm -6 time I caught a shiny ryhorn. It caught me off guard because it was on my first radar try of the day ( had 23 before that.) Picture will be up soon and hopefully I will run into a shiny Absol today ;)! IMG_1309.jpg

EDIT: Lady Luck is smiling on me today. Why I just caught my 3rd shiny in 24hrs. This time it's a shiny absol. Maybe I should go back to reshiram hunting :)

Last edited:

Phillies

Congratulations to everyone on your new shinies since the last time I posted.

Earlier this week I started to horde hunt for a shiny Scyther. So far I have encountered 5 shiny Spinda and 4 shiny Swablu. I also have caught about a dozen of each during a previous attempt. I am beginning to think that shiny Scythers don't exist. Does anyone know if the cute charm has any effect on hordes?

Good luck to everyone on their current and future hunts.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Congratulations to everyone on your new shinies since the last time I posted.

Earlier this week I started to horde hunt for a shiny Scyther. So far I have encountered 5 shiny Spinda and 4 shiny Swablu. I also have caught about a dozen of each during a previous attempt. I am beginning to think that shiny Scythers don't exist. Does anyone know if the cute charm has any effect on hordes?

Good luck to everyone on their current and future hunts.

I used cute charm to get a female White Smoke heatmor from a durant horde in Y, so yes, it does work (took me hours, though, since heatmor is rare in hordes and HA ones even more so). You'll get more females per horde.

Giratina is over 3,100 SRs and counting.

Phillies

I used cute charm to get a female White Smoke heatmor from a durant horde in Y, so yes, it does work (took me hours, though, since heatmor is rare in hordes and HA ones even more so). You'll get more females per horde.

Giratina is over 3,100 SRs and counting.

Thanks. Good luck with Giratina.

ebevan91

Last night while playing Alpha Sapphire, I was heading to Meteor Falls and was going to pick up a Swablu via DexNav along the way. Well, lo and behold a shiny adamant natured Swablu popped up and had 1 star under potential. It had Hyper Voice too but the adamant nature won't do it any good. Anyways, I captured that sucker right away with a regular PokeBall.

Shαde

Congrats to Shinyhunter1990 on Ralts and Rhyhorn, Atome on Skiddo, Crimson Penguin on Scatterpie and Pawniard, and ebevan91 with Swablu! (Suchs on the nature, but he is one of the cutest shinies imo!) and anyone I might have missed. Sorry, my hands are shaking!

Good luck to Bumblebee5253 with Eevee and Cyberra with that Giratina (I might be joining you soon on him!) and everyone who aspires to catch shinies! This means you!

Nakashima, if you have a dream, chase it. Even if you can hatch/encounter 100 Pokemon a day, it's a step forward. I actually only count my lots in 100s because it feels better to me, somehow. Keep us up to date on your Shiny Living Dex project! I know a website that tracks Living Dex projects and you can use it for your shiny one if you want. :) Just let me know.

Okay guys. It has been a LONG last few days for me.

I encountered my first shiny Lugia on the 6th at 383 SRs and, with shaking hands, I bumped Run instead of Items. :(

Yesterday, on the 6th, at 995 SRs, I encountered my second Lugia. I was on point with everything. I had a calculator up counting down his limited moves. I had my Heal Pulsers set and ready to go. I even got a handful of those triple-wiggle heart straining shakes that just make you want to crawl into a hole when they break out. Sadly, I miscounted, and when the calculator hit 19, I put Lugia to sleep and switched to a Heal Pulser. He woke up, struggled, and I watched his >10% health drain and watched him perish before my eyes.

This morning, at 84 SRs, I decided to log online every single encounter I got and see if I couldn't ask one of my Discord friends to throw me a Catch Power if I found him. I wasn't expecting him to show up so fast, but when he shone... Oh man, when he shone. With a friend throwing me a Catch O-Power level 2, I finally got it. My Lugia in a Premier Ball! And BOLD SYNCED.

