• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
Congrats to everybody who's been getting shinies so far - especially those hunting in Sun and Moon - I hope to be joining you on the 23rd!

Soooo remember how I was saying that maybe Sinnoh and Kanto would be kinder to me?

001.jpg

This beauty came at 4379 SRs - and also counts as my first successful legendary Pokemon hunt! He appeared in Pearl, and is Bashful natured and likes to fight (though I'm not into competitive battling with my shinies so that doesn't matter to me). I nicknamed him Lucifer because the golden colour makes me think that this is what he looked like before Arceus banished him.

So yeah, the literal Pokemon equivalent of the devil was kinder to me than Virbank was.

Thanks, Satan.

Nakashima

Congratulations to Zenn of Ascension on Cresselia, Ascended Dialga on Weedle, Paraqua on Bronzor and Skarmory, maldoror on Frillish and Magikarp, Laurelai on Latias, Bowlbasaur on Houndour, Gastly, Vulpix, Solosis and Charmander, Pluski on Virizion, Manakete-girl on Pidove (finally for 544 eggs tho? uhh..), Blasian amtrax on Mankey, Auraninja on Wingull, JohnNiles on Cyndaquil, Magikarp, Flaaffy, Krabby, Zubat and Rattata, Cyberra on Pidove and Seviper, Samayouru on Patrat (though Im so freaking sorry) and Giratina wobbanut on Geodude x2, Cpchris on Qwilfish, Synnett on Cutiefly, I, Pink Elephant on Caterpie.

Alright, so with Sun/Moon out (sorry my European friends!) Ive been a bit distracted in my hunt for Bulbasaur. Have to play through Sun ^^ I was planning to SR for at least a few hours for a starter, but I didnt anticipate having to save way before getting to pick a starter, so I screwed that up. Oh well, I'll revisit that idea when I eventually get Moon. Which will take a will, says my wallet. Currently just moved onto the 2nd island, about 10 hours into gameplay. Yeah, snails pace, but I want to be sure I see everything there is to see :)

As for my Bulbasaur hunt, I've been hatching when my US system needs to charge and I thus cant play Sun. Since I'm hunting for Bulbasaur on my EU system/game it kind of works out. Anyways, I did quite a bit of hatching yesterday while watching Netflix with the husband. I've gotten up to 965 eggs. Man, was I hoping to avoid the quadruple didgits.. But it's really looking like I'll be hitting that 1k soon. If anything, I expect to hit 1k at this point. I dont see much hope for a sudden shiny in the next 35 eggs. But only time will tell right. I'll likely do some more hatching tonight, as I cant really play Sun when I'm supposed to be paying attention to whatever the heck is playing on the tv.

Good luck to everyone, especially those going over odds, hope you sparkles appear soon ^^

Gligari

Shiny Hunter
This was the Gen I was going to start out with a shiny starter. I even got a friend who wasn't previously into shiny hunting to do it with me. Even after it came out that the resets take about 3 minutes each. My friend went for litten I went for Rowlett. After about 25 resets I accidentally went to the nickname screen and was going to reset when I looked down and saw a shiny Rowlett on my screen. Im so excited that it took under 100 resets. Sadly my friend is at about 400 right now and he is pretty angry. Hes never tried to get a shiny before and i told him it was monotonous and hard work. Nonethless I'm having a blast starting out my first generation with a shiny starter.

Good luck on all your gen 7 pokemon hunts! Especially you brave souls going for the starters through SR.

WolfeyStar

Ganbaruby!
I was testing out the new "chaining" method in Sun, and I was able to catch my first shiny of generation seven, Vulpix! I didn't even notice at first, my sister had to point it out to me since the shiny and non-shiny versions look so similar.

Also, luck to all with their hunts! May the sparkles grace your screen soon!

Last edited:

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Got my first gen 7 shiny through SOS battles, and it's a Timid Cutiefly! Wasn't even using Synchronize either! Nicknamed him Raspberry, and can't wait to use it in competitive battles!

So I'm 'chaining' for a salandit. Here's to hoping it's female? I'm nearly 40 mon's in and still in the first battle haah

You can get a male Cleffa/Fairy/Fable with Cute Charm in the front of your party and it basically flip flops those odds.

Last edited:

Elite4woolfy

✽✽✽✽✽✽
I'm currently breeding for a shiny Dewgong, I'm on my 6th PC box

Marvs

Shinneeee!
I'm currently breeding for a shiny Dewgong, I'm on my 6th PC box

Each to their own, but I find it quicker to collect and hatch 5 eggs then soft reset and repeat. Then you don't have a ton of pokemon to release etc after!

Atome

Snowy Poochyena
So decided to take a break on my salandit hunt, the constant poisoning and burning was driving me mad, so I decided to go for rockruff...and dang it the sand attacks ahah. I might train up some birds for this, but I'm already nearly 200 in count.

umbreonfan3636

I really didn't want to go through the 3 minute cut scene to SR for my starter at the beginning. I just got to Route 5, and am starting an Adamant Baton Pass Rowlet MM. I used the GTS to get a Flame Body Magby, and with the running Tauros, the hatching isn't taking long at all.

Good luck to everyone else who is hunting!

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I evolved my shiny Wingull, and shortly after, I got a shiny on the "corner-Wimpod" mini-game.

I did not risk it, so I through a Dusk Ball.

It is Bold, which is kind of unfortunate.
Attack gets nature nerf, but IV boost.
Defense gets IV nerf, but nature boost.

Elite4woolfy

✽✽✽✽✽✽
Each to their own, but I find it quicker to collect and hatch 5 eggs then soft reset and repeat. Then you don't have a ton of pokemon to release etc after!

The pokemon in the egg, their gender, nature, IV's and whether or not they're shiny, is determined when you get the egg, not when you hatch the egg.
But yeah, if it worked that way, I would do it like that.

One time, I ran into a shiny Wooper in SoulSilver and threw an Ultra Ball, but it STILL got out! I was out of pokeballs.

Last edited:

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
So I'm on Route 3 hunting for Pokémon that I don't have yet, and BOOM! Shiny Spearow appeared. I just caught my first Moon shiny :D A shiny is a shiny I can't complain :D

[IMG300]http://i.imgur.com/n1XDUw1.jpg[/IMG300]
[IMG300]http://i.imgur.com/tHYzdPZ.jpg[/IMG300]

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
The pokemon in the egg, their gender, nature, IV's and whether or not they're shiny, is determined when you get the egg, not when you hatch the egg.
But yeah, if it worked that way, I would do it like that.

One time, I ran into a shiny Wooper in SoulSilver and threw an Ultra Ball, but it STILL got out! I was out of pokeballs.

Thst's not what he meant - you save your game in front of the breeder, collect the first egg. Then you hatch the other eggs as they fill up your party. If you don't get a shiny, soft reset and repeat until you get a shiny.

Elite4woolfy

✽✽✽✽✽✽
Thst's not what he meant - you save your game in front of the breeder, collect the first egg. Then you hatch the other eggs as they fill up your party. If you don't get a shiny, soft reset and repeat until you get a shiny.

Oh, ok. But that still takes up more time, and I get LOADS of PokeMiles from wonder trading them all.

Nakashima

Congratulations to Gligari on Rowlett, WolfeyStar on Vulpix, Erron Black on Cutiefly, Auraninja on Wimpod, and NintendoFan82 on Spearow!

Did NOT expect to come back with another post so soon, but it actually happened ^^ Alright, lil bit of boring backstory because apparantly, thats just what I do. I ordered a copy of Pokemon Moon to SR for starters in, because man, I cant resist those little cuties, but I dont want to be stuck SRing in Sun and being unable to actually enjoy the game either. So, I got my game in this afternoon, and I set it up to be ready to SR for a starter. I wasnt going to start actually hunting until I got my Bulbasaur done though.
The dang Bulbasaur that was sitting at 995 when I got Moon set up. Yeah, wasnt feeling very hopeful with that one anymore. But, I figured I might as well get to that 1000 mark and get that over with.

Egg 1000. Shiny. What.

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/WvuS8Dn.jpg[/img139]

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/BETORi4.jpg[/img139]

Very glad to finally have this shiny! I've since evolved it into a Ivysaur, which means that I've completed that evolution line. Man, that feels good!
Now, I'll likely SR for both Litten and either Squirtle or Charmander on 3rd gen, we'll see what happens with those. For now, it's going to be Litten.

tonyg44x

Poke-Ballin'
Haven't posted in a while but im back with news. Managed to nab the Heatran in OR sync failed but im still pleased. And then more recently, today in fact, on my first encounter of the day i ran into a shiny magnemite. Its my first time getting one and my first shiny of gen 7, would've preferred a gen 7 mon but its still one i didnt have so no complaints. Serious nature so i'll evolve it for shiny dex purposes but it wont get used. Dont have any hunts planned, but ill post any future randoms.

Gratz on all recent shinies and good luck on all current hunts!

[IMG139]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e376/agoff4/image_zps4urgq7gs.jpeg[/IMG139]

PS: Anyone else disappointed in the new sparkles? They're pretty lackluster imo.

Atome

Snowy Poochyena
PHEW.
I was chaining this puppy all day. Save in front of grass patch, find rockruff, use adrenaline orb, false swipe one of them, then continuously knock out the one they summon as help until all six pokemon are completely out of PP.

Soft reset, rinse and repeat. I had literally JUST soft reset, and this was THE FIRST BATTLE IN THE GRASS. THE SHINY WAS THE FIRST TO POP UP. I’M SO HYPE. It broke out of my only moon ball which I cry over but YESSS.

tumblr_oh14d5JuCM1uw22pjo1_1280.jpg

WOO.
Level 10, quiet, hates to lose, and female. My babyyyyyy.

Paraqua

Beginning Trainer
Congrats to all recent shinies

I just couldn't resist doing one more Masuda method hunt before Sun and Moon's European release.

And after 169 eggs, a shiny Ekans hatched

Male (Nicknamed Jafar), Jolly Nature through everstone, Shed Skin ability (Might change that to Intimidation) and perfect IV's in Sp. ATK, Sp. DEF and Speed

But before this Masuda hunt I did some dex nav hunting which resulted in:

Shiny Tyrogue
Male (Tyson)
Lv. 27
Gentle nature
Guts ability

Shiny Aipom
Female (Vambre)
Lv. 38
Serious Nature
Pick up ability

Good luck to all future shinies

Last edited:

Yoitsdaffy

Shiny Collector~
So yesterday afternoon I found a shiny alolan cubone! Not even an hour later a shiny oricorio graces me with its presence. :) such a good day. Hope you guys have as much fun hunting those new pokes as I enjoy hearing about them. Keep it up!

[Img200h]http://i.imgur.com/BuBXTsX.jpg[/img200h]

[Img200h]http://i.imgur.com/kBWF80F.jpg[/img200h]