• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Cyberra

pain in the ***
After 1,308 pidove seen, I finally get my shiny pidove. A male, thankfully... He has Super Luck and is naive nature. Not looking for him to be competitive, just male and shiny.

For those who have Sun and Moon, how long are the SRs for a shiny starter? I want to try for litten when I get my paws on it and I'd like to know what I'm in for.

I Pink Elephant

Shiny Hunter
After 1,308 pidove seen, I finally get my shiny pidove. A male, thankfully... He has Super Luck and is naive nature. Not looking for him to be competitive, just male and shiny.

For those who have Sun and Moon, how long are the SRs for a shiny starter? I want to try for litten when I get my paws on it and I'd like to know what I'm in for.

Congratulations! :)

I cannot confirm as I have not played the games yet ( Five days until they are out in the UK... :( ) but from what I have read, SR'ing is a bit long. Around the time of X/Y, but again I am not completely sure.

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
WELP.

IT FINALLY HAPPENED.

AFTER 23,851 REs.

I FINALLY GOT SOMETHING FROM VIRBANK COMPLEX.

WHAT DID I GET?

010.jpg

I think this video sums up how I feel right now.

(Seriously though I'm glad I finally got something and at least Patrat looks nice. Thanks to all of you who've given me support through this ordeal - I think I'm going to take a break from hunting for a while now because this hunt thoroughly drained me - Virbank, this isn't over. I'll be back one day, just you wait! *shakes fist*)

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Talk about crazy luck, I was horde hunting again for lickitung in X (try #7 or something now) Tuesday night, and I got another shiny geodude instead. I decided to close and save the game for the night. The next night, I go to do another horde- BAM, shiny geodude again in the first horde. o_O That would definitely be my first case of back-to-back (more or less) shinies. Hopefully a lickitung will be forthcoming. I'll keep going back.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Shade on Suicune, LilyValley on Eevee, Paraqua on both Houndour, Dragalge on Elgyem, Cyberra on Giratina, Laurelai on Reshiram, Pluski on Terrakion, Crimson Penguin on Vulpix, Dragalge on Druddigon, maldoror on Cacnea, Conquering Storm on Eevee, Zenn of Ascension on Cresselia, Ascended Dialga on Weedle, Maldoror on Frillish, Laurelai on Latias, Manakete-Girl on Pidove, blasian amtrax on Mankey, Auraninja on Wingull, Samayouryu on Patrat (sorry :[ ), and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks for the congrats, Shade, Crimson Penguin (and thanks for the luck!), Nakashima, and Paraqua!

-------------

Before we move on to the 7th generation, what are you guys' favorite Kalos shinies? For me the incredibly appropriate shiny of Slurpuff gets the gold, while Furfrou gets the silver and Trevenant gets the bronze

I think my favorite would have to be the Tyrunt line. Fennekin, Trevenant, and Honedge are up there as well.

-------------

Wahoo :D Super happy with the shiny I found a couple hours ago! After 19,623 REs total, I found another swarm target on my HeartGold game. On the 323rd fishing encounter of the day, I found a shiny Qwilfish!

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/HSvCsP4.jpg[/IMG200]

Fishing hunts are pretty annoying (especially since I feel like I can’t watch any shows that I want to really pay attention to as I have to be watching or listening to get the encounter), so I’ve really been hoping to get the swarm fishing hunts out of the way. This was only the 2nd time I’d found Qwilfish swarming, too. Plus it’s just an awesome looking shiny! My Qwilfish is female, Brave nature, has Swift Swim, and the following IVs: 30 – 4 – 15 – 2 – 27 – 21.

Good luck, everyone (especially Crimson Penguin, Bumblebee5253, umbreonfan3636, CharlieDoryRose, SheroGH, G-Money, Martinzqx, tui, ChaoticInverse, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
What do you think your favorite shiny of the new Pokemon? My favorites are Baile Oricorio, Palossand and Guzzlord

Demonslayer492

Got it Memorized?
The legendaries, UBs and Tapus are shiny locked. And yes, i am still very sad about that.

That CAN NOT be true ;-;

There's no other pokemon worth shiny hunting in Sun and Moon. I can see the Mascot legends being locker and maybe the UBs but that just can't be true...But if it is then I am very very very saddend

maldoror

Per this video: https://youtu.be/caNqLDxNLFI the resets take almost three and a half minutes per.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector

Per this video: https://youtu.be/caNqLDxNLFI the resets take almost three and a half minutes per.

To add on to this, the last chance to save before selecting your starter pokemon is right before you and Lillie go back to town after the appearance of Tapu Koko. You have to get through a pretty lengthy bit of dialogue, a cut scene with the pokemon choosing you after you choose it, then some more dialogue before you can view the stats screen and find out if it's shiny or not. I'm currently SR'ing for natures for all 3 between the two games, hoping a shiny appears in the process, but not intending to commit to shiny hunting. I'd rather just breed for them later since it's so long between resets.

Congrats to those that have already found S/M shinies and good luck to everyone!

RedJirachi

Veteran member

Cyberra

pain in the ***

To add on to this, the last chance to save before selecting your starter pokemon is right before you and Lillie go back to town after the appearance of Tapu Koko. You have to get through a pretty lengthy bit of dialogue, a cut scene with the pokemon choosing you after you choose it, then some more dialogue before you can view the stats screen and find out if it's shiny or not. I'm currently SR'ing for natures for all 3 between the two games, hoping a shiny appears in the process, but not intending to commit to shiny hunting. I'd rather just breed for them later since it's so long between resets.