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/ngtkzd3b.jpg[/img139]

That was a total of 1,462 SRs, two fails, and one catch.

Now, do I want to go for Suicune or finally go after Giratina... I am undecided!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Congrats to Shinyhunter1990 on Ralts and Rhyhorn, Atome on Skiddo, Crimson Penguin on Scatterpie and Pawniard, and ebevan91 with Swablu! (Suchs on the nature, but he is one of the cutest shinies imo!) and anyone I might have missed. Sorry, my hands are shaking!

Good luck to Bumblebee5253 with Eevee and Cyberra with that Giratina (I might be joining you soon on him!) and everyone who aspires to catch shinies! This means you!

Nakashima, if you have a dream, chase it. Even if you can hatch/encounter 100 Pokemon a day, it's a step forward. I actually only count my lots in 100s because it feels better to me, somehow. Keep us up to date on your Shiny Living Dex project! I know a website that tracks Living Dex projects and you can use it for your shiny one if you want. :) Just let me know.

Okay guys. It has been a LONG last few days for me.

I encountered my first shiny Lugia on the 6th at 383 SRs and, with shaking hands, I bumped Run instead of Items. :(

Yesterday, on the 6th, at 995 SRs, I encountered my second Lugia. I was on point with everything. I had a calculator up counting down his limited moves. I had my Heal Pulsers set and ready to go. I even got a handful of those triple-wiggle heart straining shakes that just make you want to crawl into a hole when they break out. Sadly, I miscounted, and when the calculator hit 19, I put Lugia to sleep and switched to a Heal Pulser. He woke up, struggled, and I watched his >10% health drain and watched him perish before my eyes.

This morning, at 84 SRs, I decided to log online every single encounter I got and see if I couldn't ask one of my Discord friends to throw me a Catch Power if I found him. I wasn't expecting him to show up so fast, but when he shone... Oh man, when he shone. With a friend throwing me a Catch O-Power level 2, I finally got it. My Lugia in a Premier Ball! And BOLD SYNCED.

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/ngtkzd3b.jpg[/img139]

That was a total of 1,462 SRs, two fails, and one catch.

Now, do I want to go for Suicune or finally go after Giratina... I am undecided!

Congrats on finally getting that lugia ^_^ After all that, you earned that shiny ^_^

(Little jealous of the shiny umbreon clock in your sig... I asked for one of the Red Gyarados, but I never got it, and as far as I know the person who made them is gone from the forum)

*coughs*

Giratina is playing coy... I'm at 4,000 SRs and counting.

Scherzando

scare-TZAN-doe
Jeez Shade, glad you finally got that Lugia! It was so painful reading about your first two fails D:

As for me, I haven't been hatching much... just did another 54 eggs but no shiny yet. I'd collect more at a time but my boxes are getting too full. >_<

I kinda want a Smeargle to catch shinies with now, lol. I'm happy with my "Utility Crobat" and his Super Fang+Hypnosis combo (plus Roost when catching strong legendaries), but the possibilities of Foresight/Soak/Gastro Acid to cover everything is tempting. With Spore and False Swipe needed, what'd be best for the other two moves? I might go with Foresight over Soak because it'd remove annoying evasiveness boosts, but then again, Steels/Rocks will be harder to take down with Smeargle's low attack... maybe it'd need a recovery move as well? And exactly which pokemon is Gastro Acid good for (or just OP abilities in general)? I hope this is still on-topic, but hey, we need to be prepared when a random shiny crosses our paths.

Nakashima> I personally wouldn't want to attempt a shiny living dex because of how long it takes and my hobbies are more important priorities to me. Maybe just go for the pokemon and shinies you like and not the entire pokedex?

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to RASTAPOPE on Absol, Mrs. Oreo on Uxie, Ryohei on Chimchar, AmethystLeslie on Houndour, Laurelai on ??? (Grimer? Pictures don’t work, and I don’t know Competitive battling!), Paraqua on Spiritomb, Crimson Penguin on Scatterbug and Pawniard, Shade on Lugia, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thank you for the congrats, Nakashima, Bumblebee5253, and Crimson Penguin :) And thank you for the luck, Crimson Penguin!

-------------

I've gotten no feedback on the question I asked in my last post, so I'll re-post it :p

I'd really like some honest feedback, tell me im crazy if I am for contemplating this. I cant make up my mind wether it'd be a total overshooting of what I can get done or not..

I don’t think it’s a crazy idea. I mean, for a long time now (during my Growlithe hunt) I pretty much planned to go for a shiny living dex (at least through gen 5). I don’t think I’ll ever get close to finishing even that (currently at 105 after 4 years of consistent hunting), but it just never entered my mind at all since I first started shiny hunting that I would just suddenly stop one day if I found all my main targets…Of COURSE I would just go after new shinies if I ran out of other targets!

So I don’t see why not to aim for a shiny living dex. Now, do I think you’re crazy if you think you’ll complete this goal within a couple years given your time constraints? Yes :p But I don’t view that as a reason to not go for it. Good luck!

-------------

Yesterday, I encountered my first-ever Beldum swarm. Surprised (and concerned!) that it took about 2 months before getting 1 Beldum swarm :x Sadly, no shiny Beldum. But Skitty was swarming again today, and on the 403rd RE of the day, after 3,603 REs, I found not another Magnemite, but my target, shiny Skitty!

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/bmYPIig.jpg[/IMG200]

I saw it appearing and thought it looked different, but waited eagerly to see the sparkles to make sure it was a shino :x This one is male, Rash, Cute Charm ability, and the following IVs: 10 – 30 – 26 – 5 – 3 – 25. I wonder how long it will take to get another Skitty…I really like completing evolution lines but obviously swarms are going to be a bit tougher on me in that regard >.<

Well, Platinum’s been kinder to me this last week or so, but I’m still waiting for my other games to take a similar approach!

Good luck, everyone (especially Crimson Penguin, Bumblebee5253, umbreonfan3636, Samayouru, CharlieDoryRose, SheroGH, G-Money, Martinzqx, tui, ChaoticInverse, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

Last edited:

Shαde

@Cyberra Thank you! T.T I'm just glad that he's Bold too so I didn't have to go through the process of deciding if I wanted to let go of him if he had a bad nature on top of all of that. And I'm sorry you never got your clock! I tried to hunt down the artist who did mine to see if they moved anywhere, but it's super hard to track someone who only posted the requested art and none of their other pieces that could be on a DA somewhere. I hope Giratina behaves soon!

@Scherzando Thanks! Sorry for the second hand pain, but it just makes Raspberry's capture that much more satisfying. And something I'll never do again.

My Smeargle is Adamant + Technician holding Leftovers for recovery so I don't have to use a turn to heal. Her attacks are False Swipe / Soak / Spore / Gastro Acid. I picked Soak because it means I can also neutral hit Steel and Rock types and Spore any Grass type that doesn't have Dry Skin, and Gastro Acid for legends because it removes the Pressure on my Spores. It can also be used to remove water absorbing abilities on grass types, so I can then Soak and Spore anything. It also works on anything whose ability prevents sleep. If I had one more move slot, I would include Heal Pulse for Strugglers/Recoil attackers. She's fully IV bred in everything but Special Attack and has EVs in HP and Attack and has no problem tanking legends at level 81. Happy hatching on your end!

Congrats to kawaiiconcept on that shiny Espeon (gifts are always awesome!), and Cpchris on Skitty (I hope you find more Beldums soon)!

I'll update if I find anything. I haven't even started my next hunt yet. I'm behind on breeding that I owe people and am only now just getting to the point where I can comfortably go back to SRing without a waiting list of very patient people. xD

UPDATE HAPPENED:

I decided to do my SRs more casually today after Lugia happened. I wanted my shiny Suicune because I've been daydreaming about a doubles team featuring Sylveon and Suicune (even though I can't even use it at the Battle Maison, qq). and at 122 SRs, he shone! The bad news is, the Bold sync failed. But the good news is, I got Modest instead! \o/ I love it!

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/mq1kyaTb.jpg[/img139]

Last edited:

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
Congrats to everyone who got shinies (especially Shade - losing Lugia not once, but twice is hard. Good on you for not giving up!).

Thanks for the luck, Cpchris, lord knows I need it right now. I just hit 17,000 REs for Virbank Complex :/. Oh well, it'll be worth the wait (even if I end up getting another Patrat). I'm going to try and get to 20k before properly switching over to Giratina.

Good luck on your hunts, everyone, may your targets shine swiftly!

LilyValley

Useless Sceptile
So third time's the charm for the first stage of my Eevee search, as I hatched a third shiny Eevee from egg 467 (this is separate from what it took for the other two). Male, Bold with Anticipation! He has the egg move Wish, and the IVs are 31/x/31/31/31/31. Next will be Flareon and Leafeon, but I'm going to take a small break to evolve and then battle a bit. I'm quite sure I missed a lot of shinies here, so big congrats to all, and don't let those persistent targets frustrate you. Once I have more to report I'll post here again.

Last edited:

Conquering Storm

Driver of the Aegis
Well, I hatched my 600th Eevee egg on Y yesterday. Still no shiny. I guess my magical luck from last month is officially gone.

In other news, I got StreetPassed an Eon Ticket on Alpha Sapphire on Halloween, so I've been doing some SRing for a shiny Latios as it's one of my favorites. I haven't gotten in much progress on that, though, since I get easily bored with SRing. Does anyone have suggestions for a nickname once I finally get him? I've been trying to think of a gemstone-themed name, to match with Garnet the Latias (who isn't shiny, of course).

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
Well, I hatched my 600th Eevee egg on Y yesterday. Still no shiny. I guess my magical luck from last month is officially gone.

In other news, I got StreetPassed an Eon Ticket on Alpha Sapphire on Halloween, so I've been doing some SRing for a shiny Latios as it's one of my favorites. I haven't gotten in much progress on that, though, since I get easily bored with SRing. Does anyone have suggestions for a nickname once I finally get him? I've been trying to think of a gemstone-themed name, to match with Garnet the Latias (who isn't shiny, of course).

Considering that Latios's shiny form is green, I've pulled up a couple of names you could use:

Alexandrite, Amazonite, Gaspeite, Idocrase, Malachite, Seraphinite and Tourmaline. There's quite a lot of other names associated with green gems online too if these ones aren't appealing, all it takes is a quick Google search.

I hit 20k for Virbank so I'm stopping that hunt for a while and focussing on SRing for Giratina and Squirtle in FR/LG. Maybe Kanto and Sinnoh will be kinder to me than Unova is being right now. :p

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Well, I put myself through three weeks of torture on Pearl to get a wooper by Pokeradar chain. After many, many broken chains (and a few good ones), I finally got one.

On a 71 chain.

Yes, you read that right. SEVENTY-ONE If you don't believe me, I'll be glad to find a way to snap a photo of the 123 screen. And that's with no break, no soft resets, no 40-break-31 chain, that's a solid 71. I just kept grinding it. I figured the easiest way to handle pokeradar in the rain was to follow the same horizontal rows and vertical rows over and over again, and just make sure nothing in the path was shaking, so I wouldn't have to strain my eyes to see the shaking grass in the rain. I am officially done with making my Pearl pay me back for my 18-month buneary chain nightmare, if I play the game anymore before starting a new game it'll be by RE only, I'm tired of going down to the Underworld to dig up stuff to sell to get repels.

Also, during the week, I went back to Victory Road on X to try again for shiny lickitung for my shiny Rocketdex, got another shiny geodude. At least my soak trick works, though she did get to half health from magnitude before I caught her.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
While the Wonder Trade was still around, what was your best shiny through it? I was only ever able to get the aforementioned shiny Fearow