Congrats to those that have already found S/M shinies and good luck to everyone!

Best you just do Masuda Method

My stubbornness just kicked in. I'm gonna reset for a white fire kitten no matter how long it takes >|

In other news, I'm DexNaving for seviper on route 114. At 521 seviper seen. Once I get it, then I'll go after landorus.

Synnett

Stuff
I found a shiny Cutiefly in the meadow thing in Sun and Moon. Didn't take long lol.

It's Impish, capable of taking hits...

Last edited:

maldoror

Just got the fishing rod and decided to try it out. Second cast pulls up my first gen 7 shiny...a Magikarp.

Atome

Snowy Poochyena
So I'm 'chaining' for a salandit. Here's to hoping it's female? I'm nearly 40 mon's in and still in the first battle haah

Drakonekoshi

So I'm trying the new SOS battle method to get a shiny Cubone, it's been nearly 3 hours and my party is near fainted and I still haven't gotten anything, does this method really work..Then again, when i was hunting my first shiny Cubone in Y, i had a lot of bad luck, and lost 3 friends over mentioning it, so...

Re: I, Pink Elephant

It's a new thing in Sun/Moon where a wild Pokemon might call another pokemon for help, you can keep chaining this over and over again to get Pokemon with high IVs and stuff, and the chance of getting a shiny increases too, there should be a page on serebii.

Last edited:

I Pink Elephant

Shiny Hunter
Congratulations on all the new shines! Hope I am as lucky when my copy of Moon comes!

Been hatching countless number of eggs for the last few days trying to get a Caterpie to shine. I keep telling myself that I will get it in time, but my mind keeps wondering if I should take a brake and go after Mesprit instead. Or just take a brake from Shiny hunting and play some of the older games (Re-started White 2 (For Latias) and HeartGold (For Ho-Oh or Kyogre) recently so I can do some serious SR'ing!)

So I'm trying the new SOS battle method to get a shiny Cubone, it's been nearly 3 hours and my party is near fainted and I still haven't gotten anything, does this method really work..Then again, when i was hunting my first shiny Cubone in Y, i had a lot of bad luck, and lost 3 friends over mentioning it, so...

May one ask what this new 'SOS Battle' is? Sorry you have not been having much luck!

Last edited:

I Pink Elephant

Shiny Hunter
Well, its finally happened! After months of trying, I finally have a shiny Caterpie! Yahoo! It has three IVs (Hp, Sp.D and Speed. Not sure what its Sp.A is, but I do not care!)

[img139]http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y432/I_Pink_Elephant/CxrMtr9WIAAxNZJ.jpg%20large_zps5hwcyznk.jpeg[/img139]

[img139]http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y432/I_Pink_Elephant/CxrZ0wTXcAQMFzf.jpg%20large_zpsn7mxpoce.jpeg[/img139]

There are two main reasons why I love this shiny. The first is that, all those years ago when I was playing Pokemon Gold, I found a shiny Butterfree. I was amazed! I had no idea there where shiny Pokemon outside off Gyarados. I did not catch it, but it was my first step to becoming the shiny hunter that I today! The second reason is a little more personally. Around two years ago, I had a bit of problems with my mental health (OCD, intrusive thoughts etc) and while it was a scary time, I came out of it a different person. I am a lot more confident and stronger then I was. Its a bit cliche, but I think of it like I have emerged from a cocoon. Like a butterfly. I actually plan to have a tattoo of a shiny Butterfree in the near future, hence the name.

Anyway, good luck to you all! Now to decide if I go for Mesprit or Regirock...

RedJirachi

Veteran member
So I'm 'chaining' for a salandit. Here's to hoping it's female? I'm nearly 40 mon's in and still in the first battle haah

It and Vespiquen have to be the rarest non-legendary shinies

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
I am soooo depressed right now. Now that the game is out in the US people have confirmed that shiny alolan starters aren't visible from the initial cutscene. Which means a single reset is probably going to take almost 4 minutes... so much for my plans to start with a shiny Litten.

Nah. When I get Sun I'll just start playing with Rowlet. I'll try resetting for the white kitty when I eventually get Moon. Though I'm gonna need all the patience and moral support I can get since it will take me a few days just to get 1000 encounters in. But even though I'll probably have to hunt for weeks, I really want him. And shiny starters that aren't picked as starters aren't really the same imo.

Grats to everyone for their shinies!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I am soooo depressed right now. Now that the game is out in the US people have confirmed that shiny alolan starters aren't visible from the initial cutscene. Which means a single reset is probably going to take almost 4 minutes... so much for my plans to start with a shiny Litten.

Nah. When I get Sun I'll just start playing with Rowlet. I'll try resetting for the white kitty when I eventually get Moon. Though I'm gonna need all the patience and moral support I can get since it will take me a few days just to get 1000 encounters in. But even though I'll probably have to hunt for weeks, I really want him. And shiny starters that aren't picked as starters aren't really the same imo.

Grats to everyone for their shinies!

When you get to the nickname screen you can see whether or not they're shiny. I've seen people finding them on Youtube. I'm going to SR litten no matter how long the SRs take.

Still working on seviper. I'm up to 874 seen.

Edit: After 939 seviper seen, a blue-fanged serpent appears on my screen. He's lax nature and highly curious, with Shed Skin and Swallow as an egg move. I think he had a 1- or 2-star potential, but I was distracted so I wasn't really looking.

Going to get set up for SRing landorus now. That hunt begins tomorrow.

Last edited: